Very in-depth look at the life of Bill Stephenson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mcadam05
Club Player

Very in-depth look at the life of Bill Stephenson

I just found this piece of Bill Stephenson ENJOY!

http://boylesfootballphotos.net.au/arti ... om-Sale-FC

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Very in-depth look at the life of Bill Stephenson

Good one, thanks for digging it up mate.

Does anyone know what happened to Lance Oswald? Looks like he was a pretty good player, picked up some Brownlow votes and kicked a goal a game from the midfield, but was gone at the end of 63 at the age of just 26. Did Jeansy not like him? Or was that injury as well?

loris
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:I just found this piece of Bill Stephenson ENJOY!

Thanks a lot for this 'mcadam05' ................. wow it sure re-kindles some wonderful memories of how good Bill Stephenson was - another one of our stars cruelled by injury at the peak of his game.

I had forgotten about the old permit system in use in those days and the Coulter Law.

Gippsland sure provided the Saints with some very good players of that era. Bill, Alan Morrow, Bill Young, Jimmy Guyatt, and Lester Ross.

I can remember that day when Bill broke his leg at Geelong. It sure was a long depressing drive back from Kardina Park to our home in Ashwood. In them, there days the Geelong Road was only a two lane road, with very few safe places to overtake and pass another car. It was like a funeral procession, the cars of St Kilda supporters travelling along at snails pace. Worst thing for us 4 kids in the family, we were on the back tray of Dad's work truck - a Willies Overland - that had no sides to it, so that was rather dangerous....... it was freezing and I think wet, we were huddled under a tarpolin (? spelling).

Think it's against the law to have people (let alone kids aged from about 6-12 years) riding on the back of a truck. Even dogs have to be tied up on the back of a ute and at least a ute has sides on it. But children, I think were more resilient, less (molly coddled) and responsible back then and parents trusted them to do the right thing when travelling on vehicles......... I s'pose?? Maybe we were just more compliant, obedient????

It is interesting in the article that in latter years many said that Lockett, reminded them of Bill Stephenson. Not so for me - it was Stewie Loewe that reminded me of Bill Stephenson........ ofcourse, not with Loewe's kicking, but his strong pack marking and those vice like hands - that was so reminiscent of Bill Stevo.

Thanks again 'mcadam05' - 'twas a great read :P :P

loris
Saintsational Legend

Thanks a lot for this 'mcadam05' ................. wow it sure re-kindles some wonderful memories of how good Bill Stephenson was - another one of our stars cruelled by injury at the peak of his game.

I had forgotten about the old permit system in use in those days and the Coulter Law.

Gippsland sure provided the Saints with some very good players of that era. Bill, Alan Morrow, Bill Young, Jimmy Guyatt, and Lester Ross.

I can remember that day when Bill broke his leg at Geelong. It sure was a long depressing drive back from Kardina Park to our home in Ashwood. In them, there days the Geelong Road was only a two lane road, with very few safe places to overtake and pass another car. It was like a funeral procession, the cars of St Kilda supporters travelling along at snails pace. Worst thing for us 4 kids in the family, we were on the back tray of Dad's work truck - a Willies Overland - that had no sides to it, so that was rather dangerous....... it was freezing and I think wet, we were huddled under a tarpolin (? spelling).

Think it's against the law to have people (let alone kids aged from about 6-12 years) riding on the back of a truck. Even dogs have to be tied up on the back of a ute and at least a ute has sides on it. But children, I think were more resilient, less (molly coddled) and responsible back then and parents trusted them to do the right thing when travelling on vehicles......... I s'pose?? Maybe we were just more compliant, obedient????

It is interesting in the article that in latter years many said that Lockett, reminded them of Bill Stephenson. Not so for me - it was Stewie Loewe that reminded me of Bill Stephenson........ ofcourse, not with Loewe's kicking, but his strong pack marking and those vice like hands - that was so reminiscent of Bill Stevo.

Thanks again 'mcadam05' - 'twas a great read :P :P

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i remember that game against the dons clearly.....i was sitting next to the st kilda secretary ian drake as he used to use my young eyes to help him keep track of player stats....big bill was on fire....everyone had a smile from ear to ear....then he went down.....you would have thought drake was in as much pain as bil......i was as stunned as anybody....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:Good one, thanks for digging it up mate.

Does anyone know what happened to Lance Oswald? Looks like he was a pretty good player, picked up some Brownlow votes and kicked a goal a game from the midfield, but was gone at the end of 63 at the age of just 26. Did Jeansy not like him? Or was that injury as well?
I think you'll find he was a bit busy in Dallas Texas at the time.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
loris
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:

Don't think it was Lance........ maybe it was Tom (Lee) Robert (Harvey) Oswald. Very good player for us, great mid, onballer but could go forward & kick goals.... rather accurate I hear tell with his shooting (for goal that is) :wink:

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:

Very nice! The timing is very coincidental.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:Does anyone know what happened to Lance Oswald?...
Ian Stewart.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Met him at the Team Of The Century night at Crown. He was one of the old man's favourite players so I made it a point to tell him. Real gentleman and nice bloke. I think he left because of work/bush team opportunity meaning better prospects for him, but time, and the beer I drank on the night, has diminished a lot of the memories of the night - although shaking hands with Barry Breen and sitting next to Milnie stand out as great highlights for me.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.