'Go again Lenny' says Coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

'Go again Lenny' says Coach

http://m.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premi ... 6936420574

I'm all for it. Even if they agree to play 12 and have 10 in the coaches box.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: 'Go again Lenny' says Coach

Con Gorozidis wrote: I'm all for it. Even if they agree to play 12 and have 10 in the coaches box.
:shock: :?:

I love Lenny and he will go down as a legend of the Saints but please - let's think about the good of the club and the teams development.

We have Jack Steven, Dave Armitage, Jarryn, Farren and Joey who will be there and perhaps Schneids as well.

Is that what they do at the successful clubs? Luke Hodge at 28 years of age only got signed by the Hawks on a 2 year deal at the end of last year. Look at what happened to Didak and Krakeur and Jolly...Geelong did the same with Chappo and a few others. Guys like Lingy retired for the GOOD of the team

I agree that we need some experience and some hard bodies in the midfield but surely this is not what's best for the future. Luke Dunstan, Seb Ross, Tommy Curren, and even Templeton, Billings and Acres will surely need to gain experience and time in the middle DOING - NOT just watching.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:http://m.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premi ... 6936420574

I'm all for it. Even if they agree to play 12 and have 10 in the coaches box.
Lenny might be holding back Bull from making it, AFL clubs aren't benevolent societies that give players an extra year to give them a chance to get their finances in order, when it's past them, say thanks then F*** em off.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Is that what they do at the successful clubs? Luke Hodge at 28 years of age only got signed by the Hawks on a 2 year deal at the end of last year. Look at what happened to Didak and Krakeur and Jolly...Geelong did the same with Chappo and a few others. Guys like Lingy retired for the GOOD of the team.
I'm not sure we're comparing apples with apples. None of those teams had a massive hole in their list where the mid 20-something guns are supposed to be. And none of them were sitting in the bottom 4.

If Lenny can go round again to provide experience and stability when needed it won't be at the expense of the kids. We have to play the kids. But it will be a long time before some of them are running out a full season.

I hope he can do it. Go again Lenny. We all love Lenny.

Always loyal
FQF
SS Life Member

If Lenny wants to go again, and his form warrants it (ie. he maintains his current form), then of course we extend him. I must be missing something if people are saying otherwise??

Please explain?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:If Lenny wants to go again, and his form warrants it (ie. he maintains his current form), then of course we extend him. I must be missing something if people are saying otherwise??

Please explain?
As if it's up to posters on a fan forum, get a grip and wait and see what those at the club that make the real decisions do. :shock: :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

That's why I said 10 to 12 games might be a good compromise.

I'm as harsh on the older players as most and dont want to see the club used as a super annuation top up club for the class of 09 but i would personally bid adieu to Jones Gwilt and Schneids and Fisher is already semi retired.

Top 5 b and f is a top 5 b and f. If Lenny does that we need to consider keeping him for sure. Add to that Joey might be trade bait.

Add to that we have a few players who hardly play anyways and will also finish up (tdl maister) so there is a place for Lenny to play on.

But agree he should not play 22 games.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Someone had to show the kids what to do and how to do it. If he plays on it'd be more for the off-field benefits than on-field. Something none of us can judge, but I think he should definitely stay on.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

How many players drew inspiration from training and playing with Robert Harvey and watching his incredible work ethic?. Lenny provides the same inspiration whilst his form is good.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Richardson's statements were pretty emphatic, on both Dog's value as a guide and example, and his on field performances.

Maybe Richardson's reflecting on some of the following measures of Dog's performances on field (he's played 8 of 9, took Rnds 2 and 3 to get going, but these are averages across his 8 played cf. everybody else);
- No 1 for disposals
- No 1 for clearances
- No 1 for uncontested possessions
- No 1 for inside 50's
- No 2 for contested possessions
- No 2 for centre clearances
- No 2 for accumulated points (No 1 in the last 5 weeks)
- Time on ground of 78% (about the mid point for combative midfielders)
- Disposal efficiency of 69% (which is, again, O.K. cf. his career and other similar midfielders)

He sits equal 2nd with Joey in the AFL Coaches Votes, behind Nick, but has polled in 4 of his last 6.

Richardson's spot on - if his form holds and he feels his body is going O.K. late in the year, they have to have the conversation, and the decision would essentially be made on Lenny's answer to 1 question - "Do you want to Lenny?".

Because if he wants to (which he would only say if he was confident he could hold up well enough to demand his place on performances), his performances render his age completely irrelevant.

There's plenty of room to make the necessary adjustments to the list, and provide opportunity for youngsters to develop, without culling a bloke who'll probably finish top 3 in the B & F, again, if not win it.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

There are around 13 games to go but if Lenny plays nearly all of them and keeps his form then he should decide if he plays again or not. lets think things through. if he does go again he has to be fully committed. he isnt going to play 12 and spend 10 in the coaches box. He isnt going to agree to it and neither would the club. That was even suggested this year. It wouldnt happen in todays footy or probably yesterdays. The other thing I totally disagree with is he is holding people back. if they are good enough the others players will play. That im sure of. Also in his current form I dont think we can lose him. We cant afford to be much worse than we are and on his form at the moment we clearly will be. And one final thing and its a selfish one on his behalf but if he plays every game for the rest of the year he will be laeft on 298. The closest ever to 300 that has retired. However much of a team man he is im sure even he would love to get to 300 if they are that close.

So in summary if he plays most of the games in his current form its his call and im pretty sure the club will think that way.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The OtherThommo wrote:Richardson's statements were pretty emphatic, on both Dog's value as a guide and example, and his on field performances.

Maybe Richardson's reflecting on some of the following measures of Dog's performances on field (he's played 8 of 9, took Rnds 2 and 3 to get going, but these are averages across his 8 played cf. everybody else);
- No 1 for disposals
- No 1 for clearances
- No 1 for uncontested possessions
- No 1 for inside 50's
- No 2 for contested possessions
- No 2 for centre clearances
- No 2 for accumulated points (No 1 in the last 5 weeks)
- Time on ground of 78% (about the mid point for combative midfielders)
- Disposal efficiency of 69% (which is, again, O.K. cf. his career and other similar midfielders)

He sits equal 2nd with Joey in the AFL Coaches Votes, behind Nick, but has polled in 4 of his last 6.

Richardson's spot on - if his form holds and he feels his body is going O.K. late in the year, they have to have the conversation, and the decision would essentially be made on Lenny's answer to 1 question - "Do you want to Lenny?".

Because if he wants to (which he would only say if he was confident he could hold up well enough to demand his place on performances), his performances render his age completely irrelevant.

There's plenty of room to make the necessary adjustments to the list, and provide opportunity for youngsters to develop, without culling a bloke who'll probably finish top 3 in the B & F, again, if not win it.
Dead set list clogger, hold back a young mid that may get 5 -10 possessions per game :wink:

You are garbage - Enough said
FQF
SS Life Member

Wayne42 wrote:
FQF wrote:If Lenny wants to go again, and his form warrants it (ie. he maintains his current form), then of course we extend him. I must be missing something if people are saying otherwise??

Please explain?
As if it's up to posters on a fan forum, get a grip and wait and see what those at the club that make the real decisions do. :shock: :roll:
Get a grip? Who said it was up to posters on a fan forum?

I'm expressing an opinion, and am well within my rights to do so. The fact that you can't justify the opinion that you yourself expressed earlier in the forum and had to resort to some strawman says it all.

You're telling me to shut up and wait and see what happens, while you state that the club shouldn't sign him? Arrogant blindness...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Plenty of room on the list if his body is sound and his mind wants another year.

TDL, Savage, Maister, Siposs, Jones, Gwilt, Milera, Dunell… theres 8 spots that I'd would comfortably free up before retiring off our current best midfielder and one of the greats of the club.

The idea that Lenny is holding Murdoch back from becoming a gun is fanciful at best.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Lenny is still our best inside midfielder, full stop! If he can be convinced to go around again, he makes our team better, both when it's struggling and when we're going well...he is holding no one back in their development. If young midfielders can't displace Jones, Ray, Schneider, all of whom are not as good as Lenny, past present or future, and would not be picked before him, then he's not keeping someone out of the team.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:Lenny is still our best inside midfielder, full stop! If he can be convinced to go around again, he makes our team better, both when it's struggling and when we're going well...he is holding no one back in their development. If young midfielders can't displace Jones, Ray, Schneider, all of whom are not as good as Lenny, past present or future, and would not be picked before him, then he's not keeping someone out of the team.
Sounds about right.

Certain players also "earn" the right to choose the timing of their departure. Obviously, those who have stuck with club from debut are at the head of that line. This calibre of player never wants to outstay his welcome and is all too aware of the inevitable decline in his abilities. But, their contribution to a rebuilding team is immeasurable, especially if they are a natural leader. This has been Melbourne's, and to some extent Richmond's, problem over the years despite high draft picks. No respected long term leaders.

Lenny will be gone soon enough, just like Nick. There is no need to hurry them out of the door if they still want to pull on the red, white and black.

busso mick
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:Lenny is still our best inside midfielder, full stop! If he can be convinced to go around again, he makes our team better, both when it's struggling and when we're going well...he is holding no one back in their development. If young midfielders can't displace Jones, Ray, Schneider, all of whom are not as good as Lenny, past present or future, and would not be picked before him, then he's not keeping someone out of the team.
Sounds about right.

Certain players also "earn" the right to choose the timing of their departure. Obviously, those who have stuck with club from debut are at the head of that line. This calibre of player never wants to outstay his welcome and is all too aware of the inevitable decline in his abilities. But, their contribution to a rebuilding team is immeasurable, especially if they are a natural leader. This has been Melbourne's, and to some extent Richmond's, problem over the years despite high draft picks. No respected long term leaders.

Lenny will be gone soon enough, just like Nick. There is no need to hurry them out of the door if they still want to pull on the red, white and black.
Well said Perfectionist and Saint Wagga. The value of Lenny to Luke Dunstan being on the field is immense, but also he has more than enough credits to decide when it is time.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:There are around 13 games to go but if Lenny plays nearly all of them and keeps his form then he should decide if he plays again or not. lets think things through. if he does go again he has to be fully committed. he isnt going to play 12 and spend 10 in the coaches box. He isnt going to agree to it and neither would the club. That was even suggested this year. It wouldnt happen in todays footy or probably yesterdays. The other thing I totally disagree with is he is holding people back. if they are good enough the others players will play. That im sure of. Also in his current form I dont think we can lose him. We cant afford to be much worse than we are and on his form at the moment we clearly will be. And one final thing and its a selfish one on his behalf but if he plays every game for the rest of the year he will be laeft on 298. The closest ever to 300 that has retired. However much of a team man he is im sure even he would love to get to 300 if they are that close.

So in summary if he plays most of the games in his current form its his call and im pretty sure the club will think that way.
And on his 300th next year. Not a dry eye in the house you'd imagine.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

perfectionist wrote:
Sounds about right.

I hope I don't sound condescending when I say this is the best thing you have ever posted!! Nail. Head. Hit......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SunburySaint
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:There are around 13 games to go but if Lenny plays nearly all of them and keeps his form then he should decide if he plays again or not. lets think things through. if he does go again he has to be fully committed. he isnt going to play 12 and spend 10 in the coaches box. He isnt going to agree to it and neither would the club. That was even suggested this year. It wouldnt happen in todays footy or probably yesterdays. The other thing I totally disagree with is he is holding people back. if they are good enough the others players will play. That im sure of. Also in his current form I dont think we can lose him. We cant afford to be much worse than we are and on his form at the moment we clearly will be. And one final thing and its a selfish one on his behalf but if he plays every game for the rest of the year he will be laeft on 298. The closest ever to 300 that has retired. However much of a team man he is im sure even he would love to get to 300 if they are that close.

or seat....

Now lives in Geelong...
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SunburySaint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

or seat....

Why? Will it be at Adelaide oval?

SunburySaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SunburySaint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

or seat....

Why? Will it be at Adelaide oval?
Most likely Pluggs! Maybe everyone might tear up that much that they wet their seat.... if his 300th is at Etihad may be we can have hoses hanging from the roof over the seats to ensure all the seats get wet.... you know, just for dramatic effect?

Now lives in Geelong...
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If he plays every game this season he will be on 298. He deserves to get his 300.
I would make him a playing Assistant Coach and give him 10 12 games next year. That way he will get to his 300, and we will have him tied up as an Assistant Coach. Win Win.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:If he plays every game this season he will be on 298. He deserves to get his 300.
I would make him a playing Assistant Coach and give him 10 12 games next year. That way he will get to his 300, and we will have him tied up as an Assistant Coach. Win Win.

Barry that is never going to happen. Players cannot coach these days. That would mean they do 2 jobs badly. If he plays next year he must be available for 22 games or he doesnt play.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

In a Sub role as a bench/Ass. Coach ..... Yes

As a full time mid ..... No

Time to develop new group.

I hate the sub vest, it retards development.