Lewis Pierce

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Lewis Pierce

A few whispers going around that we are trying to get him to play the Stanley role.

He is still young, raw and nowhere near man mountain status - but does anyone picture him breaking through this year? It would seem he is still behind both Longer and Hickey but always gets such high ratings internally.

I'm hoping he comes from the clouds but I don't know who he pushes out.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lewis Pierce

From what I've seen of him, he's more of a natural forward than Hickey or Longer. But that was playing in the VFL. It would be great if he could step up and perform in the seniors.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

saw a lot of him playing for Sandy last year. He moves beautifully for a big guy and he has a body shape that looks like he will really fill out. He is a more natural footballer than Stanley.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Only just turned 20. Would like to see him play a few games at AFL level this to see if he looks like he has the ability. I think he will definitely get his chances this year.
Surely we will look to extend his contract early on in 2015 if he shows a bit?
Along with White and Steven - there will be a bit of contract action or speculation this year.

loris
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:A few whispers going around that we are trying to get him to play the Stanley role.

He is still young, raw and nowhere near man mountain status - but does anyone picture him breaking through this year? It would seem he is still behind both Longer and Hickey but always gets such high ratings internally.

Gringo, mentioned that about the Stanley role in the thread he started 'Open training reports jan 2014 (sic) 2015 I think he meant!

It appears Gringo spoke to Pierce at that training day.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
St Ick wrote:A few whispers going around that we are trying to get him to play the Stanley role.

Gringo, mentioned that about the Stanley role in the thread he started 'Open training reports jan 2014 (sic) 2015 I think he meant!

correct... :wink:

shouldn't wink......a certain poster might get the wrong idea.... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:saw a lot of him playing for Sandy last year. He moves beautifully for a big guy and he has a body shape that looks like he will really fill out. He is a more natural footballer than Stanley.
I agree, BBMD. I didn't see as much of him as you did, but from what I saw, he has the potential to be outstanding. He might be quite the pinch at pick 75.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well if we want to compare. When he was 20 Rhys played 7 senior games.
So if Lewis plays 7 senior games this season- then he will be equal with Rhys at the same age.
Seems fairly possible to me that he could play 7 games this year.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Well if we want to compare. When he was 20 Rhys played 7 senior games.
So if Lewis plays 7 senior games this season- then he will be equal with Rhys at the same age.
I don't understand the point you're trying to make but Rhys played 7 games as a 19 year old, and Pierce is already 20.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
gringo
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:

I did but the title was meant to read 14 january 2015. I must have got excited. He was saying it's his third year and expected to start playing. He seems very driven and serious. Mentioned Rhys going as it gave him a chance at that spot, said he played 30% of his junior footy as a forward. Said he was emergency a few times late season after I said he seemed to be going well at Sandy after coming back from injury.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
loris wrote:

correct... :wink:

shouldn't wink......a certain poster might get the wrong idea.... :twisted:
Are you Tony Abbott? Or is he your lovechild?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Lewis is going to be a very good player. He will make a big impact at Sandy this year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

But can he win the Grand Final Sprint? :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Not if it costs a potential key forward such as McCartin, White or Lee his spot IMO.

What we got with Stanley was a bloke who couldn't really play as a key forward and didn't ruck much, so I'd prefer we do away with the role.

Unless this guy can really play, I'd rather we develop a proper spearhead who gives us a genuine target other than Riewoldt.

Of course, if he can really play, you find a way to get him in.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Well if we want to compare. When he was 20 Rhys played 7 senior games.
No it wouldn't as they are two different players, ideally different attributes.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Lewis has some fantastic traits as a ruck but if you watch his highlights reel towards the end you see a bit of his marking prowess. He knows how to protect the ball when he marks and he doesn't mind getting contested marks. His ruck work shows how good he is at instinctively rucking. He gets the ball to the mids as his priority. Some seem to just think getting a hand in is enough.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

The only time I've really taken notice of young Lewis was a game late last year for Sandy (the week before Spencer made his AFL debut), Spencer had come off a big bag the week before, and he and Pierce played side by side in the goal square for a lot of the game. Lewis looked like a much more natural key forward, got himself to much more dangerous positions, and grabbed a couple of good contested marks close to goal.

He looks like a fantastic prospect for a bloke taken in the 70's, and I look forward to seeing if he can replicate the skill in the AFL, because he will certainly get an opportunity.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Pierce, Membrey, McCartin, White and Lee...who will take the next step into our forward line? Should be good to see how they go in the pre-season games.

saint6709
Club Player

spert wrote:Pierce, Membrey, McCartin, White and Lee...who will take the next step into our forward line? Should be good to see how they go in the pre-season games.
Rumour is Bruce is also now looking to play forward - so could add him in there as well - looks like we need Goddard to come along quickly as we are still short on Backs if Bruce is going to be a forward

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

saint6709 wrote:
spert wrote:Pierce, Membrey, McCartin, White and Lee...who will take the next step into our forward line? Should be good to see how they go in the pre-season games.
Rumour is Bruce is also now looking to play forward - so could add him in there as well - looks like we need Goddard to come along quickly as we are still short on Backs if Bruce is going to be a forward
If Fisher and Gilbert can stay on the park this year, along with Delaney and Goddard, then we have enough height down back for this year......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I keep hearing good things about Lewis. I think he will definitely get a game or two this year to get a taste of what is required at the highest level and give him some encouragement to keep working hard in the ressies. We're starting to build up some good competition in the forwards and ruck stocks. Just need to build up our quality backs and mids.

St Plugger
Club Player

Gee, looking at that Utube footage, I can see a lot to like. It may be blind optimism from an old [maybe even ancient supporter], but I can see a lot of Dean Cox in that ruck work.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Plugger wrote:Gee, looking at that Utube footage, I can see a lot to like. It may be blind optimism from an old [maybe even ancient supporter], but I can see a lot of Dean Cox in that ruck work.

Good comparison, has the force feeding the mids style of Cox.

Club Player

reminds me more of Justin Madden

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
gringo
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote:reminds me more of Justin Madden

Yeah he does have some old school ruck man style generally I reckon. I'm hoping he gets a bit of Ottens where he can be a big aggressive forward ruck. He has crazy eyes and is a super intense young guy. I have a good feeling he could become something special.