SAINTS can’t afford to keep WATTERS!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

SAINTS can’t afford to keep WATTERS!

The team had started its decline before WATTERS – Laidley and co took over, but they have done the very best to ADD to our demise. He will not incite one piece of excitement with the playing group or the clubs supporters. I keep repeating it but the guy is a complete dud and he has surrounded himself with fools. Whilst he is in charge of our football club we will not improve!

Our membership numbers have plummeted as has our spirit and attendance at games. Any hope for the immediate future under the current coaching regime is lost! With the ongoing fiscal issues the SAINTS have I don’t believe they can afford bottom out for several years as they will under ‘Papa Smurf’.

I have not seen a St Kilda team play with no clue or interest in countering the opposition since the 1980’s. You can see the spirit drain from the players as soon as Richmond got a roll on. Our players no longer do the simple things well – no one knows what to expect from their team mate apart from kick it down the boundary line. We have no successful systems at all at any level of play or positions on the ground!

They are playing football in 2nd gear and are getting spanked accordingly. The dumb mistakes the players are making is stuff you expect from a country football team – and definitely not an AFL side. Our fitness and injury levels have to be the worst in the AFL as we can’t seem to play 4 quarters at any intensity.

WATTERS one positive move this year was to move Stanley to defence where he was starting to really find his feet. He rotates him forward in one game with some success and then decides to leave him there where his form has gradually disintegrated. He moves him back in the last quarter when the game is shot and guess what he start to find some footy.

Before everyone jumps on and blames Lyon for our current list have a think about who was doing the recruiting or was our list manager at the time. Lyon stuffed the Luke Ball trade but I don’t think we can blame him for the Lovett saga and the litany of poor recruiting decisions made at the time. I believe he could see the Saints had an ordinary recruiting team at that time and attempted the stop gap measures to get the club over the line.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: SAINTS can’t afford to keep WATTERS!

Sad clown says "SACK WATTERS"

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
GRAMophone
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:The team had started its decline before WATTERS – Laidley and co took over, but they have done the very best to ADD to our demise. He will not incite one piece of excitement with the playing group or the clubs supporters. I keep repeating it but the guy is a complete dud and he has surrounded himself with fools. Whilst he is in charge of our football club we will not improve!

Our membership numbers have plummeted as has our spirit and attendance at games. Any hope for the immediate future under the current coaching regime is lost! With the ongoing fiscal issues the SAINTS have I don’t believe they can afford bottom out for several years as they will under ‘Papa Smurf’.

I have not seen a St Kilda team play with no clue or interest in countering the opposition since the 1980’s. You can see the spirit drain from the players as soon as Richmond got a roll on. Our players no longer do the simple things well – no one knows what to expect from their team mate apart from kick it down the boundary line. We have no successful systems at all at any level of play or positions on the ground!

They are playing football in 2nd gear and are getting spanked accordingly. The dumb mistakes the players are making is stuff you expect from a country football team – and definitely not an AFL side. Our fitness and injury levels have to be the worst in the AFL as we can’t seem to play 4 quarters at any intensity.

WATTERS one positive move this year was to move Stanley to defence where he was starting to really find his feet. He rotates him forward in one game with some success and then decides to leave him there where his form has gradually disintegrated. He moves him back in the last quarter when the game is shot and guess what he start to find some footy.

Before everyone jumps on and blames Lyon for our current list have a think about who was doing the recruiting or was our list manager at the time. Lyon stuffed the Luke Ball trade but I don’t think we can blame him for the Lovett saga and the litany of poor recruiting decisions made at the time. I believe he could see the Saints had an ordinary recruiting team at that time and attempted the stop gap measures to get the club over the line.
YOU might be a candidate for the 'Clown's Section' buddy :roll:

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
matrix
Saintsational Legend

should be good this one
i reckon its got legs........

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

We'll see who the CLOWNS are when he gets moved on at the end of the year !
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Sun 30 Jun 2013 8:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Image

Sad clown says "SACK WATTERS"
I feel a new signature pic coming on joff…

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:We'll see who the CLOWNS are when he gets moved on at the end of the year !

sad saints clown says

SACK WATTERS

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

"WinnersOnly? .......WinnersOnly? ......."

sasaint
Club Player

Gotta sympathise with Winnersonly. I do not see much improvement in the team even given the personnel available. Game plan seems to be all over the place. A developing team should be emphasising the basics. How many tackles are sticking? What is the forward structure? Why are there so many holes in the defensive zone? Watters has a really tough gig and so far I think he is struggling. :(

Patience young grasshopper
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

2012: Hayes, Blake, Goddard, Gram, Fisher, Gilbert, Simpkin, Maister
2013: Murdoch, Webster, Ross, Dunell, Wright, Dennis-Lane

It does have a little bit of an impact, don't you think?

At the moment we only have Dal Santo, Montagna, Jones, Armitage, and Steven as our midfield. Other clubs have double that number rotating through. We have no key defenders. We have one key forward.

It all adds up to mediocrity being the best case scenario.

Get used to it. Changing the coach might win us one or two more games over the season, but then again it might not. the thig we really need to face up to is the parlous state of our playing list and this has nothing to do with Scott Watters.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:We'll see who the CLOWNS are when he gets moved on at the end of the year !

sad saints clown says

SACK WATTERS
Joffa once again if someone has a differing opinion to yourself you start with the ridicule - very mature!

Perhaps you could respond with adding how WATTERS has improved the SAINTS game plan, how the players are able to implement the plan and how he is going to lead us out of this trough?

Or perhaps you can enlighten us on how our fitness levels have plummeted from the top echelon to nearly the worst under WATTERS?

How a number of other clubs in the last trade/draft period saw benefit in picking up state league defenders - but our club decided we didn't need them under WATTERS?

How there is no camaraderie between the Sandringham VFL and AFL players at our club which has continued under WATTERS?

How it is when players like JONES are still getting a game when CURREN and LEDGER are rotting in the VFL under WATTERS?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Agreed, what has Watters done well??

He could well be the Tim Watson we need to have?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Oh dear. here we go again. The idiots are bringing the knives out Melbourne style.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

SACK THE COACH SACK THE TEAM SACK EM ALL PANIC PANIC PANIC...

all watters i saw him blowing kicks and hand balls not hitting targets dropping all pressure... yep Watters was all the blame...

Winners Only YOU'RE A TOOL

Fortius Quo Fidelius
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:Oh dear. here we go again. The idiots are bringing the knives out Melbourne style.
Exactly our version of Assistant Coach we inherited from Collingwood is NO better than Melbourne's was! It's just that they were smart enough to recognise it and make the change before any more damage was done....

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

ShanghaiSaint wrote:SACK THE COACH SACK THE TEAM SACK EM ALL PANIC PANIC PANIC...

all watters i saw him blowing kicks and hand balls not hitting targets dropping all pressure... yep Watters was all the blame...

Winners Only YOU'RE A TOOL
I'll take that as a compliment coming for a 'spinner head'.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'm not convinced Watters is the answer but he was OK last year and has struggled this year.

IMO the big challenge is how he deals with 2014. Dependent on that will determine if we keep him beyond next season.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Shortly after his appointment Watters announced that Kosi and Blake were required players. The writing was on the wall way back then...

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
sasaint
Club Player

When you see the transformation that Hinkley has had on a developing team like Port Power you know a coach can make a difference. No one is questioning Hinkley atm because he is delivering on his contract. Why be sensitive to questioning if Watters is delivering? Is it really all the teams fault?

Patience young grasshopper
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Port Adelaide have the second youngest list in the AFL and look at the intensity and effort they a producing for their coach - surely you have to ask yourself WHY aren't St Kilda's?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

This year and next will merely be about finding out who will be on the list in 3 years.

Next year will be worse.

But I'm realistic about it and am going to enjoy the ride.

The coach this year and next is totally irrelevant in my opinion.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Port Adelaide have the second youngest list in the AFL and look at the intensity and effort they a producing for their coach - surely you have to ask yourself WHY aren't St Kilda's?
Who are the better coaches that are available to us now?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Port Adelaide have the second youngest list in the AFL and look at the intensity and effort they a producing for their coach - surely you have to ask yourself WHY aren't St Kilda's?
Probably because we still have so many old players that lack the drive they once had!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

They have top 10 pick for 4 years and have played them now they are good. They got guys like Wines, Wingard, Hartlett and Boak with high picks and they added them to players like Robbie Gray and the Eberts and a core of good experienced players. Not hard to see where the coach can get performance from.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

A team of young kids learning the game, without any looking like top player potential and a few aging stars. I think that we are in for quite a few tough years ahead.

It's not a coaching problem, it's a player development issue more than anything. Sacking the Coach is only worthwhile if he has completely lost the support of his players. We don't need more instability. Perhaps a few Assistant Coaches should be moved on, but I am not there and don't know the day-to-day happenings.