Lazar Vidovic in 1997

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Lazar Vidovic in 1997

On Finey's program tonight they are discussing famous last games for individual players.

Finey brought up Vidovic doing his knee (14 years ago on Wednesday) in R22 1997, saying that it was a sad end to a career he planned to finish going out swinging four weeks later.

My question is, would Lazar have actually done what he has said he would, take out a few Crows and take us a long way towards what would have been a second premiership?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
degruch
Saintsational Legend

I've got no doubt...he was a lunatic. Thank gawd he was our lunatic.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lazar Vidovic in 1997

dcstkfc wrote:On Finey's program tonight they are discussing famous last games for individual players.

Finey brought up Vidovic doing his knee (14 years ago on Wednesday) in R22 1997, saying that it was a sad end to a career he planned to finish going out swinging four weeks later.

My question is, would Lazar have actually done what he has said he would, take out a few Crows and take us a long way towards what would have been a second premiership?
What a stupid thing to say. Did you see any games in 1997? Lazar would only have "taken out" players in the GF by beating them in the ruck. He was, in that year, the best "ruck and run back and help the backline" player in the AFL. This worked well because we had the best "take the ruck and run forward" player in the AFL - Spider. As it turned out, neither was available in the GF. End of thought, end of argument.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Joel Smith, Vidovic and Everitt going down cost us dearly. A certain flag missed!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Modra and riccutio could play a bit too

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:On Finey's program tonight they are discussing famous last games for individual players.

What a stupid thing to say. Did you see any games in 1997? Lazar would only have "taken out" players in the GF by beating them in the ruck. He was, in that year, the best "ruck and run back and help the backline" player in the AFL. This worked well because we had the best "take the ruck and run forward" player in the AFL - Spider. As it turned out, neither was available in the GF. End of thought, end of argument.
Lazar has said it himself though.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
degruch
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Modra and riccutio could play a bit too
Riccutio might have, but Riccuto didn't play in the 1997 GF.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
That's the point of the post. Neither did Modra.

Shane Ellen did though :cry:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
degruch wrote:

Neither did Riccutio..

Did Lazar Vidovic play?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:Joel Smith, Vidovic and Everitt going down cost us dearly. A certain flag missed!
How true you are..Lazar was showing good form in the ruck as was Everitt, and Smith was always capable of kicking goals when needed.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
degruch wrote:

Neither did Riccutio..

Did Lazar Vidovic play?

I thought he did play, but without spider he strugggled against wren. I stand to be corrected on that though

I love this club
spert
Saintsational Legend

Nah Lazar didn't play, and Bret ? someone came in as ruck, but he had no chance against the Adelaide talls, another coulda been premiership

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Nah Lazar didn't play, and Bret ? someone came in as ruck, but he had no chance against the Adelaide talls, another coulda been premiership
Brett Cook - ex Fitzroy.

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

Shaun Rehn. :shock: May have been a bird brain but spelt his name differently. :D

No Lazar did not play as mentioned above. A big loss. Spider out too. Ruck job fell to a young fella by the name of Cook. Battled hard and did well in lead up games but out-classed in the GF. :oops:

We can beat Adeleaide for the next 10 yearw and not make up for the day they stole our fairytale. :evil:

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Hawkesbury Saint wrote:Shaun Rehn. :shock: May have been a bird brain but spelt his name differently. :D

No Lazar did not play as mentioned above. A big loss. Spider out too. Ruck job fell to a young fella by the name of Cook. Battled hard and did well in lead up games but out-classed in the GF. :oops:

We can beat Adeleaide for the next 10 yearw and not make up for the day they stole our fairytale. :evil:
Must be my memory then as I thought lazar played, maybe it's just to traumatic to recall

I love this club
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
Hawkesbury Saint wrote:Shaun Rehn. :shock: May have been a bird brain but spelt his name differently. :D

Must be my memory then as I thought lazar played, maybe it's just to traumatic to recall
Sorry...definitely didn't play. Neither did Modra, Riccuto or Riccutio

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:

Two Riccuto's massive outs 8-)

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
degruch wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:

Two Riccuto's massive outs 8-)
I am too subtle for my own good.

Rosco
Club Player

none of the above played

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/game ... 70927.html (if you dare)

shane ellen's 5 goals were the only goals he kicked that year

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote: My question is, would Lazar have actually done what he has said he would, take out a few Crows and take us a long way towards what would have been a second premiership?
yes - has told many people he would have taken out Rehn and gone down and knocked out Jarman if he was playing in the 1997 GF.

It would have been brutal and would have tarnished the Saints the way the Greening incident has.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
He dreams that he would have, but I doubt it very much and we will never know.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:none of the above played

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/game ... 70927.html (if you dare)

shane ellen's 5 goals were the only goals he kicked that year
Aaron Keating got zero posessions.

Troy Bond was a hack. :evil:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
jack
Club Player

Can anyone else remember the news letter that one of the supporter groups used to hand out in the old days at Waverley. It was early in 1997 and they had an interview with Lazar in the publication. In the interview lazar said that if he ever got to play his last game in a Grand final, he would guarantee that the send off rule would be brought in the next year.

In my opinion, if Laser had off played in the Grand Final that year, we would have won.

when you judge someone,
You don't define them,
You define yourself.
mcadam05
Club Player

jack wrote:Can anyone else remember the news letter that one of the supporter groups used to hand out in the old days at Waverley. It was early in 1997 and they had an interview with Lazar in the publication. In the interview lazar said that if he ever got to play his last game in a Grand final, he would guarantee that the send off rule would be brought in the next year.

In my opinion, if Laser had off played in the Grand Final that year, we would have won.
you mean this ;)

mcadam05
Club Player

and this -

ENJOY!