What has been missed in the excitement of Sunday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

What has been missed in the excitement of Sunday

While the focus has been on Melbourne for not getting players behind the ball once they got in front, one major issue has been forgotten.

The Saints had two opportunities to ice the game and could not.

The first with two minutes to go was when the Saints allowed Hogan an uncontested mark 40 metres out. Really how in hell did Hogan get the space to take a chest mark with the game that close?

Second was when Hogan missed with less than 90 seconds on the clock. Melbourne zoned well, but nobody presented short for Montagna to kick to. there was no leads anfd Joey had to kick to himself and then bomb to the wing where Gawn marked and passed to an unmarked (again) Howe who kicked what should have beent he winning goal.

The Saints have gotten off lightly. A good team would have killed the clock and not allowed Melbourne those two opportunities. So while it was agreat and exciting win, I am sure the coaching staff will be reviewing the final two minutes. Those types of lapses will cost games that could ultimately cost a finals berth (not this year obviously).

Second point is that the Saints are only playing good football or reasonably competitive football at Ethihad. Most other venues we are struggling apart from the win against the Qld teams (where was the Brisbane game cant remember).

So we have much to work on. the team is in transition and even with four wins I think they have exceeded many of our expectations. Personally I think we will struggle in the second half and finish between 14th and 18th. This should ensure another quality draftee.

Signs are promising but don't be fooled by Sunday's result, we should have lost and it would have been our poor finishing in front of goal in the last qtr and our inability to ice the clock.

You are garbage - Enough said
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: What has been missed in the excitement of Sunday

I think we missed a multitude of opportunities to win the game. In fact if we had lost, it would have been one we really threw away. Thankfully Melbourne were utterly insipid at the centre bounce after they hit the front. Don't get me wrong, still a great win.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

yep.
... thats why i was up and stomping around the cafe like a banshee
Where were our heads !!!
... our high octane approach certainly leaves the lads spent.
... but as mentioned by bucks on 360 re teams and their football lessons
(though not specifically on this issue)
We got both the 'lesson' and the 4 points.

Melbourne just got the 'lesson'.

Go Us.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
spert
Saintsational Legend

There's a lot of micro analysis about the game on Sunday, but really it was a matter of the game isn't over until the final siren, and so many games have been won in dying moments or with kicks after the siren, during the history of our game. AR still needs to get the defensive game generally working a lot better, but we seem to be getting there slowly.

FQF
SS Life Member

What really has been missed in the excitement of Sunday was how Jesse Hogan tore our defence to shreds. He got his first opponent subbed out of the game and continued kicking goals with ease after that. We need to do better than that, and I wonder how Hugh Goddard would have gone on him had he been picked. Hogan was the only reason they were in the game.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

15 minutes of the last quarter was spent around our goal. The inside 50's were something like 17 to 5. We were just too bomby in the final term. Had we been a little more polished (which will come with time) we would have steam rolled over Melbourne by 6 goals or so.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

prwilkinson wrote:15 minutes of the last quarter was spent around our goal. The inside 50's were something like 17 to 5. We were just too bomby in the final term. Had we been a little more polished (which will come with time) we would have steam rolled over Melbourne by 6 goals or so.
Don't know about that. Roos employed the uberflood ala Sydney 2005, and the bomb to the pack is a specific tactic used to bring the crummers into play. We overplayed the tactic a bit too much in the final qtr and, as you say, we will learn from that error, and the final two minutes.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:15 minutes of the last quarter was spent around our goal. The inside 50's were something like 17 to 5. We were just too bomby in the final term. Had we been a little more polished (which will come with time) we would have steam rolled over Melbourne by 6 goals or so.
Don't know about that. Roos employed the uberflood ala Sydney 2005, and the bomb to the pack is a specific tactic used to bring the crummers into play. We overplayed the tactic a bit too much in the final qtr and, as you say, we will learn from that error, and the final two minutes.
If we were more patient with the ball we could have threaded a few more passes to create shots. Mind you, Dunstan hit the post, Bruce sprayed an absolute gimme, Rooey kicked it out in the full(sore knee) Minchington missed one and didn't make the distance. We were lucky in the end but the Dees were lucky to have been still in the match to have pinched it.
Last edited by prwilkinson on Tue 16 Jun 2015 4:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Second point is that the Saints are only playing good football or reasonably competitive football at Ethihad. Most other venues we are struggling apart from the win against the Qld teams (where was the Brisbane game cant remember).
We've won at 50% of the grounds we've played at.

Last year it was 11%.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:There's a lot of micro analysis about the game on Sunday, but really it was a matter of the game isn't over until the final siren, and so many games have been won in dying moments or with kicks after the siren, during the history of our game. AR still needs to get the defensive game generally working a lot better, but we seem to be getting there slowly.

They kicked one goal in the last term. Do you look for every negative in Richo every game? In another thread you had a go at the forward structure.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:What really has been missed in the excitement of Sunday was how Jesse Hogan tore our defence to shreds. He got his first opponent subbed out of the game and continued kicking goals with ease after that. We need to do better than that, and I wonder how Hugh Goddard would have gone on him had he been picked. Hogan was the only reason they were in the game.
I don't think Hogan kicked any after Delaney went off, did he?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:What really has been missed in the excitement of Sunday was how Jesse Hogan tore our defence to shreds. He got his first opponent subbed out of the game and continued kicking goals with ease after that. We need to do better than that, and I wonder how Hugh Goddard would have gone on him had he been picked. Hogan was the only reason they were in the game.
Good post - was he a high draft pick? Melbourne can build around him
Interesting that the other high draft pick (Watts), played high and picked up 25 touches and used it well
I think we got the chocolates in Sunday but if I were a Melb fan with these 2, Brayshaw, Viney, Petracca in my future.... I wouldn't be crying just yet....
We win and our 2 best players are in their 30s....

“Yeah….nah””
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The good and bad of Sam Gilbert was missed.
He took some really good intercept marks (even if he did outmark Dempster twice) and showed his trademark godawful foot skills and sloppy ball handling.

It means that Shenton is done as Roberton will come back into the team. We can't have both Shenton and Gilbert disposing of the ball inside the defensive 50.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I thought he had five before Dempster went on to him. I thought Sean went well on Hogan...All but stopped his influence and provided his usual intercept marking and rebound. It also stopped Gilbert flying against Dempster at every contest.

Hogan was clearly too mobile for Delaney but most of Hogan's goals were as a result of a lack of pressure on the ball carrier. Jones pin pointed two low spear passes to Hogan in the first quarter that nobody could have stopped.

SMS
Club Player

Small steps.
We are winning the ball and pressure gauge in 2015.

Icing the game comes with experience. We are grtting the main things right first

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Dont understand this 'should have lost' statement.

We won, and 'should have' won by more.

We kicked 4 straight behinds in the last quarter, 3 of which were very kickable, and realistically dominated the majority of the term.

Melbourne got on 1 fast break out of their defence which resulted in a behind and then goal from our kick in turnover.

I will agree however that we need to learn to ice the game as well, where it's been Melbourne who have copped it in the media, while we were 2 points up with 90 seconds left and in possession. That should be game over in itself.

However, I will not buy into this lucky to win argument. I firmly believe we were the better team the majority of the match and just were a bit too inexperienced and/or indecisive to really put Melbourne away.

I predict a 5+ goal margin when we play them next in 5 weeks, barring any major injuries etc of course.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:Dont understand this 'should have lost' statement.

We won, and 'should have' won by more.

We kicked 4 straight behinds in the last quarter, 3 of which were very kickable, and realistically dominated the majority of the term.

Melbourne got on 1 fast break out of their defence which resulted in a behind and then goal from our kick in turnover.

I will agree however that we need to learn to ice the game as well, where it's been Melbourne who have copped it in the media, while we were 2 points up with 90 seconds left and in possession. That should be game over in itself.

However, I will not buy into this lucky to win argument. I firmly believe we were the better team the majority of the match and just were a bit too inexperienced and/or indecisive to really put Melbourne away.

I predict a 5+ goal margin when we play them next in 5 weeks, barring any major injuries etc of course.
Yes we were the better team on the day, and deserved to win the game, however when Melbourne hit the front with 41 seconds to go, we should have lost it. Melbourne have been rightly caned for not dropping the wings back and the half forwards not coming up to fill the wingers space.

We got the right bounce of the ball, plus some excellent play from Steven and Lonie, but Steven should never had go that type of space.

So I agree we deserved to win, but should have lost. They are mutually exclusive. However the right result was achieved in the Saints winning.

We got a lesson in icing a game plus an exciting win. We will learn to ice the clock, and at least when we hit the front with 20 seconds to go, the Saints dropped players back.

spert
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:There's a lot of micro analysis about the game on Sunday, but really it was a matter of the game isn't over until the final siren, and so many games have been won in dying moments or with kicks after the siren, during the history of our game. AR still needs to get the defensive game generally working a lot better, but we seem to be getting there slowly.

They kicked one goal in the last term. Do you look for every negative in Richo every game? In another thread you had a go at the forward structure.
Yes mate, if there's negatives, then I will highlight them, and I do acknowledge the positives too. I'm sure Richo has a big list of negatives he is working on right now after ticking off the positives. Any more grief from you and I will send Watters around to your place.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes mate, if there's negatives, then I will highlight them, and I do acknowledge the positives too. I'm sure Richo has a big list of negatives he is working on right now after ticking off the positives. Any more grief from you and I will send Watters around to your place.

He already lives with me.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Interesting that the other high draft pick (Watts), played high and picked up 25 touches and used it well
Watts??? Got soft possesions as one of the Dees 2 loose men, and every time was under pressure cracked. I would be very disappointed if our first pick the draft went on a Watts Mark 2. Might as well lust after Jason Cloke. Players who can only play not on an opponent are about as useful as titts on a bull.

Meanwhile Pick No 42 roved the ball passed it to Pick No 41 who took the ball brilliantly who passed it back to Pick No 42 who then kicked to the hot-spot where Pick No 37 ran in beautifully to be in the right spot at the right time to ice the game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:The good and bad of Sam Gilbert was missed.
He took some really good intercept marks (even if he did outmark Dempster twice) and showed his trademark godawful foot skills and sloppy ball handling.

It means that Shenton is done as Roberton will come back into the team. We can't have both Shenton and Gilbert disposing of the ball inside the defensive 50.
There are a lot of "can't haves" posted on here.

Can't have Dunstan and Ross in the same team. Can't have Shenton and Gilbert together in the back line.

Oh yes we can and we did. Won too.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Watts??? Got soft possesions as one of the Dees 2 loose men, and every time was under pressure cracked. I would be very disappointed if our first pick the draft went on a Watts Mark 2. Might as well lust after Jason Cloke. Players who can only play not on an opponent are about as useful as titts on a bull.

Meanwhile Pick No 42 roved the ball passed it to Pick No 41 who took the ball brilliantly who passed it back to Pick No 42 who then kicked to the hot-spot where Pick No 37 ran in beautifully to be in the right spot at the right time to ice the game.
Donuts for Watts re tackles on the weekend. Ultimate seagull who is softer than Kim Kardashians arse

Legendary
Club Player

Hogan didn't actually dominate. The delivery of the ball to him which resulted in his first two goals was perfect - low, hard, straight passes about 30cm off the ground and out in front of him. Even SOS would have been scratching his head on how to get a fist in. Yes, Hogan converted both chances - but the delivery was centimetre perfect.

He got another one over the back running onto the footy - arguable his opponent should have been checking him more closely, but it still involved an element of luck.

I think he just made the most of his 4 or 5 chances. I don't think it was a concern for our defence. Having said that, Hogan will be an outstanding player in a couple more years - very strong hands, very good at leading to the right spots and a great kick.

Legendary
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote: Donuts for Watts re tackles on the weekend. Ultimate seagull who is softer than Kim Kardashians arse
His miss from 20m out with no pressure was deplorable. Such a spud of a footballer.

Rumour is that the most anyone offered last year was a 3rd round pick- apparently Demons hierarchy were shopping him harder than a Frankston stripper who just won Tatts...

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
I think we got the chocolates in Sunday but if I were a Melb fan with these 2, Brayshaw, Viney, Petracca in my future.... I wouldn't be crying just yet....
We win and our 2 best players are in their 30s....
Why do you talk up the opposition at the expense of the Saints all the time? You sure you are a Saints supporter.

You talk about Brayshaw, Viney, Petracca (even though how you would know what he is like considering he has yet to play an AFL match).

here are some names for you, Billing, Dunstan, Acres, Lonie, Dmac, Sinclair, and two who have not been seen McCartin and Goddard. Add to that probably a Parish, Tucker or Mathesion. Will you talk up them or do you just barrack for anyone but the Saints?

And our two best players all year have been Armitage and Steven hardly in their 30's, mid twenties.

This age obsession of yours is pretty weird. Are you saying that Riewoldt and Montagna don't deserve to be in the team because of their age? Are you really advocating this?

Anyway it was jack Steven's explosive pace, and Lonies recovery and look away handball to a rampaging Steven who got us over the line. Fell into Joeys lap, but I suppose because he is in his 30's it shouldn't count :roll:

But keep talking down the Saints, your true colours show with every post. You and Citywest make an excellent couple. Both have tremendous football nous :roll: