Gaertner Going .. ????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Middo
Club Player

Gaertner Going .. ????

Would be a pity to lose a guy this size who has shown a little bit over his time on the rookie list.Hopefully the club can talk him around !!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

please explain?

for the record ill go nuts if he goes. the guy is a freak athlete and showed he can play footy. ive been saying he got a bum run last year and he should have been promoted.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

see here

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 5960487349

If he's not committed then he should go

Another opportunity awaits!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:see here

yeah he should go. along with armo, simpkin and smith and all our other talented young players who have been totally ignored in the last 2 years in the name of "role players" and "gap fillers". cool.

and yes we have been awesome in that time. but our awesomeness rested on 10 or so great players. no excuse for not giving talented kids a chance in the other 12 spots from time to time.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

yeah he should go. along with armo, simpkin and smith and all our other talented young players who have been totally ignored in the last 2 years in the name of "role players" and "gap fillers". cool.

and yes we have been awesome in that time. but our awesomeness rested on 10 or so great players. no excuse for not giving talented kids a chance in the other 12 spots from time to time.
He's a rookie. You don't just get gifted games. If his heart isn't in it then he should leave.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

He's a rookie. You don't just get gifted games. If his heart isn't in it then he should leave.
yeah like that hack warney. gifted games. should have earnt it. like every team low on the ladder who plays young players. how dare they!. this is arrogance talking on your behalf. you sound like an old aristocrat. remember a guy called goddard? gifted games early when he was 18. what a dud! it akes 50-80 games for a player to get any good.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Stop pushing your own barrow.

Tell me what's the guy done to deserve a game?

If he doesn't want to stay then what should the club do. Chain him to his locker?

It's a pity he wants to leave without giving it a proper crack.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:Stop pushing your own barrow.

If he doesn't want to stay then what should the club do. Chain him to his locker?

whats my barrow? i dont know the guy personally. my barrow is no different to ur barrow.

if i have a barrow it is that the development culture in the last 5 years has sucked. no matter where u are on the ladder u should never forget to develop players. its core business.

and we can really afford to lose some our under 21 talent cos we had so many in our first team in september. oh yes all none of them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

whats my barrow? i dont know the guy personally. my barrow is no different to ur barrow.

if i have a barrow it is that the development culture in the last 5 years has sucked. no matter where u are on the ladder u should never forget to develop players. its core business.

and we can really afford to lose some our under 21 talent cos we had so many in our first team in september. oh yes all none of them.
Con how many games did you see him play. I saw a fair few over 2 years and heard about many others. He wasnt even close to getting a game because he wasnt good enough at that stage. We have been top 4 in those two years so you dont gift games when you are winning. I dont understand the Warnie comparison. Australia were crying out for a leg spinner so gave him a chance. How in the hell were the Saints crying out for a tall spare parts player with no good form. As others have said if his heart isnt in it he should go. Not everyone wants to be an AFL footballer and we cant make them want to be one.
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 25 Nov 2010 8:09am, edited 1 time in total.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

If Steve thinks he can get a game elsewhere, them best of luck to him. I can't say I feel he's been hard done by the club.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:and yes we have been awesome in that time. but our awesomeness rested on 10 or so great players.
Absolutely correct.

If the only the coach could see past his ego and realise that this is the case and not his wonderful, genius 'structures' and 'systems'.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

it's a shame if Steven Goes- has always given it a go at Sandy IMhumbleO

and they may have kept Blake if they thought Steven wanted a change...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:and yes we have been awesome in that time. but our awesomeness rested on 10 or so great players.
Absolutely correct.

If the only the coach could see past his ego and realise that this is the case and not his wonderful, genius 'structures' and 'systems'.
But RF you have previously said the bottom 6 dont matter. Sounds like you think they do.

Expect something along the line saying where did I say that.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Absolutely correct.

But RF you have previously said the bottom 6 dont matter. Sounds like you think they do.

Your lack of punctuation and correct grammar make it difficult to understand what you're saying/asking.

But I'll try....

The coach's game plan doesn't allow the '10 or so great players' to play their natural, instinctive game.

The game plan is almost like a 'ball and chain' tied to their legs.

As for the lack of development of youngsters, the issue there is not the bottom 6 being critical. It's that our '10 or so great players' aren't going to be there for forever. And everyone knows it's the best players that win games and flags - so if Lyon doesn't have a succession plan for them we're going to have a very, very ordinary 'top 10' in a couple of years.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote: remember a guy called goddard? gifted games early when he was 18. what a dud! it akes 50-80 games for a player to get any good.
There's a huge difference between a number one draft pick and the bloke taken at 58 in the rookie draft.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Absolutely correct.

Your lack of punctuation and correct grammar make it difficult to understand what you're saying/asking.

But I'll try....

The coach's game plan doesn't allow the '10 or so great players' to play their natural, instinctive game.

The game plan is almost like a 'ball and chain' tied to their legs.

As for the lack of development of youngsters, the issue there is not the bottom 6 being critical. It's that our '10 or so great players' aren't going to be there for forever. And everyone knows it's the best players that win games and flags - so if Lyon doesn't have a succession plan for them we're going to have a very, very ordinary 'top 10' in a couple of years.
With those issues that you say we have I am surprised we even made the finals. Either that or you cleary think we are probably 10 goals better than any other side in the AFL.

It is my opinion that with the side we had that if we didnt have the structures RL has put in place that we would be 5 to 8th side.

As for last paragraph I totally agree but after winning one flag in 114 years I think the way we are going about it gives us the best chance to win a flag whilst the window is open. However we will fall quickly so lets hope we get over the line in the next 2 years.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: It is my opinion that with the side we had that if we didnt have the structures RL has put in place that we would be 5 to 8th side.
That's obviously where we disagree.

St Lenny
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: remember a guy called goddard? gifted games early when he was 18. what a dud! it akes 50-80 games for a player to get any good.
There's a huge difference between a number one draft pick and the bloke taken at 58 in the rookie draft.
Dont tell Robert Eddy that!!!!!!!!!!!!

These guys really need to step up this year, they have hardly been beating the door down for a game.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

this was on st kilda's big footy- not sure if its true, but

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthrea ... st19655062

Yes unfortunately Steven just didn't enjoy the footy life.

He wanted to leave at season's end but was talked into staying and went to the first session yesterday and realised he just didn't have the dedication required to be a success.

Apparently it is quite common in AFL footy for players to not enjoy the life and most battle through and just become very depressed.

Whilst he had the physical talent he didn't have enough desire or will to be a success required to make it.

Good luck next year Saints you got some pretty talented pickups in the draft.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

It would be sad to see him leave but if his head and heart are not in it, what can you do?

What does this mean in terms of the number of rookies we can select? Can we chose another to fill his spot if he actually does leave?

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:please explain?

for the record ill go nuts if he goes. the guy is a freak athlete and showed he can play footy. ive been saying he got a bum run last year and he should have been promoted.
The coaching staff WANT him to stay, Gaertner wants out of football full stop. does not have the desire to play. My nephew is one of his best mates, played with him all of his junior career. Steven told him that he hates the AFL life and cannot commit to it anymore, the club asked him to reconsider

saintly
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:

The coaching staff WANT him to stay, Gaertner wants out of football full stop. does not have the desire to play. My nephew is one of his best mates, played with him all of his junior career. Steven told him that he hates the AFL life and cannot commit to it anymore, the club asked him to reconsider
thanx for the info. it least its now confimred that he wants to quit altogether.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Con how many games did you see him play. I saw a fair few over 2 years and heard about many others. He wasnt even close to getting a game because he wasnt good enough at that stage. We have been top 4 in those two years so you dont gift games when you are winning. I dont understand the Warnie comparison. Australia were crying out for a leg spinner so gave him a chance. How in the hell were the Saints crying out for a tall spare parts player with no good form. As others have said if his heart isnt in it he should go. Not everyone wants to be an AFL footballer and we cant make them want to be one.
And Warnie was not chosen from the St.Kilda Second 11 to play for Australia, he was playing for his state.

For the record young fat Warnie got 1-150 with Ravi Sastri tearing him a new one.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:

thanx for the info. it least its now confimred that he wants to quit altogether.
Despite the undoubted glamour and rewards an AFL career can bring, the dedication required to just stay on a list is something very few of us, if any, can comprehend.

Therefore it is my belief that regardless of what the coaching staff may say to Gaertner, or what Nick, Lenny or BJ may say to him, the correct decision is to walk away.

And I say that as a fan of the kid.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Absolutely correct.

Here we go again