"It ain't over till it's over"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

"It ain't over till it's over"

Or at least that's what Yogi Berra famously said.

So..."Fremantle are in the finals".

Hold the phone!

They still need to win one more game. Tomorrow they play a very good North Melbourne team. I'm predicting North to knock the stuffing out of them. This will leave them over the course of the week to be ruminating and feeling terrified of the thought of losing to Melbourne. So terrified that they may very well will lose. I mean, it's the Dockers we're talking about here.

Who knows? Come next Sunday, we may find ourselves playing for a shot in the finals.

Stranger things have happened.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Chef attack
Club Player

Re: "It ain't over till it's over"

Well it is st Kilda, strange is normal!

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

The chances of Melbourne winning in Perth are nil! Other than it is the last game of the season!
Being that fish et al have been put on ice I think the saints coaching staff are in touch with reality

#1 Ryder fan
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:The chances of Melbourne winning in Perth are nil! Other than it is the last game of the season!
Being that fish et al have been put on ice I think the saints coaching staff are in touch with reality
Agree. It's Perth. Different to the GC game where maybe some Carltank players wanted to oust Ratten.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:The chances of Melbourne winning in Perth are nil! Other than it is the last game of the season!
Agree. It's Perth. Different to the GC game where maybe some Carltank players wanted to oust Ratten.

Of course they did. They deliberately lost so Ratten would leave and they would miss playing finals. Makes sense.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

agreed

Goody
Club Player

The decision for Fisher, Snides to have surgery is the right one. No one here is sayin g we will win the GF, but we could still make finals. It would a great fast track fot our younger brigade to be exposed to finals footy, whether or not they are ready for it. Its all in ours anf freo's hands, oh anf Melbournes. Unlikely but it can happen.
Bit like Lotto, you don't think you can win but you buy a ticket.

Followed Saints since '71
Sir Robert Harvey was my favorite player
Stewie Lowe and Plugger before that.
Loved watching Rooey and Jack Steven
Now looking forward to the future

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, but most just say " What the f#&k happened!".
GRAMophone
Club Player

Can only hope the umps have some money on Melbourne. They owe us one (at least).

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
jays
Club Player

need freo to lose next week aint going to happen

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sadly you are correct. I'd rate our chances of playing finals as about one in a thousand.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I'd love to see us in the 8 because on balance I believe we have been good enough to warrant a finals spot, but if we finish 9th or 10th I won't sook. A full pre-season will do wonders and there's been a HEAP of good to come out of this year.

Off the top of my head:

Simpkin - outstanding year. OUTSTANDING.
Geary - welcome
Gwilt - slow start but finding feet again after horrible knee
Hayes - best return from injury ever in the history of mankind
Dal - outstanding season
Riewoldt - happy, and back towards being a tireless dominant force up forward again
Armo - best year yet
Steven - will be a jet
Siposs - class act IMO
Saad - Milne Mk 2
Stanley - huge leaps despite injury. Will be a jet
Milera - talented in body development year
Newnes - glimpses and a taste
Cripps - glimpses and more of a taste
McEvoy - battered from pillar to post, but really a very brave year and one that will do wonders in long run
Ledger - a couple of games, and another year of tank-building
Milne - terrific year all in all.
Dunell - looks a player
Seb Ross - ready and raring from all reports
Wilkes - finally a solid back up

Downsides?

BJ not re-signing has been a black mark

Kosi showing us he's all but cooked

Round f****** one which has more than likely cost us a berth in the end, and a couple of dropped close ones against Freo and Tigers which really stung. If they'd been won, the reality is a la 2008 we'd be going into final round a sniff of fourth and with a most agreeable percentage.

C'est la vie.

Broader picture is pretty positive IMO. Not sure we'll ever have the big bottom out. More a Sydney-like performance curve IMO.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Chef attack
Club Player

matrix wrote:agreed
With you on that one

deadman walking
Club Player

its over

kalsaint
Club Player

deadman walking wrote:its over
Yep Mute point now

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yep, it was just a case "where there's life, there's hope" on my behalf :oops:

On a brighter note, we won't have to blow our $$$ on finals tickets 8-)

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

That's it for the optimists, we can't make the finals...roll on the delistings,trade week and the draft...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:That's it for the optimists, we can't make the finals...roll on the delistings,trade week and the draft...

Yes indeed.

From what I am hearing (nothing official, and rumours left right and centre at this time of year), there may be some gnashing of teeth and howling at the moon come delisting and trade week.

Will be a lot of fun.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Rosco
Club Player

kalsaint wrote:
Yep Mute point now
moot.

kinda glad it happened this round, can have a relaxing week and knock off Carlton's kids with our kids next week

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

all over now, f%&king north where was that killer football they served up to us and the pies... F#%k i hate north.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:all over now, f%&king north where was that killer football they served up to us and the pies... F#%k i hate north.
yer hate nth also.

shitbonhead spirit and gumby pretend prez...

“Yeah….nah””
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
bobmurray wrote:That's it for the optimists, we can't make the finals...roll on the delistings,trade week and the draft...

Yes indeed.

From what I am hearing (nothing official, and rumours left right and centre at this time of year), there may be some gnashing of teeth and howling at the moon come delisting and trade week.

Will be a lot of fun.
What have you heard re delistings?

Agree it's open season now. New coach = new philosophy.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Yes indeed.

Will be a lot of fun.

Agree also, it might be a very interesting trade period for us, if bj does go ( hope he doesn't) then I hope we go hard after a gun with the space that creates on our cap.

I love this club
kalsaint
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Yes indeed.

Will be a lot of fun.

Yep just the wheeling and dealing to be done now.

Your Watters >>>>>>Lying is probably not appropriate today after their solid win. It may be best in the longer term but right now I'm still coming to terms with the number of close losses over the year.
The team matchups, # of interstate games and consecutive short breaks show that inequality in the AFL is still rampant. Short term decisions by the AFL probably hurt Carltank and Essendon more than St. Kilda to some extent but wouldn't it be nice for the AFL not to fiddle with the game by short term decision making to allow the clubs to plan for the longer term without blow budgets on mistakes made by changes necessitated? I will continue to scrutinise the AFL equality rating apllied (or not) to continued bias of umpiring interpretations that affect games (without technology improvements) and recruitment losses made by clubs due to inconsistent AFL management short term decisions to teams and game rules.

While these appear like sour grapes as I know as we wernt good enough over the full year, the former reasons do continue to contrubute to a level of inequallity that the AFL dont allow with respect other inequalities like villification, so why not improve these other areas too?

I can provide numerous examples here but wont and just hope for greater equality next year. Adrian Anderson believes he shows integrity? Look again I say. It's still wanting.

Look forward to next year and will scrutinise the 2013 roster with vigour for evidence of improvement to equality.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
NOTTHATAWKWARD
Club Player

kalsaint wrote:While these appear like sour grapes as I know as we wernt good enough over the full year, the former reasons do continue to contrubute to a level of inequallity that the AFL dont allow with respect other inequalities like villification, so why not improve these other areas too?

I can provide numerous examples here but wont and just hope for greater equality next year. Adrian Anderson believes he shows integrity? Look again I say. It's still wanting
Please elaborate, not baiting just generally interested because I think I know what your on about, would just like some clarification and am also interested in other theories.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Thinline! What a GREAT response to some of the less positive postings! Wonderful attitude to take into the final game of the year!!! and roll on 2013!!! Love your work!!! Jiggster

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)