Watters & Pelchen era.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

Watters & Pelchen era.

I've read a lot of negative thoughts on this forum about these two and the direction that they are taking the club.
Things like Watters is a terrible coach and Pelchen wants too much power.
Personally I think they are going to lead us to the promise land faster than we think.
This year was a complete write of, but I think Watters knew that from the beginning. As much as he said at the start of the season that he wanted one last push and everything, at then end of the day, if we went for one last push it would have only delayed us further.
All those young guys that played this year will be so much better for it next year.
And i have no doubt that the trades & draft picks that we get this year will also be successful.

Together with Pelchen, Watters has actively looked at the list, found holes and is out to fix them.
The way we packaged picks in the trades for Hickey and Tom Lee was excellent and I expect to see more of that this year.
Pelchen is ruthless, yet he thinks outside the box.

I think the strong drive on culture right now is another thing to point out.
It's a stance that needed to be made and Watters is making it.
We will be playing serious finals footy again before Roo finishes, I strongly believe that!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters & Pelchen era.

Let's face it; only one group of people in 140 years have succeeded so far.

So I'm prepared to let these blokes do what they need to do, even if at times some of it may seem strange (at best) or even unpalatable (at worst).

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Let's face it; only one group of people in 140 years have succeeded so far.

So I'm prepared to let these blokes do what they need to do, even if at times some of it may seem strange (at best) or even unpalatable (at worst).
We can get all those "whatever it takes " guys from essendon :lol:

In red white and black from 73
stinger
Saintsational Legend

a couple of posts from "insiders" though is a real worry.... :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:a couple of posts from "insiders" though is a real worry.... :cry:
Not really, there could be pretty decent reasons for Pelchen to be consistently away from the club… like meeting potential players and staff. He doesn't have to be at Seaford to be working.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's too early to tell yet - the results are a way off, but I liked the "process/people" that appointed Watters. He seems well suited to a development role. Experience helps a lot, so when finals do come, he should be right on top of things.

Pelchen came with a good reputation and so far, so good, but I wonder what the reasoning was for him to leave a successful club like Hawthorn?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

He left after being approached by St Kilda which was soon after Yabby Jeans had asked him to "look after my Saints".

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I reckon most of us will concede next year will be another development year ie bottom 3 finish. Some of us may accept the year after that as well. But in2016 we need to show real improvement and be knocking on the door of 8 otherwise heads will start to roll.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Thanks for the insight Animal Enclosure. Sounds about right.
He left after being approached by St Kilda which was soon after Yabby Jeans had asked him to "look after my Saints"

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote: This year was a complete write of, but I think Watters knew that from the beginning. As much as he said at the start of the season that he wanted one last push and everything, at then end of the day, if we went for one last push it would have only delayed us further.
!
I just can't understand this part. He said we were revving up for one last push yet he really knew we were rebuilding? I mean come on!
That's st kilda rose coloured glasses!!

#1 Ryder fan
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:I reckon most of us will concede next year will be another development year ie bottom 3 finish. Some of us may accept the year after that as well. But in2016 we need to show real improvement and be knocking on the door of 8 otherwise heads will start to roll.

I think thats fair. I expect to see some improvement in 2015 and then real improvement in 2016.

What I dont think fair is the people who think Watters and Pelchen are to blame for finishing 3rd last and if we had a better coach then all our 09/10 players were going to flick some switch, jump ina time machine and be the same as they were 4 years ago. It is pure fantasy. Our list is completely hollow in the middle after we went 6 or 7 years without developing any players.
Thats the reality these guys inherited and its a 4 year job to fix it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Ultimately they will be judged on their results. Unlike in other pursuits where bulls*** may rule, in football there is no hiding from the win/loss ratio.

So I reckon they've got a couple of seasons to show they are the right men to turn the ship around.

If the trajectory isn't exciting and upwards by the end of 2015, they will be in trouble.

I don't neccesarily agree with some of the decisions they've made or are making - I'll be upset if Dal Santo finishes his career at another club for example - but they are the men in there to make it happen.

So we've got to back them.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 16 Sep 2013 4:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Zed wrote:I reckon most of us will concede next year will be another development year ie bottom 3 finish. Some of us may accept the year after that as well. But in2016 we need to show real improvement and be knocking on the door of 8 otherwise heads will start to roll.

I think thats fair. I expect to see some improvement in 2015 and then real improvement in 2016.

What I dont think fair is the people who think Watters and Pelchen are to blame for finishing 3rd last and if we had a better coach then all our 09/10 players were going to flick some switch, jump ina time machine and be the same as they were 4 years ago. It is pure fantasy. Our list is completely hollow in the middle after we went 6 or 7 years without developing any players.
Thats the reality these guys inherited and its a 4 year job to fix it.
Agree Con, Watters and Pelchen inherited a list with the issues we all know about, so I am prepared to give them time to build a team and it will take at least until 2015. I don't like waiting but we have to be patient. We do need to be showing improvement by 2016, which won't be easy as we will also be replacing Roo, Joey and others by then.

I love this club
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

MC Gusto wrote:
saintjake wrote: This year was a complete write of, but I think Watters knew that from the beginning. As much as he said at the start of the season that he wanted one last push and everything, at then end of the day, if we went for one last push it would have only delayed us further.
!
I just can't understand this part. He said we were revving up for one last push yet he really knew we were rebuilding? I mean come on!
I reckon he thought they had one more tilt left, then when the campaign started it was obvious it was beyond them and he pulled the pin and went into full rebuild mode. Either that or he was helping the marketing dept sell memberships for as long as he could get away with it.........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Apparently Jeff Kennett made life unbearable for Pelchen before he left. Jeff promised no hawthorn Premiership player would be sacked and Pelchen went about an immediate rebuild. Then he saw fit to let Kennedy go from the club and become a star at sydney.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

True Believer wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:
!
I reckon he thought they had one more tilt left, then when the campaign started it was obvious it was beyond them and he pulled the pin and went into full rebuild mode. Either that or he was helping the marketing dept sell memberships for as long as he could get away with it.........
+1

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Kickit
Club Player

gringo wrote:Apparently Jeff Kennett made life unbearable for Pelchen before he left. Jeff promised no hawthorn Premiership player would be sacked and Pelchen went about an immediate rebuild. Then he saw fit to let Kennedy go from the club and become a star at sydney.
What was the go with Kennedy? The limited footy he'd played at the Hawks showed plenty of potential, probably some better games than the likes of Ross has had with us.
5 of his 10 games at Hawthorn had more than 10 contested possessions.
I hope Pelch doesn't try the same sort of silly with us.

older saint
SS Life Member

Kennedy at the time was behind in no order Mitchell, Sewell, Brown, Hodge, Vandenberg, Bateman, Bourgouyne, Crawford, lots of other in and under mids. Sydney made an offer to play and with the extra cap Haw let him go to keep others. They won in 08 and if they win in 2 weeks time hard to ague with the decisions

dragit
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Kennedy at the time was behind in no order Mitchell, Sewell, Brown, Hodge, Vandenberg, Bateman, Bourgouyne, Crawford, lots of other in and under mids. Sydney made an offer to play and with the extra cap Haw let him go to keep others. They won in 08 and if they win in 2 weeks time hard to ague with the decisions
Vandenburg & Crawford had left years before Kennedy went…

Kennedy only played 13 games for Hawthorn and asked to be traded to get more opportunity. Of course the Sydney 'cost of living' salary cap makes it possible to entice players with cash too… pity that bread is just so darn expensive up there or they would be able to land more talent, poor sods.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
older saint wrote:Kennedy at the time was behind in no order Mitchell, Sewell, Brown, Hodge, Vandenberg, Bateman, Bourgouyne, Crawford, lots of other in and under mids. Sydney made an offer to play and with the extra cap Haw let him go to keep others. They won in 08 and if they win in 2 weeks time hard to ague with the decisions
Vandenburg & Crawford had left years before Kennedy went…

Kennedy only played 13 games for Hawthorn and asked to be traded to get more opportunity. Of course the Sydney 'cost of living' salary cap makes it possible to entice players with cash too… pity that bread is just so darn expensive up there or they would be able to land more talent, poor sods.
Why someone on 500K needs a living allowance is beyond me.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Still don't know pelchens role

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Still don't know pelchens role
Mitch Thorp's guardian angel.

Watch this space.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Management, surely? Look at the staff list. I reckon Pelchen's direct reports are:

Scott Watters - Head Coach
Ameet Bains - General Manager Player List and Legal Affairs
Tony Brown - Player Welfare Manager
Bill Davoren - High Performance Manager
Simon Kearney - Sports Science Manager
Tony Elshaug - Recruiting Manager
Peter Maddern - Logistics Manager

Someone has to bring together those elements and report in to the CEO/COO every day. I reckon Pelchen is that guy.

K, it's obvious you don't like the guy for some reason. But there are 36 people in the footy department at St Kilda, not including the players. The only way to manage that is for someone to have lots of meetings on a weekly basis with various parts of it. Unless you want Watters spending all his time talking to various elements of the footy department and none of his time actually coaching, Pelchen's role is very necessary.

BelfastSaint
Club Player

duckduckduckgoose wrote:
Mitch Thorp's guardian angel.

Watch this space.
Is he another one to add to the list ...
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/f ... 6684649930

On the Ball
Club Player

saintjake wrote:This year was a complete write of, but I think Watters knew that from the beginning.
Pity that wasnt the line he preached to the senior players at the start of the season. Watters didnt know if he was coming or going for the first five or so weeks this season. Then he decided that yes we were rebuilding / in transition / restructuring. A perfect way to get the senior players off side. Not sure how he and Pelchen will get us to the promised land faster than we think when they are both a million miles apart and heading in opposite directions. The physio that had been there 6 or so years walked out yesterday and went straight to the Bulldogs. He didnt want to put up with the internal politics and crap any more. I say get ri d of them both and get some decent STKFC people down there.