The 10am news bulletin on SEN today (Monday)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

End Of An Era
Club Player

The 10am news bulletin on SEN today (Monday)

They reported that one of Chris Scott's ideas was that he would have to have at least 4 players in the side every week with fewer than 50 games. What a masterstroke this was. If only Lyon had employed this over the last few years. You would expect that Walsh and Stanley would be ready to go with a fair bit of experience under their belts. Instead of still being an unknown quantity!! :roll: :roll: :evil: :evil:

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Re: The 10am news bulletin on SEN today (Monday)

End Of An Era wrote:They reported that one of Chris Scott's ideas was that he would have to have at least 4 players in the side every week with fewer than 50 games. What a masterstroke this was. If only Lyon had employed this over the last few years. You would expect that Walsh and Stanley would be ready to go with a fair bit of experience under their belts. Instead of still being an unknown quantity!! :roll: :roll: :evil: :evil:
A gutsy call from Scott. One that paid off in the end but could have very easily gone sour for their 2011 chances.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
dragit
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:They reported that one of Chris Scott's ideas was that he would have to have at least 4 players in the side every week with fewer than 50 games. What a masterstroke this was. If only Lyon had employed this over the last few years. You would expect that Walsh and Stanley would be ready to go with a fair bit of experience under their belts. Instead of still being an unknown quantity!! :roll: :roll: :evil: :evil:
are you still here?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If we were to follow the same policy we would have Armitage, Steven, Mcevoy, and one space for a real youngster.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Their four youngsters in the Grand Final included Podsiadally 27 and West 23. Christensen and Duncan were the only players under 23.

Our team against Sydney was younger and less experienced.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
ThePunter
Club Player

J-Pod is 30 years old.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

My bad :oops:

I started looking at players with less than 100 games and it included Lonergan who is 27.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
degruch
Saintsational Legend

I think you're reading it the wrong way...Scott was sure the team he had could carry these players each week - that would make more sense. Besides, as pointed out, he hardly gave 4 teenagers a run each week.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

What I get out of this, is that the entire Club bought into this plan, from the top down.

You can go a long way with changes, when everyone is supportive !

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon 'allowed' our young kids 40 minutes per week to train with the senior list
40 minutes
Fact

#1 Ryder fan
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Ross Lyon 'allowed' our young kids 40 minutes per week to train with the senior list
40 minutes
Fact
They actually did more training than most senior players as they have development training as well. And also after the NZ incident they had to work or go to school so they didnt have any spare time at all.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:Ross Lyon 'allowed' our young kids 40 minutes per week to train with the senior list
40 minutes
Fact
Ross Lyon wanted to fast-track our young kids' training and development by having our own reserves team like Geelong do.
Like Collingwood do.
Fact.

Buckets
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
40 minutes
Fact
They actually did more training than most senior players as they have development training as well. And also after the NZ incident they had to work or go to school so they didnt have any spare time at all.
The question though Plugger would be why 40 minutes? Why have that separation between the young blokes and the main squad?

Surely better for the development of the young blokes is to actually work beside the more experienced teammates?

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
40 minutes
Fact
The question though Plugger would be why 40 minutes? Why have that separation between the young blokes and the main squad?

Surely better for the development of the young blokes is to actually work beside the more experienced teammates?
Well my understanding is that isnt right. They trained with the main squad twice a week if their studies or job allowed which it usually did as it was flexible.

Buckets
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Buckets wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
40 minutes
Fact

Well my understanding is that isnt right. They trained with the main squad twice a week if their studies or job allowed which it usually did as it was flexible.
If they are contracted by the club as fulltime footballers then there would be no excuse as to not turning up to train. Jobs and schooling (with the exception of Yr 12) would take second preference. After all their main profession once drafted would be to work for the StKFC...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Buckets wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
40 minutes
Fact

If they are contracted by the club as fulltime footballers then there would be no excuse as to not turning up to train. Jobs and schooling (with the exception of Yr 12) would take second preference. After all their main profession once drafted would be to work for the StKFC...
And as I said they train twice a week withy the main squad as most of things they do are flexible. Sometimes the squad only trains once a week due to 6 day breaks.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Fair enough.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

judas didn't have the balls to do that...it is quite evident now that he only coached for his win loss record and not to lose.....never coached to develop players or to put a bit of flair into the team.....good riddance to the prick.... :evil:

...just image what we could have done and now can do with a decent coach ffs

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Development gold

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

40 minutes
Fact
Before he blew his whistle and ordered them away :wink:

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Trust me 40 minutes with the seniors per week

#1 Ryder fan
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Trust me 40 minutes with the seniors per week
Not correct and can be backed up by people who go to training.

dartos
Club Player

I imagine that Mark Harvey used more players under 50 games than anyone else! Obviously because of circumstances. I really think it sounds like a reasonable move.

I imagine what would happen on this forum if we dropped couple of regulars to make way for the youngsters some would be so happy and others would
Be up in arms. I do think we have made a mistake iplaying youngsters in the past when their bodies are not ready for the heavy bumps.

And I agree that we really do need a reserves team and as much as luv the zebras. It is hard to get them to play or not play our players.

I am showing my age but I loved when Jack Clarke took over the reserves in the early eighties and sometimes wouldn't play the first players who were dropped and made the Reserves a great team and instilled a bit of professionalism.

So who knows what would have happened?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:They reported that one of Chris Scott's ideas was that he would have to have at least 4 players in the side every week with fewer than 50 games. What a masterstroke this was. If only Lyon had employed this :
Are you sure that he did not?

This year game totals are:

Ben: 53
Geary: 52
Armo: 50
Gamble: 35
Eddy 33:
Steven 30

Then a number of younger players with 9 or less.

With Zac on 77 and Gwilt on 82 I would suspect that fairly often the Saints would have had 4 players with 50 or less.

Now not saying tat we should not have over the three years developed a few more kids...but I just do not think the started goal is that high a bar.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

So we're all buying into a thread started by a troll. Great. I'm so proud of you all.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.