Malthouse assistants

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

andrewg
Club Player

Malthouse assistants

So this latest coach sacking isn't a great endorsement for Mick Malthouses ability to develop leaders.....

Watters
McKenna
Neeld

Buckley not fantastic at the moment

Please don't tell me Alan Richardson was his assistant.... :wink:

Is it the Malthouse curse?

If Harvey has any chance he needs to get to Port of the Hawks or anywhere that hasn't be i texted by the grumpy old man.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Malthouse assistants

Richardson does include Magpies amongst his CV. I believe but he has been elsewhere also.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:Richardson does include Magpies amongst his CV. I believe but he has been elsewhere also.
Walked out on Malthouse.

Add Laidley to the malthouse failures

You are garbage - Enough said
andrewg
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:Richardson does include Magpies amongst his CV. I believe but he has been elsewhere also.
Yep..hence the :wink:

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Malthouse is the one Richo refers too when he talks of over-emotional coaching boxes. Unhinged is the way he talks of Malthouse.

busso mick
Club Player

I had to laugh when Mick thought that by inviting Waite around to dinner it was consent that he would not leave Carlton. The term Narcissistic Personality Disorder springs to mind.

Legendary
Club Player

Laidley
Neeld
Watters
McKenna

All sacked

And Buckley not exactly a standout performer, although I think he will end up ok

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:I had to laugh when Mick thought that by inviting Waite around to dinner it was consent that he would not leave Carlton. The term Narcissistic Personality Disorder springs to mind.

Have to agree - i laughed when I read that. Maybe it proves Jarad had genuinely not made up his mind and wanted to decide after hed spoken with Mick and heard what he had to say.
Then when Mick was a complete c*** <edited by mods, user warned> to him at dinner it helped him make up his mind.
Just ridiculous how one sided he sees it - as if hes so great that just asking someone to his house means that should be loyal to him for life.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
busso mick wrote:I had to laugh when Mick thought that by inviting Waite around to dinner it was consent that he would not leave Carlton. The term Narcissistic Personality Disorder springs to mind.

Have to agree - i laughed when I read that. Maybe it proves Jarad had genuinely not made up his mind and wanted to decide after hed spoken with Mick and heard what he had to say.
Then when Mick was a complete c*unt to him at dinner it helped him make up his mind.
Just ridiculous how one sided he sees it - as if hes so great that just asking someone to his house means that should be loyal to him for life.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think its ridiculous to say its Micks fault, most coaches appointed the last few years have been sacked.

proof in the pudding too, no success anywhere where player led sackings have happened either.

culture change isn't bad

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Laidley
Neeld
Watters
McKenna

All sacked

And Buckley not exactly a standout performer, although I think he will end up ok
I would think at least 95% of coaches are sacked so that doesn't mean too much in the scheme of things.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
Neeld
Watters
McKenna

All sacked

I would think at least 95% of coaches are sacked so that doesn't mean too much in the scheme of things.
95% of coaches are sacked in the end but not 95% of coaches are that drastically unsuccessful. So these guy are surely tracking way below average.
Their combined winning percentage must be around the 30% mark.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

In the Leigh Matthews days I believe, so that can't be bad.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I take ur point but Narcisstic PD is out of the DSM

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
I take ur point but Narcisstic PD is out of the DSM
Quite funny really. Waite said pretty much all year he wanted 2 years.
The Blues would only give him 1 and Norf offered him two - pretty straight fwd when it comes down to it.

Mick then said - we'll only you give one year but to make up for it you can come to my house for dinner. It will be a real treat! Heck we can even have ice cream for dessert!As though somehow one dinner was an equal to an extra years contract.

Then when that wasn't accepted Mick had a tantrum. Odd behaviour again from Mick. I do wonder if he is losing his marbles slightly.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 05 Oct 2014 12:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Malthouse's has always been a bit of an oddball, just as is Clarkson, Blight, and I guess they can just point to their premiership cups as coaches and say .."what's your point exactly?"

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Malthouse's has always been a bit of an oddball, just as is Clarkson, Blight, and I guess they can just point to their premiership cups as coaches and say .."what's your point exactly?"
Well I reckon there is something to this.
Love him or loathe him I dont think anyone can deny that Mick is own man. He doesnt try to be anyone else. Never has. Never will.
He might be an old ball but hes his own oddball.

With the 'Mick lites' - it seems they are trying to be someone they are not. People like Watters who try and act like someone else or 'assert their authority' like they have seen Mick do it - just comes across as fake and try-hard. And the moment that happens you can be sure the players will think of you as a flog.
You cant fake the tough guy act if its not you. You just to have be yourself. I think players really respect that more than someone trying live up to some act or idea.

supersaints
Club Player

Here is a post I did when Watters was sacked, at the time I discussed Watters and Neeld
Seems all his assistants seem to be falling on Mick's philosophy

I remember mighty Mick stating on a footy show that he had advised Watters and Neeld to take over every possible aspect of their clubs and maintain tight control of everything.
At the time I was a bit shocked and wondered how anyone with any decent, personell and management skills could hang on to such an outdated and draconian model?
He went on to glowingly praise both his assistance in their roles at Collywobbles and said he knew they would both make excellent senior coaches.

After watching Neelds video (when he invited the media into a team meeting) it became obvious that he knew nothing, his speech to the players was so embarrassing it was obvious he inadvertently stamped his papers to be removed.

While I wondered about Watters on the outside, he portrayed a good persona and seemed extremely likeable

His two "products", probably only got their gigs, due to Malthouse's glowing recommendations and a very lucky bounce denying Milne a goal, and us a premiership

On the face of recent events it seems Watters took Mick literally and he set out to become general of the club, he fell on his sword , I will be honest and say that from my prospective Watters seemed to be the sort of coach to grow a young list. Statements from Dermie also convinced me there was something good going forward.
Seems I could not be more wrong.
At least we are moving forward before a complete disaster !

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Tail wagging the dog- always been the problem at St Kilda, and Watters was just another victim of that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Tail wagging the dog- always been the problem at St Kilda, and Watters was just another victim of that.

SW was a victim of his own stupidity based on everything I have heard from those who would know and also what others have written here from those who seem to know. Glad he is gone. Employing people without telling the board. Playing an injured Saad when other selectors said no. losing most players young and old. Losing his staff. If that's tail wagging the dog then thank god.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Actually thought McKenna was incredibly hard done by, if Ablett hadn't got injured and they played finals, there's no way he would have got the chop. Now they are in limbo as to whether they get Thompson, which I hope they do and completely screw the East Germans up.
Also thought the Lions dropped Voss in the vague hope they were going to snare Roos.
As for Watters, yeah the more I hear behind the scene the happier I am he's gone.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bomber Thompson's assistants are tracking along nicely too.

We seem obsessed about assistants that have "won a premiership" but it clearly means very little in the long run.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Neeld
Watters
McKenna

All sacked

Our own Spud Frawley as well.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

In more recent years....

Primus, Knights, Harvey, Ratten, Voss, Neeld, Watters, Sando, McKenna, McCartney and prob more

Yet it's Hawks & Cats that have taken most of the flags in the last decade.

How was Bomber and Clarkos early years? Bomber told not to micro manage, Al told to change his manner....

Worked through it, backed them in.