Delistings???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainters4eva
Club Player

Delistings???

When are our first lot going to happen as it's been two weeks since our season ended? I would have thought there would some straightforward ones but it must be more complex than we thought.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Delistings???

sainters4eva wrote:When are our first lot going to happen as it's been two weeks since our season ended? I would have thought there would some straightforward ones but it must be more complex than we thought.

We have three blokes retire and Saad look's to be in trouble. I'd take a guess that they are either keen to keep the rest or other club's have taken a interest in a few they can use to trade.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
footynut
Club Player

Wouldn't it be smarter to wait until after trade period?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Good post. Agree completely. AFAIK it's only the 3 retirements so far. I was hoping for more blood letting by now.

IMO we need to turn over a minimum of 7 from our senior list

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

there is no real need to rush the delistings - i think we will be very active in trade week so i would guess some decisions will be made on who we delist based on who we get from the trades... we dont really have any stand out "must delists" at the moment so the slow and steady is the best option

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Maybe waiting for the outcome of Saad's hearing?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Good post. Agree completely. AFAIK it's only the 3 retirements so far. I was hoping for more blood letting by now.

Just pluck a number?

Why 7? Why not 6, or 10, why not three or 13.

We have three retirements

Two possible trades.

All you need to two more.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Stian
Club Player

The Saintsational Man wrote:Maybe waiting for the outcome of Saad's hearing?
Does anybody know when that is likely to be? Or does anybody have any gossip on the likely length of the suepension (2 years was the expected result based on the similar case in the VFL that was appealed by ASADA but I have heard that ASADA might accept 6 months in this case).

Bono
Club Player

Greg Hutchinson.

luc1966
Club Player

Hutch quit?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Good post. Agree completely. AFAIK it's only the 3 retirements so far. I was hoping for more blood letting by now.

Just pluck a number?

Why 7? Why not 6, or 10, why not three or 13.

We have three retirements

Two possible trades.

All you need to two more.
It is just a number, but around the mark from where we are at. Less than the big culls of the last two seasons but a bit more than the window phase.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
On the Ball
Club Player

Hutch pushed. This arvo. Trust me.

Batnoe
Club Player

Not sure why clubs should wait until trade.

We all know you need to delete at least 3 players from your list every year to allow for 3 new ones coming in from
Draft.

If for example we traded out jones, staley, saad etc for 3 players then we would still have to delete 3 players.

So, if for example you can trade a delisted player, doesn't it make it worthwhile delisting them
Before the draft as you would still have to come up with another delisting

Ie trade TDL for Bruce. Although I think TDL will be delisted then we would have to potentially delist another player that may not be one that we had planned to get rid of because we still need minimum 3 draft picks

Carn Saints
falka
Club Player

It is obvious why we wait.

Lets say we have unexpected interest in a few of our players eg Fisher (unexpected due to age)

We trade him out for a draft pick, we then may keep a player we were thinking of delisting

Also, what if we dont land a key back, we may persist with Lever and Staley, where if we land 2, they will be de-listed.

If no real interest in Dal, we keep and delist someone else.

What's the hurry?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

we didn't hurry last year

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Really want Ledge to stay on

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:We all know you need to delete at least 3 players from your list every year to allow for 3 new ones coming in from Draft.

If for example we traded out jones, staley, saad etc for 3 players then we would still have to delete 3 players.
Nah, we've had three retirements. We don't need to make any other moves if we don't want to.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Outs:
So ok Milne Kosi the Blake and Saad.

Thats 4 outs.

Ins:

I think Curren comes on to the list - then probably two trades and probably we will probably draft 4. So thats 7 ins.

Means 3 have to drop off (or be traded)

Any ideas?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Outs:

Thats 4 outs.

Ins:

I think Curren comes on to the list - then probably two trades and probably we will probably draft 4. So thats 7 ins.

Any ideas?
When was Saad deleted?

Kickit
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:Not sure why clubs should wait until trade.

We all know you need to delete at least 3 players from your list every year to allow for 3 new ones coming in from
Draft.

So, if for example you can trade a delisted player, doesn't it make it worthwhile delisting them
Before the draft as you would still have to come up with another delisting

Ie trade TDL for Bruce. Although I think TDL will be delisted then we would have to potentially delist another player that may not be one that we had planned to get rid of because we still need minimum 3 draft picks
Simple model.
Say we trade Jones and our 4th rounder for a 3rd rounder?
To me this is EXACTLY the kind of trade Pelchen will be pushing for.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Outs:

Thats 4 outs.

Ins:

Any ideas?

Ferg is probably gone, Simpkin had a shocking year and would be in trouble, Staley and Shenton would be nervous, Lever may be too. Wilkes, Milera and TDL would usually but think all are contract extended or still have a year to run. Jones is still uncontracted.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

You do realize Gringo that 3 of the first 4 you mention are rookies and will have no bearing on the draft selections?
I agree that they should be moved on now, as they have all had 2 or 3 years, and it is two years since we have done anything with our rookie list.

Kickit
Club Player

Poor Ferg, retiring from AFL with a negative dreamteam total.

Lever is unlikely to play AFL next season, so IMO its rookie list or nothing.
Shenton I think is out.
Milera is contracted I'm not sure about Trent Dennis Lane.

I'm not that keen on delisting players like Lever, Simpkin, and Staley because they could still turn into something moving forward.
I think a better approach would be to try to trade senior players for draft pick upgrades.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

TDL as much as he should go as it was a very poor trade, I imagine he would have been given a 2-3 year contract to cross the SAINTS. If he is to stay he needs to put on 5-8 kilos of muscle over the season. If he becomes a lot stronger he may be able to hold his own in one on one contests more often, as he is not quick enough to be a complete outside player.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:TDL as much as he should go as it was a very poor trade, I imagine he would have been given a 2-3 year contract to cross the SAINTS. If he is to stay he needs to put on 5-8 kilos of muscle over the season. If he becomes a lot stronger he may be able to hold his own in one on one contests more often, as he is not quick enough to be a complete outside player.
He's 25 YO with 4 years in the system so I don't think he will be able to bulk up a lot from here…