What are our expectations moving fwd??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

What are our expectations moving fwd??

I, sadly, have yet to see today's game, and spent the afternoon on my AFL app watching the scores being updated, hardly believing my eyes. I will watch the replay later this week.

Obviously todays game the boys played brilliantly. The question is what does this do to our expectations of them?

Do we a) now expect that they have turned the cnr and are capable of winning 2-3 more games before seasons end?

Do we b) think that they will merely be far more competitive but still struggle to win any more games.

c) Was this a one off? A fluke if you like, and we will revert to type the next game and thereafter?

I would love to think a) but I think b) is more realistic and if it turns out to be c) I'll be more gutted than ever.

What do others think? Will this win give the boys the confidence they need to be far more competitive, or will it make us supporters just too optimistic and the expectations will get out of control? I would love to get to a game and see that live. After witnessing what I have for the past 6-7 weeks, I feel I deserve it... :wink:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: What are our expectations moving fwd??

Negativity as soon as we lose, the list is farked, trout is useless, the Pelican is useless, etc. etc.

It'll all be back to normal soon enough...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We have had poor application since the Lions game. One quarter efforts get you ripped apart.

If we apply ourselves like we did today, then the future will be better

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I think you need another option.

A1. Potential to win at least 1, possibly 2 more. Belief is a wonderful thing. Flashes of the future already on display, inspired by St Lenny on to greater things.

Hope you can get to one, Moods. Even with only 16,500 odd there, the roof nearly lifted off whenever no. 7 got within the same postcode as the ball.

Magic.

Always loyal
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Has to be a turning point. The difference between this week and the last 3 months is about a milliion ions apart. If we can produce that tonight then we can produce half as good as that on a regular basis, and even at half as good as tonight we can be competive/ beating junk sides

Bring back the Lockett era
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

On a positive note i think we should take it one game at a time.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

interestingly, I believe this win, and GWS' effort against Geelong has breathed life back into the season for the four bottom sides. I am really hoping Brisbane can beat the Suns in Brisbane, which will in turn boost the pressure upon them. This could help us against them after the bye. Hope Melbourne and the Giants get another win too, although Melbourne are showing signs of being uncompetitive again, which must be an almighty worry for their supporters.
The Bulldogs game will be good as should the Richmond match, but it is important to remember that both of them have had similar wins to the one we had tonight.
We should win at least one more game. Hopefully a massive win.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
stkfc1
Club Player

Of course its a turning point because it will be a reference for the future of what we are capable of. The group will now know what can happen if they play 4 quarters , back themselves and give 100%. This is massive for our young group and could be the game that defines us. Make no mistake we have a looong way to go and there will be plenty of pain still to come (I wouldn't be surprised if we get smacked next week) but these are the sorts of games that galvanize the group and give them that all important self belief. Go Saints! :D

stkfc1
Club Player

Of course its a turning point because it will be a reference for the future of what we are capable of. The group will now know what can happen if they play 4 quarters , back themselves and give 100%. This is massive for our young group and could be the game that defines us. Make no mistake we have a looong way to go and there will be plenty of pain still to come (I wouldn't be surprised if we get smacked next week) but these are the sorts of games that galvanize the group and give them that all important self belief. Go Saints! :D

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

All ive wanted to see for the last 11 weeks is effort. We gave that in spades this week.

I expect if we play that way for the rest of the year we may snag a couple more W's

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Newman
Club Player

For 2014 ... at least have one more win. Definitely love to see us beat Bulldogs at Etihad in Lenny's final home game at Etihad. No disgrace to lose honourably to Sydney, Adelaide and Gold Coast at their home grounds. But a win against Dogs to avoid wooden spoon would be great,

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Newman wrote:For 2014 ... at least have one more win. Definitely love to see us beat Bulldogs at Etihad in Lenny's final home game at Etihad. No disgrace to lose honourably to Sydney, Adelaide and Gold Coast at their home grounds. But a win against Dogs to avoid wooden spoon would be great,
Agree. That's the big game for us. They can get pansed in the others but beating the Dogs at the Lenny Tribute Match (LTM) is a non-negioable.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saint 58
Club Player

Also missed the game, in hospital for a few days and looking forward to watching the replay :)
I keep thinking about my mindset yesterday ...
Hoping we can score at least 8 goals, keeping the margin to around 50 points, wondering if the scores were round the wrong way, etc !!
It's been a tough year but we've shown patches here and there.
Yesterday was the complete package, but I'm not expecting miracles.
I'm prepared to be patient :)
Go Sainters !!

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
gringo
Saintsational Legend

At about half way through the match I started pining for our disappearing number 1 pick. We probably just Daniel Wulfed a priority pick out of our hands. Bloody Ross Lyon.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:At about half way through the match I started pining for our disappearing number 1 pick. We probably just Daniel Wulfed a priority pick out of our hands. Bloody Ross Lyon.
Lol.
We probably were never a show for a PP regardless.

But Lyon is a snakeoil salesman ain't he?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Gringo, I do NOT want to see another wooden spoon! Not EVER! With good trading, we can still maintain momentum for the rebuild without the ignominy of another spoon!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:interestingly, I believe this win, and GWS' effort against Geelong has breathed life back into the season for the four bottom sides. I am really hoping Brisbane can beat the Suns in Brisbane, which will in turn boost the pressure upon them. This could help us against them after the bye. Hope Melbourne and the Giants get another win too, although Melbourne are showing signs of being uncompetitive again, which must be an almighty worry for their supporters.
The Bulldogs game will be good as should the Richmond match, but it is important to remember that both of them have had similar wins to the one we had tonight.
We should win at least one more game. Hopefully a massive win.
Saying that "we should' win another game given the season we have had is unrealistic.

We are on the bottom with a percentage of 61%.

We have been uncompetitive for 12 weeks.

Lets see if we can back it up with a sustained effort.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

yeah, the "realists" got saturday's result right, did they not? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:yeah, the "realists" got saturday's result right, did they not? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Exactly. As Richo said, this is the benchmark.

It should be the minimum effort each week.

With that effort we could win two plus games.

You are garbage - Enough said
BakesFan
SS Life Member

...no less than 3 more wins to finish off the year (and Lenny's career) on a high....... we'll take the scalps of the Suns, Bulldogs and Tigers. (at the very least)

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Just contest.

Win, lose or draw, just be competitive and do their job as directed.

Reload for next year and aim for improvement from here.

We have sucked this year. We have to get better.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....