Top 6

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Top 6

We could end up 5th or 6th and get a home final versus Freo or the Swans (anyone but essendon).

5th will be hard to reach with the eagles playing good footy. But the Swans are vulnerable at 5th and the Hawks could be in serious injury trouble.
That would mean copping eagles or hawks in week 2 . Both winnable.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

More likely to end up bottom 4 IMO...

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Re: Top 6

Con Gorozidis wrote:We could end up 5th or 6th and get a home final versus Freo or the Swans (anyone but essendon).

5th will be hard to reach with the eagles playing good footy. But the Swans are vulnerable at 5th and the Hawks could be in serious injury trouble.
That would mean copping eagles or hawks in week 2 . Both winnable.
That'd be nice if we get there whilst getting games into the kids: Sippos, Ledger, Lynch, Walsh etc. It would be good for those kids to get exposure to finals footy. Other than that, what would be the point? We're not a premiership contender in 2011.

doppler effect
Club Player

hahaha, you very funny guy. :lol:

If we make finals we will just scrape into 8th. And I have no doubt that if we are in 8th then 7th, 6th and 5th will be Sydney, Freo and West Coast respectively. Either way we'll be playing an interstate final straight up.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

doppler effect wrote:hahaha, you very funny guy. :lol:

If we make finals we will just scrape into 8th. And I have no doubt that if we are in 8th then 7th, 6th and 5th will be Sydney, Freo and West Coast respectively. Either way we'll be playing an interstate final straight up.
id rather end up 14th than 8th.

So I reckon we make a call in a few weeks. If we cant get 5th or 6th we should put the cue in the rack and play kids and get a good draft pick.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

So I reckon we make a call in a few weeks. If we cant get 5th or 6th we should put the cue in the rack and play kids and get a good draft pick.
I have asked this many times but still havent got an answer. Why is better to finish 14th than 8th?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I have asked this many times but still havent got an answer. Why is better to finish 14th than 8th?
Answer: It isn't 8-)

doppler effect
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote: id rather end up 14th than 8th.

Actually, come to think of it there is still another 11 rounds to go. 5th or 6th isn't out of reach. We should hold on to the cue, put a few more dollars on the table and buy another round. The night is still young.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

cos 8th pick is better that 14th in the draft.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

cos 8th pick is better that 14th in the draft.
I take it you mean the other way round. However that is more likely not to help us for at least 3 to 4 years where as young guys having finals experience may help us next year. Also 8 wins this year will mean we are no hope next year. 12 wins may still mean we are no hope next year but we may be more of a hope. And finally for the clubs finances it is better to finish higher up the ladder.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

cos 8th selection is better that 14th selection in the draft.
I take it you mean the other way round. However that is more likely not to help us for at least 3 to 4 years where as young guys having finals experience may help us next year. Also 8 wins this year will mean we are no hope next year. 12 wins may still mean we are no hope next year but we may be more of a hope. And finally for the clubs finances it is better to finish higher up the ladder.
i meant selection 8 is better that 14)...

finishing 8th is just no mans land. I dont want end up like Richmond. Perennial 9th.

Re clubs finances - supporters trade in hope - so a low finish where we are publicly playing kids should not upset fans/finances. Playing boring negative footy and scraping into 8th will be worse for our finances than playing exciting kids and having some losses.

I think the system encourages the tank. We need to milk the system.
Thats the difference between say an eagles culture and a tigers culture. Eagles know they can have a few lean years but they are in the comp to win flags. Not faff around coming 8th.

Mind you if we had a young list the demons finishing 8th and getting finals experience would be great.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 22 Jun 2011 8:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

cos 8th selection is better that 14th selection in the draft.
i meant selection 8 is better that 14)...

finishing 8th is just no mans land. I dont want end up like Richmond. Perennial 9th.

Re clubs finances - supporters trade in hope - so a low finish where we are publicly playing kids should not upset fans/finances. Playing boring negative footy and scraping into 8th will be worse for our finances than playing exciting kids and having some losses.

I think the system encourages the tank. We need to milk the system.
Thats the difference between say an eagles culture and a tigers culture. Eagles know they can have a few lean years but they are in the comp to win flags. Not faff around coming 8th.
Yep 9th is no good because you dont play finals. 8th does though and gives experience to young guys. Agree with your point about boring footy. We copped a bit on SEN today about our footy. I still would choose finals over 14th however once our run has finished I am all for finishing in the bottom couple for 2 or so years. I am just not ready yet.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i'd take 8th over any position below that - finals experience is invaluable.
of course if ross suddenly went conservative i might be pissed.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

8th pick should be better than 14th , i'm not sure the Saints can prove that with their recruiting....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I'd much rather play finals. We could win one. Win two, and all of a sudden we're not far away at all. It only takes a few little tweaks after that. Much better to finish as high on the ladder as possible this year.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote:i'd take 8th over any position below that - finals experience is invaluable.
of course if ross suddenly went conservative i might be pissed.
Off course 8th is better than 9th or below - don't know what part of that is so hard to understand - not to mention how would you know 5 picks earlier DP is going to be a better player....

They want to win as many games as possible, surely for players, sponsors and supporters :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Clearly, the GF is out of our reach this year. What then? We need to play the younger guys to see what they look like at AFL level, but be sensible with selection. If we make the 8, a taste of finals experience would be great for the young guys. I don't see too much difference between, say pick 14 and pick 8 in what will be a compromised draft.

The question is, do we "hang on" this year, for the best result we can get
(a low final 8 position), or get a look at the new players we have, so that "intelligent" decisions can be made about who we keep and who we move on next year. :roll:

Grantaire
Opposition Fan

Have to agree with Plugger et al who would rather sneaking into the eight than 14th. It would mean it's been a big turnaround from your boys (which would have positive implications for next year). Also, this year is not one where you want to be bottoming out.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I guess you need to look at who is going to make it hard for us.

We are challenging all of North, Richmond, Essendon and Freo for the remaining spots IMO.

Essendon have a very hard month or so of footy, same as the Dogs, Richmond quite an easy run, ours is quite ok.

widereceiver
Club Player

If we don't finish 1st., it's all a bit academic to me.

I don't agree with the theory that getting flogged in a final is a good way to blood young players for finals experience.

If I recall Alves' tenure it was a prelude to him getting the flick.
If I recall GT's tenure it was a prelude to him getting the sandshoe as well.

Both times Melbourne.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
wasaintsfan
Club Player

our season is over so tank? Whos to say we cant finish top 8 and the players refind their hunger once making finals?

I personally dnt know how to read our season. We show glimpses. Vs hawks, vs collingwood, vs carlton, vs geelong. Then stop? Cant kick 5 in 1st and then nothing surely

scrape in and we could still make gf. Could even get most teams offguard.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:[I have asked this many times but still havent got an answer. Why is better to finish 14th than 8th?
Ill give u a concrete example plugger:

Newsflash:
On 1 October Travis Boak announces his intention to move home to Melbourne for family reasons. Boak states he will not enter the draft and has instructed his club Port Adelaide to seek a suitable trade. Port Adelaide have agreed to this request.

All Victorian clubs are interested.
The lowest finishing Victorian club has the trump card. St Kilda - after finishing 8th have the 15th draft selection. The Bulldogs - after finishing 14th have the 8th draft pick (and the highest for a Victorian club).

Result:
Boak goes to Bulldogs.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:[I have asked this many times but still havent got an answer. Why is better to finish 14th than 8th?

Newsflash:
On 1 October Travis Boak announces his intention to move home to Melbourne for family reasons. Boak states he will not enter the draft and has instructed his club Port Adelaide to seek a suitable trade. Port Adelaide have agreed to this request.

The lowest finishing Victorian club has the trump card. St Kilda - after finishing 8th have the 15th draft selection. The Bulldogs - after finishing 14th have the 8th draft pick (and the highest for a Victorian club).

Result:
Boak goes to Bulldogs.
Not if he doesn't want to.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Newsflash:

Result:
Boak goes to Bulldogs.
Then he breaches his deal with Port and stays in Port.
As i wrote in this examople - Boak comes to arrangement with his club to seek a suitable trade with Melbourne club.
So he is saying "if u get a trade with a melbourne club ill take it".

ok forget it. i wont try and argue this point anymore. apparently draft pick order doesnt matter ever and is a complete waste of time. all clubs should sack all their recruitment staff and just pick from a hat. glad we have resolved this issue.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Newsflash:

Result:
Boak goes to Bulldogs.
Then he breaches his deal with Port and stays in Port.
As i wrote in this examople - Boak comes to arrangement with his club to seek a suitable trade with Melbourne club.
So he is saying "if u get a trade with a melbourne club ill take it".

ok forget it. i wont try and argue this point anymore. apparently draft pick order doesnt matter ever and is a complete waste of time. all clubs should sack all their recruitment staff and just pick from a hat. glad we have resolved this issue.
So you would rather not make finals becuase of that? No thanks.

If we make the finals, I reckon you will say: "I'm really pumped".

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.