Riewoldt's role

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt's role

With McCartin's acquisition, Spencer White starting to show a bit, Lee contracted and the addition of Membrey, what will this mean for Riewoldt?

The days of St Kilda being a one-man band in attack appear to be numbered. It will be interesting to see if there is a change in role for the skipper. Perhaps he's destined for the wing or chb, or perhaps he'll be instructed to lead further up the ground.

Thing is, since we are not in a position to challenge for a flag at the moment, you don't want to potentially stunt the growth of these potential long-term key forwards by forcing them to watch on while every ball is kicked towards Riewoldt.

Thoughts?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt's role

I would keep him as a mobile CHF but with a more defined area so that the other forwards are given some areas of the ground that are designated to them. He has had a licence to roam anywhere and while his days of getting as much of the ball seem to be dropping away slightly his kicking is the best it's ever been. Otherwise Spencer of Lee could be used as more mobile CHF area players (most don't play a set spot these days) and Rooey just sits back deep and waits for the bombs in and learns to do what Gehrig did late career and play an out muscling game. Having a deep set FF probably requires some small forwards like Ahmed and Lonie at his feet.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Yeah this came up last year a bit. We've got quite a few forwards to manage this year - Rooey, McCartin, Billings, White, Membrey, Lee, Markworth, Templeton, Lonie, Saad & Schneider (rookies), maybe Bruce. On one hand Rooey is the one proven guy that can do damage on the scoreboard when we are struggling to kick anything. The danger last year is without his goals we could have become an absolute joke which is not good for morale and player development. Even though we will lose lots of games we want to be as competitive as possible so we don't end up like Melbourne with a uncompetitive culture and heads down after 15 minutes.

On the other side Rooey is so dominate with his brilliance, his leading, his calling and being the captain gets a lot of footy directed at him. I think McCartin will get a game quite early, maybe 3 games in or so. Because he's already a big lad I really expect him to be played for a lot. Richo is on record as saying the best development for players is to get AFL games into them when young. And we really need Lee, Membrey, White and Markworth to get games to see what they can do. Will Rooey stifle a lot of that forwards space for our talls? Probably, but then we need his goals. Its a tough one.

The NAB cup might be interesting to see where they play him. If he plays on the wing isn't one of the issues that his lateral movement isn't good. He's still AAA leading towards the ball in straight lines but can't twist and turn like he might need to on the wing. Moving to the back would be a huge shift for him. There's no guaarentee he'd be any good there as well with his limited lateral movement and little experience back there. Interesting times.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he is real chance to play as a leading forward but if they cant fit him there I would play him as a leading forward. The only option I see for the AA is as a leading forward.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:I reckon he is real chance to play as a leading forward but if they cant fit him there I would play him as a leading forward. The only option I see for the AA is as a leading forward.
Yep, can't see his role changing too much either.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

File this is in the annual obligatory threads folder.

1. Will Roo change his role ('play on a wing like Richo' is usually a favourite at this time of year).
2. Will Armo be traded to a QLD side
2. Kosi/Stanley to 'explode', 'tear it up' and have a 'break-out' year.

No off season is complete until we have all these threads. We have already ticked off #1 & #2. Im not sure how we will work on #3. But where there is will there is a way. Im always hopeful someone steps up to the plate and continues these grand old traditions of Saintsational.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:File this is in the annual obligatory threads folder.

1. Will Roo change his role ('play on a wing like Richo' is usually a favourite at this time of year).

No off season is complete until we have all these threads. We have already ticked off #1 & #2. Im not sure how we will work on #3. But where there is will there is a way. Im always hopeful someone steps up to the plate and continues these grand old traditions of Saintsational.

Disagree with this cynical outlook.

The OP clearly stated that we now have a plethora of young KPP forwards with McCartin, White and Lee and a bunch of smaller forwards headed up by Membrey.

I think considering where we are at as a list, where Roo is in his career and what is in the best interests of the club, this is a valid thread.

Unless of course you think every pre season is the same and the list has made a complete status quo in its development and positional changes.

Oh and haven't seen to many threads on Stanley or Kosi this off season.

You are garbage - Enough said
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:I reckon he is real chance to play as a leading forward but if they cant fit him there I would play him as a leading forward. The only option I see for the AA is as a leading forward.
I think the Richo-role as a player in a crap team that runs around is suitable.

Considering the uber-talent that has been waiting in the 2s behind the likes of Thomas Lee, we should push the AA VC and CHF out of the forward-line.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Pity we can't swap some of Riewoldt's AA's and Best and fairests for a flag!
Too much about the individual not enough about the team.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Pity we can't swap some of Riewoldt's AA's and Best and fairests for a flag!

Him or us?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:File this is in the annual obligatory threads folder.

Disagree with this cynical outlook.

The OP clearly stated that we now have a plethora of young KPP forwards with McCartin, White and Lee and a bunch of smaller forwards headed up by Membrey.

I think considering where we are at as a list, where Roo is in his career and what is in the best interests of the club, this is a valid thread.

Unless of course you think every pre season is the same and the list has made a complete status quo in its development and positional changes.

Oh and haven't seen to many threads on Stanley or Kosi this off season.

I know its Monday but surely a man can have a giggle from time to time! I didnt know you were on the serious pills :D

Dont know if I expect much from Paddy this year. Its hard to play Key fwd in your first year or three..

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Co-captain....

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:Pity we can't swap some of Riewoldt's AA's and Best and fairests for a flag!

Him or us?
Us, but even the coaches are in awe of him IMHO!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Him or us?

Well I reckon his record suggests they should be and I still say whether you are a developing team or not the other players get their best learning experience by playing champions in their right positions.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote: The OP clearly stated that we now have a plethora of young KPP forwards with McCartin, White and Lee and a bunch of smaller forwards headed up by Membrey.

Of course it is.

I think the club and the coaches are well aware that we rely too heavily on Riewoldt and go to him too often and that things aren't going to improve until this glaring weakness is addressed.

PJ
SS Life Member

Whatever he's been doing both in training and on game day in the last couple of years seems to be working well for him so I can't see much change. Others will need to contribute and bring themselves into the game more.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Co-captain....

Not for at least 2 years but its be obvious you haven't wanted him captain for a few years. Still don't understand why though. We have no obvious choice to replace him and we aren't going to have co captains.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I think Roo would be at his best as a high half forward. He gets us out of trouble almost every time when leading for that kick out of defence. It's not saying to play him on the wing, but to have him use his athleticism to run up the wings as he always does.

With Paddy, White, Bruce, Membrey, Lee and resting ruck potentially in the forward line as 'talls', it's not impossible to assume Roo will play very high this year.

We can't have Roo kick 50 again and then the next best total in the low teens.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:I think Roo would be at his best as a high half forward. He gets us out of trouble almost every time when leading for that kick out of defence. It's not saying to play him on the wing, but to have him use his athleticism to run up the wings as he always does.

With Paddy, White, Bruce, Membrey, Lee and resting ruck potentially in the forward line as 'talls', it's not impossible to assume Roo will play very high this year.

Agree with this post. Play him high.

Very high.

Give the young key forward candidates a chance to develop in front of goal.

BTW, I forgot about Bruce in the op so thanks for reminding me.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 13 Jan 2015 9:43am, edited 1 time in total.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
St Ick wrote:I think Roo would be at his best as a high half forward. He gets us out of trouble almost every time when leading for that kick out of defence. It's not saying to play him on the wing, but to have him use his athleticism to run up the wings as he always does.

Very high.

Problem with Riewoldt, if you can call it a "problem" is than he is an endurance animal with almost unsurpassed football instinct of where to run to while reading the play.

heard bj saying that the reason it looks like the Saints are Riewoldt conscious is that in the heat of the game under pressure with the ball in your hands, looking for an option, Riewoldt would almost always be in the right place and usually with his opponent trailing metres behind.

The reason he is a champion is because he just knows where to run to almost all of the time. So the problem is that because we have an out an out champion in our forward line, the other forwards don't get to "develop" as quickly and are crowded out by Riewoldt.

I suppose it is easy to say to the mids delivering, look for more options, but in the heat of a game, with the competitive juices flowing, under pressure and with the champion captain on another of his million or so leads in a game, it is pretty hard not to take that option. If a seasoned campaigner like bj would do it, developing mids would be likely to do it even more.

For development of the forwards, Riewoldt on a wing may well be an option.

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

Very high.

BTW, I forgot about Bruce in the op so thanks for reminding me.

Those same forwards haven't had a kick at Sandy and Rooy isn't stopping them there. Play Rooy exactly as he has played all his career and put it on the others to try and work as hard. If they do they will get the ball.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

And dont forget we will also have Lonie, Templeton, Saad, Minchington Schneider Billings also looking for a spot on the forward line.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Very high.

Problem with Riewoldt, if you can call it a "problem" is than he is an endurance animal with almost unsurpassed football instinct of where to run to while reading the play.

heard bj saying that the reason it looks like the Saints are Riewoldt conscious is that in the heat of the game under pressure with the ball in your hands, looking for an option, Riewoldt would almost always be in the right place and usually with his opponent trailing metres behind.

The reason he is a champion is because he just knows where to run to almost all of the time. So the problem is that because we have an out an out champion in our forward line, the other forwards don't get to "develop" as quickly and are crowded out by Riewoldt.

I suppose it is easy to say to the mids delivering, look for more options, but in the heat of a game, with the competitive juices flowing, under pressure and with the champion captain on another of his million or so leads in a game, it is pretty hard not to take that option. If a seasoned campaigner like bj would do it, developing mids would be likely to do it even more.

For development of the forwards, Riewoldt on a wing may well be an option.
But we also need a few wins this season for morale and take some of the heat off. Our best chance of winning games is like last year, early in the season. The top teams pace themselves early to build for the finals. Didn't we beat the Swans last year? Richo will know if we can rack up a few wins in the first half it takes so much pressure off because god knows how many more we will win for the year. I expect Rooey to play his normal role for most of the year as a learning show for the young talls who have barely played any AFL and because he can hit the scoreboard and get us wins. Maybe towards the tail end of the year they might experiment with him a bit. And then the following year there might be a bit more experimentation.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

whiskers3614 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Him or us?
So they should be. He is amazing.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

it's a scenario that the Coaches will have been planning for since the Draft.

We need him leading the team and playing at his best. As others have said, we will need every goal that he can kick.

However, I believe that we will see some different focuses being tried, such as Rooey playing high, wide, or deep forward for a while, to see what works and what doesn't work. Alternatively, play him as a permanent Sub and bring him on only when we need him :wink: :wink: :wink: