emma quale on the draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

emma quale on the draft

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... zs16n.html

"The new under-18 competition is halfway through, and has raised more questions than it has answered about the pointy end of this year’s draft. Which keeps things interesting, mostly for the recruiters who will be picking there. This could be a year where they won’t be too disappointed if they miss out on pick one, given the evenness of the group and the lack of one blatant stand-out.

With three rounds to go, no player has really insisted that the top spot be theirs. That may well happen in the next few weeks but at the moment the same names are thereabouts, still dividing people. Peter Wright missed Vic Metro’s 44-point loss to Vic Country on Sunday, with Metro deciding to fulfil the requirement to give 32 players at least two games in the first three games before settling its side down, and the tall forward/ruckman is maybe one big game away from satisfying some of the recruiters’ queries, mostly tied in to whether they think he's more of a forward or ruckman.

Tom Lamb, a hard-running but quirky forward, has balanced some of his best how-did-he-do-that football with losses of concentration that have recruiters unsure how high he’ll push up the order. He missed on Sunday with a minor groin problem but will be interesting to watch in the last few rounds as will Harry Dear and Zaine Cordy, father-son options for Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs who keep showing bigger and longer glimpses.

....my head says peter wright ...but my heart says go for ian cooper's grandson....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: emma quale on the draft

stinger wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... zs16n.html

"The new under-18 competition is halfway through, and has raised more questions than it has answered about the pointy end of this year’s draft. Which keeps things interesting, mostly for the recruiters who will be picking there. This could be a year where they won’t be too disappointed if they miss out on pick one, given the evenness of the group and the lack of one blatant stand-out.

With three rounds to go, no player has really insisted that the top spot be theirs. That may well happen in the next few weeks but at the moment the same names are thereabouts, still dividing people. Peter Wright missed Vic Metro’s 44-point loss to Vic Country on Sunday, with Metro deciding to fulfil the requirement to give 32 players at least two games in the first three games before settling its side down, and the tall forward/ruckman is maybe one big game away from satisfying some of the recruiters’ queries, mostly tied in to whether they think he's more of a forward or ruckman.

Tom Lamb, a hard-running but quirky forward, has balanced some of his best how-did-he-do-that football with losses of concentration that have recruiters unsure how high he’ll push up the order. He missed on Sunday with a minor groin problem but will be interesting to watch in the last few rounds as will Harry Dear and Zaine Cordy, father-son options for Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs who keep showing bigger and longer glimpses.

....my head says peter wright ...but my heart says go for ian cooper's grandson....

McCartin or Brayshaw I reckon. Lamb shouldnt be pick 2 from what I undertand and I have been told that Wright isnt the type we need.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would agree with McCartin, although I would probably pick up Wright before Brayshaw. It is going to be a harder choice for our 2nd and subsequent pick though.
If we did decide on Wright we would need to trade out a tall.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Why isn't Wright the type we need? I haven't seen him play but he sounds like a Tippet type of player to me - can play deep forward with effect but is equally good in the ruck.

Wouldn't that make him a perfect full forward and relief ruckman?

With restricted interchange the value of a forward who can also ruck escalates as it helps rotations from the bench.

We desperately need a quality young key forward who can ruck IMHO - Hickey to ruck and from what I have seen to date Longer has a long way to go and I would actually love to see him as a tall defender because he has a magnificent fighting spirit, needs to be led to the ball to compete and is actually good below his knees.

Add a Reid via trading and we have a rebuilt young forward line IMHO.

Rhys gets retained purely because he is great back up.

Tom Lee could be the ideal 3rd tall if he retains his defensive acts.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If we trade Stanley... Wright would be the pick we'd probably want?

McCartin seems a logical choice

Goddard, whilst tall could well end up a tall runner... He's not a power fwd or back

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I don't like the description of the baby sheep as a quirky forward. What does that mean??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

you'd have to ask emma......milne like maybe...who knows...the boy has talent though....just like his grandfather...who incidently was bog in the 66 flag....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

With no standout number 1 pick it also sounds to me that the number 1 pick we will end up with is just going to be an average AFL player and not 'the next 'Nick Reiwoldt' - which is one of the risks when you go down this path. We were lucky last time around that we snagged Nick & BJ with our number 1 picks. It could just as easily have been Watts & Scully - which looks closer to where we are going to land this year. No saviour in this draft. From what Im reading there are some guns in the 2015 draft pool and I reckon that we are definitely going to end up with a top 2 pick in that draft.

To use Champion Data ratings, Im predicting we will end up with players who will fall into the average category from this coming draft, rather than the above average to elite categories. May put our 2018 aspirations back by 1 year.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Watts and Scully were absolute stand outs and were assured to be stars... Shows you how fickle recruiting can be

No guarantees

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Why isn't Wright the type we need? .
Caveat: I know NOTING about any of the players...but a top 3 pick on such a type would make me nervous for two reasons

1/ Low pick ruck/forwards rarely seem to go on to be dominating players even if they play a goodly number of games...ie Kosi, Kruzer, Fraser (For that matter low pick rucks rarely seem to go much better than much latter picks, and with rucks blooming late trying to pick them early is a real lottery).

2/ While I do understand the merits of taking "best available". We need our fits picks to be in positions that are core. ie midfield or a true key forward.

I like Billings as a player, he has lots of talent that is for sure, but if he remains a half-forward it is a lot harder for him to influence games, that if he was a gun mid. Lets hope as he builds his body that he can also play well in the engine room.

Some really influential early picks can really help to turn around a team. Geelong plucked a beauty in Selwood who was exactly the type of core player they needed.

Port with Boak at 5, Wines at 7, and Wingard at 6 have some great "engine room " picks.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Billings reminds me of Winguard

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Christian Petracca has been the standout in the under 18's nationals so far. Crameri type that's very physical. Basketball background. Playing in the midfield as a big bodied and goal scoring midfielder after starting as a medium forward. He trained with Hawthorn as part of the AIS program and Lewis on Future Stars likens him to a quicker version of Josh Kennedy from the Swans. He's the bolter and could go top 3. None of the top forwards have impressed at all this year. McCartin was better last year as an underager. Big risk choosing a tall with such a high pick.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Billings reminds me of Winguard
I am hoping that he can go that way...

We need dominating mids a lot more than we need dominating hfs at present.

FQF
SS Life Member

If Wright is more ruckman than forward, I'd choose to pass. First, we have enough rucks who we think will make it. Second, when was the last time a top 10 ruckman became an elite player? Possibly the riskiest pick in a draft.

noob
Club Player

I wouldn't be recruiting Wright. Probably will turn out like Tyrone Vickery. There hasn't been too many 200cm forwards that have turned out to be superstars.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:With no standout number 1 pick it also sounds to me that the number 1 pick we will end up with is just going to be an average AFL player and not 'the next 'Nick Reiwoldt' - which is one of the risks when you go down this path. We were lucky last time around that we snagged Nick & BJ with our number 1 picks. It could just as easily have been Watts & Scully - which looks closer to where we are going to land this year. No saviour in this draft. From what Im reading there are some guns in the 2015 draft pool and I reckon that we are definitely going to end up with a top 2 pick in that draft.

To use Champion Data ratings, Im predicting we will end up with players who will fall into the average category from this coming draft, rather than the above average to elite categories. May put our 2018 aspirations back by 1 year.
Really sensible analysis. Be nice to see how Pelican would spin this question if put to him. The only savour could be if it's a deep draft, ie if our other picks are good.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Glad none of you guys will be recruiting for us.

You would all overlook O'meara Koladshnij Fyfe Wingard Dunstan Riewoldt Hayes etc etc as they aren't Victorian.

Apparently Wright McCartin Brayshaw and Goddard are the only people in the draft.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 09 Jun 2014 5:09pm, edited 2 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Zed wrote:With no standout number 1 pick it also sounds to me that the number 1 pick we will end up with is just going to be an average AFL player and not 'the next 'Nick Reiwoldt' - which is one of the risks when you go down this path. We were lucky last time around that we snagged Nick & BJ with our number 1 picks. It could just as easily have been Watts & Scully - which looks closer to where we are going to land this year. No saviour in this draft. From what Im reading there are some guns in the 2015 draft pool and I reckon that we are definitely going to end up with a top 2 pick in that draft.

Really sensible analysis. Be nice to see how Pelican would spin this question if put to him. The only savour could be if it's a deep draft, ie if our other picks are good.
This is why maybe we should consider more midfielders in the draft (e.g Pickett) and then try and land a bigger fish like Sam Reid and then a rookie spot on someone like Brett Eddy.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He reminds me of Wnguard in the fact he's a small fwd, more than a midfielder.

Winguard plays 75% forward

Rocket
Club Player

Watched game yesterday live. Petracca was the absolute standout and must be now Top 5. He is a bull, tackles as hard as Hayes or Hodge, kicks the ball very well, marks, quick, demands the ball. This guy will have immediate impact. 92kg, ready made onballer, classy forward.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of recruiting from interstate.
Kenny Sheldon was on radio on Saturday and talking about how hard it was to find about WA players back in the 90s.
'We hadnt even heard Dean Kemp and those kind of players'.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dean Kemp played Teal Cup?

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Even though we need a key forward, if they're not sure, get the best mid-fielder. Will never go to waste!

PurpleHayes
Club Player

A few murmurs that the too 20 in the draft could be pretty even etc..
I'm sure as we near closer, recruiters will firm up their order - this happens most years and phantom drafts are roughly accurate, of course there's always a handful of annomolies too.

I reckon that having pick 1 or 2 simply means we can get the player we absolutely want. Whether it be a midfielder, forward etc..

If we have pick 2, Pelchen and co will have 2 players in mind, the best midfielder and the best KPP. A great position to be in!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:Even though we need a key forward, if they're not sure, get the best mid-fielder. Will never go to waste!
Particularly when we lack so severely there, and moreso if you ignore Lenny and Joey.