Draft Pick Upgrade.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter93
Club Player

Draft Pick Upgrade.

Plenty of talk has gone around in the last few days about the Bulldogs upgrading from pick 3 (if they finish 16th) to the No.1 draft pick with GWS.
I was thinking, why not St Kilda attempt to work out something? Trade pick 4-6 for the No.1 pick.

Of course we would have to provide more than just that pick, thoughts on certain deals St Kilda might be able to make?

Richter
SS Life Member

Re: Draft Pick Upgrade.

Don't think we need to. Reason why Bulldogs, Carlton might consider it is to get their hands
On Tom Boyd. Whilst I would snap him up if he dropped to our pick a gun CHF is not necessarily a priority for us this year. We are likely to have further chances to grab one next year or the year after that. Mids are our most needed type of player.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
defacto
Club Player

Sainter93 wrote:Plenty of talk has gone around in the last few days about the Bulldogs upgrading from pick 3 (if they finish 16th) to the No.1 draft pick with GWS.
I was thinking, why not St Kilda attempt to work out something? Trade pick 4-6 for the No.1 pick.

Of course we would have to provide more than just that pick, thoughts on certain deals St Kilda might be able to make?
easier said than done. after convincing GWS to make the trade (which will be hard) we would have to convince the player to move to GWS

players arent interested in moving to GWS, hence the lack of signings

i reckon the pies will get their hands on pick 1

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I have no idea what people want in exchange for picks.

the question is who would they ask for.

Dempster? Ray? Gilbert? Or anyone younger.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

top draft pick plus kosi , blake and jones

In red white and black from 73
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah that'll get lapped up by other clubs

(friendly dig)

would help us tho 8-)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Hawthorn should have upgraded Buddy for a higher pick

WC perhaps with Judd

Richmond could have upgraded for Kruzer, so they didn't have to put up with Cotchin

noob
Club Player

Joel Selwood got drafted at pick 7? So no need to upgrade if they pick the best available

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Don't understand why Boyd would not be our priority? We don't have a gun CHF unless I'm mistaken?!

#1 Ryder fan
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Don't understand why Boyd would not be our priority? We don't have a gun CHF unless I'm mistaken?!
We dont have any gun midfielders either

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Maybe Hawthorn should have upgraded Buddy for a higher pick

WC perhaps with Judd

Richmond could have upgraded for Kruzer, so they didn't have to put up with Cotchin

But if it was the year 2000 it would have been a master stroke.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

MC Gusto wrote:Don't understand why Boyd would not be our priority? We don't have a gun CHF unless I'm mistaken?!
I'm with you. Could build a team around Boyd. (If he's good as what we hear)

We should be looking long term.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

WC perhaps with Judd

By that logic we should trade down to pick 79, so we can get a James Hird. Or pick 55, so we can get a Sam Fisher. Or even number 105 so we can find another Chris Grant.

Sainter93
Club Player

Every year there is players that are missed and turn out to be superstars. But if we upgrade to pick 1 we would have the best chance of grabbing that superstar. It doesn't have to be Tom Boyd

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

WC perhaps with Judd

By that logic we should trade down to pick 79, so we can get a James Hird. Or pick 55, so we can get a Sam Fisher. Or even number 105 so we can find another Chris Grant.
Can we trade our national draft pick for rookie picks?

We might just land another Milne, Cox or MItchell.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
bergholt wrote:

WC perhaps with Judd

Can we trade our national draft pick for rookie picks?

We might just land another Milne, Cox or MItchell.

Just hope Curren doesn't go somewhere else and become the new Milne, Cox or Mitchell.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ill be very happy if we end up with James Aish (or Dominic Sheed).

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Emma Quayles article from The Age

If Boyd is really up for grabs, who will buy?

At a function on Monday, Matthew Lloyd told a group of teenage footballers how he ended up an Essendon player.

He remembered playing for the Western Jets in 1994, thinking he was too young to be drafted, when the Bombers traded Tony Delaney, Dale Kickett, Todd Ridley and Russell Williams to new club Fremantle for the rights to the best 16-year-old and No.4 pick in the draft.

Last month, Lloyd became an AFL Hall of Famer, after a 270-game, 926-goal career in which he played alongside that No.4 choice, Scott Lucas, for most of the time.
His reflections were interesting, given Greater Western Sydney's insistence this week it is willing to trade away this year's No.1 pick (read: Tom Boyd). Declarations like this can usually be taken with a lump, not a grain, of salt - high picks are worth a lot more than they were 20 years ago. But the Giants are a different case.

They really do need a couple of more mature players on their list: a ruckman and a key backman or two. They really do have one of everything when it comes to young talent. And they're one of just a few clubs that don't really need a strong, young marking forward around which to shape their team of the future.

They have a couple of them already, in Jeremy Cameron and Jonathon Patton. They could well be slotting Lance Franklin in around them next year. But on the flip side, plenty of clubs could desperately do with Boyd.

Is he really up for grabs? Some clubs think there is no way at all. Others think there is a chance, but that it will cost them way too much, and therefore won't happen. Ask the Giants, and clubs weren't anywhere near realistic enough when they offered up players for the rights to Jaeger O'Meara two years ago. Ask the clubs who missed out on O'Meara, and the Giants just wanted more picks. The truth no doubt lies around the middle, but it will be interesting to see if clubs again baulk at the thought of losing an actual, established, very good player (or two), or if they become more bold.

Boyd has an injured ankle, meaning he won't play in today's final round of under-18 games. He is a natural, instinctive forward who can help out in the ruck, but has a bit to learn about playing in defence. He is an excellent mark, he reads the play well, he has all the physical attributes needed to play his position at a higher level and he is a dedicated, purposeful person. There is not another one like him in this year's draft.

What is he worth? The market will determine that. Could the Western Bulldogs, who will have a low pick, swap selections with the Giants and find a player to throw in? Could Carlton do something? Could Hawthorn, should it lose Buddy, find a way to replace him with Boyd? Could Collingwood get involved, to keep its list bubbling along?

Traditionally, there are just two reliable ways to get a star forward: with a high pick, or as a father-son. Someone should take this chance.

SIX TO WATCH

JOSH KELLY (Vic Metro)
Gets the ball. A lot. Reliable, hard working, hard running and skilful. Will play a lot of AFL games.

JAMES AISH (South Australia)
Composed, classy wingman who has already played in a SANFL grand final. Just back from shoulder surgery.

MATT SCHARENBERG (SA)
Put him to use anywhere: forward, back or anywhere else. Reads the play well, and is a competitor.

BEN LENNON (VM)
A natural, footy smart player who has spent most of his time playing as a half-forward but could move into the midfield.

JACK BILLINGS (VM)
Another half-forward: smart and sharp, capable of shaping games.

LEWIS TAYLOR (Vic Country)
One of the most dynamic players in the draft. Small, but keen to make things happen, and kicks with precision.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Me likey sound of Josh Kelly very much. Should go for a Vic dude. Those interstaters always want to go home to mummy.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't there an Aish who played for a SANFL club?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
Or gun KP backs...

We're in strife for a while...

“Yeah….nah””
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
Or gun KP backs...

We're in strife for a while...
We need gun mids like Adams, Parker, Aish, Dunston, Scharenberg (BJ replacement) or Kelly but not with pick 3, a couple of serviceable backs, ie L Thompson and M Brown. Let the fwds we got last year develop and not give the kitchen sink for a FF.

If Hugh Goddard is as good as they say, wait a year for him and who knows, we may not need to trade for pick 1 next year anyway!!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Instead of trying to get the number One draft pick so we can pick up Tom Boyd, try and trade for Jonathon Paton. I know he has done his knee, but he should com back from that alright. He already has two years in the system, and I think he is a Saints supporter.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Wasn't there an Aish who played for a SANFL club?
yes...his dad and his uncle....uncle was the better one....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Instead of trying to get the number One draft pick so we can pick up Tom Boyd, try and trade for Jonathon Paton. I know he has done his knee, but he should com back from that alright. He already has two years in the system, and I think he is a Saints supporter.

Especially if GWS gets Buddy. They also have Cameron. I would definately go for Paton, especially because he has done a knee, may go a bit cheaper because he is a bit more of a risk.

Considering he did his knee early, he should be back for R1 2014, even though he may take a while to hit his straps after his knee

Have absolutely no idea how we would get that done, but would love to get him, and keep our high dps.

Would also love to win tattslotto as well.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)