Pattern to our losses

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Pattern to our losses

It seems there is a pretty set pattern to our losses now.
We are usually competitive for 3/4 of a game but there is always a 30 minute period at some stage of a game (start, middle or end) we we get trounced and the other side kicks 6 or 7 unanswered goals. It always involves something like 10-0 in the clearances.

We all know we need an extra clearance player or three (especially with Lenny not in the side ) but it also seems we dont have a strategy to stop the rot.
I have noticed that when this is happeneing our positioning at clearances seems awful. We arent even making a contest and our guys are 5 metres off the ball drop mostly just watching - ok I concede we arent going to win them but if another side gets a run on - can we revert to some defensive structure just to slow them down?

It seems they get the ball and win the clearances very easily without resistance - this puts our back-men under enormous pressure.. The buck stops with Laidley on this score.

noob
Club Player

Re: Pattern to our losses

Whats the stat of winning our last quarter? does anyone know?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I did notice that we played a defensive sweeper at center bounces more often against the weagles and Clint Jones helps to quell oppostn players
but the difference between our no1 setup and no2 is too great.
I would prefer 1 of NDS or montagna, with Armitage & Jones, and 1 kid rotating
if we need to stop the rot, NDS montagna, armo/jones, Ray & Geary on the wings to come in and hit hard

Seeya
spert
Saintsational Legend

From what I can see, Watters goes defensive in the last quarter, and instead of our mids attacking the ball and getting first touch, they are more interested in setting up blocks against the opposition, so as a result, any loose opposition player can get first touch, and away they go. Another worry is that the opposition goal side of the centre bounces is not defended very well, so the ball can spill out easy towards the opposition goal, this a midfield setup issue. I'm surprised Watters hasn't corrected this.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Con Gorozidis wrote:IThe buck stops with Laidley on this score.
Im not sure the Laidley blame is entirely warranted, players do make the setup calls on field
but the trend is we are getting over run (usually in the last)

Seeya
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

more preseasons will help.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

There we go again.

6 unanswered goals. Not a fitness issue because its not always the last quarter .
But every single week we have a quarter where we get killed.
Against north it was the first .
Has to be a coaching issue
He has no plan when the opposition get on top.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Its a disposal decision making issue. Kicking into the forward line is deplorable.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Let me sum it up..crap coaching, undisciplined team with terrible skills, experienced players not going for the hard ball(Jones excepted)

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Most games this year we get slaughtered by the umps !

Is that a pattern ?

14 to 7 at half time .

Are we that poor at tackling ?
Will we get the rub of the green in anymore matches this year ?

In red white and black from 73
lloyd21
Club Player

Listen stop bagging coach

Gwilt's effort tonight has been the dumbest performance I have seen in a long time.
Dempster for a player who has played 150 games playing like a kid who has played 2 not concentrating on the ball flight.
Stanley is playing dumb too. Any one who has played the game knows you start from behind the goal line.
You learn that from under 13
Kosi well all I say thank goodness it is over has been walking around the ground since the start of the game.

Don't blame coach there are least 7 players out there who are wanting the season to end.
Mentally they are shot. Coach knows it will get rid of some by years end.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The coach deserves to be bagged when a team has terrible skills, no discipline and no real desire to win one on one contests and picks a player just because he is due for 200 games. If players play dumb week after week, then that's a coaching issue. I don't reckon they are bleeding for this coach.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So the coach bears no responsibility for the teams performance??

How's the game plan, team structure??

We're woeful

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Listen stop bagging coach

Gwilt's effort tonight has been the dumbest performance I have seen in a long time.
Dempster for a player who has played 150 games playing like a kid who has played 2 not concentrating on the ball flight.
Stanley is playing dumb too. Any one who has played the game knows you start from behind the goal line.
You learn that from under 13
Kosi well all I say thank goodness it is over has been walking around the ground since the start of the game.

Don't blame coach there are least 7 players out there who are wanting the season to end.
Mentally they are shot. Coach knows it will get rid of some by years end.
Yep. Fair calls. Coach may not be perfect but noone could do much better with this list.

lloyd21
Club Player

They did not pick Kosi because to give him 200.

The facts are Lee has been injured Hickey has been injured ( hip) Maister injured White not ready yet

The saints have massive holes in their list .
Tonight Hardwick has a list with round 1. picks for 9 nine years development .Scott has 1.

Structure is meaningless is you turn the ball over the structure was good early then errors more errors from Senior players.
Give Scott 5 quality midfielders Johno Patton See what happenns

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:It seems there is a pretty set pattern to our losses now.
We are usually competitive for 3/4 of a game but there is always a 30 minute period at some stage of a game (start, middle or end) we we get trounced and the other side kicks 6 or 7 unanswered goals. It always involves something like 10-0 in the clearances.

We all know we need an extra clearance player or three (especially with Lenny not in the side ) but it also seems we dont have a strategy to stop the rot.
I have noticed that when this is happeneing our positioning at clearances seems awful. We arent even making a contest and our guys are 5 metres off the ball drop mostly just watching - ok I concede we arent going to win them but if another side gets a run on - can we revert to some defensive structure just to slow them down?

It seems they get the ball and win the clearances very easily without resistance - this puts our back-men under enormous pressure.. The buck stops with Laidley on this score.
It's a really common pattern with young inexperienced teams (how many times has Melbourne been ok for a quarter or two and then they get destroyed). Suddenly its happening too quick - goal, back to the centre, clearance, into the 50, goal again, back to the centre etc. Panic sets in. It's due to a lack of leaders, players who can stand up and say "s*** this could get out of control I need to do something" and then have the ability to do it. Think of Hayes winning a big clearance, Fisher taking a saving mark in the back 50, Gilbert running it out of defence and pumping into our 50, Goddard taking a big mark. All of that is gone. Its really only Roo who can change the momentum of a game and he is human - he can't do it all the time. Being able to at least bottle it up at clearances is a big part of stopping that run on (swans do that brilliantly). But it takes big bodied mids to do that

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

noob wrote:Whats the stat of winning our last quarter? does anyone know?
2-10 for the season.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:Whats the stat of winning our last quarter? does anyone know?

rd 1 gc kicked 7.1 to our 3.3
rd 2 tigers kicked 2.3 to our 1.3
rd 3 gws kicked 2.5 to our 6.2
rd 4 essendon kicked 4.6 to our 4.4
rd 5 sydney kicked 2.0 to our 3.3
rd 6 pies kicked 5.3 to our 3.2
rd 7 blues kicked 5.3 to our 1.3
rd 8 crows kicked 3.3 to our 1.4
rd 9 dogs kicked 6.1 to our 4.2
r10 north kicked 2.5 to our 1.2
r11 eagles kicked 5.3 to our 2.4
bye
r13 melb kicked 3.4 to our 1.2
not sure about last night, but id say its not good

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:It seems there is a pretty set pattern to our losses now.

It's a really common pattern with young inexperienced teams (how many times has Melbourne been ok for a quarter or two and then they get destroyed). Suddenly its happening too quick - goal, back to the centre, clearance, into the 50, goal again, back to the centre etc. Panic sets in. It's due to a lack of leaders, players who can stand up and say "s*** this could get out of control I need to do something" and then have the ability to do it. Think of Hayes winning a big clearance, Fisher taking a saving mark in the back 50, Gilbert running it out of defence and pumping into our 50, Goddard taking a big mark. All of that is gone. Its really only Roo who can change the momentum of a game and he is human - he can't do it all the time. Being able to at least bottle it up at clearances is a big part of stopping that run on (swans do that brilliantly). But it takes big bodied mids to do that

Gwilt, Roberton and Dempster fight above their weight but they are more like tall mids than KPPs. Gwilt standing next to Vickery looks comical in the height difference and the string of frees to them really snuffed our effort when up to that point we were very competitive.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So the coach bears no responsibility for the teams performance??

How's the game plan, team structure??

We're woeful
So explain to me what's wrong with it?
From where I was sitting yesterday on level 2 we set up well, had no hope in defence, and our so called best players fumbled and turned over the ball at will.

What structure should you set for that?