Eagles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Eagles

Showing u can bottom out and be a contender the next year with a bit of forward planning. Playing very good footy right now.

lurker#134
Club Player

Personally, I'd be waiting a little bit before I call em' contenders.

So far they have beaten: North, Port, Melbourne, Freo, Doggies

Lost to: Sydney, Hawthorn, Bummers

Sobraz
SS Life Member

A great example, and it quite clearly can be done...

Mindset and confidence play such a big part in todays game... Perhaps more so than ever...

We clearly have the top end personal required... Our middle tier is solid... If a few of the young guys can show enough this season to deepen our list, there is no reason why we cannot reload next year...

Enter P66 to come in and shoot this thread down...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:A great example, and it quite clearly can be done...

Mindset and confidence play such a big part in todays game... Perhaps more so than ever...

We clearly have the top end personal required... Our middle tier is solid... If a few of the young guys can show enough this season to deepen our list, there is no reason why we cannot reload next year...

You got me. Firstly I have never said that we cant challenge next year what ever happens. What I have said to Con at least 20 times is there is no way we can finish last this year which means less than 5 wins and then challenge next year. For us to have any chance next year they must get some confidence back this year which means we must be trying to win as many games as possible. Surely that makes sense.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Yes it makes sense. This is not a year when you want to bottom out. With GWS having the lions share of the draft kids. 2012 would be a better year to bottom out.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:A great example, and it quite clearly can be done...

You got me. Firstly I have never said that we cant challenge next year what ever happens. What I have said to Con at least 20 times is there is no way we can finish last this year which means less than 5 wins and then challenge next year. For us to have any chance next year they must get some confidence back this year which means we must be trying to win as many games as possible. Surely that makes sense.
Yes, it does make sense, and my last comment was purely tongue in cheek to be honest...

I actually agree with you, and do not think we should aim to tank as such..

Getting games into Sippos, Cripps, Lynch, Ledger etc as the year progresses, and knocking up a few wins in the second half of the year especially will help us no end come season 2012...

Those guys are where our improvement may come from, and exposure to the top level this year will hold them in good stead... In that, if it means a greater likelyhood of a loss this year, albeit a close one, it's worth it....

Munga
Saintsational Legend

The eagles didn't bottom out last year, they TANKED! I said it last year, they were tanking and would come back strong in 2011 for Woosha's last year of his contract.
Planned, always going to happen.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:The eagles didn't bottom out last year, they TANKED! I said it last year, they were tanking and would come back strong in 2011 for Woosha's last year of his contract.
Yeah of course they would tank when Gold Coast got all the picks.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:The eagles didn't bottom out last year, they TANKED! I said it last year, they were tanking and would come back strong in 2011 for Woosha's last year of his contract.
Besides Darling (a late pick anyway), I don't think they've used any 1st year players, so (so far) tanking last year hasn't done too much for them. I'd hate to see the state of this forum should we bottom out for 3 years!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Eagles

Con Gorozidis wrote:Showing u can bottom out and be a contender the next year with a bit of forward planning. Playing very good footy right now.
With a lot of forward planning you mean..

The Eagles have been building to this for years.

ie the Judd trade.

It certainly has little to do with their last season.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Anyone else think they put out the wrong vibe on Darling then snared him themselves?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
degruch
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Anyone else think they put out the wrong vibe on Darling then snared him themselves?
You think they framed the police investigation? :shock:

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

WC have been in a rebuild mode since Judd left.

It definitely hasn't been a one year rejuvenation, they've been able to get early picks in 2007 (Masten #3- from Carl, Ebert #13), 2008 (Natanui #2, Shuey #18- Priority pick), 2009 (Sheppard #7), 2010 (Gaff #4, Darling #26).

So if we were to be in a similar situation to WC we would be looking at trading one of our guns for an early pick & a young developing key forward. We would then look at being in the bottom 5 for 2012 & 2013 before a resurgence in 2014 with aging guns in Goddard (29), Riewoldt (32) & Montagna (30).

spert
Saintsational Legend

While Cox is in form, and they have strong marking key forwards, they will do pretty well

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:WC have been in a rebuild mode since Judd left.

It definitely hasn't been a one year rejuvenation, they've been able to get early picks in 2007 (Masten #3- from Carl, Ebert #13), 2008 (Natanui #2, Shuey #18- Priority pick), 2009 (Sheppard #7), 2010 (Gaff #4, Darling #26).

So if we were to be in a similar situation to WC we would be looking at trading one of our guns for an early pick & a young developing key forward. We would then look at being in the bottom 5 for 2012 & 2013 before a resurgence in 2014 with aging guns in Goddard (29), Riewoldt (32) & Montagna (30).
We are more likely to replicate the Swans model with a mixture of youth and trading for players which means being middle of the road and not bottoming out. I could be wrong though.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:WC have been in a rebuild mode since Judd left.

Of course it makes it a lot easier for club and fans when the trading of a beloved champion is forced upon you (eg Judd)

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

lurker#134 wrote:Personally, I'd be waiting a little bit before I call em' contenders.

So far they have beaten: North, Port, Melbourne, Freo, Doggies

Lost to: Sydney, Hawthorn, Bummers
Those 3 losses were all by about 2 goals - I think you will find they were right in those matches

They are contenders IMO...

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
widereceiver
Club Player

What a load of tosh.

Cox, Kerr and Embley were non-existent last year.
Natanui and Kennedy have another few ks on the clock.
Nicoski is playing for his career.
Darling is what we all hoped Kosi would be.

It has nothing, nothing, to do with tanking or bottoming out.

PS Shuey isn't a bad player either.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

widereceiver wrote:What a load of tosh.

Cox, Kerr and Embley were non-existent last year.
Natanui and Kennedy have another few ks on the clock.
Nicoski is playing for his career.
Darling is what we all hoped Kosi would be.

It has nothing, nothing, to do with tanking or bottoming out.

PS Shuey isn't a bad player either.
Don't know that I'd say nothing to do with bottoming out... but I'd certainly back the above as being closer to reality than the OP.

The wooden spoon from 2010 can't be credited to 2011s rejuvination. Their first pick was Gaff, who is a great prospect, but their big score is Darling, who everyone in the league passed on and they drafted with their priority pick. Their other "high" draft pick is Lycett, who hasn't been selected yet? Brennan's a F/S, Stevenson and Strijk are promoted rookies.

One does have to give some credit to their build over a number of years though - Kennedy and Masten are via the Judd trade, Niknat's a high draft pick due to being a bad team. Ebert's due to being a bad team.

So West Coast does make an interesting - and relevant to the Saints - study in what it takes to retool a contender. As noted above, they've still got a lot of key football being played by guys who won a premiership with the Eagles in '06.

What's fascinating is that with so many key roles being filled by players available 12+ months ago... the football the Eagles are playing is nothing like their approach in 2006 that won the flag. That team was the prototype for the Geelong 07-10 with and aggressive handball-centric offense. The Eagles in 2011 are playing a forward press built around a number of talls...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Sobraz
SS Life Member

They'll win a flag within 3 years...

They're back to the party hard/play hard club that gets them success...

Anyone seen Masten lately... His the new Chad Flecther, only with more talent and tatts...

They've got their arrogant mojo back, and with such a strong home ground advantage, they'll be up for a while...

With Swan potentially out this week, they are a real shot against the Pies...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Implementing a zone requries effort, not always ability?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Implementing a zone requries effort, not always ability?
Yeah form mine it's about them comibing some good talent, with an outstanding system.

St Kilda 2009 style

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
SainterK wrote:Implementing a zone requries effort, not always ability?
Yeah form mine it's about them comibing some good talent, with an outstanding system.

St Kilda 2009 style
Exactly

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The eagles are probably like us bottoming out after losing Riewoldt and BJ they are a very good team now and will be good for a few years to come. Cousins and Judd where about the best mids in the comp when they lost them and they missed a heap of games from Kerr as well.