Why can't we copy their model

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Why can't we copy their model

Watching Geelong, and they still look like a top 4 side after 7 years.
Whilst we we're recruiting hacks from other clubs, they recruited and introduced youngsters who have become very good players to keep the club up.
Our recruiting 07 to 11 is going to haunt us.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why can't we copy their model

3rd generation saint wrote:Watching Geelong, and they still look like a top 4 side after 7 years.
Whilst we we're recruiting hacks from other clubs, they recruited and introduced youngsters who have become very good players to keep the club up.
Good recruiting and development is where Geelong has left us behind big time. It will be hard to catch up. We should have had a big cleanout after 2011.

battye
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Whilst we we're recruiting hacks from other clubs, they recruited and introduced youngsters who have become very good players to keep the club up.
Exactly.

We need to develop our own players; very rarely are other clubs rejects going to go on to become superstars. The jury is still out on Lee and Hickey obviously, but the fact that we spent our top draft picks on guys from other clubs instead of young talent in the draft is a bit worrying to me. For every Sean Dempster there's going to be a few dozen Charlie Gardiner's.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
kimberly saint
Club Player

like you said we recruited hacks and few dud draftes and they kept recruiting kids, we have started but 3 years to late . The more we slide the more i regretfully say this but lyonn is and was a very good coach that had game plan that worked with team blessed with 5 or 6 guns and hand full of a few lucky to be getting a game at afl level and he or we nearly pulled it of :cry:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

James Podsiadley, Jared Rivers, Josh Caddy, Hamish McIntosh, Orren Stephenson....

They recruit for needs and develop their list.... Much like Coll, Haw, WCE

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

They recruit players who can kick - simple as that. And their small forwards are fast - ours aren't. Oh, and they have about 6 players on the backline who can take a mark under pressure. We have none. Any every one of their players can handball. We have about ten.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:Whilst we we're recruiting hacks from other clubs, they recruited and introduced youngsters who have become very good players to keep the club up.
Exactly.

Well not so exactly anymore as even the Cats are making use of recycled players now with Motlop and Rivers running around. Caddy and Hamish picked up..so they have changed their model.

Main difference I believe is the kids that have been drafted that for many years the Saints did very poorly, whereas the Cats have been about the best in the AFL.
So yes when you are so good at spotting, and yes also developing young talent, then you will do more of it.

I think we are doing better these years, but the Cats recruiting is par excellence.

Hickey and Lee both look to be big bets by Pelchen. Bets that I believe he is gambling will come on post 2014, rather than 2013. I am praying that he has invested in our future wisely.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Money, money, money! They have significant resources and they use them well. Pussies, Swines, filth, WCE, hawks and dare I say it, the shockers, are all far better resourced and it's starting to show. It's the new apartheid. The financial giants will only get better. The evidence shows that early draft picks do not automatically translate into success. Have a look at the up and coming cats. Motlop, Taylor Hunt, Duncan, Christensen and Smedts, all younger players who had a significant impact. I've said it before, but apart from choosing wisely, it's what you put into your players is what really counts these days.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Discipline vs Mercurial.

I only watched the last quarter and a bit of the Cats v Hawks game today..

Could not but notice that the cats were a lot more disciplined and team oriented, whereas the Hawks kept bombing it forward in the hope that Buddy and Rioli would produce some magic, and they didn't. When Buddy move up the ground the hawks goals resumed, but too late.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I don't think copying models, game plans or anything is a way to get ahead....

Need to be bold, write your own script and set a trend.

5 years ago Freo bucked the trend and drafted 2 VFL players
Silvagni.... Who was in our VFL feeder team and watched by our club weekly
Barlow...... Who trained with us over the summer

Both first 18 players in a team that will finish 8 places higher on the ladder this year. Barlow is arguably in their best 3.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:They recruit players who can kick - simple as that. And their small forwards are fast - ours aren't. Oh, and they have about 6 players on the backline who can take a mark under pressure. We have none. Any every one of their players can handball. We have about ten.
Our small forwards are extremely quick. Saad, Milera, TDL are all quick, they just aren't the same standard footballers as geelongs small forwards

suss
Club Player

They have clearly drafted well but a few father-son selections doesn't hurt. And the compensation you get from losing a father-son selection that cost you nothing in the first place (Gary "the gift that keeps on giving" Ablett = Caddy).

I wonder where we would've finished and would be with Ablett x 2, Scarlett, Hawkins, Caddy etc etc...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I don't think copying models, game plans or anything is a way to get ahead....

Indeed.

While I hate how Lyon left us, he did eactly what you just said.

He came up with a gameplan that made the most of the talents we had, and which also overcame many weaknesses we had. With the crap recruiting of kids we had he lent more towards trading.

Pelchen is taking a different direction. Still trading but with a more youthfull bent. Pelchen's trading has also secured a number of deals that generated extra picks/players and so has quickly picked up a lot of new players. Whether they are the right players remains to be seen.

Even the Cats are not standing still, as they are now more actively mining recycled players with blossoming squadron of them now at the Cats.

There is not one way, or model to be successful. And most clubs will fail.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Remember the old days of GT vs Bomber and the clashes of their young teams
The rapid rise of two "best list" teams, culminating in the enevitable final battle between the two on that special day in September

Its makes for a historic story of triumph and victory for one ...
of heartache and tradgedy for the other

(spoken with that deep gravelly movie guys' voice)

Seeya
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Well not so exactly anymore as even the Cats are making use of recycled players now with Motlop and Rivers running around.
Steven Motlop was drafted by the Cats at 18 years old in 2008 - not exactly recycled?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Scarlett, Ablett, Ablett, Hawkins.

All picked up for a song, leaving them to use their higher dp's on other quality players.

We have drafted OK over the past couple of years, not much worse than Geelong, but the unfair advantage having 3 out and out champions and a premiership player for virtually NOTHING (plus the other players they got gfor the top dps they didn't have to use on thses players) have ensured the Cats are stronger than us after 10 years.

How many Father/son champions have we had? 3 champions in one team in 2009 cost us a flag.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Watching Geelong, and they still look like a top 4 side after 7 years.
is already hurting us.......flower you lyon you turd....look at the legacy you have left us...no wonder you jumped ship.......judas with his 30 pieces of silver...with not a backwards glance either....morally bankrupt ..imhfo......
Last edited by stinger on Mon 01 Apr 2013 7:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I don't think copying models, game plans or anything is a way to get ahead....

Both first 18 players in a team that will finish 8 places higher on the ladder this year. Barlow is arguably in their best 3.
yep...we decided to redraft a guy who was past it (gehrig) instead of a guy who has turned out an a grade midfielder(barlow)....sos must not have rated his cousin highly...but who doesn't have a full back these days....us...of course....
Last edited by stinger on Tue 02 Apr 2013 8:39am, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

yep...we decided to redraft a guy who was past it (gehrig) instead of a guy who has turned out an a grade midfielder(barlow)....sos must not have rated his cousin higly...but who doesn't have a full back these days....us...of course....

Silvagni is not a FB. He would be no real use to us at all. Why would Freo get Zac if Silvagni was a FB?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Great idea, lets buck the trend and get in another top grade ruck an and play 2 together.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:

Great idea, lets buck the trend and get in another top grade ruck an and play 2 together.

You know that will never work.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:

Why?
If Barlow is in their top 3 then hickey can be in ours....

You know that will never work.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:
Good recruiting and development is where Geelong has left us behind big time. It will be hard to catch up. We should have had a big cleanout after 2011.
Clean out should have happened after 2010.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Regeneration doesn't require clean out....

Why throw the baby out with the bath water ....... But a clear direction was not there, I think we were either punch drunk or moping but we lost our way, our coach, our star and got older whilst doing it....

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Recruiting has been a problem since 2004 (McQualter, Watts, Howard).

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.