Can someone clarify any of the following?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Can someone clarify any of the following?

I'm after anything official... or even media reports that:

- Lyon and the club agreed to put contract talks off until end of the season
- Lyon had considered quitting in the off season

thanks for your help

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Can someone clarify any of the following?

skeptic wrote:I'm after anything official... or even media reports that:

thanks for your help
I heard the first a couple of times

Both Lyon and Nettelfold catergorically deny the second point. Dosen't mean it's not true though.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Can someone clarify any of the following?

skeptic wrote:I'm after anything official... or even media reports that:

thanks for your help
Well, Lyin's friends Walls and Roos both indicated earlier in the year that Lyin' might walk over the "scandals". I chose not to believe it at the time; now I think it might have been a ploy to get a pay-rise. Similarly, where did the news that Melbourne was offering him big bucks come from? Garry Lyon now insists it's not true. So was this another ploy to up his market-value?

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

The fact that Lyon was broke and had to sell his house to pay debts late last year and/or early this year gives a bit of an insight into why Ross wanted his contract varied in April of this year. Wanted more money to help him with his financial survival - in other words for the Club to assist him with his financial incompetance. Surely, on $400K to $500K (I'm guessing) per year, you would think he would be better managed financially.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
philtee
Club Player

In today's Age, Lyon directly rebuts the idea that off-field incidents may have caused him to walk -

"The coach also refuted rumours he considered walking out on St Kilda early this year after four players found trouble on a trip to New Zealand and were suspended for breaking a curfew.

That came on the back of the so-called "St Kilda schoolgirl" scandal, in which nude photographs of several players were published on the internet.

"No, (that's) inaccurate. I was never going to abandon my players. I was disappointed that it was suggested I left because of off-field (incidents)," he said."

westy
Club Player

If anyone hasn't seen it yet this article is interesting

I'm livin' in a madhouse
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Point 1 - YES Definitely

Point 2 - No.

Austinnn
Club Player

Very interesting read westy, thanks for posting. After all the hysteria, emotion, panic and anger subsides, its good to read the thoughts of a man I refuse to hate.

The decision makers at St Kilda had the option to keep him and Misson if they were desperate to hang onto him, but if they had set financial limits and stuck by those limits, then I suppose that's commendable. If they decided not to put the club in a bad position financially to chase success, if they thought they could retreat and reload and try again in a few years then I suppose that's good work. We can't let the club's desperation for success effect business decisions, you can't run anything well that way.

It's a shame it didn't happen with these players, but they're all accountable. Last two Grand Finals we could have won, this year could have gone a lot better if the players had made better decisions, so no-one's an innocent victim here. They all had their chance, which is more than a lot of players get.

That's not to say it can't happen with them, but that's probably Lyon's rationale for giving them this setback.

The club feel that they are strong enough to survive a regime change, so maybe things aren't so bad. Don't listen to the media vultures, think about it from the club's point of view. They weren't prepared to 'do whatever it takes' to keep Lyon happy, if he really bled for the club, he'd make sacrifices, if not, he'd move on and leave us to focus on mounting another challenge with a fresh approach.

Lyon said he'd change the gameplan, but nothing changed much and other clubs have it sussed, so maybe rather than flogging a dead horse, the club wanted to get started on the future now.

Yesterday I was considering sacking everyone, today I'm a lot more reflective and balanced. (lucky I'm not running the club!) Less panic, more pragmatism. The club might take a few punches in the media, but true believers and strong of heart will stick by us.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone