Club that win flags aren't meant to have $mill free

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Club that win flags aren't meant to have $mill free

Clubs that win flags aren't meant t have $mill free to recruit star players.

They are meant to have the salary cap biting hard, so that the competition is more level.

The Swans have now won two flags in less than a decade. Landing Tippet will certainly have them in the running for more.

While YES I do believe that the Swans have recruited superbly in recent years, and that this is a HUGE factor in their success, the extra salary cap is an unfair advantage.

I too can see the advantage for the competition in them being initially successful, but after two flags in less than a decade it is time this advantage was removed.

The Saints did not even win a flag, but playing in repeated GF's with the salary cap squeeze has meant that we have now lost BJ, Ball, Zac and Walsh as players where $$$ was an issue.

Time for common sense to be applied and for the extra salary cap loading for the Swans to go.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 07 Oct 2012 3:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Club that win flags aren't meant t have $mill free

I still like the idea of taking money out of the SA clubs cap because it's the cheapest city to live in. I say we offer a heap for Gary Rohan now while the bite of missing the GF year is still stinging and his leg is recovering. Go the Joel Smith raid on him they can't fit everyone- they are paying tommy Walsh to play in the Ressies.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Tippett's decision probably stuffs us up with Caddy too.

The Suns would have valued our pick 13 highly as they could have sent that to Adelaide. Now we should maybe look at if we can get involved in a 3 way trade with the Swans.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Sure the money is good but surely Sydney couldnt offer what Crows would want.

Strange choice, maybe Tippett realised that Dixon, Smith, Gorringe will be better than him in a couple of years.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Sure the money is good but surely Sydney couldnt offer what Crows would want.

Strange choice, maybe Tippett realised that Dixon, Smith, Gorringe will be better than him in a couple of years.

Thats what i would think. Adelaide would nearly make him go in the pre season draft than take somethink like pick 22. I doubt Sydney would let a star go to Adelaide so that wont work either. Tippett may want to go there but may have to go to GC.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Animal Enclosure wrote:Tippett's decision probably stuffs us up with Caddy too.

The Suns would have valued our pick 13 highly as they could have sent that to Adelaide. Now we should maybe look at if we can get involved in a 3 way trade with the Swans.
With the Swans?? For what?

Strength through Loyalty
fingers
Saintsational Legend

I think you will find that there are some clubs (Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn, maybe even Collingwood) that ahve moved to a model of a more even distribution amongst the players in order to keep a core group together and deliver success. We aren't there but I think the strategy that Pelchen and others are developing is aimed at moving us towards it. Goddard not getting $800k from us is an example. Long way to go but I would think worth it.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Josh Kennedy is still un-signed

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

i thought the swans cap was now on a par with the rest other than the 80k extra for sydney living allowance??

#1 Ryder fan
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:i thought the swans cap was now on a par with the rest other than the 80k extra for sydney living allowance??
Negative.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

St Ick wrote:Sure the money is good but surely Sydney couldnt offer what Crows would want.

They'll find a way to make it happen, probably a 4 way deal with one of the new clubs and a Melbourne club. Send a good mid-aged player and their first round DP to say GWS for Dom Tyson, Tyson to Richmond for their first Round DP, then send that first round DP to Adelaide.

That or a good mid-aged player to GWS for an upgrade on their first round DP.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

The AFL always claimed to be scared to challenge the players manipulating the draft because before free agency it was a way of curtailing the players running to court to cry restraint of trade. Now they should toughen the f*** up on these piss weak dogs who mess with the system. Tippett isn't a free agent he should go to the club that gets a deal done with Adelaide for his services. Same with Caddy, we have free agency to placate these wankers now they want free agency from the day they are drafted. The AFL is letting this get silly. he and Caddy should both be told they are getting investigated for draft tampering (like they should have done with Ball) then this would stop.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:The AFL always claimed to be scared to challenge the players manipulating the draft because before free agency it was a way of curtailing the players running to court to cry restraint of trade. Now they should toughen the f*** up on these piss weak dogs who mess with the system. Tippett isn't a free agent he should go to the club that gets a deal done with Adelaide for his services. Same with Caddy, we have free agency to placate these wankers now they want free agency from the day they are drafted. The AFL is letting this get silly. he and Caddy should both be told they are getting investigated for draft tampering (like they should have done with Ball) then this would stop.

Have they gone to the clubs they want to go to? It isnt draft tampering to say where you want to go. Clubs should show some guts and recruit these guys. If Melbourne were smart they could have taken Ball.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

St Ick wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:Tippett's decision probably stuffs us up with Caddy too.

With the Swans?? For what?
Gary Rohan to Saints
Pick 13 to Adel
Tippett to Swans

I likey!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thats what i would think. Adelaide would nearly make him go in the pre season draft than take somethink like pick 22. I doubt Sydney would let a star go to Adelaide so that wont work either. Tippett may want to go there but may have to go to GC.

True...but Tippets manager can say trade with the Swans or he will go to Suns for free. Suns have second pick, but GWS cannot pick another Crows players this year as they gained one last year. So the Crows bargaining position and ability to play hard ball is weakened.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

True...but Tippets manager can say trade with the Swans or he will go to Suns for free. Suns have second pick, but GWS cannot pick another Crows players this year as they gained one last year. So the Crows bargaining position and ability to play hard ball is weakened.

Pretty sure GWS can trade for a player though. They wont as they will want Lachie Whitfield.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:The AFL always claimed to be scared to challenge the players manipulating the draft because before free agency it was a way of curtailing the players running to court to cry restraint of trade. Now they should toughen the f*** up on these piss weak dogs who mess with the system. Tippett isn't a free agent he should go to the club that gets a deal done with Adelaide for his services. Same with Caddy, we have free agency to placate these wankers now they want free agency from the day they are drafted. The AFL is letting this get silly. he and Caddy should both be told they are getting investigated for draft tampering (like they should have done with Ball) then this would stop.

Have they gone to the clubs they want to go to? It isnt draft tampering to say where you want to go. Clubs should show some guts and recruit these guys. If Melbourne were smart they could have taken Ball.
No way Melbourne could have drafted Ball. Ball and Collingwood basically cheated to get his own way.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No way Melbourne could have drafted Ball. Ball and Collingwood basically cheated to get his own way.

And tell us why Melbourne couldnt have got him. A logical reason will do.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Would you be happy if StKilda drafted a player without interviewing him or doing any physical testing?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Still can't believe there was a bidding war over Kurt, massive risk for mine.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Would you be happy if StKilda drafted a player without interviewing him or doing any physical testing?
Don't worry about physical testing, how much psychological testing did they do with LOvett?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

True Believer wrote:

They'll find a way to make it happen, probably a 4 way deal with one of the new clubs and a Melbourne club. Send a good mid-aged player and their first round DP to say GWS for Dom Tyson, Tyson to Richmond for their first Round DP, then send that first round DP to Adelaide.

That or a good mid-aged player to GWS for an upgrade on their first round DP.
I'd be suprised if Suns helped them to GET Tippett to them, and wouldn't GWS have some sort of rivalry with Swans?

Strength through Loyalty
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Still can't believe there was a bidding war over Kurt, massive risk for mine.
Exactly !
after his last concussion , adelaide said he was right to play the next week . some medico's were saying he should have sat out for the rest of the season . I believe that under pressure from the Afl , he ended up not coming back until just before the finals . The only game he was effective was his last against the hawks but i think the hawks lack of a big fullback was part of the reason .
I think another big hit could seriously effect the longevity of his career .

In red white and black from 73
stevie
Saintsational Legend

He's not gonna get any faster either.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

mr six o'clock wrote:
SainterK wrote:Still can't believe there was a bidding war over Kurt, massive risk for mine.
Exactly !
after his last concussion , adelaide said he was right to play the next week . some medico's were saying he should have sat out for the rest of the season . I believe that under pressure from the Afl , he ended up not coming back until just before the finals . The only game he was effective was his last against the hawks but i think the hawks lack of a big fullback was part of the reason .
I think another big hit could seriously effect the longevity of his career .
And considering Kurts text msg and managers comments, that hit will most likely come from a Crows player!

Strength through Loyalty