Training Today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Hallalj#3
Club Player

Training Today

Went by and had a look today and thought I'd give you some observations.

Markworth: He Trained and he moves really well, got great size and will make the grade I believe if he stays healthy.

McKenzie: Looks the goods, again good size about him moves well and has great closing speed.

Riewoldt: Doing 80 meter sprints along the boundary and looks fit. Man's a machine.

Pierce: Moves really well for his size it will be really interesting to see what happens this year in the Rucks, Hickey number 1 for sure, the relief ruckmen is up for grabs and I'd say he would be leading at this stage.

Acers : Needs to get out of first gear and I have a feeling the coaches know it, they're always trying to get him going.

Goddard: Can't see why not for round 1 has good size already moves beautifully for guy his height.

Membery: Midfielders height, but awesome skills so he could turn himself into a midfielder.

No sign of Steven or Fisher, Fisher not to concerned about as it could've been a rest day. But Steven didn't train last week and no word by the club on his fitness.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training Today

New gear has arrived.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Steven is injured and has slight doubts about round one but should hopefully be OK. We need him fit then because that is one of our few chances to win this year.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Jack said he doesn't want to rush back in too early and that he over did it last year. Said he should be right for round 1 yesterday. I also hassled him on signing and he said he was trying to get a deal done and should be signed soon. Said he wasn't considering a move and laughed at speculation he wanted to go to Geelong to be closer to home. He's either a very good liar or he looks like he might stay. Goddard was the opposite when I asked him straight out, eyes darting away and got all cagey. Jack seemed to be happy to discuss it and was certainly sounding like he will sign. Hopefully he's telling the truth.

Acres yesterday said the club has faith in him and he's really pleased by the contract length and he's loving the saints and will look after the club if they look after him. Said he enjoys the cooler weather here also. Went through the family heritage in athletics including uncles and he's got some good genes. He wasn't outstanding at training last week either but he might be a slow starter. Last year he was so shy it was painful to watch now he's happy to chat.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Goddard was the opposite when I asked him straight out, eyes darting away and got all cagey.
Bloody hell! :shock:

He's only been with us for about 7 weeks! :twisted:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Jack said he doesn't want to rush back in too early and that he over did it last year. Said he should be right for round 1 yesterday. I also hassled him on signing and he said he was trying to get a deal done and should be signed soon. Said he wasn't considering a move and laughed at speculation he wanted to go to Geelong to be closer to home. He's either a very good liar or he looks like he might stay. Goddard was the opposite when I asked him straight out, eyes darting away and got all cagey. Jack seemed to be happy to discuss it and was certainly sounding like he will sign. Hopefully he's telling the truth.

Acres yesterday said the club has faith in him and he's really pleased by the contract length and he's loving the saints and will look after the club if they look after him. Said he enjoys the cooler weather here also. Went through the family heritage in athletics including uncles and he's got some good genes. He wasn't outstanding at training last week either but he might be a slow starter. Last year he was so shy it was painful to watch now he's happy to chat.

Gringo without being rude what else could Jack say if you asked him directly what he wanted to do footy wise. Im sure BJ and Dal would have said exactly the same thing. Of course he may stay. Probably more likely than unlikely but I wouldn't take any notice of what he says to a supporter. He is most likely say even the same to people he knows well. Doesn't mean it will happen though. And what does he mean that he doesn't want to rush back to early like last year? Whats he rushing back from? Sounds like he got an injury in pre season to me which he did.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:Jack said he doesn't want to rush back in too early and that he over did it last year. Said he should be right for round 1 yesterday. I also hassled him on signing and he said he was trying to get a deal done and should be signed soon. Said he wasn't considering a move and laughed at speculation he wanted to go to Geelong to be closer to home. He's either a very good liar or he looks like he might stay. Goddard was the opposite when I asked him straight out, eyes darting away and got all cagey. Jack seemed to be happy to discuss it and was certainly sounding like he will sign. Hopefully he's telling the truth.

Gringo without being rude what else could Jack say if you asked him directly what he wanted to do footy wise. Im sure BJ and Dal would have said exactly the same thing. Of course he may stay. Probably more likely than unlikely but I wouldn't take any notice of what he says to a supporter. He is most likely say even the same to people he knows well. Doesn't mean it will happen though. And what does he mean that he doesn't want to rush back to early like last year? Whats he rushing back from? Sounds like he got an injury in pre season to me which he did.
You can get a vibe by what and how they say it. When I asked Goddard he said that he was leaving it to the manager and was wanting to sign but he was struggling to look even slightly like he was believing what he was saying. Jack kept eye contact, seemed happy to talk about it and said he was happy at the Saints and hoped he'd get it signed soon. Completely different response style. I was pretty comfortable he wasn't lying. You obviously know him and have asked him and he hasn't responded the same way. I could be wrong and he's no where close to signing. If I was him I'd wait until a few FA offers but who knows we might just tempt him out of it. I asked him in a pretty light hearted way and didn't pin him down so he had the chance to pull away. He seems pretty happy and didn't seem to have a hard time responding. I hope I'm right.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

He doesn't want to rush back and he over did the work load and broke down last year he said, he went to hard too early. I'm not exactly sure what he meant just that. He was definitely on crutches just before the start of last year. This year he is managing some kind of niggle obviously but I guess with feet it's something that can compound like Gilbert and plenty of others like Kruiser.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You can get a vibe by what and how they say it. When I asked Goddard he said that he was leaving it to the manager and was wanting to sign but he was struggling to look even slightly like he was believing what he was saying. Jack kept eye contact, seemed happy to talk about it and said he was happy at the Saints and hoped he'd get it signed soon. Completely different response style. I was pretty comfortable he wasn't lying. You obviously know him and have asked him and he hasn't responded the same way. I could be wrong and he's no where close to signing. If I was him I'd wait until a few FA offers but who knows we might just tempt him out of it. I asked him in a pretty light hearted way and didn't pin him down so he had the chance to pull away. He seems pretty happy and didn't seem to have a hard time responding. I hope I'm right.

I cant remember you ever posting that about BJ until now. After it happened its easy to say that is how he was speaking. And who said Jack was lying. He may not have a clue what he is doing yet and he may stay so there is no lie. And Jack is always happy unlike BJ who is a very moody person and doesn't really like supporters chatting to him. I would suggest that is why both seemed to you like they did. Doesn't mean anyone is lying or telling the truth because neither probably knew the truth when you spoke to them. And I have never asked Jack if he is staying or going. I don't speak footy to him that much when I speak to him. They get enough of that s*** as it is.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

No being rude gringo but one guy is a best and fairest winner and has 9 months of a contract remaining - so a question about his contract is fairly expected.

with the other, the ink isnt even dry from signing his rookie contract and he is still probably star struck being an afl player and going to training. He has not even played a single vfl game and still has 22 months on his contract left. id say rather than being 'cagey' he was just completely bamboozled by the entire concept of thinking about futue contracts at this point of time. He probably thought you were a weirdo for asking :D
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 21 Jan 2015 6:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:No being rude gringo but one guy is a best and fairest winner and has 9 months of a contract remaining - so a question about his contract is fairly expected.

with the other, the ink isnt even dry from signing his rookie contract and he is still probably star struck being an afl player and going to training. He has not even played a single vfl game and still has 22 months on his contract left. id say rather than being 'cagey' he was just completely bamboozled by the entire concept of thinking about futue contracts at this point of time. He probably thought you were weirdo for asking :D

Con BJ not the latest Goddard.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sorry Gringo you aren't a weirdo. I thought he was hassling Hugh about his contract:-)

minneapolis
Club Player

Hallalj#3 wrote:Went by and had a look today and thought I'd give you some observations.

Markworth: He Trained and he moves really well, got great size and will make the grade I believe if he stays healthy.

McKenzie: Looks the goods, again good size about him moves well and has great closing speed.

Riewoldt: Doing 80 meter sprints along the boundary and looks fit. Man's a machine.

Pierce: Moves really well for his size it will be really interesting to see what happens this year in the Rucks, Hickey number 1 for sure, the relief ruckmen is up for grabs and I'd say he would be leading at this stage.

Acers : Needs to get out of first gear and I have a feeling the coaches know it, they're always trying to get him going.

Goddard: Can't see why not for round 1 has good size already moves beautifully for guy his height.

Membery: Midfielders height, but awesome skills so he could turn himself into a midfielder.

No sign of Steven or Fisher, Fisher not to concerned about as it could've been a rest day. But Steven didn't train last week and no word by the club on his fitness.
Thanks Hallaj,

for those of us who have no possible opportunity to go to training, we greatly appreciate these kinds of posts.

Also, those would have been the same guys that I would have been watching closely. Very interesting.

My feeling is that we have a bunch of guys that could be really good in the fold now and we haven't had that for a long while.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote:
Hallalj#3 wrote:Went by and had a look today and thought I'd give you some observations.

Thanks Hallaj,

for those of us who have no possible opportunity to go to training, we greatly appreciate these kinds of posts.

Also, those would have been the same guys that I would have been watching closely. Very interesting.

My feeling is that we have a bunch of guys that could be really good in the fold now and we haven't had that for a long while.

I would hope so because we are a bottom side now and our picks are better and we should hold onto them because we have so much SC space. That's why it would be a huge disappointment to lose Jack. We must ensure it doesn't happen. We must match what he is offered if it gets to FA.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I would hope so because we are a bottom side now and our picks are better and we should hold onto them because we have so much SC space. That's why it would be a huge disappointment to lose Jack. We must ensure it doesn't happen. We must match what he is offered if it gets to FA.

I see it as 99% certainty that he will be at the Saints next contract as he's a restricted free agent so we have control over his future to some degree. The only question is wether he chooses to bump his value up by waiting to see how 2015 pans out and if he waits to receive offers from outside clubs to push his value up. The only reason I can see him leaving is if he gets insulted by our contract offers and asks to get out of the club. We pretty much have nothing to lose by paying him a very nice front ended contract for 4 years or so but the feet might make us skittish. Even if he never gets back we are paying an established player good coin not some 18 yo kid who has done nothing yet.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I see it as 99% certainty that he will be at the Saints next contract as he's a restricted free agent so we have control over his future to some degree. The only question is wether he chooses to bump his value up by waiting to see how 2015 pans out and if he waits to receive offers from outside clubs to push his value up. The only reason I can see him leaving is if he gets insulted by our contract offers and asks to get out of the club. We pretty much have nothing to lose by paying him a very nice front ended contract for 4 years or so but the feet might make us skittish. Even if he never gets back we are paying an established player good coin not some 18 yo kid who has done nothing yet.

There is one reason for leaving that you haven't mentioned and that's finals. We are years away and he may want to play in finals soon.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

There is one reason for leaving that you haven't mentioned and that's finals. We are years away and he may want to play in finals soon.

He still doesn't have the option of just upping stumps as we can match it. He would have to really want to leave. He seems like a good natured easy going type. BJ was the opposite and seemed to be ambitious in every way. I don't know him so I'm assuming and obviously it motivates plenty of others. BJ might have helped a few players decide to stay after his experience.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He still doesn't have the option of just upping stumps as we can match it. He would have to really want to leave. He seems like a good natured easy going type. BJ was the opposite and seemed to be ambitious in every way. I don't know him so I'm assuming and obviously it motivates plenty of others. BJ might have helped a few players decide to stay after his experience.

I think you overate what happens to others effecting another player leaving. IMO none of them even would think of that. I still have no idea if Jack will leave or not but unfortunately its more and more of a business to these guys. They love their mates at the club but IMO less and less love the club and not just our club. They aren't supporters who mostly stick loyal through thick and thin. Like I said we need to match any offer. The rider on that is if he wants to leave no matter what and compensation is going to be better than a trade then we must not match the offer because that could be very costly.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I think you overate what happens to others effecting another player leaving. IMO none of them even would think of that. I still have no idea if Jack will leave or not but unfortunately its more and more of a business to these guys. They love their mates at the club but IMO less and less love the club and not just our club. They aren't supporters who mostly stick loyal through thick and thin. Like I said we need to match any offer. The rider on that is if he wants to leave no matter what and compensation is going to be better than a trade then we must not match the offer because that could be very costly.

The only way he gets so much money that it screws us is if he becomes a bona fide star this season. If he leaves for a team closer to the GF they would need to seriously imbalance their TPP too. If he becomes that good we should pay him huge money.He is worth as much in marketing dollars as he would in performance. After Rooey he would be the next in line for fan favouritism.I don't disagree that it's more of a business now but he's not someone who seems that ambitious. I assume he boarded with you so you keep in contact so maybe you know him a bit better than me though.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
The only way he gets so much money that it screws us is if he becomes a bona fide star this season. If he leaves for a team closer to the GF they would need to seriously imbalance their TPP too. If he becomes that good we should pay him huge money.He is worth as much in marketing dollars as he would in performance. After Rooey he would be the next in line for fan favouritism.I don't disagree that it's more of a business now but he's not someone who seems that ambitious. I assume he boarded with you so you keep in contact so maybe you know him a bit better than me though.
I tend to agree. We cant be in a constant state of rebuild. Sure we may get another top 5 pick if jack leaves but he and Armo (and Gears) are about the only ones left from the Lyon era, wee have put years into him and he is getting to the time of his career where he can lead the midfield.

The pick we get for jack may ensure a top quality kid, but there is another two years we have to wait.

We just cant keep bleeding experienced mids, Lenny, bj, dal, all gone, joey, then jack and armo, then the kids.

I firmly believe teams are built around midfields. Our mids are inexperienced, great potential, but young. No point having a McCartin, White, Lee, and Membrey if the ball never goes forward.

We really require Steven to stay a Saint in my opinion.

You are garbage - Enough said
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
gringo wrote:
I tend to agree. We cant be in a constant state of rebuild. Sure we may get another top 5 pick if jack leaves but he and Armo (and Gears) are about the only ones left from the Lyon era, wee have put years into him and he is getting to the time of his career where he can lead the midfield.

The pick we get for jack may ensure a top quality kid, but there is another two years we have to wait.

We just cant keep bleeding experienced mids, Lenny, bj, dal, all gone, joey, then jack and armo, then the kids.

I firmly believe teams are built around midfields. Our mids are inexperienced, great potential, but young. No point having a McCartin, White, Lee, and Membrey if the ball never goes forward.

I know a few Demons supporters and that is how they feel. Over time they think they are nearly at a destination then they realise it's only a stop on a long road. I don't want that pain. You look at Frawley leaving and you can't help thinking it's all become too much for him and he lost faith that they will ever get there. That's the danger of a permanent state of building ...you loose the players faith in the system you are putting forward.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He never boarded with me because no one has but yes I do know him well. Of course he is ambitious and of course he wants to play in finals. Im yet to meet any footballer who isn't and doesn't want both those things but im sure there are one or two. If he plays like he did in 2013 then he is a star or very close to it. Certainly a star for that particular year. Hawthorn apparently have heaps of money in their SC and if Dangerfield didn't go to Geelong so would they but Im pretty sure he will go there. Yep we must match any offers if it comes to that but we mustn't if he really wants to leave. That would probably cost us pick 2 and only get us about pick 10.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He never boarded with me because no one has but yes I do know him well. Of course he is ambitious and of course he wants to play in finals. Im yet to meet any footballer who isn't and doesn't want both those things but im sure there are one or two. If he plays like he did in 2013 then he is a star or very close to it. Certainly a star for that particular year. Hawthorn apparently have heaps of money in their SC and if Dangerfield didn't go to Geelong so would they but Im pretty sure he will go there. Yep we must match any offers if it comes to that but we mustn't if he really wants to leave. That would probably cost us pick 2 and only get us about pick 10.

How do you know all the players? I'm pretty sure Geelong have Dangerfield too. If the Hawks offer him $400 000 to $500 000 we would be crazy not to offer huge money to a few Hawks players. We would probably wait a year and get our compo first though. I can't see how we would get pick 10 instead of 2 though either. I guess you are saying he'd see out a contract then leave? Anyway I can't imagine he will go anyway.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

How do you know all the players? I'm pretty sure Geelong have Dangerfield too. If the Hawks offer him $400 000 to $500 000 we would be crazy not to offer huge money to a few Hawks players. We would probably wait a year and get our compo first though. I can't see how we would get pick 10 instead of 2 though either. I guess you are saying he'd see out a contract then leave? Anyway I can't imagine he will go anyway.

No what im saying is if we match the offer and he still wants to go then you have to trade him. You cant do it under FA because we have matched the offer. And if he was traded I doubt he is worth pick 2. As I have said though we must try and keep no matter what we may get in return. And my best mate boarded a few players and he lives about 2 minutes away so I saw them a hell of a lot.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Agree. Cornerstone of the next generation of players and our mids are young. Gringo, how do you Geelong have Dangerfield? Money talks. We're at least in a position to have a very good shot at him come end of the year.