Gilbert

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

Gilbert

Gone. If he was a horse he would be on the way to the
glue factory.

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
wasaintsfan
Club Player

easily been our worst this year... im all for giving chances and i rarely go at players but no... gilbert is done... his confidence is done.. his trust from the teammates is done... and tbh i highly doubt he will be at the club next year.. regardless what he does next

sorry but i cant defend this guy.... his critical errors are way to high against his touches... and theyre always at the worst time in the game.. its like he deliberately does it...

happy feet
Club Player

get rid of him

Brought the club into disrepute on several fronts. Should have been sacked at start of the season.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

our problems run far deeper than Sam Gilbert, he looks more interested than our two best players right now.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
One Eyed Saint
Club Player

Gilberts problems are all above the shoulders, like many of his team mates...

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Again gave away some stupid free kicks, one of which cost us a goal.

Why play him forward, when he always misses goals :?:

Totally lacking confidence. Don't give him away yet :!:

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Feel Gilbert would be much better being played on a wing where he can drift forwards and back as well as creating a link through the middle of the field.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

allan jeans used to say...poor kicks to the back line....trouble is we can't play all 22 in defence..... :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Give Gilbert the opportunity to find some form......At Sandy.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:Feel Gilbert would be much better being played on a wing where he can drift forwards and back as well as creating a link through the middle of the field.
he'd have to be able to use the ball to do that and atm.. well he cant even bounce it :S let alone kick/handball/mark

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He looks unhappy, unfocused and uncomfortable. He has completely lost his amazing tackling skills and zip that made him a quality player over the past few years. He still ha the ability but I don't see him playing out his career at St Kilda. Trade bait IMO

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

If I could be bothered I would dig out the post from 2010 when this whole Duthie affair broke... back then I said he needed to be 'exited' from the club.... and I was howled down by everyone on here for being a short-sighted fool who had zero understanding of football club culture.....

I'm very sad to say it seems I was right (and believe me, I was really hoping I was dead wrong)

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
suss
Club Player

While Gilbo is miles off his all AA form, i thought he competed really well when he went forward. He split the packs and gave the crumbers something to crumb. From memory, his move forward coincided with us getting back into the game. His kicking for goal was still woeful of course.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

New target Rod?

wallbanger
Club Player

Woeful.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

What about Roo he could be in the same boat. The pair of them are not playing well, but it runs deeper than those two. We are pressured in the backline because we are not defending through our midfield. We are not getting the ruck taps our way and without lenny we lack a guy who can steal the ball regardless. Armo and Jones went ok but are better at the bash and crash than linking the next player in.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

One Eyed Saint wrote:Gilberts problems are all above the shoulders, like many of his team mates...
His ability to only kick with his left foot, and poorly at that, is not a problem that is above his shoulders.

Carna Saints!!!
older saint
SS Life Member

GWS bait?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:
One Eyed Saint wrote:Gilberts problems are all above the shoulders, like many of his team mates...
His ability to only kick with his left foot, and poorly at that, is not a problem that is above his shoulders.
bloody agree 100%
shocking disp at the moment
one sided
been found out

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote:If I could be bothered I would dig out the post from 2010 when this whole Duthie affair broke... back then I said he needed to be 'exited' from the club.... and I was howled down by everyone on here for being a short-sighted fool who had zero understanding of football club culture.....

I'm very sad to say it seems I was right
nah. he's well out of form. that doesn't mean that he'll never play well again.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

probably the worst kick int he league atm...how does that happen?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:probably the worst kick int he league atm...how does that happen?
how did it happen that gehrig went from normal goal-kicking accuracy in 2003 to basically never missing a shot a goal in 2004? it was all mental. same with gilbo.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Like most other saints supporters, I too am disappointed by Sam's form. I'm not exactly surprised though. He has clearly been traumatised by the events of the off-season and I think it's reflected in the way he's been playing. He looks confused, indecisive and rushed in everything he does. It is the complete opposite to the past couple of years, when he was amongst the competition's elite.

The rumours that all is not well between him and his team mates over the KD scandal can't be helping. I don't know if those rumours have any basis, but watching him play, it's clear that he is distracted and doesn't seem to be fully focused on the task at hand. If there is any bad blood, or Sam is suffering from post traumatic stress (I think he shows all the signs), I hope the club psychologist is working closely with him.

Sam Gilbert is a quality player, whom we should not consider trading. I think he's one of the players we can build our future around. Like the rest of the team, atm he is completely lacking in form and confidence. Those last two things can be recovered quickly. There are still 17 rounds to go.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saint6709
Club Player

Like most other saints supporters, I too am disappointed by Sam's form. I'm not exactly surprised though. He has clearly been traumatised by the events of the off-season and I think it's reflected in the way he's been playing. He looks confused, indecisive and rushed in everything he does. It is the complete opposite to the past couple of years, when he was amongst the competition's elite.

Whilst I agree with this entirely and think Gilbert needs some Sandy time to find his Mojo - The above could be said for the whole team - the total lack of confidence to move the ball on and hit targets is a problem the whole team is facing. The days of back chipping to flat footed defenders is over - It seems that along with our poor skills no one is willing to run - the opposition is just given too much time to close us down - People talk about leg speed being a problem but I think its more about ball movement - unless players are willing to run and make position we are in big trouble and I personally don't think thats going to happen unless they have confidence that their team mates have the skills to deliver the ball to them when they present

Megsie
Club Player

Sam takes every decision by the umpire personally. Shakes his head mumbles
to himself. Looks like he thinks "yes that's right me again ho hum" Well guess what Sam? The tide will turn
things will get better for you but you have to work at it.