Vale thezelk

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Vale thezelk

It is with great sadness that I inform the SS community of the sudden passing of 'thezelk' last Friday. I received the news overnight. His wife, who I did not know at all, was kind enough to inform me.

Z was a decent man of high principle and an ethical base. He was quirky, knowledgeable, devoted and driven.

Even though his work didn't allow him to see much of his beloved Sainters, his enthusiasm never waned. He rode the highs and lows with the rest of us.

He was a good guy.

I've put up a more fulsome tribute in the E'dope thread, for reasons that will be obvious to some.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
karnaby
Club Player

Re: Vale thezelk

Sad to read of one of ours passing away. Thoughts and best wishes to the zelk family.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

RIP.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintvic
Club Player

My condolences to the zelks family and friends xx

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Thanks for passing this on to us all ToT.

Sad news. :(

Vale Tony, and sincere condolences to your loved ones. A loss to the wider world, and a loss to the Saintsational family.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Can I just say, as someone who actually knew The Zelk, but had no idea that he posted on here the following.

I first met Zelko in late 2012. He, amongst other things he did in the sports medicine field, ran a converted gym out of his sisters property in Malvern. I drove to this address once a week with my two daughters (aged 12 and 14) The gym was made up of mainly soccer blokes which appeared to be Zelko's field of specialty, but ppl of all sporting backgrounds were welcome to work out and be prescribed exercise programs from him. Upon arrival I was greeted by this larger than life beautiful friendly stocky Serbian man, with a smile that lit up a room. He straight away made my daughters feel welcome, and despite the prominence of males in the room they felt right at home working out even though they had never done work outs ever before. This was the friendliest gym I have ever been to. Ppl chatted naturally amongst themselves, and there was tons of laughter always. This was due to the man who ran the gym and the way he conducted himself. Zelk NEVER had a bad word to say about anyone. In fact when I think of it, I don't think I ever saw him in a bad mood. He ALWAYS had time for everyone. The ppl who attended his gym (and there were plenty, trust me) revered him. One lady who was completing a medical degree told me once he was a "master" of his field. A genius.

I quickly came to learn that Zelko was possibly the most intelligent, brilliant sports scientist I had come across. (I myself have a sports science degree from about 25 years ago, which I never really have used, and my older brother also has a similar degree which he does use, and trains numerous persons of note. I say this not to big note myself, but to illustrate that I have come across quite a few sports medicine people throughout my life)

For those who didn't know - Zelk trained Robert Harvey for awhile. I'm not sure whether it was the issue with his hammy or building up of core strength, I was told at the time, but I forget now. He had a giant signed poster of Harves in his gym.

Zelk loved the saints. The cushions in his gym were painted red, white and black. Whilst in the gym Zelk would talk openly of the PEDS crisis facing the Bombers. Occasionally I would engage him in the saga, and he had some very interesting things to say. Some of the things I just didn't understand, as they were above my intellect. He was used at WC and other AFL clubs as a consultant. He knew PLENTY in the industry. He also played a prominent role at the AIS I understand a number of years back.

My daughters came to worship him, they deeply respected his knowledge and admired him, and they loved the man he was. He would go out of his way to talk to them at the gym, make silly jokes, poke fun at them, or just discuss some issue with them that was happening in their lives. Whenever they had an injury of some description the first thing ever said in my household was "let's see what Zelko has to say about it?" I took his word over physio's many times. And he was always right.

The most complimentary thing I can say about Zelk though is who he was. To give you an example of the impact he had, when my wife (who had only met him 1/2 a doz times) received a phone call Sunday afternoon informing her of his passing, I found her sobbing over the phone. She just kept saying, 'he was such a good man.' My daughters have been inconsolable despite us not seeing him for 3 months (the drive from Croydon North to Malvern finally wore us down) We always imagined that Zelk would be there for us if we needed him though. It was with shock and sadness we learnt of his passing. A healthier bloke you couldn't come across.

As a copper of over 20 years I come across plenty of people we describe as 'oxygen thieves.' People who really don't contribute much at all to society other than misery. On the other end of the spectrum there's blokes like Zelko...... If TOT has used Zelk as reference for some of the matters discussed on here re the Essendope thread, then I guarantee you it comes from no higher authority.

I knew relatively very little about the man. He loved Soccer (was a goal keeper at NSL level I believe) He loved cricket and fancied himself as a Wicket Keeper. He also loved AFL. To speak to the man there wasn't a sport he didn't appear to love though. I completely concur with TOT when he says that Zelk was of the highest moral standing and loved sport to be played the right way.

The world has lost a true gentleman, and I will be forever sad because of it. I value the fact that I got to meet Zelko and that he was able to influence my daughters in such a positive way.

RIP mate

Moods (Pete Moody)

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Cheers Moods, that's fabulous.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
karnaby
Club Player

Thanks for sharing Moods.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Yes thanks for sharing Moods.

Very sad indeed.

Condolences to the family.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Moods.
Quite sad - seems like an absolutely tremendous bloke.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Condolances to those who knew him

GO SAINTS

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Thanks for sharing your story, Moods..... a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man....one of those who made the world a better place simply by their presence in it.

Vale Zelko

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:Thanks for sharing your story, Moods..... a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man....one of those who made the world a better place simply by their presence in it.

Vale Zelko

+one.

Sad news he was one of the good guys on here too. Commiseration to Zelko's family he sounds like a fantastic guy in real life and has added to the conversation on here in a dignified manner too.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

RIP. Condolences to family & friends !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

my condolences to the family :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
busso mick
Club Player

Thank you Moods for the insight into Zelko, what a lovely story you have shared. It sounds like you and your family were blessed to have met the man.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for sharing Moods.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

BakesFan wrote:Thanks for sharing your story, Moods..... a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man....one of those who made the world a better place simply by their presence in it.

Vale Zelko
plus 2.

Gives perspective to insignificant things like football.

Tomorrow when you wake up, dont worry about the petty problems at work, or the latest irrelevance on the news, thank you own diety that you still have your flash of existence in the infinity of time.

Look at the sky, give the dog a pat, and relish what you have.

RIP Zelko

You are garbage - Enough said
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Thanks ToT and Moods for sharing the news.
Condolences to the family and anybody on here who knew him.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Great reflection moods... Sounds like a ripping bloke and I am sorry to hear of his passing.

Thinking of your family zelk. RIP mate.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I never met the man or took a lot of notice of his postings however reading that post moods you would not have thought so. Brilliantly articulated, you really painted a picture of a generous and brilliant man and I feel like I personally know him after reading it. I've since been reading through all his posts and he seems like the type of bloke you would love to have in your life that really contributes positively and is not an 'oxygen thief.' Not a bad bone in his body.

Condolences to The Zelk family and his friends. I'm sure there will be many a beverages and fun stories told reminiscing of such a great life. RIP.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Great obituary of sorts moods.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thefatdork
Club Player

Sounds like we've lost a bloke who genuinely made the world a better place.
This forum will be much poorer with his passing.
All the best to his family and friends.
Dan

St Loxton
Club Player

Very sad news, thanks for the tribute. Life is short, relish every moment.

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

Moods wrote:Can I just say, as someone who actually knew The Zelk, but had no idea that he posted on here the following.

I first met Zelko in late 2012. He, amongst other things he did in the sports medicine field, ran a converted gym out of his sisters property in Malvern. I drove to this address once a week with my two daughters (aged 12 and 14) The gym was made up of mainly soccer blokes which appeared to be Zelko's field of specialty, but ppl of all sporting backgrounds were welcome to work out and be prescribed exercise programs from him. Upon arrival I was greeted by this larger than life beautiful friendly stocky Serbian man, with a smile that lit up a room. He straight away made my daughters feel welcome, and despite the prominence of males in the room they felt right at home working out even though they had never done work outs ever before. This was the friendliest gym I have ever been to. Ppl chatted naturally amongst themselves, and there was tons of laughter always. This was due to the man who ran the gym and the way he conducted himself. Zelk NEVER had a bad word to say about anyone. In fact when I think of it, I don't think I ever saw him in a bad mood. He ALWAYS had time for everyone. The ppl who attended his gym (and there were plenty, trust me) revered him. One lady who was completing a medical degree told me once he was a "master" of his field. A genius.

I quickly came to learn that Zelko was possibly the most intelligent, brilliant sports scientist I had come across. (I myself have a sports science degree from about 25 years ago, which I never really have used, and my older brother also has a similar degree which he does use, and trains numerous persons of note. I say this not to big note myself, but to illustrate that I have come across quite a few sports medicine people throughout my life)

For those who didn't know - Zelk trained Robert Harvey for awhile. I'm not sure whether it was the issue with his hammy or building up of core strength, I was told at the time, but I forget now. He had a giant signed poster of Harves in his gym.

Zelk loved the saints. The cushions in his gym were painted red, white and black. Whilst in the gym Zelk would talk openly of the PEDS crisis facing the Bombers. Occasionally I would engage him in the saga, and he had some very interesting things to say. Some of the things I just didn't understand, as they were above my intellect. He was used at WC and other AFL clubs as a consultant. He knew PLENTY in the industry. He also played a prominent role at the AIS I understand a number of years back.

My daughters came to worship him, they deeply respected his knowledge and admired him, and they loved the man he was. He would go out of his way to talk to them at the gym, make silly jokes, poke fun at them, or just discuss some issue with them that was happening in their lives. Whenever they had an injury of some description the first thing ever said in my household was "let's see what Zelko has to say about it?" I took his word over physio's many times. And he was always right.

The most complimentary thing I can say about Zelk though is who he was. To give you an example of the impact he had, when my wife (who had only met him 1/2 a doz times) received a phone call Sunday afternoon informing her of his passing, I found her sobbing over the phone. She just kept saying, 'he was such a good man.' My daughters have been inconsolable despite us not seeing him for 3 months (the drive from Croydon North to Malvern finally wore us down) We always imagined that Zelk would be there for us if we needed him though. It was with shock and sadness we learnt of his passing. A healthier bloke you couldn't come across.

As a copper of over 20 years I come across plenty of people we describe as 'oxygen thieves.' People who really don't contribute much at all to society other than misery. On the other end of the spectrum there's blokes like Zelko...... If TOT has used Zelk as reference for some of the matters discussed on here re the Essendope thread, then I guarantee you it comes from no higher authority.

I knew relatively very little about the man. He loved Soccer (was a goal keeper at NSL level I believe) He loved cricket and fancied himself as a Wicket Keeper. He also loved AFL. To speak to the man there wasn't a sport he didn't appear to love though. I completely concur with TOT when he says that Zelk was of the highest moral standing and loved sport to be played the right way.

The world has lost a true gentleman, and I will be forever sad because of it. I value the fact that I got to meet Zelko and that he was able to influence my daughters in such a positive way.

RIP mate

Moods (Pete Moody)
Thank You Moods (and all the others who have posted tributes).

I am Zelko's brother in law, and I will certainly pass on your condolences to the family.

You obviously knew Zelko very well, and have captured his essence brilliantly in your post. A kinder and more generous man you will never meet, and what you say about his gym is spot on. It became a community, a family for those that visited it regularly and in the end it became more than just a work out. It was a place to meet new friends.

He loved the Saints, and along with his sudden passing, the thing that breaks my heart is that he will never get to see his beloved Saints rise up the ladder and win their second premiership. But when they do, I know that Zelk will be in my heart as we sing the club song together.

We attended Lenny's last game together, and although we lost, the conversation on the way home was about the future, and how we were on the right track. But that was Zelk. Always the optimist.

On Friday I will farewell my friend of 30 years. At the moment, football just doesn't seem that important.

RIP Zelko