Why did we not take Wellingham?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Why did we not take Wellingham?

I know this is in the past, but why did we not take him when offered for ball?

He had a great game today for the pies and played well in both grand finals.

Just wondering why we didn't take him if, we were going to lose ball for nothing otherwise?

Sainter for life.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why did we not take Wellingham?

SaintSimmo wrote:I know this is in the past, but why did we not take him when offered for ball?

Just wondering why we didn't take him if, we were going to lose ball for nothing otherwise?
according to all non reliable sources- because the clubs are not saying
Fact one- he was NOT offered to the saints
he was offered to North Melbourne so they could give the pies a draft pick which they could then offer St Kilda
Last edited by saintbrat on Mon 13 Jun 2011 6:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

well...contrary to what lloyd says...i don't think he was offered......goldsack...maybe...but not wellingham.....
Last edited by stinger on Mon 13 Jun 2011 6:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SaintSimmo
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:I know this is in the past, but why did we not take him when offered for ball?

he was offered to North Melbourne so they could give the pies a draft pick which they could then offer St Kilda
really? cause the ten commentators seem to think we were offered him, might just be idiots.

Sainter for life.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:well...contrary towhat lloyd says...i don't think he was offered///goldsack...maybe...but not wellingham.....
if lloyd says it ---- only vaguely correct because he never completes his background work- often gets simple facts wrong......

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Don't believe he was ever offered to us.

I understand he was offered to North for a draft pick which would then go to us to get Everitt from the Bulldogs, but North didn't rate him.

It's become a bit of an urban myth

goddardisgod
Club Player

Because at no point in time was he offered to us.

One of Wellingham or Goldsack was offered to North for pick 21. North only wanted to give up 25, bulldogs wanted at least 21 for Everrit. That went out the window.

We then offered Ball for a straight swap for Nathan Brown. Collingwood refused.

They offered us 25 and 62. We preferred to try and convince Ball to stay.

Secondly, I don't like him. His arrogance FAR outweighs his talent.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Don't believe he was ever offered to us.

I understand he was offered to North for a draft pick which would then go to us to get Everitt from the Bulldogs, but North didn't rate him.

It's become a bit of an urban myth
i think that is closer to the truth....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Legendary
Club Player

goddardisgod wrote:Because at no point in time was he offered to us.

One of Wellingham or Goldsack was offered to North for pick 21. North only wanted to give up 25, bulldogs wanted at least 21 for Everrit. That went out the window.

Spot on.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The Saints took a stand with an eye on the future.

It's easy to say something is better than nothing.

But what if they now go after, say, Goddard. They now know that they have to get serious with the Saints or there'll be no deal.

And Goddard, unlike Ball, won't last in the Draft until the Pies get a pick.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Sorry didn't see this thread....

Can someone please clear this up once and for all?

In the past fornight I have heard the commentators on todays game state this, the AFL360 show on foxtel talked about it, Francis Leach (who should know better) on SEN, and Jon Ralph has made (another) reference to it in some unrelated article about Geelong.

Actually I think Jon Ralph who been the one making the claim since the GF replay, because it does sound so very dramatic.

Unless I am totally mistaken though, pick 25 & 62 were rejected by St Kilda for Luke Ball?

Pick 25 was in North's possession, and the only way this could of been offered to St Kilda was if the Pies gave Wellingham to North.

The idea was then that St Kilda were going to offer #25 to the Dogs for Everitt.

Can someone correct me if this is not the case, because commentators seem to have taken this and run with it, and I'm finding it really annoying.

I realise Herald Sun claim 'stories start here' so it's entirely possible Jon Ralph has run with a porky because of the dramatic nature of it, even if it's not entirely truthful?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:

according to all non reliable sources- because the clubs are not saying
Thats how I heard it too. Collingwood were pedalling a lot of propoganda at the time, but I suppose they are the ones laughing now !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

As always it is hard to know what is rumour and what isn't...

My understanding is, mostly from the same sources as everyone else but I have spoke to a couple of people from the club (none of the big names) and they seem to have the same understanding as me.

St Kilda suggest pick 30 and Goldsack for Ball. Collingwood refuse.

Collingwood offer pick 30 alone, we refuse.

Bulldogs make it clear that they will only trade Everitt for Pick 21, so we need to get pick 21 somehow from Ball. Collingwood suggest Wellingham/ Goldsack for Pick 21, North say they'll only trade pick 25 for either of those two, which wouldn't have gotten us Everitt so the deal goes nowhere. I can't remember if Collingwood were going to offer Wellingham/ Goldack AND pick 30 or just a player by himself.

Collingwood then change their mind and offer Goldsack and Pick 30 (As we originally wanted) for Ball, but since that time we have brought in Peake and Lovett so we refuse as we didn't believe we had room for him in the side.

St Kilda offer Luke Ball for Nathan Brown (I remember being so excited at the prospect of this deal, never thought he would go on to end a premiership dream for us), but Collingwood refused.

At the end of the day we played hardball, it didn't work out in hindsight, but I believe that we made the right call at the time. If a player decides he wants to turn his back on us in the most underhanded of ways as Ball did we should not make his job any easier.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

goddardisgod wrote:Because at no point in time was he offered to us.

Secondly, I don't like him. His arrogance FAR outweighs his talent.
Bingo.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

"gee St Kilda could of done with Goldsack right now' just doesn't have the same impact huh

:roll:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:well...contrary to what lloyd says...i don't think he was offered......goldsack...maybe...but not wellingham.....
i believe this to be closest to the truth.

they're just saying wellingham in an attempt to rub more salt into the wound.

no use dwelling over this one now. done and dusted 18+ months ago now.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:As always it is hard to know what is rumour and what isn't...

My understanding is, mostly from the same sources as everyone else but I have spoke to a couple of people from the club (none of the big names) and they seem to have the same understanding as me.

Bulldogs make it clear that they will only trade Everitt for Pick 21, so we need to get pick 21 somehow from Ball. Collingwood suggest Wellingham/ Goldsack for Pick 21, North say they'll only trade pick 25 for either of those two, which wouldn't have gotten us Everitt so the deal goes nowhere. I can't remember if Collingwood were going to offer Wellingham/ Goldack AND pick 30 or just a player by himself.

Collingwood then change their mind and offer Goldsack and Pick 30 (As we originally wanted) for Ball, but since that time we have brought in Peake and Lovett so we refuse as we didn't believe we had room for him in the side.

St Kilda offer Luke Ball for Nathan Brown (I remember being so excited at the prospect of this deal, never thought he would go on to end a premiership dream for us), but Collingwood refused.

At the end of the day we played hardball, it didn't work out in hindsight, but I believe that we made the right call at the time. If a player decides he wants to turn his back on us in the most underhanded of ways as Ball did we should not make his job any easier.
can you distribute this information to all media outlets- especailly one M Loyd and D Schwarzt who are constantly reiterating th assumed offer.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

And 12 months after the Bulldogs played hardball with us over Everitt he was on the outer and off to Sydney :roll:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:

can you distribute this information to all media outlets- especailly one M Loyd and D Schwarzt who are constantly reiterating th assumed offer.
and Francis Leach, Gerard Whately, Mark McClure....

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote: And 12 months after the Bulldogs played hardball with us over Everitt he was on the outer and off to Sydney :roll:
Probably didn't want to give us something that we wanted...

just like Ross didn't want to improve Collingwood, and Mick St Kilda.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: And 12 months after the Bulldogs played hardball with us over Everitt he was on the outer and off to Sydney :roll:
Probably didn't want to give us something that we wanted...

just like Ross didn't want to improve Collingwood, and Mick St Kilda.
Yeah, the Everitt one actually annoys me far more than getting nothing for Ball.

Can't be helped now though.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Because he wasn't in Collingwood's best 22 until 2010, AFTER he was trade bait in the Luke Ball saga.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Middo
Club Player

Ask Plugger ...... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
fingers
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:well...contrary to what lloyd says...i don't think he was offered......goldsack...maybe...but not wellingham.....
Coorect

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: can you distribute this information to all media outlets- especailly one M Loyd and D Schwarzt who are constantly reiterating th assumed offer.
and Francis Leach, Gerard Whately, Mark McClure....[/quote]

even Finey is saying the same.... this is how myth becomes fact.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY