Doomsdayers, Naysayers, Worry Warts, The Sky is falling...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Doomsdayers, Naysayers, Worry Warts, The Sky is falling...

Please post here. :shock:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Re: Doomsdayers, Naysayers, Worry Warts, The Sky is falling.

We're all smart enough to know that game means enough as last week... aren't we?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:We're all smart enough to know that game means enough as last week... aren't we?

:wink:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I worry the commentator may get something right,
Lenny off, no he's not
Peakey back, no he's not he's subbed

And several others

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Moods
Saintsational Legend

We were crap

8-)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Hot night against a team that live there and are hence more acclimatised. Older players looked to be not going too hard.

The younger players went in harder on the whole.

Plus a new gameplan that they are still trying to learn.

Onlya NAB game...so I would not be getting too worried yet.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
AP Erebus
Club Player

couldn't give two s***s about the result.

Match practice, no injuries, seeing the kids play.

All that matters.

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Correct, the score doesn't matter. Senior players got extra game time (Kosi good early). Some of the younger guys got a run (Stanley showed a bit).

But ....... couldn't see a changed game plan. Delivery dreadful as usual into the forward 50. Scratchy play all night by the Saints. No-one stood out as a "big improver." Rooey still played 2 or 3 - up. West Coast seemed to run freely, but we were always under pressure.

Watters should be worried about our efficiency/ effectiveness tonight. West Coast had some big names out tonight.

Port Adelaide apparantly played very well in their game. A huge amount of improvement needed for the first premiership points match - here's hoping !!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

"I'm not too worried about it."

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Yes
The moderators need to add a fifth forum titled something like " saints are hopeless " where posters can go and bag the players and the club .
Its only a preseason game FFS , our first full hitout of the year on a 40 degree in perth , against a good side well aclimatised to the heat as they have'nt had to travel .
lets see how we follow up next week against the pies , you gotta love the afl for giving us not even a six day turn around as the game is scheduled for 4 pm friday

In red white and black from 73
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:Yes
The moderators need to add a fifth forum titled something like " saints are hopeless " where posters can go and bag the players and the club .
Its only a preseason game FFS , our first full hitout of the year on a 40 degree in perth , against a good side well aclimatised to the heat as they have'nt had to travel .
lets see how we follow up next week against the pies , you gotta love the afl for giving us not even a six day turn around as the game is scheduled for 4 pm friday
Dont see where people are bagging players? Is it because you cant handle when your perfect little team or player gets criticised.

In Saying that.. This is Nab Cup. I dont have high expectations this year so im not to surprised.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

we are the worst team in the afl. we will finish dead last and be relegated to the vfl. too old. too short. too slow. cant kick. cant take a contested mark. all our guns are washed up and our kids are no good or not ready.

there u go - i got it out of the system in one go.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Bottom 4 this year has been my prediction for a while now. Look at without rose coloured glasses.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who believes it won't take the players a few games to learn to play the way Watters wants them to is kidding themselves, surely.

The ruck is easily our biggest concern in 2012. We won't be up against Cox and NicNat every week, but we are rarely if ever going to come out on top in the hitout stats. Therefore Lenny - one of the all-time greats at stoppages - is crucial IMO. Can he regain his old form for 1-2 more seasons? It's a big ask, but Lenny is one in a thousand.

We also looked like we needed more run coming out of defence. I sense that Raph remains at the club under sufferance, but there could be a role for him here. And, of course, BJ only had a light training run. He will be critically important this year: he needs to go far better than he did in 2011.

All is not lost, but we have never been as dependent on our star players as we will be this year.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I still shudder whenever CJ gets the ball. Some of his up and away kicks reminded me of under 10's footy.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'm not wearing Rosie's, i'm not bagging the players but there may be some deficiencies in our team that will be exposed by the
better teams in the comp. As the season unfolds the team's performance will be telling all of US where they're at...

Can't wait for some answers......

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Anyone who believes it won't take the players a few games to learn to play the way Watters wants them to is kidding themselves, surely.

The ruck is easily our biggest concern in 2012. We won't be up against Cox and NicNat every week, but we are rarely if ever going to come out on top in the hitout stats. Therefore Lenny - one of the all-time greats at stoppages - is crucial IMO. Can he regain his old form for 1-2 more seasons? It's a big ask, but Lenny is one in a thousand.

We also looked like we needed more run coming out of defence. I sense that Raph remains at the club under sufferance, but there could be a role for him here. And, of course, BJ only had a light training run. He will be critically important this year: he needs to go far better than he did in 2011.

All is not lost, but we have never been as dependent on our star player as we will be this year.
It is generrally considereded that it takes 12 to 18 months for a team to adapt to a new game plan. Geelong won the flag last year but most armchair experts could tell you that Scott was just along for the ride and didn't really change the game plan at all. Now if Saints supporters argue that we could do the same then they are kidding themselves because history will tell us that our old game plan PLUS the players available to executed it have proved it wasn't capable of delivering the ultimate success. So it has to change one would think, OR, we need some quality to surface pretty quickly with the list we currently have. This IMO will be one of the fundamental issues this season because we have problems at every line accross the field. The full back and full forward postion are up for grabs, and we are short of one or two elite in the middle including the ruck unless we find a full forward and can then get a good combo with Kosi and Mac. I'm hopeful because I'm a Saints supporter and that is what we are made of but if you look at it objectively then you have to admit we are no chance of getting anywhere near a flag any time soon.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
meher baba wrote:Anyone who believes it won't take the players a few games to learn to play the way Watters wants them to is kidding themselves, surely.

All is not lost, but we have never been as dependent on our star player as we will be this year.
It is generrally considereded that it takes 12 to 18 months for a team to adapt to a new game plan. Geelong won the flag last year but most armchair experts could tell you that Scott was just along for the ride and didn't really change the game plan at all. Now if Saints supporters argue that we could do the same then they are kidding themselves because history will tell us that our old game plan PLUS the players available to executed it have proved it wasn't capable of delivering the ultimate success. So it has to change one would think, OR, we need some quality to surface pretty quickly with the list we currently have. This IMO will be one of the fundamental issues this season because we have problems at every line accross the field. The full back and full forward postion are up for grabs, and we are short of one or two elite in the middle including the ruck unless we find a full forward and can then get a good combo with Kosi and Mac. I'm hopeful because I'm a Saints supporter and that is what we are made of but if you look at it objectively then you have to admit we are no chance of getting anywhere near a flag any time soon.

We cant compare us to Geelong because they have won a flag previously but those armchair experts you have been talking too are wrong. He did change the game plan and but a fair bit. Certainly as much as Watters will be looking to change our game plan. It may come down to our type of player just not being good enough to compete for a GF in the near future. Who would know aftera couple of practice games. We have a great draw early and if we dont take advantage of it then the year and the window IMO is over. However I expect us to be able to take advantage of it but to those couple of people who said the first game is a walkover well they are looking pretty silly at the moment especially if they took the odds on offer 3 weeks ago. I am sure they would get much better now.

yipper
SS Life Member

Malthouse reckons we will challenge for top 4, Watters will get the team to gel and with our hunger and experience we will be there. Given he has a fair idea of what it takes - I will accept his preview over our online " experts" views. Don't think much of Mick as a bloke - from my distant view - but cannot question his football smarts.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Although I didn't like much of what I saw last night…

For a little perspective,

Richmond thrashed Geelong,
Brisbane held Carlton scoreless for a half in a ten goal thrashing,
and Adelaide flogged Collingwood,

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

One thing I don't think anyone could argue about, that came out of last nights game. We were very rusty. Much improvement to come. Plenty of upside.

Another 2 things that never change coming into a new season.

1. Jones's kicking doesn't get any better. In fact it may have got worse. :roll:
2. What's with Roo's hair again? :shock:

We will see a different performance come round 1. Mark my words. Stop stressing out. :) :) :)

yipper wrote:Malthouse reckons we will challenge for top 4, Watters will get the team to gel and with our hunger and experience we will be there. Given he has a fair idea of what it takes - I will accept his preview over our online " experts" views. Don't think much of Mick as a bloke - from my distant view - but cannot question his football smarts.
But Jake Niall reckons we will finish 10th.

:cry:

yipper
SS Life Member

tweedaletomanning wrote:
yipper wrote:Malthouse reckons we will challenge for top 4, Watters will get the team to gel and with our hunger and experience we will be there. Given he has a fair idea of what it takes - I will accept his preview over our online " experts" views. Don't think much of Mick as a bloke - from my distant view - but cannot question his football smarts.

True. Hmmmm - tough one... Mick Maltshake played in 1 flag, coached 3 flags been a pretty decent old coach over the years. Mr Jake Niall - 0 flags at AFL level, 0 games AFL level, and played footy for Manangatang 3rds was it???? dunno - but personally will go with the views of a bloke who has been around the odd AFL flag over the years.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

We cant compare us to Geelong because they have won a flag previously but those armchair experts you have been talking too are wrong. He did change the game plan and but a fair bit. Certainly as much as Watters will be looking to change our game plan. It may come down to our type of player just not being good enough to compete for a GF in the near future. Who would know aftera couple of practice games. We have a great draw early and if we dont take advantage of it then the year and the window IMO is over. However I expect us to be able to take advantage of it but to those couple of people who said the first game is a walkover well they are looking pretty silly at the moment especially if they took the odds on offer 3 weeks ago. I am sure they would get much better now.
So we are on the same page then as it would appear we agreee that amongst other issues it will come down to our players and we are a few good men short of being able to compete for a flag. I also aggree that unless we take advantage of some things like a seemingly good draw then it would appear the window has shut. It would also appear that you are convinced that SW will change the game plan and that that being the case it will take some getting used-to unless ofcoarse we can emulate what Geelong did last year when Scott came in and changed the game plan quite dramatically to which his players immediately adapted and won a flag from. Amazing. They truly are the best team ever. Even better than the Lions of 01/02/03. I also aggree that you can't compare us to Geelong.
Last edited by Cairnsman on Sun 11 Mar 2012 3:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:

True. Hmmmm - tough one... Mick Maltshake played in 1 flag, coached 3 flags been a pretty decent old coach over the years. Mr Jake Niall - 0 flags at AFL level, 0 games AFL level, and played footy for Manangatang 3rds was it???? dunno - but personally will go with the views of a bloke who has been around the odd AFL flag over the years.
Why would you even care who thinks what?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93