Gaertner quitting sees another list management blunder!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Gaertner quitting sees another list management blunder!

Gaertner quitting has seen another list management blunder !!! We now have Rookie picks 24, 41, 57 and then Jackson Ferguson (NSW Schol).

Surely if the Gaertner was a sceptical starter they would have approached him well before the third and final list lodgement date, to ensure he was committed to going on.

As it stands with him quitting we will have an unfilled rookie position carried over for the season.

To me this is a major blunder that shouldn't occur in a professional environment. It is another position that our recruiters could have filled and raised the odds of picking up another successful player through the rookie lists.

RL talks about small percentile gains - well that is another down the Drain!

Not good enough SAINTS !!!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Good to see the 'modern football department' paying dividends.

St Lenny
Club Player

As I have no idea what "really" happened, I won't pass judgement. It wasn't to many years ago we didn't even have any rookies, so I don't think I will loose any sleep over this and just trust the club have a reasonable idea of whats going on.

saintlee
Club Player

Re: Gaertner quitting sees another list management blunder!

WinnersOnly wrote:Gaertner quitting has seen another list management blunder !!! We now have Rookie picks 24, 41, 57 and then Jackson Ferguson (NSW Schol).

Surely if the Gaertner was a sceptical starter they would have approached him well before the third and final list lodgement date, to ensure he was committed to going on.

As it stands with him quitting we will have an unfilled rookie position carried over for the season.

To me this is a major blunder that shouldn't occur in a professional environment. It is another position that our recruiters could have filled and raised the odds of picking up another successful player through the rookie lists.

As I understand it, Gaertner only indicated his desire to quit at a late stage, and the Saints wanted him to stay, which further added to the late decision to leave.

Its hardly a major blunder. Its one rookie spot, we still have numerous kids on our main list and then 3 or 4 rookie spots. Its a minor hiccup in my view.

saintlee
Club Player

St Lenny wrote:As I have no idea what "really" happened, I won't pass judgement. It wasn't to many years ago we didn't even have any rookies, so I don't think I will loose any sleep over this and just trust the club have a reasonable idea of whats going on.
Exactly, this thread is a total overreaction

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:Its hardly a major blunder. Its one rookie spot, we still have numerous kids on our main list and then 3 or 4 rookie spots. Its a minor hiccup in my view.
ideally, we would have all our rookie spots filled, as it's pretty obvious that many clubs get good benefit from their rookie list, including us. that said, last year we were two rookies short, as we had to include allen and l fisher. with those two gone, but wasting a spot on gaertner, we're still ahead of the curve.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
St Lenny wrote:As I have no idea what "really" happened, I won't pass judgement. It wasn't to many years ago we didn't even have any rookies, so I don't think I will loose any sleep over this and just trust the club have a reasonable idea of whats going on.
Exactly, this thread is a total overreaction
Gaertner was a far better prospect than whoever it is we may have rookied with the now gone pick.

Makes perfect sense to give him a chance to sort things out, rather than "quick let's cut him coz the List lodgements due tomorrow".

These things happen. It's not a deal, let alone a big deal!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The thread is incorrect. We have the same amount of rookie picks now as before he resigned, it makes no difference to the picks. There is now an extra rookie position vacant.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Gaertner quitting has seen another list management blunder !!! We now have Rookie picks 24, 41, 57 and then Jackson Ferguson (NSW Schol).

All is lost.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

All is lost.
Tis the pivotal moment that we can trace back to if we again come up short in 2011 :shock:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

No disrespect to Gaertner, but he was going to struggle to ever break into a regular spot in the team. He is in his 20s getting paid peanuts for a huge commitment. He may have been able to push himself through for a couple of senior games this year before being delisted. Can see why he didn't want to take another year to see where it would take him.

It's not like Caydn Beetham or Luke Ball where we lost a high draft player for nil. A lot of rookie spots go unfilled in afl because it is rare for any of them to break into the team regularly. Good luck to him in all future endeavours. Less competition for the big Irishman to get a game now.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:The thread is incorrect. We have the same amount of rookie picks now as before he resigned, it makes no difference to the picks. There is now an extra rookie position vacant.
Please confirm as I had a look at the FINAL Draft list and it only had us with three selections.

Joffaboy come on mate you are better than that! No it is "not the end of the world" but I would rather give another kid the chance than not, in the hope he might turn out as the next Dean COX etc...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Bono
Club Player

We have 4 picks in total. One of those has already been accounted for with Jackson Ferguson

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Has he even officially quit the club? He is still appears on our team list on the saints website: http://www.saints.com.au/rookie/tabid/1 ... fault.aspx

Even if we are 1 rookie down its not the end of the world. How many rookies have actually come off our list and played? From memory theres only been Dawson in past few years. Before that Clint Jones and McQualter (but he was re-drafted as a rookie)

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Eddie and Geary both started as Rookies did'nt they?

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Has he actually gone ?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Eddie and Geary both started as Rookies did'nt they?
Yes I believe so - also Milne.

The Docker have done very well out of their Rookie lists :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:Has he actually gone ?
Exactly

Cmon Winners Only...you started this thred stating he'd gone...can we see some proff that things have gone further than him considering leaving?

Did we all miss something, or are you just assuming he'll go so you can have a cheap shot at the Club?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I've just received an email from the CLub with a new ammended list of players available to sponsor, after I wrote to them that Walsh and Gaertner were 'missing' from my list.

The new ammended list includes them both.

Maybe it's no longer current?
But at this stage the Club is still offering Gaertner up for sponsorship.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

If i'd read this thread before i went to Moorabbin today i'd have asked Danny Sexton what was happening with Gaertner when i spoke to him briefly.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I've just received an email from the CLub with a new ammended list of players available to sponsor, after I wrote to them that Walsh and Gaertner were 'missing' from my list.

Well unless geatner changes his mind I wouldnt be buying that one.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I've just received an email from the CLub with a new ammended list of players available to sponsor, after I wrote to them that Walsh and Gaertner were 'missing' from my list.

Well unless geatner changes his mind I wouldnt be buying that one.
Agreed, but the point is still valid - has there been an official announcement from either the player or the Club that he has quit?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Good to see the 'modern football department' paying dividends.
Yes much better the old way with bugga all rookies...that was much better wasn't it. :roll:

I mean the previous crew produced basically no one. You have to go back to the era before the previous crew to get Milne etc.

Seriously you churn through the rookies. They have issues which is why they are rookies.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:Has he actually gone ?
His dad writing on BigFooty has basically stated so...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

This thread isnt serious is it....

Someone quits in between list lodgements and its the list managers fault.