Goal kickers needed....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Goal kickers needed....

We are in dire need of goal kicking players.
There are only four on our list who have kicked more goals than games played.
Nick Riewoldt of course. 594 goals in 268 games.
Terry Milera, 28 in 26 games.
Tom Lee, yes thats right, 17 goals in 10 games.
Jack Billings, 7 in 6 games.

Not good enough. WE should have more consistent goal kickers. Our first priority this trade/ draft season.

Trent Dennis Lane has also kicked 39 in 28 games, but I am not sure if that includes his Sydney games

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goal kickers needed....

borderbarry wrote:.

Trent Dennis Lane has also kicked 39 in 28 games, but I am not sure if that includes his Sydney games
9 games 9 goals for the Saints.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The fact that after 9 rounds we're still yet to notch up 100+ points in a game is pretty good indicator of this.

Sure wish someone would present themselves as an alternative route to goal from poor old Roo.

Tom Lee averaging almost 2 goals a game was a no brainer at the start of the year. Sure hope he presents at some point.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
FQF
SS Life Member

I'd like to see how Longer goes resting forward when Stanley goes to ruck. If he shows some promise, perhaps we can use him in that position for the rest of the year with Hickey as the main ruck until we recruit a pure forward. Because at the moment, Stanley as our second key forward, is simply not pulling his weight.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:I'd like to see how Longer goes resting forward when Stanley goes to ruck. If he shows some promise, perhaps we can use him in that position for the rest of the year with Hickey as the main ruck until we recruit a pure forward. Because at the moment, Stanley as our second key forward, is simply not pulling his weight.

He got in the square and was all by himself 10 meters out on sunday and no one would kick it to him. He was jumping around like a gorilla trying to get attention.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:I'd like to see how Longer goes resting forward when Stanley goes to ruck. If he shows some promise, perhaps we can use him in that position for the rest of the year with Hickey as the main ruck until we recruit a pure forward. Because at the moment, Stanley as our second key forward, is simply not pulling his weight.

You do realise he has taken one mark in the last 2 weeks. Stanley isnt a great forward, matter of fact he is ordinary but i reckon compared to Longer he maybe Plugger. At least Stanley looks like he can chase. i dont think Longer would apply any forward pressure at all.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

You do realise he has taken one mark in the last 2 weeks. Stanley isnt a great forward, matter of fact he is ordinary but i reckon compared to Longer he maybe Plugger. At least Stanley looks like he can chase. i dont think Longer would apply any forward pressure at all.
He's taken one mark playing as a ruckman. I realise it's a long shot, but Stanley simply doesn't kick enough goals. What can be lost if we changed from Longer being 80% ruck and Stanley 20% (a guess) to Longer 60% and Stanley 40%.

If Longer does show some signs, it won't be a bad thing.

It's a subtle tweak, but might open doors.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He's taken one mark playing as a ruckman. I realise it's a long shot, but Stanley simply doesn't kick enough goals. What can be lost if we changed from Longer being 80% ruck and Stanley 20% (a guess) to Longer 60% and Stanley 40%.

If Longer does show some signs, it won't be a bad thing.

It's a subtle tweak, but might open doors.

Either way we lose the game so you are right we actually lose nothing in that regard. However i think we need to look at long term options. Not sure what they are but im doubting its Longer forward. Worse still im doubting its Stanley forward which means a waste of 5 years teaching him.

spert
Saintsational Legend

One thing we need is for the midfield to kick more goals, rather than kick sideways or look for a covered Roo to kick to. Too many players are getting to 60 metres from goal and automatically look for Roo instead of backing their judgement and going all the way to goal. I don't don't see any forward structure and no-one seems to know where they should be standing from what I saw against the Suns. Richo needs to play Roo deep and instruct those up the ground to kick deep to contests...or even goal!
Siposs is hanging back and not leading, and as matter of fact our forwards all lead backwards generally, rather than up to the ball carrier coming down the ground, just too much confusion, and Richo needs to do a lot of homework and get it sorted.

noob
Club Player

I think plugger made it pretty clear.. You can put Longer as a forward and he might do better than Stanley but defensively it would be like playing 1 short on the field. He might kick 2 but the non-existent defensive pressure might allow the opposition teams to score 3.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

spert wrote:One thing we need is for the midfield to kick more goals, rather than kick sideways or look for a covered Roo to kick to. Too many players are getting to 60 metres from goal and automatically look for Roo instead of backing their judgement and going all the way to goal.
I agree that the midfielders need to get involved more. And though I think we still need to keep looking at potentially drafting another key forward - even though we've already got White, Stanley, and Lee on the list - I don't see our lack of scoring at the minute being down to not having enough goalkicking forwards.

We got smashed in the midfield again on the weekend when the game was there to be won. Though the clearances were fairly even by the end of the game, the Suns got so much more value from theirs because they were able to often break the lines, attack and go forward with precision. Our midfield just looked so much more pedestrian.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Agreed reliable Goal Kickers need only apply!

Is there any interested in coming to the Saints?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
spert
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:
spert wrote:One thing we need is for the midfield to kick more goals, rather than kick sideways or look for a covered Roo to kick to. Too many players are getting to 60 metres from goal and automatically look for Roo instead of backing their judgement and going all the way to goal.
I agree that the midfielders need to get involved more. And though I think we still need to keep looking at potentially drafting another key forward - even though we've already got White, Stanley, and Lee on the list - I don't see our lack of scoring at the minute being down to not having enough goalkicking forwards.

We got smashed in the midfield again on the weekend when the game was there to be won. Though the clearances were fairly even by the end of the game, the Suns got so much more value from theirs because they were able to often break the lines, attack and go forward with precision. Our midfield just looked so much more pedestrian.
I noticed in the game against the Suns, that their midfield generally kicked it long to the FF line, usually to a team mate who was in front or leading and clear of his Saints opponent- sort of basic football. In contrast when the ball was coming to our forward line, the delivery was generally to a covered player, as no Saint forward made enough effort to lead into space to give an option.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

seriously, i can't believe the state of things atm.... Milne leaves bang we can't kick goals bar Roo and a first year player in Jack B.... why did we make Milne retire again?

we have to start playing more mobile guys up forward... Terry decent start last weekend. also GIVE Dunny a shot up forward... but more to that delivery has been another real issue.. i think GWS and Doper games where the only real times this year we looked attacking and forward threatening. Lions game also good patches in 2nd half...

i dont have the fix but for sure we need a few more decent picks and pick ups.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

spert wrote:
QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:

I noticed in the game against the Suns, that their midfield generally kicked it long to the FF line, usually to a team mate who was in front or leading and clear of his Saints opponent- sort of basic football. In contrast when the ball was coming to our forward line, the delivery was generally to a covered player, as no Saint forward made enough effort to lead into space to give an option.
exactly... how annoying was it... seriously why isn't Stanley just parked in the goal square and leading hard out once we get control in the mid field... his in action really frustrated me on sunday.. just watching him mope around.. he has speed 'use it man'. i was yelling at him.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I've got a radical, novel idea. Why not put a forward - or at least a potential forward - in the goalsquare.

Siposs maybe, Lee if he can kick some goals in the VFL. But not Stanley, who is not a forward's bootlace and never will be.

Maybe give Stanley more time in the ruck. He might actually pick up some possessions around the ground to compliment Longer's tap outs.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

He got in the square and was all by himself 10 meters out on sunday and no one would kick it to him. He was jumping around like a gorilla trying to get attention.
He never presents a lead, and he never runs into space within 50 metres of goal. He just isn't a forward. I'm sorry, but we need to face facts.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Saint wagga
Club Player

Has to be Tommy Lee in the 2nd half of the season. If he doesn't come straight in after the bye I will be absolutely flabbergasted! I'm almost convnced that they've said to him, play the first half in the 2's, get your fitness up and he's done that, has played every game, no injury, no recurrence of shoulder issues...He's played varying roles at Sandy. Surely he comes in, was clearly our second best scorer in the back half of last year...If he's seen as the future, I just cannot come up with a reason why he would not get at least the whole or most of the 2nd half of the season in the 1's to continue his development. If not, WHAT DID THEY TRADE SO HARD FOR HIM FOR!! HE"S NOT 19, HE"S ALREADY 23...NEEDS TO BE PLAYING OR DELISTED AT SEASONS END...rant over, apologies.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:Has to be Tommy Lee in the 2nd half of the season. If he doesn't come straight in after the bye I will be absolutely flabbergasted!
Wouldn't he first need to show some form and kick some goals in the VFL?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:Has to be Tommy Lee in the 2nd half of the season. If he doesn't come straight in after the bye I will be absolutely flabbergasted!
He's kicked 9 goals playing as a ruck/fwd… sounds like they are pretty happy with how he is going.

Siposs has 6 goals in the VFL, why are we seeing him in the 1's instead?

Saint wagga
Club Player

dragit wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
He's kicked 9 goals playing as a ruck/fwd… sounds like they are pretty happy with how he is going.

Siposs has 6 goals in the VFL, why are we seeing him in the 1's instead?
In an ideal world, every player who gets promoted from the vfl is coming off a couple weeks of top form...the truth is, it's not always the way, for various reasons probably...if a player has a bit of proven form at AFL level, which i believe Tommy Lee does (look at his stats for the back half of last year), he's played a slightly different role at Sandy (It's not a straight up reserves team and have some of there own goals and needs), clearly not fit after injury interupted pre season...but he seems to have toiled away, not dropped his bundle...again if he doesn't get an excellent crack for at least most of the 2nd half of the season, it sends a wierd message about his recruiting, because despite Watters taking some heat for the Maister and TDL recruiting, it looks as though Pelchen played a big role in his and Tom Hickeys trades...I get that they wanted to protect his body and confidence by making sure he's fit before playing at AFL level, but half a season come on...we're rebuilding, he was an expensive trade...and my biggest point is...he's not 19, he's 4-5 years closer to his prime, and 4-5 years closer to being passed it...the clock is ticking

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:He's kicked 9 goals playing as a ruck/fwd… sounds like they are pretty happy with how he is going.
I've been following the VFL reports every week. He's hardly been getting rave reviews. Let's face it, if he was showing any real form he'd be picked.

BTW Siposs was chosen a fortnight ago on the back of a BOG.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
dragit wrote:He's kicked 9 goals playing as a ruck/fwd… sounds like they are pretty happy with how he is going.
I've been following the VFL reports every week. He's hardly been getting rave reviews. Let's face it, if he was showing any real form he'd be picked
Siposs had one game in the best and was picked, so a string of good games is not necessarily the only way to break into the side.

Maybe they are building fitness into Lee after injury before subjecting him to the rigours of AFL… they do have development plans for some of these guys. Thunda says they are really happy with how Lee is going & he follows the zebs pretty closely.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Maybe they are building fitness into Lee after injury before subjecting him to the rigours of AFL… they do have development plans for some of these guys. Thunda says they are really happy with how Lee is going & he follows the zebs pretty closely.
Well I'm sure if his form warrants it he'll be chosen. But no sooner than that.

philtee
Club Player

Fully agree with intent of OP, but don't omit Adam Schneider -
Career 204 games, 246 goals.
Saints 106 games, 145 goals.