Eli in 2014 - upgrade or rookie?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eli in 2014 - upgrade or rookie?

The lad started all guns blazing but in all honesty was a tad lucky to be selected for the NZ game which ended his season.

Eli has huge potential, but we could keep him hungry by keeping him as a rookie next year.

Counter argument is there are currently 7 spots and hopefully 10 once a few more are chopped so upgrading Eli still would give plenty of picks/trades.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Eli in 2014 - upgrade or rookie?

Can't see the point in upgrading him personally, he didn't play enough footy to justify it yet.

I have no doubt that we will have enough injuries for him to play from the rookie list next year & there will be plenty more spots opening up on the main list next year you would imagine.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I'd upgrade him, he showed more than some who are STILL on the senior list.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
PJ
SS Life Member

I'd upgrade in a second. One of the best and most exciting raw talents on our list.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I'd say he 'will' definitely be upgraded.

But depending on how pushed for space we are on the senior list, he may have to start the season once again on the rookie list. Shouldn't matter too much, as unfortunately there's bound to be a LTI before very long.

After seeing him fairly up-close on Saturday, Eli is also very slight. Sure, his arm injury would have 'worsened' that, but extra time in the gym before taking on AFL senior-sized bodies again would probably be a very good thing.

That said, considering what Eli showed this season, just wait till he puts on a bit of muscle... will be a very exciting player for us! :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saintbob
SS Life Member

Definite upgrade

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Can't see the point in upgrading him personally, he didn't play enough footy to justify it yet.
Agree. Way too soon to tell if he'll be a player and we lose nothing by leaving him on the rookie list. In fact we lose by promoting him, because then we have to use a late rookie draft pick to fill the list spot rather than a late national draft pick. Late rookie draft picks aren't worth much.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

If we had another pick in the national draft last year we would've picked Eli. We already have 7 list openings if you include Milera. We have positioned ourself to upgrade a couple of rookies and Eli will be one of them IMO.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

He showed plenty in the few games he played IMHO. Deserves to be upgraded

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Legendary
Club Player

Showed more in his first couple of games than some guys who are drafted in the top 10.

Definitely gets an upgrade - yes he was quiet in a couple of games, but he is that type of player who will take a while to build consistency.

From what I see from afar - he doesn't seem like the personality type who needs to be "kept hungry". I don't think motivation to play footy is his problem!

aaron82
Club Player

50/50 call for mine. Eli on talent should be on the list. There will most likely be an LTI early next season opening up a spot for him to play. I don't see any harm keeping him as a rookie, we need to ensure he comes back well from injury. Might take him a while to get going

and that's the bottom line
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Leave him as a rookie.

If the question was "Upgrade or Delist", then he'd be on the senior list for sure.

He showed plenty, and will be upgraded eventually, but if we're not forced to upgrade, let the kid get back and play some footy and let him beat down the door again.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Definitely upgrade him and give him number 8. He will definitely make it so use the rookie spots to test the waters with some others.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Legendary wrote:Showed more in his first couple of games than some guys who are drafted in the top 10.

Definitely gets an upgrade - yes he was quiet in a couple of games, but he is that type of player who will take a while to build consistency.

From what I see from afar - he doesn't seem like the personality type who needs to be "kept hungry". I don't think motivation to play footy is his problem!
I agree. His value to the club also seems to me to go beyond his potential onfield contribution.

There's a genuine buzz when he gets the ball, and the kids really love him - after only one season, mine insist on wearing RW&B "eli" hair, and the other kids sitting around ours are just as enthused.

We need some new heroes. Notwithstanding his injury, he's one I want us to show some faith in.
Last edited by SemperFidelis on Wed 03 Sep 2014 1:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Always loyal
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

SemperFidelis wrote:
Legendary wrote:Showed more in his first couple of games than some guys who are drafted in the top 10.

I agree. His value to the club also seems to me to go beyond his potential infield contribution.

There's a genuine buzz when he gets the ball, and the kids really love him - after only one season, mine insist on wearing RW&B "eli" hair, and the other kids sitting around ours are just as enthused.

We need some new heroes. Notwithstanding his injury, he's one I want us to show some faith in.
This is very true. As well as ability he has the X factor our club needs.

My daughter who isn't even three yet continually talks about "Eli" and wants to see pictures of him.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Kernal75
Club Player

Upgrade him, will only cost us pick 80 or something ridiculous. A known quantity is far better than passing on a pick later in the draft. Already had a year in the system so will be better next year.

evo
Club Player

His output was dropping off in his last couple of games. If he performs all right we can upgrade him during the year. Weller is the only one who deserves promotion that I can see.

Saint wagga
Club Player

We certainly know that Richo rates him going by his reference on multiple occassions when talking about our new talent often grouping Billings, Dunstan, Acres and Templeton together. Weather or not that translates into an upgrade onto the senior list probably has more to do with overall list management stuff of which Richo is not soley in control. If he was good enough to be picked as a first year player in our best 22 at the start of the year before our poor run with injury, IMO he's going to be good enough with an extra year under his belt and another pre-season.

His fractured humerus is certainly a serious injury to get over, and will leave some mental scars that he can hopefully overcome well and truely, and if the medicos are happy with his progress, elevate him for mine. Creates a spot on the rookie list for another youngster.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Forgot about the marketing value of Eli.

That should be the little extra to get him a spot on the main list

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Forgot about the marketing value of Eli.

What marketing advantages are there in having him on the primary list over the rookie list?

PJ
SS Life Member

Why put him on the rookie list when you know the coaches are going to want to play him every week?

Who's spot is he taking?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like they are planning to upgrade him… good show of faith I guess.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Forgot about the marketing value of Eli.

What marketing advantages are there in having him on the primary list over the rookie list?
He can play whenever he is fit or in form for the Saints - doesn't need to rely on LTI

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Sounds like they are planning to upgrade him… good show of faith I guess.
PLUS 1

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Sounds like they are planning to upgrade him… good show of faith I guess.

I think when you upgrade a rookie it is simple maths. If a player who you are upgrading is not taking a spot of a better player on the list and is better than any other player you can get in the draft and you think he has a future as a ones player then you upgrade. Obviously the club think Templeton has. The question is does Weller, Shenton and Minchington fit that bill. IMO only Weller does but who knows.