Clint Jones the Rainmaker...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Clint Jones the Rainmaker...

Jonesy has a huge heart and will run himself ragged. No question about that. Incredibly motivated. BUT when he kicks, it goes up about 40 metres vertically and 15 metres horizontally. Like a boundary throw-in. This is unprofessional. Other players try to kick to a target or a contest, to at least give their team a chance, but this is crazy. Cannot understand it and the coaches must try to design tactics to assist him.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Re: Clint Jones the Rainmaker...

'Unprofessional' is a great way to describe it, as Jones really comes across as a lazy, stubborn footballer who most probably doesn't work on his game... :roll:

Foz
Club Player

His handpass in the final quarter that got Milera the goal was also a nice handball rainmaker....they come in all forms and some are more effective than others!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

His skill is his endeavour not his disposal, I imagine he's instructed to dish off when he can and often those rainmakers are into the forward line where traditionally we have had some strength with Roo and Kosi. He will keep getting games because he has a strong ball winning ability, tags well and his second and third efforts are exemplary. He gets the ball moving forward quickly with run and compliments the rest of our mids.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

If u bothered to read my post,i did say he has a huge heart.Incredibly motivated. But kick and hope does his teammates no favours. "Unprofessional" is ONLY my take on his kicking, one aspect of his game. Just one. His running & 2nd & 3rd efforts are to be admi
red, geez if Gram was half as tough...

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: He will keep getting games because he has a strong ball winning ability, tags well and his second and third efforts are exemplary.
He's not getting much of the ball these days and I count one successful tagging job so far this year. He'd want to have good second and third efforts when he so often second to the ball or handballs to the opposition. Great guy who trains hard but he's costing the team on gameday.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

his ineffectiveness is overshadowed his clubmanship... has been for about 1.5years

he frequently destroys our counter attack by fumbling or spraying a pass and slowing us down

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Still clearly in our best 22. Some better find others to get rid of. Strange that we always seem to want to get rid of guys because we easily beat the Swans 2 weeks ago and I have read on here that we can only improve after the Tigers game and they played at their best. Some people must think we are clearly the best side in the AFL. Yes I know sides can be improved with changes but CJ isnt one of them. No obvious replecement. And it isnt Ledger because he is no where near ready to do the body work of CJ.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I think Leger is an obvious replacement but his tank capacity right now is probably the issue

“Yeah….nah””
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I have often been critical of Jones on here in the past, but I think that CJ has been a key player so far under Watters, and I have never been more impressed with his endeavour and impact. If I were coach, he'd be one of the first half a dozen selected each week at the moment. Sure, he kicks like a mule and his handpassing is shaky, but he makes up for this in a lot of other ways. He's at his best in the centre of the midfield playing a role not dissimilar to that Luke Ball has been playing at the Pies. He isn't quite as good as Luke Ball, but he's the nearest thing we've got at the moment.

Ledger isn't the same sort of player at all, but for some people on here he apparently walks on water in just about any role. (Ledger for ruckman, perhaps?)

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'd think about giving him a spell this week… The last time he 'tagged' Ablett, he had 40 possessions and kicked 2 goals… what the point… he had 52 last weekend, but at least Thomas hurt him the other way and was probably BOG.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I'd think about giving him a spell this week… The last time he 'tagged' Ablett, he had 40 possessions and kicked 2 goals… what the point… he had 52 last weekend, but at least Thomas hurt him the other way and was probably BOG.
I wouldn't bother tagging Ablett. Tag Bennell out of the game and let Ablett get his 50 touches.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I didn't see any vision of Ablett's game, but some of the commentators said Ablett's possessions were cheap and not effective. One former coach said: "he is nearly impossible to tackle, so you just let him have the ball and strangle the player who he's handballing or kicking to". So play tight on all the Suns, and when Ablett gets the ball, stop the nearest Suns players from getting a clean possession?

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Id be happy to let Gazza get 50 odd touches if he has nobody to kick it/handball it to he is stuffed.

I like Jones and the way he goes about the game. He will never be a silky skilled ball user but he more than makes up for it in other ways

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
paddy
Club Player

They have managed to work the game plan around his limits.... he always looks for a handball when he wins the ball, and a player always runs to him to support him, or take the ball...

he also moves to shepherd as soon as he passes the ball off, to help out his team mate....

works well, just look at his stats, compared to silky NDS, one has few handballs for a midfielder the other heaps....

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He is a crash and bash type, he's never going to be a rolls royce but Melbourne is an example of what you get when you have too many elite users and not getters. Clint is def the guy who is shepherding, running along side and blocking out the potential tackler etc. He is a workhorse player and is a cog in the machine type. Won't win brownlows but does what's needed.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He is a crash and bash type, he's never going to be a rolls royce but Melbourne is an example of what you get when you have too many elite users and not getters. Clint is def the guy who is shepherding, running along side and blocking out the potential tackler etc. He is a workhorse player and is a cog in the machine type. Won't win brownlows but does what's needed.
Who are all the 'elite users' at Melbourne?