Game v Doggies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

Game v Doggies

Big game next week against the Doggies.
I know we played an awesome second half against them last time and created some history, but they SMASHED us in the first half.

They dominated the poor old Lions tonight with a massive spread of goal kickers

How will we stop
Stringer and Boyd who kicked 9 between them
Bob Murphy's drive off half back has been instrumental all year
Whilst The Bont could explode at any time.

Will be a really good test, both teams very similarly placed in the rebuild phase, they are probably more advanced but I'm excited for the test

Go Saints

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Re: Game v Doggies

Boyd's 4 goal game was the worst 4 goal game I've ever seen.
Looks a mile off it at the moment. 1,000,000 miles actually.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

They are a good side and ahead of us in development despite our heroics of earlier this year. They will be out to prove a point and will hit us with everything, so we'd better be switched on. Our undersized defence is a worry

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone else think the draw is ridiculous?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Does anyone else think the draw is ridiculous?
Don't we play Melbourne soon as well?

I think we will struggle next week but I do hope we WIN!

YEP..WIN!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I don't want to be pessimistic (and I hope I'm wrong) but I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves. We've beaten noone really. This place is sometimes like all those commentators who crap on about some flavour of the week team are world beaters one week (like the Saints last week) and then say how bad the team is the next week when they get flogged - rinse and repeat.

Like I said I hope I'm wrong because I would love to win plenty more games this year but, with such a hard fixture, it doesn't look promising (as I said, I hope I'm wrong). Just don't go too overboard on here. We've got to be more level headed about our prospects - we're not Richmond.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Jacks Back wrote:I don't want to be pessimistic (and I hope I'm wrong) but I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves. We've beaten noone really. This place is sometimes like all those commentators who crap on about some flavour of the week team are world beaters one week (like the Saints last week) and then say how bad the team is the next week when they get flogged - rinse and repeat.

Like I said I hope I'm wrong because I would love to win plenty more games this year but, with such a hard fixture, it doesn't look promising (as I said, I hope I'm wrong). Just don't go too overboard on here. We've got to be more level headed about our prospects - we're not Richmond.
+1.

Not enough time to revel in our wins. The Bulldogs and Demons will be really
fired up and two wins seems highly unlikely.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I read a review of the Footscray game that said that the Dogs only lead by 9 points at one stage in the 3rd, and weren't that impressive against rubbish.

The big factor is the bye - we will be fresh and sloppy after a week off. They could and should totally smash us in the first term or two like last time as we get back into the swing of it.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Both Footscray and Melbourne were humiliated by us this season, albeit in different circumstances, but those wins were still very different to those we had against GC and Brisbane. Footscray will definitely be fired up next Saturday for us, and we may be a little slow to get into gear. Hopefully Fisher can come back in as it looks like they will have a bit more fire power than last time. Since that game they have thrashed two sides and are looking like they are hitting their stride. But I saw a bit of the game last night and they were making a lot of mistakes in the first three quarters. The final quarter looked ominous.
Melbourne will be fired up because of the whole 'worst 41 seconds ever in footy fiasco' and all the criticism of Roos and Toumpas in particular, and their on field leadership in general. I also think that Melbourne are a far better side at the MCG, while we are awful there. I reckon we will win one out of two of these games, but definitely not both.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 21 Jun 2015 9:52am, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I read a review of the Footscray game that said that the Dogs only lead by 9 points at one stage in the 3rd, and weren't that impressive against rubbish.

The big factor is the bye - we will be fresh and sloppy after a week off. They could and should totally smash us in the first term or two like last time as we get back into the swing of it.
Well they won by twelve goals SP, 72 points, and kicked 23 goals, 146 points, and before that they did a similar thing against GWS (when they had Mumford in the side). But I take your point, they were unimpressive in the first three quarters, but remember they had five, yes five, teenagers in that side last night, and they kicked nine goals in the last quarter. The way they finished Brisbane off was ruthless. We will need to be 'on' from the first bounce next Saturday.

A Saturday night game in the school holidays means that hopefully we will get a really good members and barrackers turnout, and we can place a bit of perceived pressure on them. Younger sides can struggle with that.

EDIT: It is a replacement home game for the Bulldogs so their members treat it as a home game. Could be a big crowd - hopefully 40,000.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 21 Jun 2015 9:38am, edited 1 time in total.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:I don't want to be pessimistic (and I hope I'm wrong) but I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves. We've beaten noone really. This place is sometimes like all those commentators who crap on about some flavour of the week team are world beaters one week (like the Saints last week) and then say how bad the team is the next week when they get flogged - rinse and repeat.

+1.

Not enough time to revel in our wins. The Bulldogs and Demons will be really
fired up and two wins seems highly unlikely.
And keep our perspective during the final six rounds when we will lose every game and cop a few hidings as well.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

It is. I want bragging rights for a year when we win, not just a couple of weeks. It will be better when there are 20 teams and you play everyone once

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
It is. I want bragging rights for a year when we win, not just a couple of weeks. It will be better when there are 20 teams and you play everyone once

No it wouldn't. The footy would be worse for a start and secondly we would get 3 less games. And when has the fixture ever had bragging rights for a year?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:I read a review of the Footscray game that said that the Dogs only lead by 9 points at one stage in the 3rd, and weren't that impressive against rubbish.

Well they won by twelve goals SP, 72 points, and kicked 23 goals, 146 points, and before that they did a similar thing against GWS (when they had Mumford in the side). But I take your point, they were unimpressive in the first three quarters, but remember they had five, yes five, teenagers in that side last night, and they kicked nine goals in the last quarter. The way they finished Brisbane off was ruthless. We will need to be 'on' from the first bounce next Saturday.

A Saturday night game in the school holidays means that hopefully we will get a really good members and barrackers turnout, and we can place a bit of perceived pressure on them. Younger sides can struggle with that.

EDIT: It is a replacement home game for the Bulldogs so their members treat it as a home game. Could be a big crowd - hopefully 40,000.
I can't see a 40K crowd even with the replacement issue. They don't have many fans. Maybe 35K.

Of more pressing concern is that if I can make it. We fly to Bali the next morning for a 2 week holiday, and have a kids party in Dromana Saturday arvo. This is real first world problem stuff. I need help.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

No it wouldn't. The footy would be worse for a start and secondly we would get 3 less games. And when has the fixture ever had bragging rights for a year?
Three fewer games would be fine with me. Play everyone once would be the perfect solution to the AFL's laughable "fixture", which - as we all know - is all about TV rights and revenue.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Three fewer games would be fine with me. Play everyone once would be the perfect solution to the AFL's laughable "fixture", which - as we all know - is all about TV rights and revenue.

Exactly. Keeps us alive. Imagine less money in the game. They wouldn't be helping us survive. secondly the standard of footy would be much poorer and we would have to have more compromised drafts and where are these sides located anyway? I hope we never have a 20 team competition.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Exactly. Keeps us alive. Imagine less money in the game. They wouldn't be helping us survive. secondly the standard of footy would be much poorer and we would have to have more compromised drafts and where are these sides located anyway? I hope we never have a 20 team competition.
12 suited me fine.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

12 suited me fine.

Me, too. But they kept adding teams because there was more money in it. So might as well go the whole hog and at least have a number of teams that allows an equitable "fixture".

The AFL's pretensions to being a sporting competition will always be questioned under the current system. The fact is, some teams get an easier draw than others.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

12 suited me fine.

Well that's the end of the Saints then. We need the AFL to want to keep 18 sides and also 22 games. We also need the AFL to make good money so they want to keep 18 sides.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

12 suited me fine.

Well that's the end of the Saints then. We need the AFL to want to keep 18 sides and also 22 games. We also need the AFL to make good money so they want to keep 18 sides.
So 12 sides was not enough to keep us in the game and 20 teams is what - too many teams to keep us alive then? With 20 teams you can still have a 22 game season - it's just less sides you play twice. They can still keep the derby's and maybe the other two extra games can be against the sides that finish around you the year before. More compromised drafts can't be good though unless we're somewhere near the top of the ladder when they happen.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I agree the fixture is ridiculous. At first sight I thought it was a great idea but as it pans out it's proving a bit silly.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

12 suited me fine.

So 12 sides was not enough to keep us in the game and 20 teams is what - too many teams to keep us alive then? With 20 teams you can still have a 22 game season - it's just less sides you play twice. They can still keep the derby's and maybe the other two extra games can be against the sides that finish around you the year before. More compromised drafts can't be good though unless we're somewhere near the top of the ladder when they happen.
Of course we would be out if they had 12 sides. And when did I say 20 was to many to keep us alive. I said I don't want it because it weakens the game and I don't want the game weakened. I also think 19 games does make it harder for us to survive because it is less money in the game. I agree you could have 22 games but that wasn't what BC was saying.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

bob murphy is easy
just line him up in a nice tackle

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Getting back on topic, next week looks to be a daunting task. The Doggies are in great form. In our favour - a week's break, it's at Etihad, team confidence is up, Fisher could be available. Let's just hope that we bring our A game. Add McKenzie for a bit more pace?

Milne
Club Player

Don't think we'll beat the doggies next week. I think they will have spent a bit of time reviewing what went wrong in that second half for them.

I'm hoping for a close hard-fought game with our boys giving it their all. The result in secondary.