Future Midfield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Future Midfield

Ross, Geary, Steven, Armo, Newnes, Wright, Milera, Dunnell, Saunders

Well done Watters in developing and blooding all of these youngsters in a relatively short time

Nee!
karnak
Club Player

Re: Future Midfield

was a great game to watch that is for sure - alot to be excited about!!!

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Good signs ahead..a few of those guys just need this year under their belt, and a solid preseason for next year. SW is fast-tracking with the younger guys, so it will be a bit hit or miss with some of them.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

We have got a very, very nice mix of youth and experience in the side at the moment. Armo, Jack and Geary middle in nicely between Lenny, Dal and CJ and the young guys that are coming into the side. I hope we can maintain it for as long as possible to really accelerate the development of the younger guys.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Looking quite good, and with a bit of depth. just need that freakish talented midfielder to come into the mix.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the one who impressed me most was Seb Ross ... in his first few he kind of looked a bit timmid about it tonight i think he actual believed he belonged out there the thing i felt that was strange his first instinct was to give it off not kick it himself but hopefully he gets better at that ...

Geary Armo and McEvoy that there is the future leadership of this club especially McEvoy he has really steped up to the plate last night and take responsability of getting that win in the last few mins there was one play where we had the ball running out of defence and McEvoy went to run forward he saw the kick going the the wrong way straight off the boot and before anyone else he changed direction and headed back to defend result when Carlton got possession from the erant kick McEvoy was already in the hole to stop the attack ... great reader of the play there by Ben..

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:Looking quite good, and with a bit of depth. just need that freakish talented midfielder to come into the mix.
We may already have him.

In further good news in the near future when people mention Ross & St Kilda they will be talking about a gun young player & not a greedy old man!

felix
Club Player

What I liked was that all our newish young players are as tough as nails , they didn't take a backward step against some Carlton agression and dished it out as well. Roberton , Wright, Ross, Newnes , and Jimmy Webster they have all shown a bit haven't they.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Old Mate wrote:just need that freakish talented midfielder to come into the mix.
We may already have him.

In further good news in the near future when people mention Ross & St Kilda they will be talking about a gun young player & not a greedy old man!
Markworth?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
We may already have him.

Seb - putting the Ross back into St Kilda!

I like it :)

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

the old rule of thumb that most players really don't start to fully blossom until after they get 50 games under belts still holds true. Steven just clicked over 50 games and really staring to shine. Armo & McEvoy have played 70 ish odd games and its been in the past 12 months that they have started to control games. Roberton just shy of 50 games and looks like he is going to emerge as a very good player.

Need to get games into Ross, Newnes, Wright, Webster et al as quickly as it makes sense to so that 3 years from now we are back challenging for a top 4 spot.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Saint wagga
Club Player

Excelent point Zed! The stats don lie, and bar the baby bombers, the old 50 game marker rings very true. That's 3 solid seasons of top tier footy. Last night really felt like almost the start of a successful new generation. The real elation after the siren from all players and the great bonding after in the rooms looked like a young team with a sprinkling of legends really enjoying the moment...could be a real generational shift if the youngsters can step up and keep playing better and better footy this year! Exciting

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

felix wrote:What I liked was that all our newish young players are as tough as nails , they didn't take a backward step against some Carlton agression and dished it out as well. Roberton , Wright, Ross, Newnes , and Jimmy Webster they have all shown a bit haven't they.
Don't know if anyone else saw it but just before the first bounce of the ball Newnes lined up on the wing and started niggling Kane Lucas and getting in his head. I really liked it, shows we won't be brushed aside.

kos
Club Player

Having a crack at dion prestia could nearly complete the future midfield!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:Having a crack at dion prestia could nearly complete the future midfield!

Toby Greene would be gettable. He's being played out of the midfield to develop others. That will piss him off you would think. He looks the next Cousins in the centre.

savatage
SS Life Member

Yes please Gringo!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
kos wrote:Having a crack at dion prestia could nearly complete the future midfield!

Toby Greene would be gettable. He's being played out of the midfield to develop others. That will piss him off you would think. He looks the next Cousins in the centre.

Hasnt he signed again so why is he getable?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

When His contract ends in 2015 he will be 22 - he was dratfed from the Oakleigh Chargers and previously played with Ashburton and Wesley and just may look to return to Victoria if the contract price is right ..... and we have cap space

Given these tidbits he is gettable .... just not now

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:[quote="kos"

When His contract ends in 2015 he will be 22 - he was dratfed from the Oakleigh Chargers and previously played with Ashburton and Wesley and just may look to return to Victoria if the contract price is right ..... and we have cap space

Given these tidbits he is gettable .... just not now
But he would have come to us via a trade as he won't be a free agent so all the other clubs will be after him to so cap space won't really matter

I love this club
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
But he would have come to us via a trade as he won't be a free agent so all the other clubs will be after him to so cap space won't really matter
Where there is a will there is a way :wink:

Personally I dont think we would target him specifically but there will be no doubt several other out of contract overlooked GWS and GC young gun mid fielders who might look for a fresh sart and wont cost so much in the way of draft picks

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:

Personally I dont think we would target him specifically but there will be no doubt several other out of contract overlooked GWS and GC young gun mid fielders who might look for a fresh sart and wont cost so much in the way of draft picks
Hope you are right though and he does come to us, we will have space in the cap so if there is a free agent out there it would be good to reem another club rather than being reemed for a change

I love this club
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:

Hope you are right though and he does come to us, we will have space in the cap so if there is a free agent out there it would be good to reem another club rather than being reemed for a change

Do we really want a 27 year old yet. I would make sure we pay 95% of the salary cap for the next 2 or 3 years and then go for it.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
Devilhead wrote: Hope you are right though and he does come to us, we will have space in the cap so if there is a free agent out there it would be good to reem another club rather than being reemed for a change

Do we really want a 27 year old yet. I would make sure we pay 95% of the salary cap for the next 2 or 3 years and then go for it.
I actually agree that we don't want to throw to much money at a free agent, we would be paying mega bucks for a 27 year old, something that we didn't do for Goddard and I agree with that. The other problem I don't think there is many quality players available for fa.
I assume you mean by paying 95% you mean paying the minimum, which at our stage of development is the right move, but I would still like us to reem another club when the time is right

I love this club
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Looking quite good, and with a bit of depth. just need that freakish talented midfielder to come into the mix.

We need a guy who can get 39 possessions where do you get those?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

the reason it's good to get a free agent in is that you can pay the minimum salary cap out with out over paying the kids. I still think that contributed to Ball wanting mare after he was asked to take a pay cut. Front end a free agent and keep the expectation of elite contribution on the kids. When our old boys all eventually go there will be a lot of very young kids and not much over 25.