Lyon..our unpopular coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lyon..our unpopular coach

I think I am out of step with most on this forum.

Since Lyon arrived I have liked the way he has gone about coaching us and improving the team. He is not perfect, but no-one is. But he is more perfect than most :)

However with many on the forum anytime a set-back or hurdle appears, they seem to take any opportunity to flag all that is wrong with Lyon in their eyes. Now yes it is forum, and the forum is there for us all to express our views whatever that may be.

He just seems to grate on many. If the forum had a vote...he would have been sacked long ago.

After the NZ incident posts are flying about all that he is doing wrong.

Now I am not happy with the NZ incident.....................BUT I am still most confident that we will be top 4, and that more likely than not we will be in another GF this year.

Given our win loss ratio since he arrived his popularity is to me mystifyingly low.

Now I may be completely wrong...but my expectation and anticipation is that Lyon will turn this latest negative into a positive.

Now the Pies this year are at present the team to beat. But I reckon through Lyon that the saints will give it a good crack.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hardly anyone on here bags Lyon (except grant thomas). I dont think he is unpopular at all.
If anything 99% of fans are shaking their hands at some of the players actions right in tune with Ross.

And thinking - "Jeezus Rossco, what have we go to put up with with some of these young nufftis"

People seem to be on Ross's side over the playing group in general.

St Lenny
Club Player

I dont think Ross is unpopular. I dont actually think this recent episode is a big deal. Dont get me wrong, im not saying its ok. What makes it a big deal is, for most this is the straw that broke the camels back. We are sick to death of St Kilda being in the media for the wrong reasons.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Ross is a breath of fresh air in the football world. He answers utterly inappropriate and stupid questions from journalists with great deflective non-answers.

Those really crappy questions that no coach wants to answer about their club.

He's also turned this club into the most disciplined (ON FIELD) saints team

shmic_s
Club Player

I haven't read too much negativity towards Lyon. Most has been directed at the players.

The thing that would relate a little, is the need for stronger leadership, but arguably that could come from Westaway, Nettleford and others.

I hope that with the recruitment of Hudson, i think it was, we were already trying to improve the management/development of our younger players.

So they may have already been trying to improve the strategies that were in place, or if not, they will be now.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

UNpopular? Ross Lyon's mother doesn't hold him in as much esteem as Saintsational.

He'll bounce back. Next time the team goes away they'll put more preparation into the way they structure the trip. They'll back themselves that if they go about it the right way it's every chance of being a success.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I reckon even after Miamigate/Kimmigate and the NZ pill popping the equation remains the same. That is:

Those who liked (loved) RL before that happened still do.

Those who disliked RL before that happened still do.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

How is Ross unpopular on here, I think it's quite the opposite, and even criticism is usually measured.

I think we are now aware he has made some mistakes in his approach to letting the players be in regards to private time, but at least he admits he can improve.

I was more disappointed with Nettlefold's denial that there is even an issue.

I feel a bit sorry for Ross, I think he gives the players every opportunity to be successful by providing them with the means in a coaching sense, and you can't say they've not been close....

He shouldn't have to babysit them off field, but he is going to have to reign them in...

Oh, and Robert Walls reckons he should get of St Kilda ASAP, implying he deserves better.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I like Ross Lyon as a coach, but that doesn't mean his role is above scrutiny and above criticism if warranted.

I think at present, he needs to improve in his off-field leadership. Whether that is directly with the players or with those persons in charge of those roles, it needs to improve.

He is the boss of the football department and the buck stops with him.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I was more disappointed with Nettlefold's denial that there is even an issue.
And yet some posters reckon we should have kept this all in-house.

Now that really would have been denial!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I was more disappointed with Nettlefold's denial that there is even an issue.
I though Michael only said there was no problem with the culture.
I still feel that most clubs will have these issues- they just don't get out and it's a tough balancing act- to tell or not to tell.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Best coach in the league IMHO,
To create a game plan around a team of players recruited for another gameplan takes something special IMO, I wonder how he will go when the next generation comes through.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: I was more disappointed with Nettlefold's denial that there is even an issue.
I was more puzzled by his comments about not being able to play in 2 GF's if you have a culture problem.

West Coast played in 2, and won 1 of them when half their team including the captain was completely and utterly off the rails!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Best coach in the league IMHO,
To create a game plan around a team of players recruited for another gameplan takes something special IMO, I wonder how he will go when the next generation comes through.
and as our president realised two years ago may he stick around for several more years.

I like his style- Just because the media don't understand it,
Lenny's words at B&F- Ross we love you'
Last edited by saintbrat on Wed 02 Feb 2011 5:11pm, edited 2 times in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote: I was more disappointed with Nettlefold's denial that there is even an issue.
I was more puzzled by his comments about not being able to play in 2 GF's if you have a culture problem.

West Coast played in 2, and won 1 of them when half their team including the captain was completely and utterly off the rails!

As I said in another thread, I couldn't care less what these guys do off the ground. If it's impacting their ability to play then the coaches need to act on it. And I trust that with the physical scrutiny these guys are under, if it was impacting them it would be picked up pretty quickly in skin folds and all the other health, fitness and strength tests that they do regularly.

As I said, if I want to walk taller by pumping up my own self-esteem through other people's efforts, I'll choose Nelson Mandela or Bob Geldoff or someone. Not a footballer.

But if I want to get enjoyment out of watching a game that I loved playing, and grew up watching, then I'll choose the footy.
If I was a West Coast fan I'd have still enjoyed watching them play throughout 05 and 06 regardless of the s*** they were up to.
That's the thing, the supporters over there got to witness a premiership.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

As I said in another thread, I couldn't care less what these guys do off the ground. If it's impacting their ability to play then the coaches need to act on it. And I trust that with the physical scrutiny these guys are under, if it was impacting them it would be picked up pretty quickly in skin folds and all the other health, fitness and strength tests that they do regularly.

As I said, if I want to walk taller by pumping up my own self-esteem through other people's efforts, I'll choose Nelson Mandela or Bob Geldoff or someone. Not a footballer.

But if I want to get enjoyment out of watching a game that I loved playing, and grew up watching, then I'll choose the footy.
If I was a West Coast fan I'd have still enjoyed watching them play throughout 05 and 06 regardless of the s*** they were up to.
And I bet none of them cared about the mess they were off-field at the time!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

True, but that is because they weren't ever confronted with the idea that their team may have missed out on a premiership because of the mess.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

True, but that is because they weren't ever confronted with the idea that their team may have missed out on a premiership because of the mess.
That's because the mess had nothing to do with them losing the 2005 one, and nothing to do with them winning the 2006 one!

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:Robert Walls reckons he should get of St Kilda ASAP, implying he deserves better.
This is my concern with all of these shenanigans....

Ross Lyon comes across as an extremely disciplined, hard nosed, focussed individual.

He has been given the job to lead this club to a premiership, thru astute recruiting, training the playing group strongly, and executing match-day tactics to win 26ish games a year.

When he wastes his time babysitting rich & spoilt brats, defending our club in the media, and laying down punishment for stupid activities, he is taken away from his job of winning the premiership, which hurts our chances.

He has a vision for our club, but if he does not have a playing group that has the same vision, he will find one that does.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

Spoke with an ex-player on New years Eve who used to play under Ross at the Swans.

He said Ross was the best coach he'd ever had (he'd also played at another MEL club) and "...was a tactical genius".

Not bad accolades!

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Mr X from the West wrote:Spoke with an ex-player on New years Eve who used to play under Ross at the Swans.

He said Ross was the best coach he'd ever had (he'd also played at another MEL club) and "...was a tactical genius".

Not bad accolades!
Tactical geniuses and brilliant assistants don't always make for great head coaches though.

I'm a big Ross fan, but our heads cost us at least one flag. Tactics may have gone us there in the first place, but something above the shoulders was missing in at least 2 of the 3 Grand Finals.

Coaches need tactical brilliance, a great temperament for the role (Ross had both these) but also the ability to get guys to pick fridges up over their heads when they're only really capable of picking up bar fridges.

This is the only area that worries me a bit with him.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Mr X from the West wrote:Spoke with an ex-player on New years Eve who used to play under Ross at the Swans.

Not bad accolades!
Tactical geniuses and brilliant assistants don't always make for great head coaches though.

I'm a big Ross fan, but our heads cost us at least one flag. Tactics may have gone us there in the first place, but something above the shoulders was missing in at least 2 of the 3 Grand Finals.

Coaches need tactical brilliance, a great temperament for the role (Ross had both these) but also the ability to get guys to pick fridges up over their heads when they're only really capable of picking up bar fridges.

This is the only area that worries me a bit with him.
That's a fair enough point, and that issue is only going to get more and more prevalent in the coming year. There isn't a coach in the world that is perfect and if that is RL's only issue I would be delighted. Perhaps we need to address the psychology issues of the playing list more thoroughly.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

What a load of crap written in the first post. Some people can actually question certain things at the club but that doesnt make the coach unpopular. Others see things through rose coloured glasses and no matter what happens the coach is always right.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

I think the OP was mainly targeting 2 posters - one's he normally talks down to..... Anyway looks like it didn't go so well - hardly anyone slamming the coach :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Megamaguire
Club Player

Zacy take your Camomile tea !

Just a word for Zac first - Don't be so trusting and nieve regarding sleeping tablets. Remember Cousins - how close he came to loosing his life. For Goodness sake grow some dreadlocks and get "Camomile Tea Rocks" tatooed on your arm and guzzlew it down coma an evening -it'll give you the sleep you need.
Ross saw enough potential in you to give you the green light for the whole of 2009 all the way to a GF. As the 'senior' player in the gang of 4 be a bit more cautious buddy! Zac probably doesn't realise what Ross knows he can be. TRUST your coach and dont waste your chance !!!!!!

ROSS ? He's just fantastic isn't he? I could listen to him all day.

He did get sucked in bad by K.Sheedy and his glowing recommendation of Lovett but that is 1 mistake only.

GO ROSS!
GO ZAC!

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.