Delistings and retirements

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Delistings and retirements

Well the year is over so I suppose it is guess time on who will go.

Retire
Blake

Delist
Polo
Peake
Clarke
Crocker Downgrade to rookie
Winmar downgrade to rookie
Kosi if no contract

Upgrade
Dunell
Ferguson

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Delistings and retirements

Retire..
Blake

Delist Including Rookies
Polo
Peake
Clarke
Winmar
Archer
Andreoli
Crocker

Promote
Fergusen
Dunnel
Curren

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Delist Archer also

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Kosi and Blake may go around again pending the draft/trade period. Kosi has some contract clause too unless it's performance based which may see us delist/trade him.

Winmar is contracted so we would have to pay him out to rookie him which wont happen.

Dunell being upgraded for the remainder of this season should see him upgraded next year. Not sure on Ferguson. I suppose that'll again depend on trade/draft period as well as whether Blake and Kosi continue. Surely Curren will be upgraded he'll likely finish top 3 in Sandy's B & F, possibly win it.

Agree re Polo, Peake and Clarke. I think Crocker will be delisted.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Delist Archer also

Yep for got rookies. Add andreoli as well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Kosi and Blake may go around again pending the draft/trade period. Kosi has some contract clause too unless it's performance based which may see us delist/trade him.

Winmar is contracted so we would have to pay him out to rookie him which wont happen.

Dunell being upgraded for the remainder of this season should see him upgraded next year. Not sure on Ferguson. I suppose that'll again depend on trade/draft period as well as whether Blake and Kosi continue. Surely Curren will be upgraded he'll likely finish top 3 in Sandy's B & F, possibly win it.

We put Howard on the rookie last because he had a contract. The only reason I said upgrade Ferg is because GWS are very keen. That is a fact that I found out about today.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Kosi and Blake may go around again pending the draft/trade period. Kosi has some contract clause too unless it's performance based which may see us delist/trade him.

We put Howard on the rookie last because he had a contract. The only reason I said upgrade Ferg is because GWS are very keen. That is a fact that I found out about today.
Sounds like another Tommy 'Gun' Walsh scenario...A Syd club poaching one of our rookies.

I doubt the club will upgrade him just because another club is interested. He would wanna be good...Just remember we can trade rookies, as we did with Walsh last year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Sounds like another Tommy 'Gun' Walsh scenario...A Syd club poaching one of our rookies.

I doubt the club will upgrade him just because another club is interested. He would wanna be good...Just remember we can trade rookies, as we did with Walsh last year.

He is good.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I hope we secure him then.

But is he better than Tommy Gun?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:I hope we secure him then.

But is he better than Tommy Gun?

I hope so.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

What about Curren do we see him being upgraded? I think we still lack a bit of depth in our midfield.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If Blake was retiring I think he would have got a farewell game today.

This is my guess at how things will pan out..

Gram, Kosi, Jones and Winmar all stay at the club because of contracts.

Delisted:
Peake
Polo
Crocker
Clarke

Promoted from rookie list:
Dunell

Delisted from rookie list:
Archer
Shenton

They are our voluntary moves. It leaves three spots open on the senior list. Then I suspect we will lose Goddard to free agency and get a late first round compo pick. We'll probably then use a draft pick to trade for a key defender (Chaplin/Brown/Pederson).

Which leaves us with three national draft picks and however many rookies we are allowed to have next year.

I think we'd be in a much better position if we were able to offload any of Gram, Jones or Winmar for a draft pick, but we haven't seen that kind of move from St Kilda for a long time and I don't see it happening.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Winnar will get another year

#1 Ryder fan
noob
Club Player

I reckon we should allow 4 picks in the national draft not 3. First selection more inclined to go for the best player.. then 3 KPP players.. doesn't matter if they are forward or backman they end up switching like max hudghton and sam fisher have (started as forwards). Just recruit a mature age ruckman from the rookie draft with our first rookie pick. Midfielders are always handy to have. Gram shouldn't be offloaded after seeing what he can do the last month but I'd put him a 1 year contract.

resaintlee
Club Player

I feel we need to do what must be done to keep Ferguson. He may still be a bit light next year but he certainly is good.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Whoever was involved with writing up Gram, Kosi & Joneses contract clauses ought to be shot, fair dinkum, when you can't even delist players that need to be delisted, that is a disaster.

Legendary
Club Player

Kosi will play again for depth ... we need some KPP depth on the list

PJ
SS Life Member

Ferg should get upgraded purely because of his demographic - he's a tall defender that has good form. If we're hanging our hat on recruiting one mature age largish defender to fix our defensive problems then he'd better bloody work or we're stuffed again next year.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Ferg should get upgraded purely because of his demographic - he's a tall defender that has good form. If we're hanging our hat on recruiting one mature age largish defender to fix our defensive problems then he'd better bloody work or we're stuffed again next year.
Ferguson is tall but he's not a power defender. He's similar to Gilbert in that he's more likely to take the third tall/medium forward and run off them.

If Goddard does leave and we don't recruit a big name to replace him, we may have the cap space to pay out Jones or Winmar and take another pick in the draft.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
PJ wrote:Ferg should get upgraded purely because of his demographic - he's a tall defender that has good form. If we're hanging our hat on recruiting one mature age largish defender to fix our defensive problems then he'd better bloody work or we're stuffed again next year.
Ferguson is tall but he's not a power defender. He's similar to Gilbert in that he's more likely to take the third tall/medium forward and run off them.

If Goddard does leave and we don't recruit a big name to replace him, we may have the cap space to pay out Jones or Winmar and take another pick in the draft.
He's 194 cm and not even 20 years old yet,
He could well become a power defender with another 2-3 years of weights and preseasons under his belt…
Fingers crossed.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:He's 194 cm and not even 20 years old yet,
He could well become a power defender with another 2-3 years of weights and preseasons under his belt…
Fingers crossed.
Perhaps, but it'd take a big change in game style and as you said, 2-3 years of weights. He's simply not an option to play on big AFL talls next year.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Fingers crossed.
Perhaps, but it'd take a big change in game style and as you said, 2-3 years of weights. He's simply not an option to play on big AFL talls next year.
Just out of interest, was/is Dustin Fletcher a power defender as we call it?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Fingers crossed.
Agree, we need to hang onto him for now though, could be very promising in a couple of years, we know all too well how hard it is to find decent tall players in every position on the ground.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:Just out of interest, was/is Dustin Fletcher a power defender as we call it?
Fletcher generally takes the third tall and plays off them. We already have a plethora of players suited to doing that and Ferguson is another. We need someone to take Cloke, J Riewoldt, J Brown, Pavlich, Waite, Kennedy etc. We need a Glass, Rutten or McPharlin type, not Fletcher.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Jackson actually lives in Western Sydney, and misses home an awful lot.

What is great though, is that he has moved in with a couple of young guys, and seems optimistic about breaking into the side.

I'd say the club will call him in and promise him an elevation sooner rather than later.