Brendon Goddard set to sign with Essendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

|Andy|
Club Player

Brendon Goddard set to sign with Essendon

BRENDON Goddard will tomorrow sign a four-year contract to play with Essendon, forcing St Kilda to match the offer or lose its star.

Under restricted free agency rules, the Saints will have three days to offer the same salary and length of contract.

That seems highly unlikely.

Despite constant negotiations with Goddard's management, the Saints have refused to budge on their three-year offer.

Goddard has wanted a four-year deal.

He recently moved on his demands, asking for three years and a option for a fourth year with conditions included, but the Saints rejected it.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl ... 6484817696
Last edited by |Andy| on Sun 30 Sep 2012 7:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brendon Goddard set to sign with Essendon

already 6 threads on this

“Yeah….nah””
|Andy|
Club Player

All threads on this were rumours and no confirmation. This is the first thread confirming it with a source.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

It was fact 2 weeks ago. Just wasnt able to sign then. Cant blame him. He would have had to see someone to look into his health if he knocked back around 700 to 800K.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:It was fact 2 weeks ago. Just wasnt able to sign then. Cant blame him. He would have had to see someone to look into his health if he knocked back around 700 to 800K.
Too right.

How long can he earn those bucks in his life?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Just mentioned it on 7 news, however looks like Essendon are going to give up Hille, Pears and Hooker. Plus Monfries maybe going to Port.
Those are three decent players for 1, just wonder Goddard is going to come at too high a price for Essendon.
Interesting that he changed hi soffer too 3 years with an option as that sounds like he doesn't really want to leave and compromised in order too stay at the club.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
andrewg
Club Player

Still think saint will match close and we will keep him. The logic to move to the bummers doesn't make sense to me

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Be silly if we even try to match as much as he is being offerend.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not sure he wanted it matched, he'd be realistic about it I think.

I still reckon the 4th year was the sticking point myself.

If the Saints had budged just even a little, well who knows.

Find it bizarre that someone like Hird ended up netting him, someone so 'one club' mentality himself.

andrewg
Club Player

True, to be honest I'm not sure the club was that keen to keep him. Maybe short term pain for long term gain in their opinion?Just hope we manage the extra cash and picks well. Lets not waste a pick on someone that wants to go home in two years.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

I think we must have another offer up our sleeve, otherwise we have negotiated incompetently. If the sticking point is 4 years rather than 3, then I think we're simply being stupid.

paddy
Club Player

well, good on him for sorting it out early.... at least now we have the ability to sort out some trades and use up our newly found salary cap space....

thanks for the memories BJ....

careful of the soft tissue curse at the dons...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

"BRENDON Goddard will tomorrow sign a four-year contract to play with Essendon, forcing St Kilda to match the offer or lose its star."

3 days to match/think about the offer…

Surely he can't "sign tomorrow" before we have even returned an offer?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:"BRENDON Goddard will tomorrow sign a four-year contract to play with Essendon, forcing St Kilda to match the offer or lose its star."

How long do we have to match/think about the offer?

Surely he can't "sign tomorrow" before we have even returned an offer?
Essendon are'unlikely' to make an annoucnemnt tomorrow- I heard wedwould be earliest.

Club- Saints have 72 hours to make alternate offer/ match-

the player has 5 alternatives-
if they match/make alternaive - choose original club regardless,
accept offering club
or go to the trade if they really want out ( which he didn't)

if the club don't match he can
go to new club
stay with original club
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 30 Sep 2012 8:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
paddy
Club Player

saints have 3 days to match the offer.... they have to match every part of it too, total payments (incentives included) and length...

the only thing that can differ is the whether it is front or back loaded, or even payments.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote:saints have 3 days to match the offer.... they have to match every part of it too, total payments (incentives included) and length...

the only thing that can differ is the whether it is front or back loaded, or even payments.
They only have to match the offer to FORCE a trade if BJ still wants to be traded. St Kilda can put in a final offer which is lower than Essendon's which BJ can accept. BJ may be satisfied to receive a slightly smaller contract to stay a Saint for life.

jays
Club Player

we will never match that offer

paddy
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
paddy wrote:saints have 3 days to match the offer.... they have to match every part of it too, total payments (incentives included) and length...

They only have to match the offer to FORCE a trade if BJ still wants to be traded. St Kilda can put in a final offer which is lower than Essendon's which BJ can accept. BJ may be satisfied to receive a slightly smaller contract to stay a Saint for life.

oh right, well that makes sense

also, i wonder if we will be told what our compensation will be prior to the 3 day deadline?

i'd hope so, then we know what we are gambling for

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that he would accept a 3 year contract with a 4th meeting certain conditions but the club still wasn't interested. I'm starting to think they have decided they'd rather have pick 13 than Goddard unless he plays for less than 500k.

It's hard to put the blame on anyone. St Kilda doesn't want to pay overs, yet it does seem harsh to cut him loose when guys like Gram and Kosi are running around on huge money despite being very ordinary since 2009. Goddard clearly would rather stay at the club, but there's a whole lot more money on offer elsewhere and St Kilda doesn't really seem to care about keeping him.

If we do put pick 13 to good use, this could go down as a classic Pelchen hard-nosed list management decision that works out brilliantly. If we get a kid who plays 200 games from that pick then we effectively get 400 games of quality service from pick 1 in 2002. It could also free up cap space to snag a quality player who fits a more urgent need in trade week. With that said, we could well waste it while BJ gets back to his best for another 100+ games at Essendon.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Interesting that he would accept a 3 year contract with a 4th meeting certain conditions but the club still wasn't interested. I'm starting to think they have decided they'd rather have pick 13 than Goddard unless he plays for less than 500k.

It's hard to put the blame on anyone. St Kilda doesn't want to pay overs, yet it does seem harsh to cut him loose when guys like Gram and Kosi are running around on huge money despite being very ordinary since 2009. Goddard clearly would rather stay at the club, but there's a whole lot more money on offer elsewhere and St Kilda doesn't really seem to care about keeping him.If we do put pick 13 to good use, this could go down as a classic Pelchen hard-nosed list management decision that works out brilliantly. If we get a kid who plays 200 games from that pick then we effectively get 400 games of quality service from pick 1 in 2002. It could also free up cap space to snag a quality player who fits a more urgent need in trade week. With that said, we could well waste it while BJ gets back to his best for another 100+ games at Essendon.
agree with most except bold in your thread

saint4life
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I would have offered him 5!!

Not a combative player... 6+ years of footy in him

Don't see the big deal on length of contract, there's no restraint on that... Money understandable, but it seems that we wanted BJ to test the market

Good idea

I think not!!

Only club to lose a big name player in season 1 of free agency

You guessed it

The mighty SAINTS!!!

We do hold some inglorious record in our history

saintkid
Club Player

Keeping Gram and Kosi is poor list management. Kosi offers absolutely nothing in terms of the team going forward and Gram has done bugger all since the 2009 GF. Neither of these players have what it takes to put us back into finals contention. Keeping these two duds and losing Goddard makes me think we will slide further down the ladder next year. I'm not saying Goddard is worth the dollars he is asking but I'd be more comfortable overpaying him than keeping Gram and Kosi on the contracts they have. A half fit Goddard is miles better than both these players put together.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What I love, is we are being so strong because we don't want the FA market to dictate or inflate BJ's value, but we're deluded enough to think it won't dictate or inflate everyone elses?

What are these big names we are going to attract, and why are they going to be happy to stay under a 'geelong like model' and earn less with us?

Buckets
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:I would have offered him 5!!

Not a combative player... 6+ years of footy in him

Don't see the big deal on length of contract, there's no restraint on that... Money understandable, but it seems that we wanted BJ to test the market

Good idea

I think not!!

Only club to lose a big name player in season 1 of free agency

You guessed it

The mighty SAINTS!!!

So thankful your not running the club!

6 years??? WOW!

If he can't take 3 which would take him to 30 then let him go.

Club is always bigger than the individual.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Sobraz
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote: Only club to lose a big name player in season 1 of free agency

You guessed it

The mighty SAINTS!!!

would've had short odds of us being the first... it'd be laughable if it wasn't so predictably painful..