Anyone still want Ross?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

andrewg
Club Player

Anyone still want Ross?

Watched the game tonight Essendon vs Freo. I am sooooooo happy Ross Lyon does not coach us anymore. Same s*** different colors! How can you loose a game of football like that....I know Ross Man Style!

Club Player

Re: Anyone still want Ross?

Totally agree.
His arrogance cost Freo tonight.
Tried to shut the game down at half time and blew it.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Obviously a joke thread. Gotta be, cant be a serious thread. Ross Lyin will coach Freo to the finals again, after taking the Saints to 4 straight finals and 3 grand finals.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saintjake
Club Player

The Pav has been pretty ordinary this year, the game plan might kill him like it nearly killed Roo

70s sainter
Club Player

Thought pavs oobf from ten m out could cost them . Worst kick I've ever seen .

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Yes.

I should have made threads on this with Freo's win against West Coast and their win in Melbourne against the Bulldogs.

Maybe I'll make two threads when they play finals.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

that being said mayne fraaked it up... but to let the bombers back in that just shows his one trick pony show has some real holes in it.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Seb? Haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement yet!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:The Pav has been pretty ordinary this year
I've been saying that all night....thanks for the confirmation... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Not quite sure about his arrogance or game plan stuffing up, 2.9 after half time, pav completely ineffectual, mayne missing from 13 metres out directly in front for the win…

Bombers were almost super-human in the second half too :shock:

Anyway, if it makes everyone feel better about our 0 - 2 start against battlers… enjoy!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Matthews made the point that he's always kept the good opposition within touch and never quite puts them away

That's why I think our own fans are harsh towards our boys effort in 2009, cats always within a couple of kicks

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Leigh Matthews made the point that he's always kept the good opposition within touch and never quite puts them away

That's why I think our own fans are harsh towards our boys effort in 2009, cats always within a couple of kicks
it's really refreshing that someone who actually knows something about football makes a comment...

maybe we should take a minute to think about what Saintsational would be like if we ever fluked a football person or 2 on here....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Leigh Matthews made the point that he's always kept the good opposition within touch and never quite puts them away

What the hell would Leigh Matthews know

Anyway, that's not a good comparison with Saints team from 2009. In that game it was the forwards fault with their bad kicking that let Ross down, whereas tonight RL will be justified in blaming all their mids....and also Chris Mayne

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I'm not going to lie I enjoyed that.

Whilst you can't be too critical of RL's game plan as its solid RE getting to September (though his already built finals team inflates his numbers IMO)...
well lets see, up by 5 goals, team stops pressing and requires the superstar key forward to get them over the line... does seem very familiar doesn't it

and they got the rub of the umpires too

nice to see them taken down a peg though they're contenders and we're not

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I'm not going to lie I enjoyed that.

Whilst you can't be too critical of RL's game plan as its solid RE getting to September (though his already built finals team inflates his numbers IMO)...
well lets see, up by 5 goals, team stops pressing and requires the superstar key forward to get them over the line... does seem very familiar doesn't it

Game plan can only take you so far. Their team has some holes but they should have won that at the end.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:

Game plan can only take you so far. Their team has some holes but they should have won that at the end.
The Lyon game plan can not be sustained for 4 quarters against the very good teams IMO.

To Hirds credit he just instructed his players to move the ball forward at all cost, no more chip kicking,
No more finessing, just get it down to the forward line as quickly as possible.

Plan B isn't one of Lyon's strong suits most times.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: In that game it was the forwards fault with their bad kicking that let Ross down, whereas tonight RL will be justified in blaming all their mids....and also Chris Mayne
Same thing....

Forwards missed a couple, but Cats were always in with a sniff if they kicked that 2-3, and that's how Ross always plays it.

I don't have Freo making the eight, purely because I think it's hard to sustain and it's becoming predictable, interested to see if I'm majorly off.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Scollop wrote: In that game it was the forwards fault with their bad kicking that let Ross down, whereas tonight RL will be justified in blaming all their mids....and also Chris Mayne
Same thing....

Forwards missed a couple, but Cats were always in with a sniff if they kicked that 2-3, and that's how Ross always plays it.

I don't have Freo making the eight, purely because I think it's hard to sustain and it's becoming predictable, interested to see if I'm majorly off.
Uhhmm, thought you'd know that was sarcasm K...

When his team wins he is brilliant...when they lose - the players stuffed up!! Just in case I haven't mentioned it - I can't stand Lyon and the way he thinks everyone is to blame except himself.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

My biggest problem with Lyon was that it seemed he never had a plan B or the ability to combat an opposition when they got on a run. It cost us a few times and now it seems to be costing Freo. Except unlike us it seems to be costing them over a million bucks a season.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

At least the Saints had some heart under lyon.

I cant remember ever being run down when in front by 6 goals at halftime.

Same old Freo front runners but heartless.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Griggsy
SS Life Member

same low scoring tactics, 70 points the magical number to win a close one against Lyon

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

The Lyon game plan can not be sustained for 4 quarters against the very good teams IMO.

To Hirds credit he just instructed his players to move the ball forward at all cost, no more chip kicking,
No more finessing, just get it down to the forward line as quickly as possible.

Plan B isn't one of Lyon's strong suits most times.
Cant be contained for 4 qtrs against very good teams? Dont see how that is, considering we won 19 in a row, against alll teams. Again in 2010 we won against most teams. What it came down to was the skill of some of our players.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Freo have 8 points, we have none. I'm not sure we're in a position to be taking shots at their coach.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Obviously a joke thread. Gotta be, cant be a serious thread. Ross Lyin will coach Freo to the finals again, after taking the Saints to 4 straight finals and 3 grand finals.
he didn't get us to 3 GFs, he got us to 2 and one was replayed

hardly the same thing :roll:

kalsaint
Club Player

Not surte I agree on this one. The only reason games were close were when both sides couldnt score freely.

Saints had 158% at the close of the home and away series and were 289% half way through the season. It appeared some clubs in 2010 were able to switch onto ways to bypass the defensive game plan at the time and thats why other clubs adopted similar principles but did better that year because thay also worked out how to score more freely. It wasnt always the good clubs either.

Good finals series to get to the GF but this was from defensive smothering only and some confidenence from BJ and Lenny to stand tall and deliver.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency