Prosed changes to Free Agency

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

HAWTHORN would not be compensated for the loss of Lance "Buddy" Franklin under proposed changes to the AFL's free agency rules.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 6595082773

===========================================================

Under the proposed FA rule we wouldn't have been compensated for the loss of BJ. I wonder if the proposed rule would have made a difference and swayed the clubs decision to offer him a 4th year?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Prosed changes to Free Agency

I like how they state all the feedback was positive surrounding free agency.

Not one mention about the life blood of the game the supporters and what they think.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:I like how they state all the feedback was positive surrounding free agency.

Not one mention about the life blood of the game the supporters and what they think.
BJ would have left the Saints with or without free agency. Ball left without free agency. At least this time we got good compensation.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:I like how they state all the feedback was positive surrounding free agency.

BJ would have left the Saints with or without free agency. Ball left without free agency. At least this time we got good compensation.
no..if there was no such thing as free agency....bj would have been a 300 game player for the saints...a legend and possibly a captain......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

This would royally screw the smaller clubs, the "have-not's", if you will....

I have no doubt that players would be happy to play for a bigger club for less money, knowing that all the extra footy department perks (facilities, staff, rehab arrangements etc) and the outside incentives ($25000 footy show interviews, visy ambassadors) will cover their salary shortfall.

All that needs to happen is like what got Luke Ball to Collingwood, a pay structure that loads up at the front end so they avoid their club matching the deal. or a huge deal to begin with that is extended after the first season, albeit at a much lower rate, all of which was negotiated at the starting point.

We will end up having what European Soccer has, buying clubs and selling clubs. Selling clubs put money into development and junior talents, and the buying clubs pick them off as they wish. And there's only one of those groups who win the silverware....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:This would royally screw the smaller clubs, the "have-not's", if you will....

I have no doubt that players would be happy to play for a bigger club for less money, knowing that all the extra footy department perks (facilities, staff, rehab arrangements etc) and the outside incentives ($25000 footy show interviews, visy ambassadors) will cover their salary shortfall.

All that needs to happen is like what got Luke Ball to Collingwood, a pay structure that loads up at the front end so they avoid their club matching the deal. or a huge deal to begin with that is extended after the first season, albeit at a much lower rate, all of which was negotiated at the starting point.

We will end up having what European Soccer has, buying clubs and selling clubs. Selling clubs put money into development and junior talents, and the buying clubs pick them off as they wish. And there's only one of those groups who win the silverware....

Firstly if you think the pies were any part happy with the Swan interview then you havent been reading the paper or listening to the radio or watching TV. Forget that though. Soccer doesnt have a salary cap so it completely different. I still say it wont screw the small clubs. We didnt lose BJ because we were a small club. Lets just wait and see before we condemn it. Anyway we have to get used to it because the AFL are not going to stop it or the players will just simply go to court on restraint of trade.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I like how they are surprised that a club losing a top player and getting a decent draft pick as compensation didn't want to throw that away on picking up a free agent themselves. Instead (using us as the example) we decided to "lose" a FA this year and keep the draft pick, and "gain" a FA in the future at no cost.

Once again the unintended consequences from the absolute masters at it. They intended that someone losing a gun to FA would pick one up from somewhere else in the same trasde period and no one would end up with draft picks as it would all even out in the wash, never occurred to them that clubs would take a longer term view of how to come out a long way in front.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:I like how they are surprised that a club losing a top player and getting a decent draft pick as compensation didn't want to throw that away on picking up a free agent themselves. Instead (using us as the example) we decided to "lose" a FA this year and keep the draft pick, and "gain" a FA in the future at no cost.

Once again the unintended consequences from the absolute masters at it. They intended that someone losing a gun to FA would pick one up from somewhere else in the same trasde period and no one would end up with draft picks as it would all even out in the wash, never occurred to them that clubs would take a longer term view of how to come out a long way in front.

good post...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:I like how they are surprised that a club losing a top player and getting a decent draft pick as compensation didn't want to throw that away on picking up a free agent themselves. Instead (using us as the example) we decided to "lose" a FA this year and keep the draft pick, and "gain" a FA in the future at no cost.

IM not sure they thought that at all. I think they decided to give a pick to ease the supporters into FA. there should never have been a pick in the first place but in year one they went that way. I think they may still do it for one more year but I hope they dont give clubs a pick. It will make it quicker and as such should be more players swapping clubs which will be good unless all the stars leave which I doubt will happen.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Why is more players swapping clubs a good thing?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Why is more players swapping clubs a good thing?

I think for players who maybe just about finished at their club it is good that they are given second chances like a Lynch at the pies or even Young at the pies. They may have still got games for their previous clubs but they may have not. I dont think it is great for the stars but stars have left for years anyway but most normally stay.

spot on
Club Player

im looking forward to a much happier free agency period with the extra cash we have, any ideas who we might target? mitch brown for free would be nice

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spot on wrote:im looking forward to a much happier free agency period with the extra cash we have, any ideas who we might target? mitch brown for free would be nice

Even if he continues to play only 7 or 8 games this year. My theory is if you have been in the system 6 or 7 years and still cant get a regular game you usually arent good enough.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

spot on wrote:im looking forward to a much happier free agency period with the extra cash we have, any ideas who we might target? mitch brown for free would be nice
If we're going to be active in FA this season, I'd hope we go for someone slightly more capable than a WAFL level fullback..

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:Why is more players swapping clubs a good thing?

I think for players who maybe just about finished at their club it is good that they are given second chances like a Lynch at the pies or even Young at the pies. They may have still got games for their previous clubs but they may have not. I dont think it is great for the stars but stars have left for years anyway but most normally stay.
Young was just about finished at Hawthorn??? :shock:

A 27 year old who in 2012 played 20 games and averaged 18 possessions, 5 marks, 3 tackles per game and whose club ended up playing in the GF.

As far as I can ascertain Collingwood put a better contract on the table ie: more money - Hawthorn even revised its initial contract offer in order to convince him to stay

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would be assembling a future hit list and target clubs with "under utilised" salary caps like the Swans, Collingwood, Hawks etc.

My pick list would include guys that are not free agents yet but can still be tempted away at the end of their current contract. Jetta, Rohan and Kennedy offered big money might come willingly or stay on big money- then strike on a free agent once they have been forced to pay overs to their youth on low money. maybe Parker or someone before they take off.

Hawks we could offer massive overs for someone like Buddy just to help float his value then swipe a Suckling or a second tier player they can't afford to keep with in the cap. Weagles are going to have a hard time keeping their list and I would look at guys like Gaff and then do over an older free agent like Brown once they push their cap tight.

Come on guys this system is designed for machiavellian manoeuvrings.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

I would be assembling a future hit list and target clubs with "under utilised" salary caps like the Swans, Collingwood, Hawks etc.

My pick list would include guys that are not free agents yet but can still be tempted away at the end of their current contract. Jetta, Rohan and Kennedy offered big money might come willingly or stay on big money- then strike on a free agent once they have been forced to pay overs to their youth on low money. maybe Parker or someone before they take off.

Hawks we could offer massive overs for someone like Buddy just to help float his value then swipe a Suckling or a second tier player they can't afford to keep with in the cap. Weagles are going to have a hard time keeping their list and I would look at guys like Gaff and then do over an older free agent like Brown once they push their cap tight.

What happens if they say yes and you are paying overs after just getting rid of BJ because we didnt want to pay overs?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Best thing they can do is bring in a rule that clubs can only use third party deals on players already at the club, not to chase a free agent. Tell me the toll contract did not make a difference with BJ.
But if they want pure free agency just destroy the comp by allowing anyone out of contract to change clubs. Hell open up 3-4 transfer windows and watch as a star plays for three big clubs in a year.....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:Best thing they can do is bring in a rule that clubs can only use third party deals on players already at the club, not to chase a free agent. Tell me the toll contract did not make a difference with BJ.
But if they want pure free agency just destroy the comp by allowing anyone out of contract to change clubs. Hell open up 3-4 transfer windows and watch as a star plays for three big clubs in a year.....

Well the AFL didnt have much choice because the players union would have gone to court for restraint of trade. We would nearly be the last big sport to bring it in. And I still dont think star players will leave much more than they previously had but only time will tell.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

What happens if they say yes and you are paying overs after just getting rid of BJ because we didnt want to pay overs?
Wouldn't be too bad having the real Buddy and he new Buddy in one team. Obviously you would be looking at players you want to offer the overs to.

lloyd21
Club Player

Would doubt Saints would go to all the trouble of getting their list payments in order only to stuff themselves up by offering overs to a senior player at another club.More likely to target a player like Dion Prestia offer them more upfront so they are on better $ immediately only saying Prestia as example as they fit the list model 20 -24 years .

coopergrech
Club Player

I would love to have Lance " Buddy" Franklin at our club , we would be a much better club with him and we would be a top 4 team for sure. Thoughts?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

coopergrech wrote:I would love to have Lance " Buddy" Franklin at our club , we would be a much better club with him and we would be a top 4 team for sure. Thoughts?

There was a thread on this a while back and I said no then and I am still no. My reasons are cost and where I think the club is at.

shmic_s
Club Player

coopergrech wrote:I would love to have Lance " Buddy" Franklin at our club , we would be a much better club with him and we would be a top 4 team for sure. Thoughts?
Mids mids and more mids IMO.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

shmic_s wrote:
Mids mids and more mids IMO.
This - young mids at that, from expansion clubs.......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!