Jamie Cripps & Kobby Stevens swap club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mohannair
Club Player

Jamie Cripps & Kobby Stevens swap club

Was mentioned on SEN that it is mutually agreed between 2 clubs to swap Cripps & Koby.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jamie Cripps & Kobby Stevens swap club

Probably the best case scenario all round, if he doesn't come on and Cripps does though I'm going to be a hind sight champion and say they f***ed it all up. Steven has at least had development put into him and you are swapping like for like in the draft order. Better than a late second round like Plugger suggested. Shame we couldn't get Strijk thrown in like a dempster deal.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Is koby Stevens any good?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Seems like a logical and fair swap. Being a Gippsland boy, the Saints should suit him down to the ground. A year older than Cripps, he is the same height and build as Lenny Hayes and Seb Ross.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Would be a great pick up.Same shape and style as Josh Kennedy. Takes a good overhead grab also.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

From the W/C forums I've just read, it appears that the knock on him is that he is a bit slow and his disposal isn't anything to get excited about. So we lose some leg speed, but we pick up a hard, inside mid. Time will tell, it could be a win-win, but it's also possible we'll be ending up with Dean Polo Mk II. Fingers crossed on this one!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

my feeling is that we have loaded up on contested midfielders and lost some run. We look a little light on for outside runners with class, hope Milera takes a huge leap with a proper preseason.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:my feeling is that we have loaded up on contested midfielders and lost some run. We look a little light on for outside runners with class, hope Milera takes a huge leap with a proper preseason.
At the moment we have Hayes Armo then hopefully Ross. A player like Stevens is what we should be loading up on.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Would be a great pick up.Same shape and style as Josh Kennedy. Takes a good overhead grab also.

Except for the 13 KG differnce in weight. Know idea about this guy but I know what we are losing and that is speed and goal kicking. 2 things we cant lose.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

We need a new whipping boy...

We also need someone to de list in a year or two as well so Stevens could have a role to play...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

What is this other thread about...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78083

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Would be a great pick up.Same shape and style as Josh Kennedy. Takes a good overhead grab also.

Except for the 13 KG differnce in weight. Know idea about this guy but I know what we are losing and that is speed and goal kicking. 2 things we cant lose.

The weight will come hes a tall strong young mid that will gain size as he gets older. We have enough pace and Cripps as hardly lightning.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I dont think we do have enough pace. If we get Koby, we should try and recruit some speedsters in the draft.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He looks like he can play without any real outstanding qualities there is something about him that reminds me of a young Lenny on the field though. Some videos of him below doesn't seem the brightest guy but he's not there for his brains.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I dont think we do have enough pace. If we get Koby, we should try and recruit some speedsters in the draft.

Geelong and Sydney over the last two years where hardly what youd call quick sides.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

See below for a few Koby Stevens 2009 draft profiles

From Contested Footy

A hard working and powerful midfielder Koby Stevens has already carved out a good reputation in the right circles and looks very likely to go in the first round if not the top 10 picks of the draft.

The pleasing thing about Koby is some people rave about his ability to hit the scoreboard, whilst others are talking about his clearance work. Personally I like him as a hard working midfielder in the Lenny Hayes mould as he tackles with real ferocity but can create play just as easily as he can stop it.

I was surprised by Koby’s kicking efficiency stats and feel that they do in fact under sell his footskills however this may be an area that keeps him out of the top 10. An AIS graduate Stevens has had the opportunity to work closely with Nathan Buckley and there seems to have been an emphasis on work ethic and I’m sure that ethos will see Stevens improve his footskills.

Matt Burgan

There will be a slider - as is the case most drafts - and Stevens could be one, but only just outside the top 20. This is because clubs with multiple picks in the top 20 will address several needs. Stevens could just as easily be snapped up by Essendon at No.10 or the Swans at No.14. A tough and ferocious inside midfielder, it is believed North Melbourne rates Stevens highly, but it faces a tough choice as the Roos are also a big fan of Ryan Bastinac. Stevens was the equal leading tackler in this year's under-18s (averaging six per match) and averaged 26 disposals with Gippsland. He has also been involved in leadership groups with the AIS-AFL Academy, Vic Country and Gippsland.

AFL Draft Info

Strengths

Good all-round ball winning skills– 18.6dpg at 2009 U18 Championships level, 25dpg at 2009 TAC Cup level – he can play both inside (get 1st hands quite frequently) and out, but I don’t think he stands out at either (mainly due to his middle of the road decision making and disposal) – he will most likely become a genuine workhorse hard ball getter with no frills or possibly even a big bodied defensive midfielder that can get the ball ala Ling (this would be the role he should be developed in IMO)

Very strong, well balanced and keeps his feet well - rarely brought down in a tackle

Good height for a midfielder/flanker and strong body – large, lean build for an U18 – definite AFL ready (if fit) next season

Good level of production and consistency both throughout a game and game by game – has the ability to step it up in the bigger games/rise to the occassion

Good overall work-rate in both directions – is a ferocious tackler that will ground opponents in close, but doesn’t possess the pace to run down players – I think he has good running capacity when at full fitness

Reports suggest he has very good leadership potential

Weaknesses

Pace-wise off the mark he seemed a bit below average off the mark (at full fitness possibly OK?) at the championships but over distance he was OK – doesn’t seem to possess any significant evasive ability

Overall disposal seems to be somewhat lacking in hurt factor (compared to other top prospects at least) and doesn’t possess any above average decision making ability

Other

He is an OK kick – at his best he can get good power and decent penetration behind the ball – although watching his U18 Championships games on tape it seems his current technique could be tightened up a bit – I’m not sure maximise his extension through the footy – he does lack hurt factor with his passing due to his somewhat high trajectory kicking, modest decision making (tends to go long and straight to contests too often) and having only a reasonable accuracy and reliability at best

He is an OK DM at best, but in no way creative/damaging or very reliable- inside traffic he doesn’t seem to possess great vision to open up the play as you would want from a midfielder without pace or evasive ability, outside traffic he seems to play mainly in straight lines - on occasions he can be caught out for lack of quickness (doesn’t seem to have sharp reflexes)

2008 TAC Cup TOTY Wing

Fairly clean handling without being exceptional

Played 2 U18 championships (2008 and 2009) –S 3 games in 2008 (averaged 8 disposals), all games in 2009

2009 AIS-AFL U17 captain

Diagnosed with OP late in 2009

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:See below for a few Koby Stevens 2009 draft profiles

From Contested Footy

A hard working and powerful midfielder Koby Stevens has already carved out a good reputation in the right circles and looks very likely to go in the first round if not the top 10 picks of the draft.

The pleasing thing about Koby is some people rave about his ability to hit the scoreboard, whilst others are talking about his clearance work. Personally I like him as a hard working midfielder in the Lenny Hayes mould as he tackles with real ferocity but can create play just as easily as he can stop it.

I was surprised by Koby’s kicking efficiency stats and feel that they do in fact under sell his footskills however this may be an area that keeps him out of the top 10. An AIS graduate Stevens has had the opportunity to work closely with Nathan Buckley and there seems to have been an emphasis on work ethic and I’m sure that ethos will see Stevens improve his footskills.

Matt Burgan

There will be a slider - as is the case most drafts - and Stevens could be one, but only just outside the top 20. This is because clubs with multiple picks in the top 20 will address several needs. Stevens could just as easily be snapped up by Essendon at No.10 or the Swans at No.14. A tough and ferocious inside midfielder, it is believed North Melbourne rates Stevens highly, but it faces a tough choice as the Roos are also a big fan of Ryan Bastinac. Stevens was the equal leading tackler in this year's under-18s (averaging six per match) and averaged 26 disposals with Gippsland. He has also been involved in leadership groups with the AIS-AFL Academy, Vic Country and Gippsland.

AFL Draft Info

Strengths

Good all-round ball winning skills– 18.6dpg at 2009 U18 Championships level, 25dpg at 2009 TAC Cup level – he can play both inside (get 1st hands quite frequently) and out, but I don’t think he stands out at either (mainly due to his middle of the road decision making and disposal) – he will most likely become a genuine workhorse hard ball getter with no frills or possibly even a big bodied defensive midfielder that can get the ball ala Ling (this would be the role he should be developed in IMO)

Very strong, well balanced and keeps his feet well - rarely brought down in a tackle

Good height for a midfielder/flanker and strong body – large, lean build for an U18 – definite AFL ready (if fit) next season

Good level of production and consistency both throughout a game and game by game – has the ability to step it up in the bigger games/rise to the occassion

Good overall work-rate in both directions – is a ferocious tackler that will ground opponents in close, but doesn’t possess the pace to run down players – I think he has good running capacity when at full fitness

Reports suggest he has very good leadership potential

Weaknesses

Pace-wise off the mark he seemed a bit below average off the mark (at full fitness possibly OK?) at the championships but over distance he was OK – doesn’t seem to possess any significant evasive ability

Overall disposal seems to be somewhat lacking in hurt factor (compared to other top prospects at least) and doesn’t possess any above average decision making ability

Other

He is an OK kick – at his best he can get good power and decent penetration behind the ball – although watching his U18 Championships games on tape it seems his current technique could be tightened up a bit – I’m not sure maximise his extension through the footy – he does lack hurt factor with his passing due to his somewhat high trajectory kicking, modest decision making (tends to go long and straight to contests too often) and having only a reasonable accuracy and reliability at best

He is an OK DM at best, but in no way creative/damaging or very reliable- inside traffic he doesn’t seem to possess great vision to open up the play as you would want from a midfielder without pace or evasive ability, outside traffic he seems to play mainly in straight lines - on occasions he can be caught out for lack of quickness (doesn’t seem to have sharp reflexes)

2008 TAC Cup TOTY Wing

Fairly clean handling without being exceptional

Played 2 U18 championships (2008 and 2009) –S 3 games in 2008 (averaged 8 disposals), all games in 2009

2009 AIS-AFL U17 captain

Diagnosed with OP late in 2009

Great sounds like we swapped the sports car for a farm ute.

mohannair
Club Player

mohannair wrote:Was mentioned on SEN that it is mutually agreed between 2 clubs to swap Cripps & Koby.
Could not put all the other info I heard along with this one.

Apparently Josh Caddy is heading to North Melbourne, was at the club on Friday & looked at their latest facilities. Also mentioned that Big Q was probably heading to the Pies.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Personally I would rather get a mid-late twenties pick for Cripps. Stevens has some wraps on him, but with Steven and Armo emerging with Ledger, Ross and Curren all improving and performing well for Sandy I don't think we need another young inside mid unless he has serious talent.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

mohannair wrote:
mohannair wrote:Was mentioned on SEN that it is mutually agreed between 2 clubs to swap Cripps & Koby.
Could not put all the other info I heard along with this one.

Apparently Josh Caddy is heading to North Melbourne, was at the club on Friday & looked at their latest facilities. Also mentioned that Big Q was probably heading to the Pies.
Just about every media outlet are now reporting Caddy to North which may mean we are happy to acquire Stevens who is a similar player to Caddy. Both big midfielders, Caddy rated higher as a junior. And we don't need to part with our first round pick - Cripps hurts though.

paddy
Club Player

think its better than nothing....

i like his height, hopefully with a bit of work in the gym, can be a bit of a josh kennedy for us...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

disposal/decision making is what we need. Both appear to be ? on his game.......we'll see. Hope he turns out to be a steal.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The weight will come hes a tall strong young mid that will gain size as he gets older. We have enough pace and Cripps as hardly lightning.

Cripps is one of our faster players. Apart from Steven there is bugger all pace in the middle. Cripps amy or may not have become an outside mid with pace. Anyway to late for him. If it is a straight swap the obvious question is where would both be drafted this year. No idea myself about Stevens but Cripps would be in the 20-30 range. Anyone got an idea on Stevens.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I have no idea - but o the surface it appears we have lost here.
the guy is a year older. played less games. kicked less goals and generally not as good as cripps.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

When he was drafted the thoughts where that Cripps would be the running half back type. The two years hes been with the Saints hes been mainly used as a half forward and thats after being the sub most games. I know he was used as a hlf back over the pre season games but really didnt look at all composed down back. All be it he is young I know. Stevens is true mid fielder something we seriously lack. Yes we have players that can have bursts in there but not true mid fielders.