Oz article on riewoldt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Oz article on riewoldt

Time for Saints to bite the bullet and push waning Nick Riewoldt forward

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/o ... 6299732999

As most people on this forum will know - this is something i have been advocating for 12 months now.

We cant expect Roo to cover the 12-14km per game anymore. He is no good on a wing so forget that fantasy. His only chance to stay alive as a player is to hit the gym more and bulk up and halve his running. Stay close to goal and try to hurt oppositions on the scoreboard. Sure grandmas and little kids love too ooh and ahh when he marks on the wing - but it doesnt hurt the opposition one bit when he does that.

We cant just do nothing and watch him decline. People thinking he is going to just keep doing what he used to do are kidding themselves.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 16 Mar 2012 5:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superstar
Club Player

Re: Oz articale on riewoldt

If roo went closer to goal, what would you do with kosi?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Superstar wrote:If roo went closer to goal, what would you do with kosi?
closer to the bench or the ruck.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Eery silence on this thread. Given it is probably the most important football issues facing the side right now - it seems people dont want to face realities and discuss it. Like the horror of contemplating Roos demise is too hurtful to face.

The Kosi/Roo fwd line is OVER people!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Oz article on riewoldt

Be nice if he could regain his goal kicking ability first.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Be nice if he could regain his goal kicking ability first.

regain it?
when did he have it?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Eery silence on this thread. Given it is probably the most important football issues facing the side right now - it seems people dont want to face realities and discuss it. Like the horror of contemplating Roos demise is too hurtful to face.

If you think that you are going to be very disappointed this year because both have to play forward.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Thank god Kozi has had a big pre season then!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Eery silence on this thread. Given it is probably the most important football issues facing the side right now - it seems people dont want to face realities and discuss it. Like the horror of contemplating Roos demise is too hurtful to face.

If you think that you are going to be very disappointed this year because both have to play forward.
ok. if thats the best we can do i accept it. but if thats the case we are heading for bottom 4.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

ok. if thats the best we can do i accept it. but if thats the case we are heading for bottom 4.
Siposs, Stanley, Saad and Milera will all be given chances.

But none have runs on the board. At the moment Roo/Kosi/Milne/Schneider is our best forward line. Maybe Siposs will take the league by storm this year. Probably not though.

The question is whether we are looking at 2012 or 2015?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
on the outer
Club Player

Riewoldt had a bad year last year was it an abberation or a reflection where he is really at. Not sure about the idea of bulking him up and turning him into a wrestling type power forward. He doesn't really strike me a a contested mark player he gets most of his marks on the long lead or the multiple lead and re lead when he burns off his oppenent, does he have the dna in him to change his style so radically.

I agree though him taking marks on the wing doesn't do much for the team, these days you dont want any player taking a spectaclular mark on the wing picking themselves up, dusting themselves off, going back over the mark while the opposition floods into your forward line.

smasherini
Club Player

Look back at how Matthew Richardson succeeded after being moved onto a wing...he went close to winning the brownlow.
I heard a commentator say on the weekend that we should play Nick at FF but give him a run on the wing to keep him in the game.I like that thought.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

smasherini wrote:Look back at how Matthew Richardson succeeded after being moved onto a wing...he went close to winning the brownlow.
I heard a commentator say on the weekend that we should play Nick at FF but give him a run on the wing to keep him in the game.I like that thought.
I agree Richo and Roo are similar players - problem is Roos knee is stuffed so he cant cover the ground.
id also ask - whilst Richos move to the wing helped him personally - how did the Tigers go as a team?
Sure Nick (and Richo) - both favourites of granmas and little kids when they run up and take a mark on the wing and they the fans can clap and ooh and ahh. Meanwhile the opposition just flood back behind the next kick and clear it straight back over their heads. Speccy high marks on the wing are great for the fans and the brownlow votes - but a complete waste of time for trying to actually win a game. If Roo cant do damage on the scoreboard - then hes really not worth having in the side.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
smasherini wrote:Look back at how Matthew Richardson succeeded after being moved onto a wing...he went close to winning the brownlow.
I agree Richo and Roo are similar players - problem is Roos knee is stuffed so he cant cover the ground.
id also ask - whilst Richos move to the wing helped him personally - how did the Tigers go as a team?
Sure Nick (and Richo) - both favourites of granmas and little kids when they run up and take a mark on the wing and they the fans can clap and ooh and ahh. Meanwhile the opposition just flood back behind the next kick and clear it straight back over their heads. Speccy high marks on the wing are great for the fans and the brownlow votes - but a complete waste of time for trying to actually win a game. If Roo cant do damage on the scoreboard - then hes really not worth having in the side.
That is a somewhat silly thing to say. Did Geelong and Collingwood have 22 players better than Riewoldt last season?
That is what you are talking about even Roo at his worst is still in our top dozen players.
So to say we shouldn't play him because he is not as good as he used to be is being disingenuous at best.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
That is a somewhat silly thing to say. Did Geelong and Collingwood have 22 players better than Riewoldt last season?
That is what you are talking about even Roo at his worst is still in our top dozen players.
So to say we shouldn't play him because he is not as good as he used to be is being disingenuous at best.
i didnt say that. i think he can play a diminished but effective role. rather than a dimished and ineffective one.
ok - hes not as good. but if he kicks 2 goals a game im happy. hes done his job.
(when he was at his peak he was probably 'worth' 5 goals a game with his marking).
but im saying i wouldnt play him on the wing because he is not in our best 2 wingmen.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote: i didnt say that. i think he can play a diminished but effective role. rather than a dimished and ineffective one.
ok - hes not as good. but if he kicks 2 goals a game im happy. hes done his job.
(when he was at his peak he was probably 'worth' 5 goals a game with his marking).
but im saying i wouldnt play him on the wing because he is not in our best 2 wingmen.
OK, I stand corrected. I agree with your opinion in regards to playing him on the wing. While I think he could do it I think we have better options.
However, the article here stated that he had a direct impact on three of our seven goals and that was in a roaming role rather than a full time forward.
Roo plays his best football in a roaming role but I believe his body will not allow him to do that so he may be forced to be a stay at home forward.
If that is the case we need to improve our disposal dramatically to make delivery to him and the other forwards effective.
If he is a stay at home forward he is not a pack cruncher.

sainter#4
Club Player

for nick to be a strong player this year,it has nothing to do with how he plays as a forward.

its one simple aspect of execution from our guys - The 15-30 meter pass or the spot up pass.

you hit him on the chest with that we are a different machine, based on the fact nick will beat his man on the lead EVERYTIME.

the amount of times last year we hit it wide or over his head or too his feet was unbelievable.

that part of our game was amazing in 09-10 and its something we need to have down pat this year to be a chance, as it keeps backlines honest and they cant zone off and crunch nick and take the mark and rebound

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Most important thing will be his mental state.
If he looks like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders, he and by consequence we are in deep poo.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

sainter#4 wrote: The 15-30 meter pass or the spot up pass.
The R.Harvey Pass..

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
The R.Harvey Pass..
true. harves 30m passes were so good. nicely weighted.
and the winmar to lockett 35-40m pass. ooooooooohhhhhhhhh yes! they were sweet.

these days mostly roo has to put up with helicopters, floaters, wide balls, air balls, sky balls and all sorts of junk balls!

sainter#4
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
The R.Harvey Pass..
true. harves 30m passes were so good. nicely weighted.
and the winmar to lockett 35-40m pass. ooooooooohhhhhhhhh yes! they were sweet.

these days mostly roo has to put up with helicopters, floaters, wide balls, air balls, sky balls and all sorts of junk balls!

well to put this one pass in context, the hawks attacking side of their gameplan, revolves around passing the ball 15-30meters to an open player. they continuously do this and are patient in their entire build up working their way through the zones/press. Its the way forward in the current game IMO.

so we ether hope dal and goddard get the ball 20+ times forward of the centre, or rebuild and develop a list that can all kick and run.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

interestingly roo reckons the opposite of this article and that he will play more time upfield.

i really hope he gets over ruled on this. the club shouldnt be the nick riewoldt show.

id rather see him get the ball 3 times per match and kick 3 goals than get it 14 times taking speccies on the wing.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Roo's conversion rate even real close in is not great.
Imagine his confidence levels would plummet if he missed a couple from inide 30m in the first quarter.
By playing him up the ground his goals become a bonus not his sole purpose.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Roo's conversion rate even real close in is not great.
Imagine his confidence levels would plummet if he missed a couple from inide 30m in the first quarter.
By playing him up the ground his goals become a bonus not his sole purpose.

So now he is playing up the ground so he keeps his confidence. Is this the same guy who has won 5 B&F and still always pretty much kicked the same. Imagine if he had some confidence.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Don't reckon his Yips were quite as bad as last year when he was winning B&Fs
Not sure if problem is physical or mental.
Don't you think it might freshen his outlook up, to not be the main avenue to goal?