Flog Maher bags "only 9,800 members" in attendance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Flog Maher bags "only 9,800 members" in attendance

Does Andy Flog Maher have any idea that we only have 30K members?

Does Flog Maher understand that a third of membership barcodes were scanned in today?

Does Flog Maher understand we had a promo that enabled members to each get a freebee in, which accounted for some of the other half of the non-member crowd?

Does Flog Maher know for other teams what their ratio of members in attendance to total members is??

Really sad we have commentators so clueless and illinformed on SEN like that drop kick

I bet if Dasher Parkin was doing our game the intellengence level would've gone up 5 fold.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Flog Maher bags "only 9,800 members" in attendance

What are you on about?

noob
Club Player

Pretty weak effort by the saints members then. 20k missing. Andy maher is right on this one

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SEN were quite critical we only had 9800 members at the ground today. I agree with Con. Well over half the crowd were members when kids and some mates were free. What were the morons comparing the figure to?
Sounds like a good number to me, but I've got nothing to compare it to.

I heard the comments.

It followed a call to SEn from a young woman who has barracked for Sants all of her life and was virtually pleading for Saints supporters to go to the games and basically "keep the faith"

What annoyed the hell out of me was his comments somewhat patronising tone about hangng in there and our day will come.

Well frankly that day will never come and to hear him trying to boost Saints supporters when he's never seen beyond Blue & White of Carlton left me feeling more glum about our future.

And yes he came across as s condescending flog.

avid
Club Player

Why would he be a "flog" for commenting on that??
I was thinking the same thing.
He's a commentator. Do you think he should NOT ask a question / make a comment on that?
Some answers to some those questions would be good before we start shooting people for being wrong.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Carlton supporters are dropping in their thousands, there's the irony..

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:Why would he be a "flog" for commenting on that??
I was thinking the same thing.
He's a commentator. Do you think he should NOT ask a question / make a comment on that?
Some answers to some those questions would be good before we start shooting people for being wrong.
But what basis does Flog have to compare this to?

I've never seen a members attendance breakdown at the footy. I like stats and it's a great idea IMO to display.

FYI only a third of full MCC members turn up for each years Grand Final.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SAAD
Club Player

Easter Sunday lunch time game! Families, kids, lunches, travelling to see relatives or vice versa. Middle of school holidays. Our numbers aren't best as it is let alone with this time slot.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SAAD wrote:Easter Sunday lunch time game! Families, kids, lunches, travelling to see relatives or vice versa. Middle of school holidays. Our numbers aren't best as it is let alone with this time slot.
Exactly. But for a flog that may be beyond his comprehension.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

So when Collingwood played the Giants at the MCG in 2013 in front of a crowd of 32000, how many were Collingwood members. Lets say something rediculous, much like SEN did today, and say 30000 were members. Probably more like 20000. Where were the other 50000 to 60000 members. Also dont think the game was on Easter Sunday at lunch time with heaps of free tickets available.
The comments are utterly stupid and uneducated with absolutely nothing to compare them to. What is their point?

Side note: _ None of our pet members made it today.

saintspremiers wrote:
SAAD wrote:Easter Sunday lunch time game! Families, kids, lunches, travelling to see relatives or vice versa. Middle of school holidays. Our numbers aren't best as it is let alone with this time slot.
Exactly. But for a flog that may be beyond his comprehension.
This was probably the worst game time start of the week !

Lunch time on easter sunday , Gee i wonder what most people are doing !

Maher is a flog , full stop !

I stopped listening to Sen's morning show when he became the host , ditto channel 10's now defunct " before the game".

In red white and black from 73
gringo
Saintsational Legend

The positive is we pay even though we don't go. It was obviously a much better crowd than expected. I took non members and had to wait for about 30 minutes to buy them a ticket. The food lines were miles long too.

andrewg
Club Player

Maher is a flog..nothing more just an out and out flog

Batnoe
Club Player

Ok,

Doesit actually matter how many we had???

We have 30,000 members, our income is derived from that is it not?

So we have a few people turn up to the game to watch a game of footy.. What would we earn? Do we earn money because of opposition team with numbers? Probably yes... As we have already earnt our money from membership regardless of home many supporters turn up.
Say all 30,000 turn up (other than environment, what does it give us?) it the other teams supporters that give us money if home gsme, hence why we don't want to play games there against low
Drawing teams... Duh

Carn Saints
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

I'm a member, but live in the UK. I used my digital member's subscription to watch the game. I'm in the 30,000 but can't be expected to attend. There are other digital members who would do the same thing both interstate and internationally.

But Easter Sunday at lunchtime is a pretty good reason for perceived low numbers.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Two reasons why the place was full of St. Kilda barrackers only half of whom were members -
-Free kids day - we took both of our kids - one of whom is under 6 anyway, so is free. The other is 8 and we will get him his membership anyway, but he didn't have one yesterday. so that is two.
- It was a 'bring a mate for free' match. Based on club merchandise being worn; there would have been less than 100 Giants supporters there and very few neutrals from what I could see.
Almost 19,000 wasn't too bad considering. Another thousand or so would have been better though. Plenty of kids in the cheer squad for once which made for a great spectacle. We play the Bulldogs at Docklands in a couple of weeks (away fixture) and it would be great to get 19,000 or so Sainters there for that too.
With small children I am a massive fan of the early starts - Saturday or Sunday is great for us.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Money is in the bank with memberships. Three of us missed as we were interstate for the weekend (just got home).

On my reckoning, our absence has cost the AFL $5 for a Footy Record and Etihad Stadium about 50 to 60 bucks for food and drinks and some car park operator another 20.

I have cost the StKilda Football Club absolutely nothing - I have already paid for 3 memberships and 3 season reserved seats.

Saint supporter since '62
matrix
Saintsational Legend

couldnt make it myself
bit to cold for me
yeah, sozz about that

ffs what do they think at lunch time on easter sun :roll:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Two reasons why the place was full of St. Kilda barrackers only half of whom were members -
-Free kids day - we took both of our kids - one of whom is under 6 anyway, so is free. The other is 8 and we will get him his membership anyway, but he didn't have one yesterday. so that is two.
- It was a 'bring a mate for free' match. Based on club merchandise being worn; there would have been less than 100 Giants supporters there and very few neutrals from what I could see.
Almost 19,000 wasn't too bad considering. Another thousand or so would have been better though. Plenty of kids in the cheer squad for once which made for a great spectacle. We play the Bulldogs at Docklands in a couple of weeks (away fixture) and it would be great to get 19,000 or so Sainters there for that too.
With small children I am a massive fan of the early starts - Saturday or Sunday is great for us.

I bought friends who I told I would get in free but the link was dead ....so I missed the first 10 minutes waiting in line to buy a ticket because hardly any windows were open. Bloody docklands.

wally
Club Player

I wonder how many games he would attend if he had a normal job and had to pay everything out of his own pocket.
Sure good luck to him for getting his job , but abit unfair to get on his soapbox on this one.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The reality is that Flog somehow got a job on SEN whilst Darren Parkin has been buried at AFL live radio. It should be the other way round.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I turned up, felt completely ripped off.
I could have hit more targets than that team.
Ill stay home and listen to music and maybe watch it on TV next time.
Y

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

The flog just had a go at Mat Finnis this morning about the number of members that turned up. Finnis didn't say much about it but thought it was a pretty good turn out considering it was Easter Sunday and a lunch time game. He said they will continue to show the break down of members turning up (maybe to embarrass us? I'm not sure).

Do any other clubs show this break up of members turning up?

I know 18K is a poor crowd but while 1/3 of our members turned up they formed 1/2 of the crowd. That's pretty good I reckon.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
The_Merchant
Club Player

Well myself and the missus are members and went to the game, but won't be counted in the tally because we have other tickets that we use instead of our memberships. Same when we play at MCG and use MCC instead of membership to attend. The 9,800 is a good indication, but not a definitive figure. A third of our membership base turning up to a GWS game on Easter Sunday is pretty good as far as I am concerned.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.