What's Happened to Gilbert?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sam23
SS Life Member

What's Happened to Gilbert?

Not trying to slag the guy. But I am just wondering what has caused him stagnating or even going backwards in his footballing talents?

Terrible disposer of the ball now, gets caught, double grabs, fumbles.

In 2009 he was seemingly ready to take the AFL by storm and he has stopped really.

Loss of confidence? Injured? Teams worked him out?

Goddard.
Marchin' In
Club Player

Two things:

1) Muscle niggles.
2) Signed with GWS.

UP THE SAINTERS!
Aussie Bears
Club Player

Haha. The posts here will be funny

A year that doesn't end in frustration...please
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: What's Happened to Gilbert?

Sam23 wrote:Not trying to slag the guy. But I am just wondering what has caused him stagnating or even going backwards in his footballing talents?

In 2009 he was seemingly ready to take the AFL by storm and he has stopped really.

2010 third in our B&F. Case closed. 2 ordinary games doesnt equate to whats happened to him.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Pre-season saga can't have helped. Nor could have the aborted move forward

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Mental?

Let's be honest, had a bit to deal with, watching the doco fully highlighted how awkward he is still feeling about it all.

Could pop him in summer bay, he has had so much drama.

lefty
Club Player

Sam23 wrote:Not trying to slag the guy. But I am just wondering what has caused him stagnating or even going backwards in his footballing talents?

Didn't have the space to take players on and got caught, also didn't help it was at the MCG....

Wasn't the worst, he'll be ok...

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:Terrible disposer of the ball now, gets caught, double grabs, fumbles.
What's new. Just keep him away from the F50 FFS. Can't afford not to play him next week, but his mind does seem to be...erm...trying to find a nice house in Western Sydney.

suss
Club Player

I've been seeing him out and about in St Kilda a lot of late. Always has a pretty bird on one arm - always heading into a nice eating establishment. I reckon the dough and the glamouress lifestyle have gone to his head.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He was our next great chf after all........

He was going to elevate this team to greater hieghts with his ability to hurt teams with his scoring prowess.....and compliment st nick.....god almighty

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He was our next great chf after all........

He was going to elevate this team to greater hieghts with his ability to hurt teams with his scoring prowess.....and compliment st nick.....god almighty
Are you enjoying us losing because that is exactly how it comes across.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He was our next great chf after all......
I was surprised it was entertained, despite all the talk...was never going to happen IMO.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Im enjoying (in a sense) that people who have shot me down, bagged the f#ck out of me and enjoyed taking cheap shots at me....now change thier views....after one game.....its very interesting

And plugger, you Have led the chorus.....so, to see you questioning the establishment, when you continually mocked anyone else who dare try....does make me wonder...

Btw...... I think a greater good will come out of losing tonight, i think it is a watershed moment.....if we continued to beat s*** sides with this ridiculous gp, and a team topped with gop's carried by guns, masking cracks, ross might have not changed his views....his hand is forced now.....

Geelong will finish lower this year without Bomba and gazza.....but will compete for another flag quicker as a result

Some losses are good.....why, you learn a hell of a lot more........it puts things under the microscope

saintbob
SS Life Member

I reckon Gibert is just confused with what his role is, especially after RL come out last week and stated that he didn't want to play forward.
I actually think that he's not the only one confused as to their role to be honest, I reckon BJ has struggled since round 1 of the NAB Cup.
Don't believe Gilbert would ever make a great forward, but I really think he would make a great wingman.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Im enjoying (in a sense) that people who have shot me down, bagged the f#ck out of me and enjoyed taking cheap shots at me....now change thier views....after one game.....its very interesting

And plugger, you Have led the chorus.....so, to see you questioning the establishment, when you continually mocked anyone else who dare try....does make me wonder...

Btw...... I think a greater good will come out of losing tonight, i think it is a watershed moment.....if we continued to beat s*** sides with this ridiculous gp, and a team topped with gop's carried by guns, masking cracks, ross might have not changed his views....his hand is forced now.....

Geelong will finish lower this year without Bomba and gazza.....but will compete for another flag quicker as a result

Some losses are good.....why, you learn a hell of a lot more........it puts things under the microscope
You have now become a hero of mine because you really think everything you say is right but when challenged you go missing. You has a chance to say your changes fior this game and came up with a massive 2. One more than what actually happened. Just more hot air but you must have liked the result tonight.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dont sook......

Maybe one change was all it would have taken....we drew.

Archer, dempster out.....geary, winmar in.....enough i reckon.....both of those players were a one out of ten......so a 2 out of ten game from either might have did it.....

Plus the positive at looking at young winmar, who maybe an answer.....archer wont be....seriously

And i needn't be your hero plugger, but if you do have a dig at me every time i post, i will fire back when things go as i have thought....which is definitely not always....but judging by you.....i am alway wrong, and for proof of that, do some research....

You dont have to agree with me, but even under weight of evidence.....you wont even concede.....even now your suggesting i am enjoying a loss, so you feel vindicated about me being a bad supporter, rather than someone who critisises for improvements sake

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:
Sam23 wrote:Terrible disposer of the ball now, gets caught, double grabs, fumbles.
What's new. Just keep him away from the F50 FFS.
Why, because it worked out so badly for the team when he was up there tonight?
In case you missed it, when he was up there, he gave us a very mobile tall target and one that had to be watched very closely, by whoever was on him. That meant that instead of whoever was on him just being able to zone off him and double team Roo, he had to chase Gilbert around, and as a result, Roo had taken 7 marks by about half way through the second quarter.
How many did Roo take after Gilbert went out of the forward line (at around that stage, half way through the second)? I'm guessing very, very few. In fact he hardly touched it after Gilbert left there.
It's not all about one guy and how well he does in a particular position, but how the team goes as a whole, while he's in that position.
When he was up there we looked incredibly dangerous and if not for our dreadful set shot kicking for goal, would have surely been 5 goals or more up, by the time he was eventually moved out of there, as we were dominating and our forward line looked extremely dangerous.
So while Gilbert didn't take 10 marks and kick 8 goals in the 45 minutes he played forward, he did take a few marks and from memory set up a goal, with a long kick deep into the 50, but more importantly, he gave us a far better structure and another genuine option and very noticeably freed Roo up to be one out, instead of the 2 on one that happened from pretty much the moment Gilbert went back to the backline.
The other thing that needs to be remembered is that in our forward line they kick it to Roo almost every time, so if you expect someone like Gilbert to kick a bag of goals, when they're constantly kicking it to Roo, and ignoring pretty much everyone else, you're off your f****** head.
He's also brand new to the role, so if you expect he's going to do it phenomenally well in his first few games there, you really are expecting way too much. Major changes like that are more likely to take 10 weeks than 10 minutes, to be fully effective.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sat 02 Apr 2011 4:37am, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Scott13bt

SUPPORT

this is a forum for st kilda supporters.i think sum of u are confused with thte definition of the word support.im as dissapointed as the next bloke but ffs sum of u i think like bagging OUR TEAM

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

You tell them!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He was our next great chf after all........

...he actually can't kick a ball in a straight line..... :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
degruch wrote:
Yes...and almost every other time. He's a backman, he stays down back, with Zac, Blake, Fisher and all the other 'successful' swingmen we've used forward. We immediately gained some run down to the F50 with him down back.

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Mind not on the job currently and right leg only for standing on.
Dawson in same mental bracket as far as pre-season problems.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
St Lenny
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Mental?

Let's be honest, had a bit to deal with, watching the doco fully highlighted how awkward he is still feeling about it all.

Could pop him in summer bay, he has had so much drama.
Actually I think this is the problem with the whole team. You can't loose 3 GFs in a row and it not affect you. I just hope we can move on, and soon.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:
degruch wrote:
Yes...and almost every other time. He's a backman, he stays down back, with Zac, Blake, Fisher and all the other 'successful' swingmen we've used forward. We immediately gained some run down to the F50 with him down back.
If you reckon our forward line worked badly when he was in there last night, when we had 10 scoring shots in the first quarter and were dominating, you're off your rocker, or have no idea. Were you even there? I take it you weren't. No one who was there and awake would have said that if they had even half a clue.
"And almost every other time" is just as ridiculous. He's done it very few times and two of those were relatively successful in the GF's last year, where he helped turn the game in the first and was about the only one who looked like getting a kick up there in the second.
As I said, a move like this is going to take time to work, but obviously a pea brain like yours is not going to comprehend this concept, or the concept that someone can take a big load off Roo, without getting a heap of it himself.
I see you've conveniently not responded to my points explaining why it worked last night, either, which would be because you've got nothing but your standard emotional outburst.
As for saying he gave us run from the backline, no-one's saying he won't do well down back, but as pretty much everyone has noticed, we have way too many "defenders", so something has to give.
We have ample options to play down back, but precious few who can both take a load off Roo up forward and get marks and kicks up there as well. He can and needs to be persisted with there, for more than a quarter at a time.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:
In case you missed it, when he was up there, he gave us a very mobile tall target and one that had to be watched very closely, by whoever was on him. That meant that instead of whoever was on him just being able to zone off him and double team Roo, he had to chase Gilbert around, and as a result, Roo had taken 7 marks by about half way through the second quarter.
How many did Roo take after Gilbert went out of the forward line (at around that stage, half way through the second)? I'm guessing very, very few. In fact he hardly touched it after Gilbert left there.
It's not all about one guy and how well he does in a particular position, but how the team goes as a whole, while he's in that position.
Just checked the stats and not only did Roo hardly touch it after the approximate time Gilbert left the forward line, but he didn't take a single mark for the rest of the game. Not one.
When Gilbert was up there, as well as getting a few marks and kicks himself, his presence allowed Roo to go one out against McGuane and he took 7 marks in about a quarter and a half (according to the stats they put up on the big screen, around half way through the 2nd). When Gilbert went down back and Roo was regularly double teamed, ZERO MARKS in two and a half quarters. Facts.