Is this spin?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Is this spin?

Watters has had a honeymoon period....etc

Appears to handle himself pretty well in the media.......

but is this SPIN?

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/watt ... 2h41m.html

from the article

The AFL's controversial pre-season interchange experiment is again under fire, this time from St Kilda coach Scott Watters.

He said the cap on rotations during the NAB Cup helped contribute to a high number of muscle cramps among players during round one.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... z2PGVjP4Nv

saint4life
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is this spin?

Dear oh dear....

defacto
Club Player

love scotty. loved his work at the other club i follow, subi. love him now. but that is the worst call he has made to date.

needs to pull his finger out and stop making excuses for the soft group of younger players

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't see why we wouldn't give him grace on this one.

Wasn't every preseason game 35ish this year?

He isn't typically an excuse maker IMO, so I see no reason to doubt him yet. We never seem to take the saints side anymore even when it's probably justified.

I understand the frustration but spin doesn't involve reality, and that preseason actually did eventuate

GSG
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I don't see why we wouldn't give him grace on this one.

Wasn't every preseason game 35ish this year?

He isn't typically an excuse maker IMO, so I see no reason to doubt him yet. We never seem to take the saints side anymore even when it's probably justified.

I understand the frustration but spin doesn't involve reality, and that preseason actually did eventuate

Yes all preseason games were in furnace conditions. The game at the gold coast was relatively hot as well, and very humid. Hard to adjust to humidity when you’re not used to it. On top of that, the Saints have to travel back to Melbourne, then play Richmond after a short break who had a much longer break.
But no excuses - after all, it’s a very fair competition and all teams are treated equally.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Maybe it's simply the way it is.

Maybe spin would be to deny any mitigating factors.

Maybe the flawed mindset is to throw your arms up in the air and cry all is lost, while blaming the coach and players for not wanting it or trying enough....

Especially after 1 game.

Doctor Two
Club Player

GSG wrote: But no excuses - after all, it’s a very fair competition and all teams are treated equally.

Gold :D

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Doctor Two wrote:
GSG wrote: But no excuses - after all, it’s a very fair competition and all teams are treated equally.

Gold :D
Ken Oath it is.

I love Demetriou.

His balls are like Bruce - DELICOUS!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Maybe it's simply the way it is.

Maybe the flawed mindset is to throw your arms up in the air and cry all is lost, while blaming the coach and players for not wanting it or trying enough....

Especially after 1 game.

He's not allowed to say anything other than we are s*** and we are doomed. It's pathetic and weak to suggest anything else. Haven't you been paying attention?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
matrix
Saintsational Legend

and with two days less break this week than the other side i wonder how we'll run this one out friday night :?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:

Especially after 1 game.

He's not allowed to say anything other than we are s*** and we are doomed. It's pathetic and weak to suggest anything else. Haven't you been paying attention?
That pic of Ed creeps me out, maybe if you posted more I'd get used to it. Probably not though ;)

70s sainter
Club Player

At least we ll prob have around 4 players fri night that will be fresh. Eg joey .......

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

If you read the article he was saying there was cramping evident in all games..not just ours

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
markp
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:

Especially after 1 game.

Fair enough, obviously not!

I guess not conceding at least that after a narrow round 1 loss is to embrace mediocrity, as well as a losing mindset and culture.

Winners demand success and refuse to accept failure... often it seems while inhaling pies and gulping flat beer from a comfy vantage point undercover in the stands, or better yet on the couch in front of the telly.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We had a shocking run with games in stupidly hot places this preseason probably just frustrated.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cant go along with a hot pre season being our problem. My thoughts are if you practice in hot weather you acclimatise. Why dont sides want to play Brisbane in that time in late April? Because by then you arent used to the hot weather.

GSG
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Cant go along with a hot pre season being our problem. My thoughts are if you practice in hot weather you acclimatise. Why dont sides want to play Brisbane in that time in late April? Because by then you arent used to the hot weather.

That is absolute nonsense. An AFL player runs about 13-15 km per game, some even more, being tackled, thrown to the ground, bumped and hit, and doing this in 35+ degrees for about two hours. And they did this three weeks in a row. I’m sure we have some distance runners on this forum who would be able to tell you how long it takes to recover from a long run in 35+ degrees. Some recover quicker than others, but it is still a much longer recover time.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Cant go along with a hot pre season being our problem. My thoughts are if you practice in hot weather you acclimatise. Why dont sides want to play Brisbane in that time in late April? Because by then you arent used to the hot weather.

That is absolute nonsense. An AFL player runs about 13-15 km per game, some even more, being tackled, thrown to the ground, bumped and hit, and doing this in 35+ degrees for about two hours. And they did this three weeks in a row. I’m sure we have some distance runners on this forum who would be able to tell you how long it takes to recover from a long run in 35+ degrees. Some recover quicker than others, but it is still a much longer recover time.

So I take that is the reason GC are no good. They are stuffed every week.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

They beat us!!

Heat and humidity are very different to play in.....

Humid conditions seem to sap energy harder and bring on cramping through Loss of fluid much more.

Perth is hot, but I felt easier to play at 30+ than 25 in Melbourne.

GC would be very sticky I'm guessing

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

GSG wrote:

no its not when there is two teams out there
everyone is jumping up and down about the heat in the praccy games - we should have been "Conditioned" to the heat
the night on the gold coast was reasonably mild himidity wise & I really dont think much different to a roof closed night at the dome.
yes a players inability to get rid of body heat due to the conditions will cause fatigue more rapidly but during the game and post game recovery methods a pretty good nowadays
Why arent a few people questioning the decision to go to utah in cold & then come back here for summer
maybe we should be joining the hawks up in PNG in the altitude and stifling humidity of kokoda

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:They beat us!!

Heat and humidity are very different to play in.....

Humid conditions seem to sap energy harder and bring on cramping through Loss of fluid much more.

Perth is hot, but I felt easier to play at 30+ than 25 in Melbourne.

GC would be very sticky I'm guessing

So we now have an excuse or are you giving us your BOM expertise.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not an excuse...

Both sides played at the same time. I was merely pointing out Humidity and Heat have different effect fro my experiences.

As far as recovery goes.... Body can regenerate, and even acclimatise to arduous conditions if need be.

Effort is often mental as much as physical. Separates Harvey's and Riewoldt from other talented players..

happy feet
Club Player

No, rotational medicine.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I normally back the club point of view but can't buy this one. We are supposed to have fitness and conditioning staff whose job it is to prepare our athletes. Sounds to me like these guys aren't up to scratch. The fact we played multiple games in hot weather make it less rather than more believable. I wil be very interested to see how our guys run out games over the next month.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

FFS read the quote properly, he didn't say it caused US to have more players cramping, he said the capped rotations caused more players to cramp in general.