Stanley, a new dawn

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Stanley, a new dawn

Think it's my second Rhys thread tonight, but I've had a few celebratory beers over tonight's game. Pretty much the happiest I've felt about the saints this decade apart from when Goddard took that mark, I was pretty happy at that moment, that much so I think my body went into overload and felt like I was coming down for 5 days after it, sidetracked...

The signs are becoming more than signs now for me, he is rapidly emerging at the very least as a genuinely dangerous tall forward, and on improvement could easily become a top 3-4 fwd in the league. The signs have been there the past month, he had taken numerous contested marks playing under some of the most disgraceful delivery and slow movement of the ball forward in the modern era. Tonight he finally played in a game with a dominant midfield, against one of the supposedly great defences , and he tore the game to shreds. Now he's clunking his marks, he can couple that with his 55-60m stock standard drop punt bombs. Then throw it that 'grand final sprint' 200cm speed and you have a serious weapon.

It's not all doom and gloom for key fwds down Linton st, without putting the mozza on this guy saying he will be the best player ever, but we're seeing enough from him to suggest he could be a genuine weapon. Then theres's that 196cm sidestep down at sandi coming along.... Are we really that deprived for future key fwds?

Bring back the Lockett era
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stanley, a new dawn

I would have happily traded him a month ago and now it looks as though that might have been premature. Rhys was fantastic yesterday and, fingers crossed, the penny has dropped for him.

Also, perhaps it is no coincidence that given some responsibility he rises to the occasion.

Richardson said Stanley typified the Saints and made special mention of Riewoldt, who played further up the ground.

“He had to play a bit of selfless footy in terms of the position he played,” Richardson said.

“We wanted to have a look at Bruce and Rhys Stanley in the deeper options.”
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 20 Jul 2014 1:53am, edited 1 time in total.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

One very good win and the list is fine, i hope someone is on the money, doubt it's Joffa, err Bunk, or whoever he is today.. :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Great OP, watching the replay now, thought he was brilliant at the game, but seeing on the replay some of the extra efforts he put in under pressure.
WE MUST PERSIST!!!

Always loyal
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i don't u/s people's opinions on players fluctuate so much from game to game

Stanley is a developing forward/ruck... he's been heavily maligned over his career mostly due to his lack of presence. In this area he has taken strides this season. He's taken more contested marks and shown that if he reads the flight... he's pretty strong grab.

In a team that has been injury trodden, and at times lacked both support rucks/forwards and good midfield supply... he has been inconsistent and very ineffective at times but also shown promise at others. He's looked better when we've played better.

This one performance doesn't = coming of age... nor should some of his poor performances mean he should be cut.

Same with Gwilt... he's been heavily maligned all season... this game VS Freo he played really well... doesn't really change anything in the cotext of the type of player he is for us

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Sticking with Rhys Stanley may become the best decision on a player the club has made in a long long time.

He looked confidant, strong and sharp. Took a bunch of marks, ;presented beautifully, used his size and speed to its best advantage and kicked long goals

We did win by a lot which helped him look even better but based on some of his other performances this year and break out game like this has been coming. Long may he continue in this vein of form

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He's a slow developer but looks like he'll come good.

We now need Lee to do the do the same as Stanley needs a foil and Roo won't be around much longer

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
jamesmc
Club Player

Hurricane wrote:Sticking with Rhys Stanley may become the best decision on a player the club has made in a long long time.

He looked confidant, strong and sharp. Took a bunch of marks, ;presented beautifully, used his size and speed to its best advantage and kicked long goals

We did win by a lot which helped him look even better but based on some of his other performances this year and break out game like this has been coming. Long may he continue in this vein of form

BANG BANG
Agree.
Imagine the feeling of watching him play that sort of footy say with Freo against us.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:Sticking with Rhys Stanley may become the best decision on a player the club has made in a long long time.

BANG BANG

I always saw the potential in him and have stood up to the baggers on here but I think with Rhys even his detractors were only disappointed that his application wasn't as good as his attributes. He's athletic, tall and clean with a big straight kick. Thank god they persisted with him because he is starting to return on the investment. If he gets his confidence up like last night regularly he could be another Tipett rather than just a third tall who can chop out in the ruck.

saint-stu
Club Player

Is it really that surprising? I can never understand why people make judgements on players before they're 23. He's 23 now and is just coming into his prime. And we know that big guys always take a bit longer.

Anyway, I'm really happy that it's all coming together for Rhys now. I don't think we need him to be the next Roo, just a good strong forward option, which is beginning to look likely.

We were very successful with Kosi as our second forward for quite a while and Rhys may even be better than Kosi.

1ac46a38
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Might be crazy talk, but who is needed in the forwardline most if Del and Bruce go back. We'd have Rhys and Lee going forward.

So out of Jaksch, Patton, Cameron and Boyd who would fit best.

Cameron: not your power forward type, too similar to Lee or Rhys.

Patton: Starting to show awesome signs. Like how he just roams now. Massive presence all over the field - anyone see him kick off his left after he dummied Kelly last night - awesome...

Boyd: Kicking elite, will be a star and no one can really judge an 18 year old 200cm KPF in his first season. But can we have two giants up in the fwdline?

Jaksch: seems like steak knives but was a forward being played out of position at GWS due to all of their forwards... Does ok as a backman so would be a good swing man.

So, Jaksch and Bruce could rotate forward and back depending on match ups, Patton, Lee and Rhys could form a formidable partnership and Del stays FB for a decade.

Dreaming? Or are we better off with the raging bull Petracca and Jaksch can come to us via PSD or pick 21?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Sorry, and the way that relates to Stanley is does he fit with our structures? Ie won't be able to draft Wright if we have Rhys there. So does this mean Rhys is untouchable or does it just drive up his price to almost first round status?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Was a great game.

Now he needs to aim for consistency.

I think Bruce really helped our forwards.

Might be the guy who enhances others games, which is fine, he can forge a career out of that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Might be crazy talk, but who is needed in the forwardline most if Del and Bruce go back. We'd have Rhys and Lee going forward.

So out of Jaksch, Patton, Cameron and Boyd who would fit best.

Cameron: not your power forward type, too similar to Lee or Rhys.

Patton: Starting to show awesome signs. Like how he just roams now. Massive presence all over the field - anyone see him kick off his left after he dummied Kelly last night - awesome...

Boyd: Kicking elite, will be a star and no one can really judge an 18 year old 200cm KPF in his first season. But can we have two giants up in the fwdline?

Jaksch: seems like steak knives but was a forward being played out of position at GWS due to all of their forwards... Does ok as a backman so would be a good swing man.

So, Jaksch and Bruce could rotate forward and back depending on match ups, Patton, Lee and Rhys could form a formidable partnership and Del stays FB for a decade.

Dreaming? Or are we better off with the raging bull Petracca and Jaksch can come to us via PSD or pick 21?

We needed forwards a week ago and we still need them now. Forget this one week changes everything stuff. Doesnt mean I would draft a forward but we do need at least 2 more. Cant rely on any of Stanley, Lee or white until they prove thay can play consistent senoir footy.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I have previously posted that in watching him closely over the past month or so, that even in losing teams, his "effort" has consistently got stronger and stronger. As I said then, eventually, the wheel will turn for the better.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

everyone calling him a dud over the last two years might see now what a few of us knew what was coming

will be the next main forward for us

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He has put in faux effort many a time.

Deserved to be dropped, deserved to regain his spot.

Good luck to him.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

LOL at fake effort

this i have to disagree on.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:LOL at fake effort

You think he was dropped cause he was giving everything M?

Had a very long run at it, seemed to think his spot was a given.

I hope it was the turning point for him, I really do

If he plays like that consistently, we're a MUCH better side.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

becasue the structure and delivery to him has been supurb over this season?

lets face it structure yesterday was the best its been in two years
delivery by footy was fantastic
so when a ff who has a leap on him like a gazelle and can move like one gets delivery thats perfect...guess what happens?

thats right the kids shines
work ethic was fine imo
delivery and hence maybe work rate was a little off prev but when you get shite delivery you get shitted off

understandable

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

We got home from the game around 11:00 PM and watched most of the replay on Fox. I have been a harsh critic of Rhys over the past two seasons and questioned his long term worth. I have stopped short of calling for the guillotine because I am very mindful of how long Geelong persisted with its next messiah - Tom Hawkins. He was similar to Rhys for a very long time; imagine how foolish the football world would treat the Cats had they moved him on?

Rhys has shown bursts of his true potential this season but gone M.I.A. on too many occasions resulting in him being dropped. It has taken 53 games bt yesterday, finally, was the breakout game we have all been waiting for. 200 cm forwards with his speed don't grow on trees. It seemed, for such a long time, we were polishing a turd when it was a hidden gem.

Saint supporter since '62
Royston
Club Player

I'm waiting on the Bruce - Lee foward combination.....will chop any backline to pieces !!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
matrix wrote:LOL at fake effort

You think he was dropped cause he was giving everything M?

Had a very long run at it, seemed to think his spot was a given.

I hope it was the turning point for him, I really do

If he plays like that consistently, we're a MUCH better side.
It all comes together with confidence and delivery, especially playing as a key forward.

However, to state that Rhys was only pretending to try by wobbling his head from side to side is nonsensical and a real slight on his character.

At least you didn't call him a soft you know what....where is that big mouth now?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm here owning it.

Said it, stand by it.

I think he was putting in half hearted efforts.

Don't care if people disagree.

It's hardly a slight on his character, players put in less than 100% all the time.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

I think K;s comment has merit

he did put the head down for a bit
i fully believe he is a confidence player
needs others to be up and about and for himself to get a good start and get a couple of goals
think most players have had a lazy patch prob except roo and the len dog who just bust a gut regardless of form and delivery

rated the kid for ages (sa boy so theres bias)

lets just hope he turns into the future of our club huh :D

nothing wrong with standing by ya thoughts K
go sainters
Last edited by matrix on Sun 20 Jul 2014 11:40am, edited 1 time in total.