Player signing #18 Tom Lee - 2016

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Player signing #18 Tom Lee - 2016

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2014-10- ... futurefest

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-09-3 ... talks-2015
Struggling to overcome shoulder issues, Lee has managed to play 13 AFL games in the red, white and black and is looking forward to what the future holds.

“After such a frustrating year and not playing too many games it’s really humbling to know that the club has got that faith in me to bring the group forward. I’m really looking forward to the challenge,” he told SAINTS.com.au.

“It’s good to know the coaches and the footy department have that faith in me to sign me for a further year.

“We all have to work really hard towards a common goal and I think we’re all doing that and it’s really exciting.”
Last edited by saintbrat on Wed 01 Oct 2014 11:32am, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Player signing #18 Tom Lee - 2016

Well congratulations Tom on a very generous contract.
Hope you give all you've got for the Saints

Nee!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Well done to Tommy Lee. He's copped it from the impatient fans but I think he will surprise a lot of the people who bag him once he gets the shoulders right. He's got excellent skills and a good attitude. I think he should be capable of being the Gunston type on the Saints list. He's probably never going to be the go to FF type but an elusive second or third tall forward.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The coaches obviously see the potential there.

Hope they are correct.

Still no Billings, my rumour is turning into a monster.

You are garbage - Enough said
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Will people let it go that he only got a gig cause of Watters, very clearly rated by others

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

SainterK wrote:Will people let it go that he only got a gig cause of Watters, very clearly rated by others
I don't see the issue. The kid has very good hands, is a great kick, and is actually very agile for his height.

If he can get a run at it without injury problems I think he will be a very good player, and I think the Gunston comparison is a very apt one.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:The coaches obviously see the potential there.

Hope they are correct.

Billings will be the final act. They want to build up to the big one. I think he will get a 4 year deal and he will be a very wealthy young man as we try to make up our minimum cap spend.

I don't know what people expect from Tommy Lee. I thought his first year was very solid and showed he was a very capable player. I think as fans we expected him to play all 23 games and when he didn't get much of a run we all put it down to deficiencies in his game. I spoke to him before the season and he said he was miles behind and needed to build up to an endurance base and said he expected to try to get back into the team around mid year. He'd had surgery in the off season and was aware of where he was and what he needed to do.

He's surprisingly vocal and a real club man. He's got a really big personality and is the Milney type jovial prankster. I think we will end up having him as a bit of a fan favourite once he gets on the park and his personality gets out there a bit.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
SainterK wrote:Will people let it go that he only got a gig cause of Watters, very clearly rated by others
I don't see the issue. The kid has very good hands, is a great kick, and is actually very agile for his height.

If he can get a run at it without injury problems I think he will be a very good player, and I think the Gunston comparison is a very apt one.
Was just pointing out that he wasn't Watters pet, as many claim

freely
SS Hall of Fame

What happened to the highlight reels? Did saints.com have an editor working on them for weeks 1-3 and now they've given them the boot?

I'm sure Tommy Lee's had more than one kick we could've had a look at.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I rate him - but his shoulders worry me. Lets hope his surgery worked out well and he can get on with it.
Has to consider himself extremely lucky to get the two years. But good luck and I hope you get the opportuniy to really show what you can do on a footy field. If not - back to drumming.

saint-stu
Club Player

Not sure about the Gunstan comparison. Gunstan is much lighter (10kg) and appears much more agile to me. Plays almost like a tall crumber. Lee looks heavier and slower, but can take a mark.

1ac46a38
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:

Hope they are correct.

Billings will be the final act. They want to build up to the big one. I think he will get a 4 year deal and he will be a very wealthy young man as we try to make up our minimum cap spend.

I don't know what people expect from Tommy Lee. I thought his first year was very solid and showed he was a very capable player. I think as fans we expected him to play all 23 games and when he didn't get much of a run we all put it down to deficiencies in his game. I spoke to him before the season and he said he was miles behind and needed to build up to an endurance base and said he expected to try to get back into the team around mid year. He'd had surgery in the off season and was aware of where he was and what he needed to do.

He's surprisingly vocal and a real club man. He's got a really big personality and is the Milney type jovial prankster. I think we will end up having him as a bit of a fan favourite once he gets on the park and his personality gets out there a bit.
yeah I know gringo, I'm just having some fun re Billings. For a start he is contracted to the end of 2015 even if he was unhappy, we would have a year to tourn him around.

Secondly he WILL be the big one and probably the last one.

As far as Tom Lee goes, he is harshly marked as he was a high dp swap (along with Spencer White) and supporters are impatient.

I don't believe the coaching staff are mugs. if they think he didn't have a chance to make it, they wouldn't have extended his contract past 2015. I have faith in the coaching staff in that sense.

Hope he can get himself right, get a tank and combine with Spencer to have sixty goal seasons. Good luck to the lad.

You are garbage - Enough said
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:Not sure about the Gunstan comparison. Gunstan is much lighter (10kg) and appears much more agile to me. Plays almost like a tall crumber. Lee looks heavier and slower, but can take a mark.

Earlier in the year he was too light now he's too heavy. He played a similar style in the WAFL and is very good with the loose ball and has good hands at ground level. I think the Saints might be trying to make him a KP when he is better suited to the Gunston role. I have put the youtube WAFL highlights link in, apart from the high marking his best qualities are the one handed gathers, elusive movement and confidence to play on. That looks like Gunston style to me. Ironically they were probably at Adelaide together.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Wow....

matrix
Saintsational Legend

always rated him and have never understood those that dont
glad he is staying

bigballs
Club Player

Looking forward to seeing him play next season injury free. Tommy is good in the air, can crash a pack and is a reasonably good kick, so if he can manage to get himself fitter, I'm sure he'll become a valuable player for us next year.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

Hope they are correct.

Needs a decent hair cut

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Good on the club for sticking fast with Tom Lee. I for one, hope that we can continue with this campaign to build up a great culture at our club. It is SO good witnessing the LACK of headlines regarding "disgruntled Saints players wanting out" I was fortunate enough to catch up with Tom Lee during a game last season, and found him to be friendly and humble, now before anyone starts tearing me down for that remark; I KNOW it has nothing to do with his play on the field, BUT gathering a group of players of good character together, is one of the requirements for success. I happen to think we're on the right road........or am I; "blinded by my Saints bias"? :wink: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:always rated him and have never understood those that dont
glad he is staying

I would say it is his VFL form.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Wow....
Agree.

Madness signing him beyond next year.

What's the point?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:
Spinner wrote:Wow....
Agree.

Madness signing him beyond next year.

What's the point?
So the kid can play with a clear head next season. Doesn't have to think he's playing for his career.

andrewg
Club Player

Too harsh on him on this site. ..His good games were very good in his first year. I think he is a player great signing IMO

matrix
Saintsational Legend

13 games
49 marks
18 goals 11 behinds

in a s*** side

not bad

Saints94
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:13 games
49 marks
18 goals 11 behinds

in a s*** side

not bad
His tracking better than Liam Jones :wink:

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I think he can be a cog in a good forward line.
He will never be the key forward but a third tall certainly. He is an excellent kick for goal and reasonably strong on the lead with good hands.
If he can build up his tank he can become that third tall that Tom Lynch was supposed to have been.
We already have some of the ingredients required for a reasonably strong Forward line post Roo.
A highly mobile roaming key forward who has a license to operate from CHB to the Goal square. I think we would hope either Spencer or Rhys can make this their position.
We either need a big strong key marking forward or a resting ruck who can crash packs. I do not believe we have a player like this at the club yet.
A strong leading third tall forward, this is the role I see Lee taking with perhaps Markworth his backup.
I think Billings will remain and flourish as a creative half forward flanker (in a Stevie J style) rather than move permanently to the midfield. He at the moment is a direct replacement for Schneids but I don't see a backup player in the side at the moment.
Templeton as a permanent crumbing pacey forward pocket type with Minch his obvious backup.