The other human headline at it again....The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

The other human headline at it again....The Age

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

This article is by John Pierik

...as told to Mike "Collingwood" Sheahan.

The headline should be:

Another Opportunity to make Gratuitous Mention of 2004 RAPE*

*alleged

or:
'
Another Chance for Young Journalist to Type the words 'schoolgirl', 's*x', 'nude' , 'underage', 'St Kilda', 'Riewoldt', 'teenager' in Close Proximity and Prove Guilt by Association!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
suss
Club Player

Thanks Grant - that's terrific. We were off the front page for a bit there. We appreciate that. Well done.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:Thanks Grant - that's terrific. We were off the front page for a bit there. We appreciate that. Well done.
Isn't it terrible to have an opinion.

GT should be shot for having One.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
suss wrote:Thanks Grant - that's terrific. We were off the front page for a bit there. We appreciate that. Well done.

Of course he's allowed to have an opinion.

But why have a go at the club and Ross just after they've tried to put this matter to bed? Don't tell me that Roo and his management weren't 100% behind the decision to front the media.

Maybe, just this once, GT could have acted like the Saints supporter he professes to be and said "no comment"!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote: Maybe, just this once, GT could have acted like the Saints supporter he professes to be and said "no comment"!
I despise it when supposed media people aren't honest about their ex-clubs.

Like Hird when talking about Essendon, or Darcy and the Bulldogs. It's an insult to the public's intelligence that these guys are paid experts and paid to give their opinions - but they lie through their teeth when it comes down to a club they support.

Anyway, I agree with GT. The club handled it woefully initially. However to be fair, I don't think Lyon's comments re vilification were anywhere near the headline of the article.
And I also got the impression that the farcical Reiwoldt press conference was his idea.
Big mistake and totally unneccassry, but I got the impression that Reiwoldt being the greedy waanker that he is, was hell bent on protecting his marketability at the expense of his club and his mates.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: Maybe, just this once, GT could have acted like the Saints supporter he professes to be and said "no comment"!

Like Hird when talking about Essendon, or Darcy and the Bulldogs. It's an insult to the public's intelligence that these guys are paid experts and paid to give their opinions - but they lie through their teeth when it comes down to a club they support.

Anyway, I agree with GT. The club handled it woefully initially. However to be fair, I don't think Lyon's comments re vilification were anywhere near the headline of the article.

And I also got the impression that the farcical Reiwoldt press conference was his idea.
Big mistake and totally unneccassry, but I got the impression that Reiwoldt being the greedy waanker that he is, was hell bent on protecting his marketability at the expense of his club and his mates.
RF, on what basis is Nick a greedy wanker? Nah, don't bother answering that :roll:

Like I said he can have an opinion but he can, occasionally, keep it to himself.

Anyway the whole basis of the story is that GT says the club stuffed it up for his "mate" Nick and I'm saying that is rubbish.

A failure for Grant to comment on this issue, at this point in time, would hardly have impacted on his media career. And no one would have cared because the article simply wouldn't have been written!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

What hog wash. The press conference was not a mistake becuae at the time, Riewold was seen as being embroiled with the "schoolgirl". He needed to come out and make a strong statement that he was not involved with her in any way. His silence would probably have been misinterpreted.
Last edited by SaintPav on Tue 25 Jan 2011 7:35am, edited 2 times in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:RF, on what basis is Nick a greedy wanker? Nah, don't bother answering that :roll:
It's not wanker, it's waanker

As in, foxy will be easy to spot at the footy, he'll be the one leading the opposition crowd chants with "Riewoldt's a WAANKER" clap clap clap clap clap

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

What hog wash. The press conference was not a mistake becuae at the time, Riewold was seen as being embroiled with the "schoolgirl". He needed to come out and make a strong statement that he was not involved with her in any way. His silence would probably have been misinterpreted.
I disagree.

None of the other players made statements. Nor did they need to.

The club should have merely released a statement.

That press conference was an absolute debacle.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:RF, on what basis is Nick a greedy wanker? Nah, don't bother answering that :roll:
It's not wanker, it's waanker

As in, foxy will be easy to spot at the footy, he'll be the one leading the opposition crowd chants with "Riewoldt's a WAANKER" clap clap clap clap clap
I'm not big on chants and yelling at the footy, but yeah, I'm not Riewoldt's biggest fan these days.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:I'm not big on chants and yelling at the footy, but yeah, I'm not Riewoldt's biggest fan these days.
Gosh, really? It's getting a rather long list, isn't it?

Let me see, you like everything about St Kilda except

• The players
• The coaches
• The administration

Did I leave anything out? :mrgreen:

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

I disagree.

Get real. Not everyone reads press releases. Members, especially female members were pissed off and may not have re signed. There are also sponsors who needed to be placated.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Anyway, I agree with GT. The club handled it woefully initially. However to be fair, I don't think Lyon's comments re vilification were anywhere near the
headline of the article.
I disagree.

None of the other players were the Captain, and face, of the club.

Minor point I know :roll:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:I'm not big on chants and yelling at the footy, but yeah, I'm not Riewoldt's biggest fan these days.
Gosh, really? It's getting a rather long list, isn't it?

Let me see, you like everything about St Kilda except

• The players
• The coaches
• The administration

Did I leave anything out? :mrgreen:
The supporters.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

thomas is..as usual spot on the money...also.......i can't believe that ross was so naive as to make those comments...even though the headlines distort what he actually said...
Last edited by stinger on Tue 25 Jan 2011 7:56am, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:None of the other players were the Captain, and face, of the club.

So you believe that things got better after the press conference?

Seriously.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:None of the other players were the Captain, and face, of the club.

So you believe that things got better after the press conference?

Seriously.
Never said that at all. Don't believe that at all either.

It's irrelevant to my thoughts on the matter.

Things would have been just as bad whether a press conference was held or not.

I'm simply saying that the club, and the club's captain, were quite entitled to handle it they way they did.

For what it's worth, the majority of crap hit the fan following the first court hearing; not the press conference.

And just for the record I support the club's stance at that court hearing despite the Hinches of this world attacking us (how many photos were published after the court case & threats of further legal action?)

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
rodgerfox wrote: I disagree.

Get real. Not everyone reads press releases. Members, especially female members were pissed off and may not have re signed. There are also sponsors who needed to be placated.
So because Riewoldt potted his mate, and in the eyes of the public lied about posing for a photo, now all the chicks out there are going to re-sign??

Fair dinkum.

Riewoldt didn't appease anyone, or anything - except himself. He made it sound like there is serious friction between the the players, and made it clear that he wasn't upset in the slightest about the impact this had on the club - but was only worried about the impact it was going to have on him.

These nude photos were never a 'scandal' for the club. The only 'scandal' was that the initial hope of the media and footy public was that there was a group sex scandal.

That should have been put to rest simply, and without fuss by simply releasing a statement with the facts.

Instead they fanned the flames and made a massive deal out of it.

There never was a scandal for the club. There was embarrassment for the players involved I assume, but that's it.
They did the 'crime', so stiff shiit. Who cared anyway?

But after a press conference with the captain protecting his own image at the expense of the club and his mates, then that fool Ross Levine huffing and puffing like a hero out the front of court - hey presto! We have a big scandal for the club!

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

RF,

The scandal was that the "troubled schoolgirl" was passing these photos off as hers...in that she'd taken them. Implicating Roo, Zac and Dal as being party to these activities in the presence of a minor.

In absence of any counter point, the only voice being offered becomes the truth. She was the only one talking.

I though it was pretty important for our captain to come out and state the truth on the matter.

Everything else that has come from the club since (especially Ross' comments) have not helped the matter go away.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
rodgerfox wrote: I disagree.

So because Riewoldt potted his mate, and in the eyes of the public lied about posing for a photo, now all the chicks out there are going to re-sign??

Fair dinkum.

Riewoldt didn't appease anyone, or anything - except himself. He made it sound like there is serious friction between the the players, and made it clear that he wasn't upset in the slightest about the impact this had on the club - but was only worried about the impact it was going to have on him.

These nude photos were never a 'scandal' for the club. The only 'scandal' was that the initial hope of the media and footy public was that there was a group sex scandal.

That should have been put to rest simply, and without fuss by simply releasing a statement with the facts.

Instead they fanned the flames and made a massive deal out of it.

There never was a scandal for the club. There was embarrassment for the players involved I assume, but that's it.
They did the 'crime', so stiff shiit. Who cared anyway?

But after a press conference with the captain protecting his own image at the expense of the club and his mates, then that fool Ross Levine huffing and puffing like a hero out the front of court - hey presto! We have a big scandal for the club!
What planet do you live on!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:I'm simply saying that the club, and the club's captain, were quite entitled to handle it they way they did.
"entitled", sure. but they were definitely wrong. hindsight says that at that point they should have been keeping their gobs shut and working feverishly behind the scenes to negotiate with the girl. they could have kept the whole story down to a week or so, rather than seven weeks and counting.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Nothing is more irrelevant (or predictable) in all this than the views of GT.

I couldn't even be bothered finishing the article, and I'm sure a journo only bothered contacting him because this thing has just about run its course for now, and they wanted to eek another story out of it.

He's not even a human headline anymore, he's a human footnote.

We'll probably hear very little of him this year, and nothing next year.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:RF,

The scandal was that the "troubled schoolgirl" was passing these photos off as hers...in that she'd taken them. Implicating Roo, Zac and Dal as being party to these activities in the presence of a minor.

In absence of any counter point, the only voice being offered becomes the truth. She was the only one talking.
They needed to respond.

But it should have been done via a 'matter of fact' press release.

Had they given it the level of 'respect' it deserved (ie. very little), they could have played the victim card themselves from the start.

But instead, they came across as very rattled by it, and therefore it was assumed that they were rattled for a reason.

It also aired the rift between captain and player/s.

Riewoldt, being 'the face of the club' made no effort to protect or defend Dal Santo or Dawson.

The other big mistake was not the court order to stop the photos, it was again the missed opportunity to be the victim in this.
Instead, by using the heavy handed hero approach they made the girl appear to be the victim in all of this. They actually gave eveyone the ammunition to 'barrack' for the girl in all of this.

This also in turn, gave her story that the club shafted her all those months ago when she fell pregnant to one of their players, some creedence.

It was always going to come out that she was lying about the photos. When it did, it should have been a clean cut case of 'ooops, aren't we all embarrassed now that we believed this lying little nasty girl. I guess there's nothing to see here - let's move on'.

But instead, because of the approach the club took, the public and the press simply ignored the facts and kept looking for other angles to roast them.

The approach they've taken now is the absolutely correct one.

suss
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:

If he gave a rats ar@e about the club he would've kept his ill-thought-out, contradictory and rambling opinion to himself. Although I did get the sense he enjoyed the naked picture of Nick Riewoldt.