Comparing Players.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Comparing Players.

Pretty common practice by most out there when asked how a player plays is to compare him to another established or past player. Nothing wrong with this of course unless you get someone that thinks you rate them in the same way. Good example is the Spencer White comparison to Buddy. For what its worth Spencer moves and does a lot of things like Buddy but obviously he is nowhere as good. Surely there is nothing wrong with this practice if its taken into context.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Re: Comparing Players.

I think Spencer was compared to Buddy for just that one bit of play and it was a great goal but he has a long way to go to just become Spencer White AFL footballer let's hope he gets there!

PADDLEPOP1000
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

He was compared to Buddy before anyone drafted him.

The goal just cemented this theory.

I've seem him once this year and he was 5 times more dominate than Lee.

Obviously was returning from injury too, but I think he'll still be the player people think he will be.

He can tack contested marks and is a target forward.

Let's not forget Lance played in the VFL for some time too. He went up and down a number of times during his first couple of years.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:He was compared to Buddy before anyone drafted him.

Obviously was returning from injury too, but I think he'll still be the player people think he will be.

Let's not forget Lance played in the VFL for some time too. He went up and down a number of times during his first couple of years.
I know blokes have to earn promotion however I hope Spence gets some time in the Sandy seniors soon.

The scores from the Development Squad so far suggest they're not a very competitive unit and I can't see someone such as White benefitting too much from constantly playing at that level. Probably makes it pretty hard for a key forward to really put your hand up if the team is just being dominated by the opposition.

I of course make the above comments without actually seeing the Development Squad and Spencer White in action.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I hope you are right Spinner but playing in the seconds at sandy isnt a good look. They would struggle to beat a top C grade amatuer side. He should be killing them in that grade of footy. And I think Buddy has only played 2 reserves games. remember that is still a grade above what White is playing now. I have a feeling White could be the new Walsh/ I really want to be wrong. We need a tall marking forward and lee certainly isnt that type.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Alright then let's do it.
Nathan Wright / Andrew McLeod
Billings / Nathan Brown (bulldogs,Richmond)

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I hope you are right Spinner but playing in the seconds at sandy isnt a good look. They would struggle to beat a top C grade amatuer side. He should be killing them in that grade of footy. And I think Buddy has only played 2 reserves games. remember that is still a grade above what White is playing now. I have a feeling White could be the new Walsh/ I really want to be wrong. We need a tall marking forward and lee certainly isnt that type.

You could be right about LF actually...

White has shown more at least in the VFL than Walsh I reckon anyways...

noob
Club Player

I see a bit of Farren Ray in Blake Acres

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Actually you would hate to be a marking forward in a crap side. You are stuck waiting for poor delivery and hoping you can turn it into a goal.It's actually easier to play KF in a better team IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Actually you would hate to be a marking forward in a crap side. You are stuck waiting for poor delivery and hoping you can turn it into a goal.It's actually easier to play KF in a better team IMO.
If you are a class above you should dominate in a good or crap side. I have been involved in many crap sides in my time and if the best player is a KPP they still seem to dominate.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are you sure C Grade Ammos compares well to VFL listed player

Having played Ammos (A &. B) and three other suburban leagues

Most guys whom I've played against that have played VFL are dominant at local ammo level

C Grade Ammos players, not too many of those get invited down to train at Sandy and the like... It's an average standard

Chris Irving, Ricky Ferraro, Peter Mercoulia, Shane McDonald, Scott Gowers, Tim Mavric, Dylan Jones, Nick Scanlon, Jay Bruno, Kirby McConnen

Mostly played VFL reserves
Best players in theirs clubs and in in their comps

Players who are in the VFL twos

Kids out of TAC cup who didn't get drafted trying to get a gig in the VFL for a second crack

Players killing it at suburban an invited down for a crack

saint6709
Club Player

I am led to believe that Buddy didn't do much at Hawthorn until he was 21 - White at 19 has until end2016 until anyone needs to panic

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Are you sure C Grade Ammos compares well to VFL listed player

Having played Ammos (A &. B) and three other suburban leagues

Most guys whom I've played against that have played VFL are dominant at local ammo level

C Grade Ammos players, not too many of those get invited down to train at Sandy and the like... It's an average standard

Chris Irving, Ricky Ferraro, Peter Mercoulia, Shane McDonald, Scott Gowers, Tim Mavric, Dylan Jones, Nick Scanlon, Jay Bruno, Kirby McConnen

Mostly played VFL reserves
Best players in theirs clubs and in in their comps

Players who are in the VFL twos

Kids out of TAC cup who didn't get drafted trying to get a gig in the VFL for a second crack

Players killing it at suburban an invited down for a crack

Well we have 2 players from our club at sandy seconds and they go as well at sandy as they do when they play for us and we are middle to bottom C grade side. There is also 2 guys from St Pauls who play in the seconds and firsts at that club and can get a game in sandy seconds. Peter Mercoulia and Jay Bruno both played at St peters and whilst good werent the best players there and they have both played sandy firsts as has nearly every player you mentioned. St Pauls would be about the top of C grade. Hampton would probably beat them i reckon. i have no idea why you mentioned where you have played unless of course it was in the last few years because the seconds at VFL level has dropped heaps. Of course i am basing my opinion on now where as you are basing it on not much at all. By the way we were in d grade last year and one guy was a walk up and played the first 4 games last year and then quit because he trained 3 nights a week for what he decribed as footy not better than with ormond. But hey what would he know. By the way tell us about Peter Mercoulia. you seem to know a bit about him. While you are at it tell us about tom cameron, Jessie Plostins and Jarryd blenkinsop.

StNoodles
Club Player

Buddy played 20 games in his first season...

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

StNoodles wrote:Buddy played 20 games in his first season...

Yeah looked it up.

Must have been his second season when he might have come though the VFL maybe cos of injury?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

1 name the players

2 basing my opinion on knowing of players, and conversations with them
You're basing your opinion on assumption

C grade Ammos is the third level of a suburban comp
4 levels below VFL

How would an Old Xavs go against Sandringham
How would Ormond go against Old Xavs

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ffs :roll:
another thread where it ends up with you two again
one of you put someone on ignore
unfreakinreal

Middo
Club Player

Pair of <edited by mods> who can't help themselves ..I'm better than you type of shite that nobody cares about...<edited by mods> it's getting tired ..

<poster warned for swearing>

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Saints94
SS Life Member

Middo wrote:Pair of <edited by mods> who can't help themselves ..I'm better than you type of shite that nobody cares about...<edited by mods> it's getting tired ..
Bigfooty is the place to be with <edited by mods> like P66. nothing but oxygen thieves.

<poster warned for baiting>

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
Middo wrote:Pair of Knobjockeys who can't help themselves ..I'm better than you type of shite that nobody cares about...FFS it's getting tired ..
Bigfooty is the place to be with knobs like P66. nothing but oxygen thieves.

Dont know about that, the St.Kilda board doesn't tolerate ongoing fueds

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saints94
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
Saints94 wrote:
Middo wrote:Pair of Knobjockeys who can't help themselves ..I'm better than you type of shite that nobody cares about...FFS it's getting tired ..
Bigfooty is the place to be with knobs like P66. nothing but oxygen thieves.

Well all I can say is this place is worse off with ongoing fueds, its ruined Saintsational IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Saints94 wrote:Bigfooty is the place to be with knobs like P66. nothing but oxygen thieves.

Well all I can say is this place is worse off with ongoing fueds, its ruined Saintsational IMO.

Hello homework. How are you today? You seem very smart these days but just a tip I am one person so its thief not thieves unless of course you meant 2 people. And by the way my first post on this topic was totally on topic. Someone didnt klike a comment on it and wrote something. Surely i have a right to answer what he said especially when it didnt make much sense. There is one solution to this though homework. Put me on ignore. many have and im sure they feel better for it. As you can see I chose not to respond a second time to the other guy so i dont see how Im the bad guy. I can live with it though.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Hahaha you bring out the same OLD lines plugger. how sad. the homework stuff is longgggg gone buddy. people evolve mate that's life. PUT IT THIS WAY you need your 2 cents in EVERYTHING, talk about obsessive! you really think we want/need to see you and BM arguing EVERYDAY? smell the roses Plugger not everything is about you. Go Saints.

Saints94
SS Life Member

You also don't need to reply to everything mate, why don't you ignore what is said for once? & thanks for calling me smart Plugger :wink: like I said people evolve & mature over time if you didn't know already.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:Hahaha you bring out the same OLD lines plugger. how sad. the homework stuff is longgggg gone buddy. people evolve mate that's life. PUT IT THIS WAY you need your 2 cents in EVERYTHING, talk about obsessive! you really think we want/need to see you and BM arguing EVERYDAY? smell the roses Plugger not everything is about you. Go Saints.

Homework you didnt read the thread. I will add you to the list. I made a comment about White after Spinner said something. Totally on subject. it was then taken off subject by BM and then i answered back. he then said something else and I did not reply. Get it. And yes i do have my 2 cents worth in stuff i find interesting to comment on. Until they make a rule you cant do that I will continue to do it. Like I said put me on ignore and then you wont read it.

Now back on topic. I think you remind me of maths.

<Poster warned for baiting for the first and last line - this is a third warning for baiting within a week (actually 2 days) and results in a 1 month ban>