Armo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Armo

Such a good football player. Just summed up at 3 min mark of 2nd. Wins contested ball on wing. Dishes handball to Gilbo and then bang - protects and blocks for Gilbo and lands a big shepherd.
Love watching him play in our side.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Armo

He has absolutely achieved his goal of levelling the gap between his best and worst. An ordinary game from Armo now means he'll get 20 touches and 4 tackles, whereas his best is close to 30 touches, a couple of goals and 8 tackles. It's no coincidence that his first truly good year has been the first year he has ever been played as a regular midfielder.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

At the start of the year I thought he was still getting caught too often but he seems to have improved that aspect.

Great piece of play yesterday when he didn't take possession and knocked it on to himself. He seems to be growing in confidence.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Anyone else seeing a future leader emerging?

His work of the ball for his teammates is awesome, constant talk out there in the form of encouragement and direction, first to young guys who do something well.

Never would of picked it, but I think we are seeing a future leader blossom.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

It's funny - you can just see he is so much more confident now the way he goes about things. He rarely misses a target anymore and his set kicking for goal is excellent. This in itself shows his self belief. Seems to either be reading the play far better, or has improved his fitness (maybe both) Either way he just seems to be involved in far more contests, and is able to exert 2nd and 3rd efforts far better. His physicality around the ball is much needed in our team. He has presence, and it would be ironic after a stuttering start to his career, where the criticism of him was that he didn't work hard enough on and off the ground, that he would be looked at as a captain/leader type. A couple more seasons of developing and he will be elite, AND definitely be exactly the type of captain any club would need.

Is certainly a relief, as we waited long enough for him to develop. Is finally becoming the player that the saints saw in him and took as a first rounder all those years ago.

Footnote - I for one don't blame Lyon for his lack of development. I believe that Armo was given plenty of chances in the past but didn't take them. He's been given every opportunity in my opinion, and now he has grabbed it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:It's funny - you can just see he is so much more confident now the way he goes about things. He rarely misses a target anymore and his set kicking for goal is excellent. This in itself shows his self belief. Seems to either be reading the play far better, or has improved his fitness (maybe both) Either way he just seems to be involved in far more contests, and is able to exert 2nd and 3rd efforts far better. His physicality around the ball is much needed in our team. He has presence, and it would be ironic after a stuttering start to his career, where the criticism of him was that he didn't work hard enough on and off the ground, that he would be looked at as a captain/leader type. A couple more seasons of developing and he will be elite, AND definitely be exactly the type of captain any club would need.

Is certainly a relief, as we waited long enough for him to develop. Is finally becoming the player that the saints saw in him and took as a first rounder all those years ago.

Footnote - I for one don't blame Lyon for his lack of development. I believe that Armo was given plenty of chances in the past but didn't take them. He's been given every opportunity in my opinion, and now he has grabbed it.

Of course Armo was given plenty of chances. People dont seem to realise or forget it because it wrecks their argument but Armo played 13 games in his second year when we finished 4th. Maybe the tough love RL gave Armo is the reason he has improved so much. It is all hypothetical but we do know 13 games in your second year in a top 4 side is a pretty good run of games. Anyway its all in the past and Armo is now a very good Saints player and I can happily say i got it wrong about him. I wish a couple of others would prove me wrong as well.

Ross who?
Club Player

Playing really well this year. Played a lot better than he was given credit for on the weekend. Hits in very hard and has tremendous commitment.
If I remember correctly Armo signed a 1 year deal, so he could prove himself before signing a decent contract. Deserves it now. Sign him up Mr.Bains!

Blake Acres fan club VIP
Solar
Saintsational Legend

very clever use of him as a high half forward who charged off the front of the cnetre square at bounces. We got quite a few clearances from big hit fowards from the ruckman into his hands. Good way to add midfield numbers without losing much. Also allows macca to make a impact without being a touch player.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If that's what you think P66

tough love.... He was wasting away in the VFL dominating in a slower paced game which was detrimental to his adaption to AFL.... It takes a youngn 30-60 games to get used to the pace of AFL footy and only after that are they going to be a consistent performer...

His use as a stationary defensive small forward last season was ridiculous....

Ross was/is a very poor player devoper as a coach..... But game day tactically is strong.....

Which kids really blossomed under him???

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If that's what you think P66

tough love.... He was wasting away in the VFL dominating in a slower paced game which was detrimental to his adaption to AFL.... It takes a youngn 30-60 games to get used to the pace of AFL footy and only after that are they going to be a consistent performer...

Ross was/is a very poor player devoper as a coach..... But game day tactically is strong.....

I didnt see how he can be a great coach then which you have said many times. Can you explain why he played 13 games in his second year if RL didnt give young guys a go. And how would you know what he was asked to work on in 2009 and whether he did it. Why hasnt Ledger really played this year? I dont know but a guess is he has been asked to work on things and hasnt been able to do it. Everything is so black and white with you but you like me have no knowledge of why guys arent playing. My guess is they are asked to work on aspects of their game.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If that's what you think P66

Jack Steven, Gilbo played his first year under Lyon. Mcqualter I believe played the best footy he will ever play under Lyon, McEvoy played excellent footy last year and had a break out year.

You don't just gift players 30-60 games of AFL footy and say 'well that's how long it will take to get used to the pace.' The players also have to show something. The penny takes longer to drop for some. Lyon coached us to numerous finals series. He was trying to win a flag. Playing young blokes who weren't showing anything just doesn't cut it.

AND before you mention the pies in 2010, almost every one of the young players they brought into the team had an immediate impact. Blair was good from the start. Reid was in and out of the team until he found his spot at FB (and even that was after half a year in the reserves playing that position) None of them were given a free ride, and I'm glad that Armo wasn't either.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:Anyone else seeing a future leader emerging?

His work of the ball for his teammates is awesome, constant talk out there in the form of encouragement and direction, first to young guys who do something well.

Never would of picked it, but I think we are seeing a future leader blossom.

My prediction about 3 years ago.

Too bad I didn't write it down and save it somewhere for proof when it comes true

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Different methods.

The 'come and see me when you're ready' v 'we really think you can be something and want to help you become it'

Not saying one method is better than the other, but I think where the club is now, I'm glad we have someone who seems more nurturing.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Different methods.

The 'come and see me when you're ready' v 'we really think you can be something and want to help you become it'

Not saying one method is better than the other, but I think where the club is now, I'm glad we have someone who seems more nurturing.
I don't buy that this was his method Sainterk.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I do.

I think he was truly shocked and felt even a little remorseful going by his interview when the NZ thing happened.

Pretty much admitted he'd been leaving the kids be, and that's when he introduced the program for young players to find work.

I also believe going off reports on here, that he became a much more constant presence at the VFL games after this as well?

I think he'd be much better at it moving forward.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I do.

I think he was truly shocked and felt even a little remorseful going by his interview when the NZ thing happened.

Pretty much admitted he'd been leaving the kids be, and that's when he introduced the program for young players to find work.

I also believe going off reports on here, that he became a much more constant presence at the VFL games after this as well?

I think he'd be much better at it moving forward.

I know some will argue bu just about everytime i went to the VFL RL was there. From 2007 onwards. Another Myth. Anyway RL has gone so he was no where near the coach you thought he was for 5 years. SW will be the same when he leaves.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You're consistent, I'll give you that...

Didn't read the part where I said neither method is right or wrong?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:It's funny - you can just see he is so much more confident now the way he goes about things. He rarely misses a target anymore and his set kicking for goal is excellent. This in itself shows his self belief. Seems to either be reading the play far better, or has improved his fitness (maybe both) Either way he just seems to be involved in far more contests, and is able to exert 2nd and 3rd efforts far better. His physicality around the ball is much needed in our team. He has presence, and it would be ironic after a stuttering start to his career, where the criticism of him was that he didn't work hard enough on and off the ground, that he would be looked at as a captain/leader type. A couple more seasons of developing and he will be elite, AND definitely be exactly the type of captain any club would need.

Amazing how critical people were of a young guy like armo (or any other young guy - cripps and rhys also come to mind for copping it). the fact is it takes a few years and a few pre-seasons to get your fitness up to afl standard. many times when fans say someone is 'inconsistent or soft' and blah blah blah nonsense is usually cos the guy is just plain spent and is sucking in the oxygen and cant go for the next contest. People seem to expect way too much of players way too soon IMO. I think 25 is when u can accurately assess.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:You're consistent, I'll give you that...

Didn't read the part where I said neither method is right or wrong?

Yes i did.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Armo has always been a tough bastard but whats really impressed me this season is the way he can spread from the contest and also his foot skills. No longer is he a one dimensional bull.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes, it would be your guess.... And you have the same level of knowledge... The coach probably just didn't rate him like you... And has since been proved wrong, again like you

Ledger is also being stifled ATM also, but is not the same ability as Armitage..... And I'm not sure who he could displace?? What I do know is, that he is shitloads better than Cripps.... That will also be seen in the fullness of time

Armitage was a lot better than a lot of kids drafted same season, who went past him with greater exposure and opportunity (Grigg for instance, Edawrds, Pittard, Houli etc...) Evidently, it seems like an error by Ross
Like his handling of L.Ball in 2009... Right up to GF day and then beyond.... Evidently also a massive error in judgement

Lyon was not perfect, no coach is,....IMO these are two CLEAR errors he made.

#gosaintas
Club Player

I heard that a running coach was pecifically hired for him over the pre-season. Dunno if it is true. He certainly spreads hard this year and is still running late in games

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Always tested well and has always benn extremely fit

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

I cant comment on how hard he runs and spreads, because of viewing it, mainly on TV, but there's no doubt he's a more confident looking player this season, and he seems to be where the ball is.

Might be that he's now got 50-60 ?? games in him, may also be that Watters is giving him a bit more responsibilty in the middle.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Amazing how critical people were of a young guy like armo (or any other young guy - cripps and rhys also come to mind for copping it). the fact is it takes a few years and a few pre-seasons to get your fitness up to afl standard. many times when fans say someone is 'inconsistent or soft' and blah blah blah nonsense is usually cos the guy is just plain spent and is sucking in the oxygen and cant go for the next contest. People seem to expect way too much of players way too soon IMO. I think 25 is when u can accurately assess.

So you're saying that we should wait until blokes turn 25 to accurately assess mid fielders? You do realise that history is littered with brownlow medalists who won their medal before they turned 25? In fact off the top of my head in recent memory, Judd, Bartel, Cooney all won theirs well before they turned 25. Armo is a late bloomer for a mid fielder. Big rucks I can cop taking a few years. Mids generally start to show their wares anywhere from day dot to their 3rd year. Armo is nearly as late a bloomer as any as I can remember. When did we draft him? 06 wasn't it? or was it 07? Either way that's 5-6 seasons to get his act together. Doesn't really matter now - cos he finally has and I'm as happy as anyone that this is the case.

I know one thing - in the third 1/4 on Sat night in front of Bay 31 where I was standing I saw him sprint hard to make position right in front of me. His repeat running has been excellent this year. Rewind 4 years ago, I rarely saw him do that. As I said, it could be confidence, fitness, or a combination of both.