Hard Decision

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Hard Decision

I am seriously considering not going this Sunday, not because of how we are playing, but simply a Sunday twilight game at the MCG is just a completely pain in the butt to get to and home.
If it was at Etihad, it wouldn't have been that big of a problem.
The G just adds extra cost and time to get there and home. Getting home is a problem when you have to get up at 4 am for work the next day.
So thsnk you AFL for the time slot, looks like you have successfully kept another fan away from the game.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hard Decision

3rd generation saint wrote:I am seriously considering not going this Sunday, not because of how we are playing, but simply a Sunday twilight game at the MCG is just a completely pain in the butt to get to and home.
The G just adds extra cost and time to get there and home. Getting home is a problem when you have to get up at 4 am for work the next day.
So thsnk you AFL for the time slot, looks like you have successfully kept another fan away from the game.

I cant go Saturday arvo but Sunday twilight suits me and its cheaper and quicker to get home. I think my point is you cant suit everyone and they have already said these slots wont be as often now. I dont know where you live but you would be home around 9 surely.
Last edited by plugger66 on Tue 19 Aug 2014 1:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

3rd generation saint wrote:I am seriously considering not going this Sunday, not because of how we are playing, but simply a Sunday twilight game at the MCG is just a completely pain in the butt to get to and home.
One last live chance to see Lenny Hayes go round for the saints is surely worth the effort.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

I concur with P66.

Moving from Waverley to Docklands was a boon for me, under cover and closer to home, and easier to get home as well.

That's the only reason I go.

As it is the last chance to see Lenny live, I will make the ultimate sacrifice and go to that other uncovered stadium.

You are garbage - Enough said
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think Lenny kicks the winning goal after the siren… don't miss out 3gs.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

spert
Saintsational Legend

I won't be going because we will probably put up another uncompetitive performance, get killed in the midfield in the first quarter as usual, and we will have no hope of winning from that point. Then I will have to listen to AR's pressers where he repeats the script as per most other games.."yeah no, we got killed in the first quarter in their midfield, and by their outside runners..yawn. Rather stay at home..and I like footy at the MCG.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

spert wrote:I won't be going because we will probably put up another uncompetitive performance, get killed in the midfield in the first quarter as usual, and we will have no hope of winning from that point. Then I will have to listen to AR's pressers where he repeats the script as per most other games.."yeah no, we got killed in the first quarter in their midfield, and by their outside runners..yawn. Rather stay at home..and I like footy at the MCG.

You are garbage - Enough said
noddy04
Club Player

My wife and I are flying over Sunday morning to watch the team win against the tigers. We are staying over night and flying back Monday evening to get ready for the game v the crows. We cant wait for Sunday morning :)

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I'm going

I want to see Lennys last game

And I love the G

And I can't stand etihad

I do agree that the twighlight timeslot stinks tho

That is all

#1 Ryder fan
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'll most likely go and take my 2 yr old son for his first game. So I probably won't see much of the game and may have to leave early lol!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Soft.
Really really really soft.

In fact I'm disgusted that a time slot is the reason people won't see number 7s last game in melb live.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Double post

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Soft.
Really really really soft
a time slot is the reason people won't see number 7s last game in melb live ?
Sad

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Okay as I said I start work at 5 am 2 hours before sunrise. I am up in Sydney right now for last weeks game. I live in Hoppers Crossing so it takes me longer to get home.
Public Transport would take even longer to get home. The only parking available is in the MCG car park so it costs more to go.
As I said at Etihad not a problem, I'm home in half an hour.
I may still go because yes I do want to be at Lenny's last game in Melbourne, but the AFl us more interested in Foxtel's ratings than the people who actually want to go to the game.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Okay as I said I start work at 5 am 2 hours before sunrise. I am up in Sydney right now for last weeks game. I live in Hoppers Crossing so it takes me longer to get home.
Public Transport would take even longer to get home. The only parking available is in the MCG car park so it costs more to go.
As I said at Etihad not a problem, I'm home in half an hour.
I may still go because yes I do want to be at Lenny's last game in Melbourne, but the AFl us more interested in Foxtel's ratings than the people who actually want to go to the game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I won't be going because we will probably put up another uncompetitive performance, get killed in the midfield in the first quarter as usual, and we will have no hope of winning from that point. Then I will have to listen to AR's pressers where he repeats the script as per most other games.."yeah no, we got killed in the first quarter in their midfield, and by their outside runners..yawn. Rather stay at home..and I like footy at the MCG.

Spert how come you havent told me who do you rate as good coaches of our club over the years. Asked many times and can you also tell me how you rated SW if you could be so kind. And how come Paul Roos has a side with exactly the same wins as us?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Good coaches are good coaches- Apart from our best coach in Jeans, we have had Lyon, Alves, Sheldon and GT who got us into finals, so there is every chance they had some coaching ability. Watters got a raw deal coming in after Lyon, with a bunch of largely dispirited players who clearly didn't get behind him and made his job harder than it should have been- some preferring to sook rather than play for the jumper- nuff said. I think he did OK in his first year under those circumstances, and my gripe is the weakness of the club in not seeing his contract out and at least giving him a chance to build in a difficult period- then they could have let him go if they wanted someone else. Paul Roos is a premiership coach and went to Melbourne, a crap club with lots of cash, and ordinary playing list and by rights shouldn't have won any games, so it makes us look even more ordinary. There you go P66.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Like 3gs I will not be attending, even though I have attended almost every Victorian game over the last 40 odd years.

Like 3gs I find the time slot annoying. Combined with a recent change to V/Line timetabling I’d be lucky to walk in the door before a quarter to ten.

I actually made my decision many weeks ago, before Lenny announced his retirement. With that now confirmed I took the opportunity to say my goodbyes against the Bulldogs. I will also say some further goodbyes to the little pixelated #7 on my TV screen over the next two weeks.

The 4:40pm MCG scheduling wasn’t the only factor as Sunday is also my wife’s Birthday. Although she’d probably be okay with me attending if I really pushed it, it helped form my decision when I made it a couple of months back.

At the end of the day I do love Lenny.

But I really, really love my wife. :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Good coaches are good coaches- Apart from our best coach in Jeans, we have had Lyon, Alves, Sheldon and GT who got us into finals, so there is every chance they had some coaching ability. Watters got a raw deal coming in after Lyon, with a bunch of largely dispirited players who clearly didn't get behind him and made his job harder than it should have been- some preferring to sook rather than play for the jumper- nuff said. I think he did OK in his first year under those circumstances, and my gripe is the weakness of the club in not seeing his contract out and at least giving him a chance to build in a difficult period- then they could have let him go if they wanted someone else. Paul Roos is a premiership coach and went to Melbourne, a crap club with lots of cash, and ordinary playing list and by rights shouldn't have won any games, so it makes us look even more ordinary. There you go P66.

Spert i think you need to realise if SW finished his contract then many players, young and old, would have tried to get out. He lost nearly all the players, the assistamt coaches and the board. That is fact. As for your comment that Melbourne have a crap list and shouldnt have won a game i think that is your way of saying Roos has done a great job whilst saying AR has done a poor job. The problem with that is SW didnt do much better last year with a clearly better list and unbiased people who picked the ladder pre season mostly had us below the Dees so it really doesnt hold any weight at all.

Your bias against AR doesnt seem to have much sense especially as you seem ok with our previous crazy coach.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Hate the timeslot. It stopped us going as a family for many years - even now, it's hopeless for the kids on a Sunday night.

Have grown accustomed to the cushy insideness of Etihad (although love the G on a Saturday afternoon!)

Hope this timeslot gets ditched permanently in 2015.

3GS, I understand your reluctance (and Dr Spaceman's marital birthday dilemmas).

But as my own 6YO third generation Saint has lucked into running through the banner Sunday afternoon (with another little mate of his), we'll all be there, bugger the inconvenience, decked out in our I Love Lenny gear one last time.

And 3GS, I hope you'll be there too!

Always loyal
BakesFan
SS Life Member

If I still lived in Vic, there'd be NOTHING stopping me seeing Lenny's last Melbourne game....... that's all I'll say on the matter.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Image
I think the saints will be the ones that get wiped.

As a side note I wonder if The saints can hold off a fast tanking Melbourne in the race for the #1 draft pick...

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I booked the flights for Liverpool back in June (before Lenny's announcement) I'm SICK to the stomach to think I'll miss the great man's final game at the ground where he played some of his finest games for the Saints! I'm with the rest of the folks on this 3rdster, you'll be sorry if you miss a big send off for Lenny, I'm envious of those who will be there! get yourself to that ground!!! Bollocks to the timeslot! This is a CLUB LEGEND we're talking about! GET TO THAT GAME!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I booked the flights for Liverpool back in June (before Lenny's announcement) I'm SICK to the stomach to think I'll miss the great man's final game at the ground where he played some of his finest games for the Saints! I'm with the rest of the folks on this 3rdster, you'll be sorry if you miss a big send off for Lenny, I'm envious of those who will be there! get yourself to that ground!!! Bollocks to the timeslot! This is a CLUB LEGEND we're talking about! GET TO THAT GAME!!!!
YNWA

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.