This is what pick 13 gets us

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

This is what pick 13 gets us

2011: Taylor Adams, GWS - 15 games (15.0 per year)
2010: Seb Tape, GCS - 23 games (11.5 per year)
2009: Daniel Talia, Adelaide - 32 games (10.7 per year)
2008: Tom Lynch, St Kilda - 12 games (3.0 per year)
2007: Brad Ebert, West Coast - 98 games (19.6 per year)
2006: Jack Riewoldt, Richmond - 112 games (18.7 per year)
2005: Shannon Hurn, West Coast - 122 games (17.4 per year)
2004: Matthew Bate, Melbourne - 102 games (12.8 per year)
2003: Brent Stanton, Essendon - 182 games (20.2 per year)
2002: Byron Schammer, Fremantle - 129 games (14.3 per year)
2001: Nick Dal Santo, St Kilda - 238 games (21.6 per year)
2000: Ash McGrath, Brisbane - 188 games (15.7 per year)
1999: Robert Murphy, Footscray - 230 games (17.7 per year)
1998: Chris Lamb, Melbourne - 21 games (4.2 per year)
1997: Callum Chambers, West Coast - 66 games (7.3 per year)
1996: Tom Gilligan, Adelaide - 3 games (1.5 per year)
1995: Brad Rowe, Fremantle - 8 games (8.0 per year)
1994: Chris Hemley, St Kilda - 1 game (1.0 per year)
1993: David Ugrinic, Geelong - 0 games
1992: Andrew McKay, Carlton - 244 games (22.2 per year)
1991: Shane Crawford, Hawthorn - 305 games (17.9 per year)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: This is what pick 13 gets us

That has been an unbelievably lucky pick.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Some pretty solid picks in there!

I rate all of Crawford, McKay, Murphy, Dal Santo and Stanton very highly. The next tier is McGrath, Hurn, Riewoldt, Ebert and Talia, all very solid players and some who could wind up better than that. Chambers, Schammer and Bate all played a few games and were OK but never cemented a place at AFL level. Most of the rest were failures, with the caveat that Tape and Adams (and Lynch?) are still too early in their careers to make a call on.

So that's 21 drafts of which 10 are players you'd be very happy to have in the side - that suggests roughly a 50% strike rate for pick 13.

However, since Chris Lamb in 1998, there have been 13 drafts and very few true failures, so I reckon the strike rate is a fair bit better than that.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

And here's a side made up only of these pick 13s (and Todd Ridley who I think was 13 in 1990):

FB: McGrath, Lamb, Tape
HB: Talia, McKay, Hurn
C: Ebert, Dal Santo, Murphy
HF: Schammer, Lynch, Bate
FF: Ridley, Riewoldt, Chambers
R: Gilligan, Stanton, Crawford
IC: Ugrinic, Adams, Rowe, Hemley

Pretty solid defence, not an amazing forward line but a great midfield despite the lack of ruck depth.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Schammer was under rated just had an unreliable body. He could have been a gun. Not a bad pick throughout the years.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Schammer was quality until illness struck he had some virus that wouldn't go away and he lost like 20kgs he came back from it and got back to a decent weight but he was never the same

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
sippo
Club Player

Schammer couldnt kick when he was well, and coming back even in the WAFL, still cant kick. I see Schammer and i think Peake

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SEN are suggesting Caddy for Pick 13
but given radio talk last night suggesting he DOES NOT want to come to the saints - where does that stand....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:SEN are suggesting Caddy for Pick 13
but given radio talk last night suggesting he DOES NOT want to come to the saints - where does that stand....

Then he doesnt come. The player must agree as well as the clubs.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Hudson on SEN said Caddy wants to come to the Saints and the pick will get it done.

Also nice backhanded about TEAM FIRST from the Saints :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Just heard Pelchen talk on AFL radio saying we don't even know what our compensation is until we've done all our deals in the coming weeks.

battye
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Just heard Pelchen talk on AFL radio saying we don't even know what our compensation is until we've done all our deals in the coming weeks.
Fantastic. Sounds like we are utterly unprepared.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
SainterK wrote:Just heard Pelchen talk on AFL radio saying we don't even know what our compensation is until we've done all our deals in the coming weeks.
What? The compensation can't be calculated until all free agents are completed, in and out. If we take a free agent then the (presumably) mid-first round pick is reduced. I'm not sure that's being "utterly unprepared".

bozza1980
Club Player

battye wrote:
Ofcourse they have no idea, they don't know if they will sign a free agent from another club.

If this is to happen our compensation changes.

Explain, how they are to be "prepared" when there is an awful lot of water to pass under the bridge.

No doubt, they know what they will receive if this our sole involvemement in free agency.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:

Hudson on SEN said Caddy wants to come to the Saints and the pick will get it done.

Also nice backhanded about TEAM FIRST from the Saints :D
Yes, heard this too. I believe pick 13 is slightly too much, but a pick in the 20s is too much for Hickey. Still holding hope that we can pull off the Caddy, Hickey, Toy trade somehow.

Something spectacular would want to happen now we have lost our best most promising player. Now Roo looks a fool for suggesting captaincy and having him in the bridal party.

Scotty Watters seems genuinely shattered on SEN, jeez he says the right things doesn't he. GO Scotty!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
battye
Saintsational Legend

Okay, fair enough. When I read it I thought the club weren't sure which band he was considered to be in - didn't consider other free agents.

Having said that, I hope we don't waste our time on any other free agents. Goddard was the only one of any quality on the market, I'd prefer to see us invest in quality player in the draft with our compensation first round pick.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:Having said that, I hope we don't waste our time on any other free agents. Goddard was the only one of any quality on the market, I'd prefer to see us invest in quality player in the draft with our compensation first round pick.
At the rate the other free agents are going, I don't think there'll be any left by the end of the week! Not sure they'll need the whole month of free agency.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Pick 13 has a very good strike rate over the past decade or so. If we can't get Caddy then I'd be quite happy to hang on to both 12 and 13 and see if we can't snare a gun tall forward and midfielder for the next 12 years. We need some genuine talent for the new core of the St Kilda footy club that you're much more likely to find with high draft picks than anything else. We might find some handy role players and flankers through late picks and low-cost trades, but we really need to find the new star tall forward and some gun midfielders.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

So the bombers could trade away their first 3 picks (after the Daniher pick) and we'd be forced to take whatever ceap is left over?
If Daniher is judged to be a first round pick, and so is Goddard, then it should be up to the bombers to trade to send a first round pick our way. It would be BS if we get shafted with anything less than a first round pick, and BS if the bombers get all these guns for 1 pick.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:So the bombers could trade away their first 3 picks (after the Daniher pick) and we'd be forced to take whatever ceap is left over?
If Daniher is judged to be a first round pick, and so is Goddard, then it should be up to the bombers to trade to send a first round pick our way. It would be BS if we get shafted with anything less than a first round pick, and BS if the bombers get all these guns for 1 pick.
???

What does trading have to do with Goddard? He has accepted Essendon's offer and St Kilda isn't going to match it. He has moved via free agency.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Surely with 12 AND 13 we will get at least one gun. Even we couldn't stuff it up. Could we?

SS Life Member

Munga wrote:So the bombers could trade away their first 3 picks (after the Daniher pick) and we'd be forced to take whatever ceap is left over?

Ummmm we at this stage will have 2 first round draft picks both before the bombers. They will get Daniher and will have to wait till Round 2 for their first technical pick of the draft!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
noob
Club Player

Buckets wrote:

Ummmm we at this stage will have 2 first round draft picks both before the bombers. They will get Daniher and will have to wait till Round 2 for their first technical pick of the draft!
To be fair though Daniher will be a good player for them.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

We'll have 2 first round picks from where?
We have 12, bombers have to use 13 on Daniher yeah?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Buckets
SS Life Member

Munga wrote:We'll have 2 first round picks from where?
We have 12, bombers have to use 13 on Daniher yeah?
Unless we get a free agent ourselves we will get pick 13. Bombers will have to use their first pick which is 10? Which for Daniher seems fair. They then wait until nearly pick 30 for their next one.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you